Mustang Evolution Forum banner

mt-82

10K views 107 replies 17 participants last post by  ArtU 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been having problems with my transmission by problems I been gear grinding when having the clutch pedal fully pressed in every gear even reverse. Gear popping and feeling of objects that block the gear in like the synchronizers.
I recently went to my ford dealership and like always they didn't belive me until I took them for a ride and got small grinding and difficulty when going into gear... they need to check my transmission sobi told them give me a call when you guys have time... and they told me if they bring it out which most likely will it will take a week to a week and half for the repairs...

How has your mt 82 treated you

#2 ·
I've only grinded a gear once, the 2nd day I owned it. I accidentally let out the clutch too fast when going from 3rd to 4th. It had been 2 years since I'd driven a manual transmission regularly. I've test drove a '00 Camaro and some little compact car in that time frame, but not regularly driving.

That said, I've had it pop out of gear twice on me, both in first. I think that was my fault for bogging the engine still learning clutch engagement. I've been locked out of 3rd a handful of times, I'm thinking due to hitting the shifter gate. Nothing grinded or anything like that, I just hit a wall. 2nd can be really rough going into sometimes. It's super notchy at times. Being slow and precise with how I direct the shifter helps a lot, making me things it's mostly a bracket issue.

First thing this summer, I'm throwing a shifter bracket in it and changing the transmission fluid. I'll see how that goes. 7000 miles on the odo now.

#3 ·
Mines been great.Replaced to trans fluid to Redline MGL and just kept the factory fluid in sealed bottles incase I need to put it back in.I also installed a SR performance short shifter and barton two post shift bracket in.Shifts now with one finger and no grinds ever.It sounds like in your trans something is major wrong.

#4 ·
Yeha thats what the guy said atleast they treat me better than my original dealership. I thought about the shifter and the redline fluid but with the grinds and all I want it to be fixed so it can last me a long time

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

I've only grinded a gear once, the 2nd day I owned it. I accidentally let out the clutch too fast when going from 3rd to 4th. It had been 2 years since I'd driven a manual transmission regularly. I've test drove a '00 Camaro and some little compact car in that time frame, but not regularly driving.

That said, I've had it pop out of gear twice on me, both in first. I think that was my fault for bogging the engine still learning clutch engagement. I've been locked out of 3rd a handful of times, I'm thinking due to hitting the shifter gate. Nothing grinded or anything like that, I just hit a wall. 2nd can be really rough going into sometimes. It's super notchy at times. Being slow and precise with how I direct the shifter helps a lot, making me things it's mostly a bracket issue.

First thing this summer, I'm throwing a shifter bracket in it and changing the transmission fluid. I'll see how that goes. 7000 miles on the odo now.
Not to scare you or anything but thats kinda how mine started just with more grinds... ived driven f350 jettas and everything up trucks in stabdard and it has never happen even when I shift with out the clutch in other vehicles

#6 ·
I've had issues with that, but I've had that issue with other manuals. Just put it in 2nd and it'll slide in 1st like butter.

From what I hear, all MT82s are like mine. I have yet to see a person mention them being silky smooth unless they had no idea what's going on. I'm pretty sure, besides the bracket, that the damn rev-hang "feature" is causing increased synchro wear.

#9 ·
I think they're all plagued with cheap bearings/synchros/shift forks. One of the biggest things is don't force it. If it doesn't want to go in gear, stop, let off pressure, then try again. People who force them can and have bent the sheet metal shift forks. More than a few input shaft bearings have went out and I know of several cases of replaced synchros.

#10 ·
Good information, I just want it fixed if not replaced with better quality parts... cause doesn't make sense to buy a new car with a crappy transmission that is useless... do you know if ford replaces the parts to better quality or the same things just newer...

#12 ·
Most of my problems happen when it is cold, 2nd gear grinds bad, 3rd will slightly grind if I shift to fast, all other gears are difficult to engage but never grind. Since the mt82 was put in the mustang for the 2011 model there have been like 3-4 upgrades to it, the last one I think was for the 13 model with revised synchro spacing on 2nd gear IIRC. This transmission has had problems since it was put in the ford transit van back in the early 2000's

#13 ·
This is very common, my dealer claims ford NA said its normal when cold. Drive about 12 miles warms it up and problem solved. You need to start in second to avoid grinding until the transmissions warm.

This is the only transmission I've had that does this, but it's easy to work around. With the 3.31 option second is fairly easy to start in.

#14 ·
I live in alaska and recently it was 0 to -5 degrees here and my transmission never seemed to warm up, after 30 highway miles and probably 10 city miles it would still be notchy and couldn't shift fast or I would get a grind, the only thing I found to warm it up good was to drive up mountain roads and do some uphill pulls to get more friction to heat things up.

#16 ·
The thing I live in south texas.... this is 90s 100s degree weather and it would happen before the winter... and never dtop with the notichiness or grinds I can't even shift quickly as it dtops me or feels like the synchros get in the way and feels like ill break the shifter.... the transmission cannot be shifted quickly... even when spent over an hour with expressway driving. I honestly dont believe this is "normal" for any transmission :-(

#18 ·
I don't have a heater, I think that's optional anywhere south of NY/VT. Would only help it warm up faster, not really needed. I know a couple guys who have them on their diesels and a civic that uses one to help improve his avg mpg (hyper miler, claims he could get my V6 up to 40mpg but I don't trust the engine off coasting or using clutch to bump start). Plus that's not the point of a Mustang! Lol

Which snow ties do you have? Blizzacks/general artimax/conti extremes?

#19 ·
I just took mine to the dealer the other day and they relaxed the fluid and said it fixes most ,but not mine so the y told me to come get a rental or they would bring me one . And that thy where going take the shifter out today and possibly change it out . Hopefully they will put something better in . If not maybe all this will make it smoother. I didn't think it was a bad as they did though .

#29 ·
As a whole China can not compete with the likes of America, Germany, Italy etc. if you had a choice to have your tranny built here in America or in China which would you choose? I would even spend a few extra hundred to have it built here. At least the chances of problems would be a lot less!!!

#31 ·
I changed the bracket to the Barton one and it made a huge difference. I have had a few shift pops and grinds even after the bracket change but I cant get it to repeat. I also had not driven a manual regularly in 4 years and this tranny and clutch are wonky compared to others. I dont like thr clutch and rev hanging at all. I have only hi rev shifted a handful of times because I dont have confidence in the clutch or the tranny to he honest. I have had a few minor issues with it but I also dont drive it in the cold much either. I think Sanguin nailed it. Precise easy shifts are best. When concentrating on perfect clutch engagement mine shifts great. Get a little sloppy and it locks out, grinds etc. Internal parts are crap

#32 · (Edited)
Also, I do love the extra gear. I also want to buy or make something to make the pedal a little forward. I wish it were out a little more. I think it would help me engage it better. Next mod on my list. I want to also add I had the sve shifter in too and it made grinding in reverse happen. Loved the shorter throw and placement of the shift knob which was placed up and back but coud not deal with rev grind. I took it out a few times, changed reverse lockout spring and spoke with the design guy that made it and he said the shifter was rushed to production.. I still have the shifter as they told me to keep it and gave me my money back. Maybe in the future I will try to figure it out and get it to work.

#34 ·
sprdave said:
True,just wonder where the synchros and bearings are made.Even though my M82 has been pretty trouble free on my 2013,I still am really carefully when i'm shifting.
Maybe thinking i should have gotten the 6 speed auto transmission instead.
The design for our transmission is from getrag which is a German company that makes the trasmissions for cars like bmw, so the design should be rock solid. I remember reading some where some of the parts are actually made in Germany and china probably isn't sending back the parts that don't meet spec and using them in the transmissions.

#35 ·
Yeha I read that too the problem is with the synchros I believe that's how it feels. Also I dont think the clutch has anything to do with the problem... its perfectly fine but if the transmission doesn't synchronize the shifts it will grind no matter how good the clutch is. As I shift or try to shift for that matter you can feel the synchronizers messing up...

#37 ·
Synchronizers may not be the best, but things can exacerbate this issue and make it worse.

Clutch engagement: If the clutch doesn't disengage when it should, synchronizers are overworked, forcing the gear speeds to match for smooth engagement. Issues with possible air in the lines and flywheel bolts back out (early '11s) has an impact on this.

Rev hang: Letting rpms drop to what they are for the next upper gear reduces synchronizer usage and wear. However, our cars have bad rev hang issues. This is part of the tune, to reduce unburnt fuel for emissions purposes. It eats up the transmission though. I've also heard the extra weight of a DMF will keep the momentum going and increase rev hang. I hate, hate it, hate it, and it's my #1 issue with shifting this car.

Oh, did I mention I hate rev hang?

#43 ·
Rev hang is also my #1 issue with my manual. Being up here in Canada I can say the cold definitely has an effect on my tranny. Even at just a few degrees above freezing its notchy in 2nd and third, but clutch feel is still good and consistent.Once it warms up its smooth as silk!

#40 ·
Grand Prixs... where shall I start?

4T65E has numerous issues. Boost sleeve for pressure control solenoid going out, causing fluid to leak by, so it keeps commanding higher pressure until it shifts like like someone is hitting the car with a baseball bat. Only way to reset it, is to turn the car off and retry.

They can't handle power at all. Once you get over 300whp, you'll break the input shaft, differential (burnouts), or drive chain. 1" drive chain made by GM is super rare and if you find one it will run you $1000~ used.

Thing's aren't so bad in Mustang land. lol

#96 ·
Have you discussed this with BAMA to see if they can adjust the tunes to remove this?

I just ordered mine, but it will be a few days before I receive the tuner and I think I have to send them the base tune before they can send me the custom tunes (it's an inTune).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.