mt-82 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
True,just wonder where the synchros and bearings are made.Even though my M82 has been pretty trouble free on my 2013,I still am really carefully when i'm shifting.
Maybe thinking i should have gotten the 6 speed auto transmission instead.
Love my auto. I can only imagine how pissed I'd be if I'd bought a manual and had these problems. So it does look like in many cases the auto will out shift the manual.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Synchronizers may not be the best, but things can exacerbate this issue and make it worse.

Clutch engagement: If the clutch doesn't disengage when it should, synchronizers are overworked, forcing the gear speeds to match for smooth engagement. Issues with possible air in the lines and flywheel bolts back out (early '11s) has an impact on this.

Rev hang: Letting rpms drop to what they are for the next upper gear reduces synchronizer usage and wear. However, our cars have bad rev hang issues. This is part of the tune, to reduce unburnt fuel for emissions purposes. It eats up the transmission though. I've also heard the extra weight of a DMF will keep the momentum going and increase rev hang. I hate, hate it, hate it, and it's my #1 issue with shifting this car.

Oh, did I mention I hate rev hang?

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Love my auto. I can only imagine how pissed I'd be if I'd bought a manual and had these problems. So it does look like in many cases the auto will out shift the manual.
My last one was an auto. I am still glad I got the manual regardless of issues. My last auto had a few issues too. Sealed trannys are bad designs too IMO. Ford had issues with leaking tranny pumps and not filling the torque converters all the way. No way to check that unless you pull the tranny. Also had issues with not enough fluid in the transmissions too. ALso, the trans would barf out fluid from the vent at the top when the fluid got too hot and their is no refill tube so you end up not being able to check the trans fluid or add. If you dont get lucky and find a puddle of fluid under your parked car then you are SOL of even knowing it barfed out fluid... Dumb design. Neither are perfect. I went for the fun factor this time...
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post

My last one was an auto. I am still glad I got the manual regardless of issues. My last auto had a few issues too. Sealed trannys are bad designs too IMO. Ford had issues with leaking tranny pumps and not filling the torque converters all the way. No way to check that unless you pull the tranny. Also had issues with not enough fluid in the transmissions too. ALso, the trans would barf out fluid from the vent at the top when the fluid got too hot and their is no refill tube so you end up not being able to check the trans fluid or add. If you dont get lucky and find a puddle of fluid under your parked car then you are SOL of even knowing it barfed out fluid... Dumb design. Neither are perfect. I went for the fun factor this time...
+1 I've driven auto my whole life and glad I chose a manual! My last 5.0 I blew out the tranny. I've also had had my old t-bird get stuck in second gear. Wasn't cheap to fix either one. I've got nothing against auto's but on average most reviewers also agree to choose the manual over the auto.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Grand Prixs... where shall I start?

4T65E has numerous issues. Boost sleeve for pressure control solenoid going out, causing fluid to leak by, so it keeps commanding higher pressure until it shifts like like someone is hitting the car with a baseball bat. Only way to reset it, is to turn the car off and retry.

They can't handle power at all. Once you get over 300whp, you'll break the input shaft, differential (burnouts), or drive chain. 1" drive chain made by GM is super rare and if you find one it will run you $1000~ used.

Thing's aren't so bad in Mustang land. lol

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post

Yea alot have engine block heaters but not transmission heaters, my 2012 base has an engine block heater, does yours not have one?
Is that the funny sounding noise when you start it up, sounds like a loose belt or something
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Is that the funny sounding noise when you start it up, sounds like a loose belt or something
I sometimes get that loose belt sound also. I've tried the a.c thing that some people tried and still get it sometimes.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Synchronizers may not be the best, but things can exacerbate this issue and make it worse.

Clutch engagement: If the clutch doesn't disengage when it should, synchronizers are overworked, forcing the gear speeds to match for smooth engagement. Issues with possible air in the lines and flywheel bolts back out (early '11s) has an impact on this.

Rev hang: Letting rpms drop to what they are for the next upper gear reduces synchronizer usage and wear. However, our cars have bad rev hang issues. This is part of the tune, to reduce unburnt fuel for emissions purposes. It eats up the transmission though. I've also heard the extra weight of a DMF will keep the momentum going and increase rev hang. I hate, hate it, hate it, and it's my #1 issue with shifting this car.

Oh, did I mention I hate rev hang?
Rev hang is also my #1 issue with my manual. Being up here in Canada I can say the cold definitely has an effect on my tranny. Even at just a few degrees above freezing its notchy in 2nd and third, but clutch feel is still good and consistent.Once it warms up its smooth as silk!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. I hate when it's cold, it rev hangs even worse. I have got to get a tune some day.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Umm no.its a heater that keeps you coolant warm
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Yep. I hate when it's cold, it rev hangs even worse. I have got to get a tune some day.
I have a bama tune and my rev hang problem is still there.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Its the DMF that makes revs hang. The tune is part of it but the major issue is the DMF. The GT doesnt have the DMF and no rev hanging at all.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #48
Road Trip!

Region: New York
IMO with my tranny i do not think it is a synchro problem in temperatures above freezing I have no issues, but when it gets cold out it is clunky or just as I'm in the gear there is a slight grind but as soon as the car is warm it goes away and U have no issues. It feels more like the clutch is not fully engaged but when it warms up no problems. This week will be a tough one we are looking at high in the low teens and below zero lows. Going to leave the Stang warm up for about 20 minutes before heading out. As long as my car is warmed up I can power shift all I want!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
IMO with my tranny i do not think it is a synchro problem in temperatures above freezing I have no issues, but when it gets cold out it is clunky or just as I'm in the gear there is a slight grind but as soon as the car is warm it goes away and U have no issues. It feels more like the clutch is not fully engaged but when it warms up no problems. This week will be a tough one we are looking at high in the low teens and below zero lows. Going to leave the Stang warm up for about 20 minutes before heading out. As long as my car is warmed up I can power shift all I want!!!
For me, when its cold, going from second to third with the clutch fully pressed ill feel a little grind but I wait a second while the clutch is still pressed it pops in third no problem. I bought my car in June and it was fine up until the first week of October when the outside temp started to drop. My car sits in a semi heated garage, 5 or 8 degrees on cold days, most of the winter and even at that temp when I take it out 15-20 mins it still has its notchyness until it warms up. It seems cold to ambient temps effects shifting quality. I will see if it returns to normal operation in the spring. If not ill start by swapping fluid,some people on this forum says it really helped.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Will be dropping off my car tomorrow morning at the dealership... they told me to expect my car to be there for a week or two... im afraid
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Will be dropping off my car tomorrow morning at the dealership... they told me to expect my car to be there for a week or two... im afraid
Lol. A week or two?! Did they say what they are doing to it? Keep us posted. Would like to hear a different answer than the "its common with these trannys" I got with my dealer. Major powertrain components should be made in north America Imo, what's next the 15's engines made in China?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Lol. A week or two?! Did they say what they are doing to it? Keep us posted. Would like to hear a different answer than the "its common with these trannys" I got with my dealer. Major powertrain components should be made in north America Imo, what's next the 15's engines made in China?
Lol true... they said they wrrr gonna take down the transmission to inspect it anf srr what's wrong with it then to order thr pqrtd gonnq take time
Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol true... they said they wrrr gonna take down the transmission to inspect it anf srr what's wrong with it then to order thr pqrtd gonnq take time
Glad to hear their really going to check it out.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad to hear their really going to check it out.
Yeha they said they didn't find anything wrong so I took them around the dealership and bam grind on 2 pops out the gears... and notchy like a feeling of the gear having the synchronizers in the way
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us posted.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Just got a call back from my dealership said they opened up my transmission and found bits of metal shedding in the fluid note uts a 5,000 mile car. Ford said to leave my transmission alone and that they will send a replacement for it. Then ford called my dealership and said to check my transmission disassemble it completely and check the shift forks every gear and every little thing then to quote how much it would cost to repair it or what went wrong... so idk if I will get a new transmission or repair mine or even if ford will try and evade repairing it...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Well metal bits is probably synchronizers, especially if they're brass or bronze material.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well metal bits is probably synchronizers, especially if they're brass or bronze material.
Would shedding from the gears babe visible too, has grinded from R 1-6
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Normally you have to shred a ton of synchronizer to start wearing down gears. Was it ever popping out of gear on you when not under load?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Normally you have to shred a ton of synchronizer to start wearing down gears. Was it ever popping out of gear on you when not under load?
Yeha it would pop them and sometimes the gear wouldnt be able to go fully in Idk if that makes sense and start grinding it and pop it out
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us posted on what Ford says/ does. I hope it all goes well for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got a call back from my dealership said they opened up my transmission and found bits of metal shedding in the fluid note uts a 5,000 mile car. Ford said to leave my transmission alone and that they will send a replacement for it. Then ford called my dealership and said to check my transmission disassemble it completely and check the shift forks every gear and every little thing then to quote how much it would cost to repair it or what went wrong... so idk if I will get a new transmission or repair mine or even if ford will try and evade repairing it...
Glad to hear Ford is being proactive. It will be good as new. Keep us posted.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad to hear Ford is being proactive. It will be good as new. Keep us posted.
But it is new lol and will do hopefully everything goes well
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But it is new lol and will do hopefully everything goes well
I meant good as new......again. lol. Any news yet?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I meant good as new......again. lol. Any news yet?
Nope not at this time if they dont call ill call tomorow afternoon I miss my baby! :'(
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Just got a call back from my dealership ford will be replacing it completely with a brand new one... I asked what happend to mine what cause it they didnt know what it was. I also asked if there is any difference from the new transmission that wthey will be putting in they said it should be basically the same. Also asked if it would happen again with the new transmission they said they dont know... so I am getting a new transmission in it but if it could happen again..
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

So glad to hear your getting taken care of.Once you get your car back,you might want
to think about putting an aftermarket shifter bracket on.From when my car was new, I
never drove it hard,until after I installed one.I just didn't like the feel of it stock,way to sloppy.Funny how Ford can't tell you what, the problem was.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
So glad to hear your getting taken care of.Once you get your car back,you might want
to think about putting an aftermarket shifter bracket on.From when my car was new, I
never drove it hard,until after I installed one.I just didn't like the feel of it stock,way to sloppy.Funny how Ford can't tell you what, the problem was.
Yeha and they couldn't answer if there was a chance it would happen again...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

It's luck of the draw, sadly.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's luck of the draw, sadly.
Is this common?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang