mt-82 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Full issue like his? Not common. '11s had some issues exacerbated by flywheel bolts coming loose. In '12 they upgraded the transmission and had a TSB for cold weather fluid change. '13s come with all those changes.

Almost everyone has notchy issues with 2nd. The grinds and and failures are a much smaller unlucky few.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Full issue like his? Not common. '11s had some issues exacerbated by flywheel bolts coming loose. In '12 they upgraded the transmission and had a TSB for cold weather fluid change. '13s come with all those changes.

Almost everyone has notchy issues with 2nd. The grinds and and failures are a much smaller unlucky few.
Good to know. It was - 21 and with the wind chill they said it was -32 today in montreal! Going into second was a challenge and third was a little "grindy" even with the car running for 30 mins. I guess when the tranny casing is that cold it never really warms up. Lol
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I dont think it has to do with temperature... I think thats bull **** with all due respect cause when I would get these symptoms it was in the high 80s-105s I live in south texas and I have a 12'. It might be more apparent in the cold but I dont believe is cause of that... judt cheap balts that are in the transmission to keep noise down but as cold weather comes in it increase due to tje viscosity changin. I am not a "ford tech" but I do have a good level of mechanics. Idk just what I think cause a car with 5k miles is not suppose to even be notchy in any gears, mine did in all gears and in normal temperature.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
I dont think it has to do with temperature... I think thats bull **** with all due respect cause when I would get these symptoms it was in the high 80s-105s I live in south texas and I have a 12'. It might be more apparent in the cold but I dont believe is cause of that... judt cheap balts that are in the transmission to keep noise down but as cold weather comes in it increase due to tje viscosity changin. I am not a "ford tech" but I do have a good level of mechanics. Idk just what I think cause a car with 5k miles is not suppose to even be notchy in any gears, mine did in all gears and in normal temperature.
I hear you! Mine started in late October when temps starting dropping near freezing. Today is exceptionally cold for us. But when its a "normal" temp in our winter like -8 after 20 mins its fine. I've read other drivers experience almost identical issues with 2nd in cold to ambient weather. In fact Ford issued a tsb for the 11/12 models because some owners couldn't shift into second when they were cold. There solution was to change the type of tranny fluid for better operation but it still wasn't perfect....just better. In the summer its smooth as silk ill be watching in the spring to make sure it returns back to normal shifting.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Idling the car does nothing to warm the transmission. You've got to drive it unfortunately. Some guys actually skip 2nd and just put it in 3rd, or start off in 2nd.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know, even letting it sit for 10-15 minutes does nothing. Stop and go also takes longer to warm up, I've noticed that the best and quickest way if possible is to get on a highway.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Or do a burn out
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Idling the car does nothing to warm the transmission. You've got to drive it unfortunately. Some guys actually skip 2nd and just put it in 3rd, or start off in 2nd.
Got a question for you if you don't mind? Why is it that its only in second that its so notchy when cold and not through every gear?

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Or do a burn out
Lmfao.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Could be the stress on that one gear (and synchros) due to the steeper ratio or even with how the synchronizers on that gear are designed/spaced. If I knew the exact answer though, I think everyone would and there would be a fix.

The only people who probably know that answer are Ford and Getrag.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Glad to hear it is a full replacement. Good luck with the new one. Keep us posted if you have further issues.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Guys I just got my car back from the shop transmission works fine a lil air in the clutch that needs to come out a lil break in milage you kno. Still feels a little notchy but not much no grinds or pops for now. Completely new transmission they said what went wrong was the inside components had too much play and it needed shims inside so it wouldnt play and grind the synchros. I asked what fluid my transmission has they told me the mk fluid as it is in it already from the factory.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guys I just got my car back from the shop transmission works fine a lil air in the clutch that needs to come out a lil break in milage you kno. Still feels a little notchy but not much no grinds or pops for now. Completely new transmission they said what went wrong was the inside components had too much play and it needed shims inside so it wouldnt play and grind the synchros. I asked what fluid my transmission has they told me the mk fluid as it is in it already from the factory.
Nice! Congrats. Notchiness comes standard in the mt-82. Lol
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Nice! Congrats. Notchiness comes standard in the mt-82. Lol
Would an mgw or barten shifter fix that?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would an mgw or barten shifter fix that?
Hope so! Gonna start with the barton two post shifter bracket.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tell me how it goes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Get the shifter also. U won't regret it trust me.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #87
Road Trip!

Region: New York
In below freezing my tranny was notchy after about 15 minutes of driving it is fine the colder it is out it was harder to shift. I just had the technical service bulletin performed on it and now it shifts much better. If you tranny is hard shifting and notchy when cold go to your dealer and have the do the TSB.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
In below freezing my tranny was notchy after about 15 minutes of driving it is fine the colder it is out it was harder to shift. I just had the technical service bulletin performed on it and now it shifts much better. If you tranny is hard shifting and notchy when cold go to your dealer and have the do the TSB.
The thing is they replaced my old one with this new one I askrd what oil it had they said mk something idk if that is good they said it was in the transmission already as it is sealed
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #89
Road Trip!

The TSB replaces the factory fluid with something else... I can not remember what the service rep told me it was. It has improved the shift quality of my tranny when cold. This was my cars first winter and I purchased it at the end of last March I put 20,000 mile on until the cold weather shifting problems started. It get pretty cold here in upstate NY.

If anyone with the MT-82 has a notchy shift tranny in cold temps get the TSB service done. It is free and paid for by Ford 100%. I would assume if you ignore the TSB you are just cause damage to your tranny and a headache down the road.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The TSB replaces the factory fluid with something else... I can not remember what the service rep told me it was. It has improved the shift quality of my tranny when cold. This was my cars first winter and I purchased it at the end of last March I put 20,000 mile on until the cold weather shifting problems started. It get pretty cold here in upstate NY.

If anyone with the MT-82 has a notchy shift tranny in cold temps get the TSB service done. It is free and paid for by Ford 100%. I would assume if you ignore the TSB you are just cause damage to your tranny and a headache down the road.
If I remember right it was a ford dual clutch fluid
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post

If I remember right it was a ford dual clutch fluid
Does it come included on new replacement transmissions
Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Idk about that but I had the tsb done on my car
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #93
Road Trip!

Quote:

You might want talk with your dealer to see if the replacement tranny was filled with the fluid used in the technical service bulletin. If not I would demand they change it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might want talk with your dealer to see if the replacement tranny was filled with the fluid used in the technical service bulletin. If not I would demand they change it.
Ill contact my dealer but good thibg no grinds or gear pops yay lol feels firmer just a lil notchy on first gear but that is probably due to the cheap bracket and shifter
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

To all having transmission issues hope this help and dont buy into the whole transmission oil replacement gig

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130205_011449.png
Views:	108
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	89275
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
I have a bama tune and my rev hang problem is still there.
Have you discussed this with BAMA to see if they can adjust the tunes to remove this?

I just ordered mine, but it will be a few days before I receive the tuner and I think I have to send them the base tune before they can send me the custom tunes (it's an inTune).
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obokky

Have you discussed this with BAMA to see if they can adjust the tunes to remove this?

I just ordered mine, but it will be a few days before I receive the tuner and I think I have to send them the base tune before they can send me the custom tunes (it's an inTune).
No I haven't, but I should.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You can search for 2011, 2012, and 2013 Mustang complaints here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints

over the first two years you will find hundreds of complaints on the MT82, plus an investigation, and the TSB on replacing oil type.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
You can search for 2011, 2012, and 2013 Mustang complaints here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints

over the first two years you will find hundreds of complaints on the MT82, plus an investigation, and the TSB on replacing oil type.
Wow the majority of complaints in the last year are still with the manual trans. Someone should put together a Class Action suit. One company out there had a suit against them that didn't result un a recall but the warranty was required to be 15 yrs or 150,000 miles. The manual trans issue here is a safety issue.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Wow the majority of complaints in the last year are still with the manual trans. Someone should put together a Class Action suit. One company out there had a suit against them that didn't result un a recall but the warranty was required to be 15 yrs or 150,000 miles. The manual trans issue here is a safety issue.
Correct, and also a good yard stick to determine the "obsessed drive-shaft" is also not an issue in my humble opinion.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Correct, and also a good yard stick to determine the "obsessed drive-shaft" is also not an issue in my humble opinion.
+10000000.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Exactly. There was one driveshaft complaint. Customer says Driveshaft broke while sin was doing burnouts. Warranty denied. No duh.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote:

Exactly. There was one driveshaft complaint. Customer says Driveshaft broke while son was doing burnouts. Warranty denied. No duh.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+10000000.
Thanks MrMike, you are correct. So I ask, why are we NOT seeing folks on all the forums asking...

Quote:
For my next mod should I get new gears or an aftermarket manual transmission?
Mostly... If we had some folks selling them, I hope there are some doing so.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly. There was one driveshaft complaint. Customer says Driveshaft broke while sin was doing burnouts. Warranty denied. No duh.
Hi Midnight your are so correct. It is EVEN more important to find out this was a GT issue, not the Obsessed V6 Drive-shaft issue.

Quote:
TL* THE CONTACT OWN A 2012 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HIS SON WAS DOING A BURN OUT IN THE VEHICLE AND THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS DESTROYED.
I can always "Bee" mistaken, but in my research of that site I found NO V6 drive-shaft issues what so ever.

Art
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks MrMike, you are correct. So I ask, why are we NOT seeing folks on all the forums asking...

Mostly... If we had some folks selling them, I hope there are some doing so.
I'm doing gears and a tune shorty and I'm not concerned at all about my ds. It's something I might change down the line but it will be for the weight reduction and smoother drive line feel. I still believe that the 20 or so pound difference in weight won't give any real performance value though. At least it will be shiny! Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang