mt-82 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
I have been having problems with my transmission by problems I been gear grinding when having the clutch pedal fully pressed in every gear even reverse. Gear popping and feeling of objects that block the gear in like the synchronizers.
I recently went to my ford dealership and like always they didn't belive me until I took them for a ride and got small grinding and difficulty when going into gear... they need to check my transmission sobi told them give me a call when you guys have time... and they told me if they bring it out which most likely will it will take a week to a week and half for the repairs...

How has your mt 82 treated you
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
I've only grinded a gear once, the 2nd day I owned it. I accidentally let out the clutch too fast when going from 3rd to 4th. It had been 2 years since I'd driven a manual transmission regularly. I've test drove a '00 Camaro and some little compact car in that time frame, but not regularly driving.

That said, I've had it pop out of gear twice on me, both in first. I think that was my fault for bogging the engine still learning clutch engagement. I've been locked out of 3rd a handful of times, I'm thinking due to hitting the shifter gate. Nothing grinded or anything like that, I just hit a wall. 2nd can be really rough going into sometimes. It's super notchy at times. Being slow and precise with how I direct the shifter helps a lot, making me things it's mostly a bracket issue.

First thing this summer, I'm throwing a shifter bracket in it and changing the transmission fluid. I'll see how that goes. 7000 miles on the odo now.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sprdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Region: Canada
Posts: 148
Mines been great.Replaced to trans fluid to Redline MGL and just kept the factory fluid in sealed bottles incase I need to put it back in.I also installed a SR performance short shifter and barton two post shift bracket in.Shifts now with one finger and no grinds ever.It sounds like in your trans something is major wrong.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
Mines been great.Replaced to trans fluid to Redline MGL and just kept the factory fluid in sealed bottles incase I need to put it back in.I also installed a SR performance short shifter and barton two post shift bracket in.Shifts now with one finger and no grinds ever.It sounds like in your trans something is major wrong.
Yeha thats what the guy said atleast they treat me better than my original dealership. I thought about the shifter and the redline fluid but with the grinds and all I want it to be fixed so it can last me a long time

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I've only grinded a gear once, the 2nd day I owned it. I accidentally let out the clutch too fast when going from 3rd to 4th. It had been 2 years since I'd driven a manual transmission regularly. I've test drove a '00 Camaro and some little compact car in that time frame, but not regularly driving.

That said, I've had it pop out of gear twice on me, both in first. I think that was my fault for bogging the engine still learning clutch engagement. I've been locked out of 3rd a handful of times, I'm thinking due to hitting the shifter gate. Nothing grinded or anything like that, I just hit a wall. 2nd can be really rough going into sometimes. It's super notchy at times. Being slow and precise with how I direct the shifter helps a lot, making me things it's mostly a bracket issue.

First thing this summer, I'm throwing a shifter bracket in it and changing the transmission fluid. I'll see how that goes. 7000 miles on the odo now.
Not to scare you or anything but thats kinda how mine started just with more grinds... ived driven f350 jettas and everything up trucks in stabdard and it has never happen even when I shift with out the clutch in other vehicles
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Shift kits void your warranty so watch out. I haven't had problems except for taking 2-3 tries to get into 1st from reverse. Maybe 5 times. Its only got about 5k miles though
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Shift kits void your warranty so watch out. I haven't had problems except for taking 2-3 tries to get into 1st from reverse. Maybe 5 times. Its only got about 5k miles though
I've had issues with that, but I've had that issue with other manuals. Just put it in 2nd and it'll slide in 1st like butter.

From what I hear, all MT82s are like mine. I have yet to see a person mention them being silky smooth unless they had no idea what's going on. I'm pretty sure, besides the bracket, that the damn rev-hang "feature" is causing increased synchro wear.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

I've had issues with that, but I've had that issue with other manuals. Just put it in 2nd and it'll slide in 1st like butter.

From what I hear, all MT82s are like mine. I have yet to see a person mention them being silky smooth unless they had no idea what's going on. I'm pretty sure, besides the bracket, that the damn rev-hang "feature" is causing increased synchro wear.
I think the new 13' are better I tried the boss mustang in 13 wayyyy smoothrr and better and its the same just a different shift knob
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
My mt82 has been 100% trouble free.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
I think they're all plagued with cheap bearings/synchros/shift forks. One of the biggest things is don't force it. If it doesn't want to go in gear, stop, let off pressure, then try again. People who force them can and have bent the sheet metal shift forks. More than a few input shaft bearings have went out and I know of several cases of replaced synchros.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I think they're all plagued with cheap bearings/synchros/shift forks. One of the biggest things is don't force it. If it doesn't want to go in gear, stop, let off pressure, then try again. People who force them can and have bent the sheet metal shift forks. More than a few input shaft bearings have went out and I know of several cases of replaced synchros.
Good information, I just want it fixed if not replaced with better quality parts... cause doesn't make sense to buy a new car with a crappy transmission that is useless... do you know if ford replaces the parts to better quality or the same things just newer...
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
I honestly don't know. Something tells me it would be the same low quality stuff though.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ak_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Alaska
Posts: 203
Most of my problems happen when it is cold, 2nd gear grinds bad, 3rd will slightly grind if I shift to fast, all other gears are difficult to engage but never grind. Since the mt82 was put in the mustang for the 2011 model there have been like 3-4 upgrades to it, the last one I think was for the 13 model with revised synchro spacing on 2nd gear IIRC. This transmission has had problems since it was put in the ford transit van back in the early 2000's
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
This is very common, my dealer claims ford NA said its normal when cold. Drive about 12 miles warms it up and problem solved. You need to start in second to avoid grinding until the transmissions warm.

This is the only transmission I've had that does this, but it's easy to work around. With the 3.31 option second is fairly easy to start in.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
ak_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Alaska
Posts: 203
I live in alaska and recently it was 0 to -5 degrees here and my transmission never seemed to warm up, after 30 highway miles and probably 10 city miles it would still be notchy and couldn't shift fast or I would get a grind, the only thing I found to warm it up good was to drive up mountain roads and do some uphill pulls to get more friction to heat things up.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
I live in alaska and recently it was 0 to -5 degrees here and my transmission never seemed to warm up, after 30 highway miles and probably 10 city miles it would still be notchy and couldn't shift fast or I would get a grind, the only thing I found to warm it up good was to drive up mountain roads and do some uphill pulls to get more friction to heat things up.
Sounds like a great place! I can't wait for a trip up that way, it rarely gets below 20s down here in NJ. Do many people have engine/transmission heaters? Might help shifting?
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
The thing I live in south texas.... this is 90s 100s degree weather and it would happen before the winter... and never dtop with the notichiness or grinds I can't even shift quickly as it dtops me or feels like the synchros get in the way and feels like ill break the shifter.... the transmission cannot be shifted quickly... even when spent over an hour with expressway driving. I honestly dont believe this is "normal" for any transmission
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
ak_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Alaska
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy

Sounds like a great place! I can't wait for a trip up that way, it rarely gets below 20s down here in NJ. Do many people have engine/transmission heaters? Might help shifting?
Yea alot have engine block heaters but not transmission heaters, my 2012 base has an engine block heater, does yours not have one?
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post

Yea alot have engine block heaters but not transmission heaters, my 2012 base has an engine block heater, does yours not have one?
I don't have a heater, I think that's optional anywhere south of NY/VT. Would only help it warm up faster, not really needed. I know a couple guys who have them on their diesels and a civic that uses one to help improve his avg mpg (hyper miler, claims he could get my V6 up to 40mpg but I don't trust the engine off coasting or using clutch to bump start). Plus that's not the point of a Mustang! Lol

Which snow ties do you have? Blizzacks/general artimax/conti extremes?
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I just took mine to the dealer the other day and they relaxed the fluid and said it fixes most ,but not mine so the y told me to come get a rental or they would bring me one . And that thy where going take the shifter out today and possibly change it out . Hopefully they will put something better in . If not maybe all this will make it smoother. I didn't think it was a bad as they did though .
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
I just took mine to the dealer the other day and they relaxed the fluid and said it fixes most ,but not mine so the y told me to come get a rental or they would bring me one . And that thy where going take the shifter out today and possibly change it out . Hopefully they will put something better in . If not maybe all this will make it smoother. I didn't think it was a bad as they did though .
I told them that by it grinding so much excessive material of the metal shedding would end up clogging up the passeges and cause more damage
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
I wanted a block heater, but I only saw it as an option on fleet cars here in the US.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

I told them that by it grinding so much excessive material of the metal shedding would end up clogging up the passeges and cause more damage
I just heard back from them and they said I had the new fluid and it seemed to have air in the lines but the they bled the lines and it is doing good now.
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post

I just heard back from them and they said I had the new fluid and it seemed to have air in the lines but the they bled the lines and it is doing good now.
In the lines? What do they mean by that like in tbe clutch or in the transmission passages or synchros? Did you get it back how does it feel now
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

In the lines? What do they mean by that like in tbe clutch or in the transmission passages or synchros? Did you get it back how does it feel now
To be honest I didn't ask anything else I was in a hurry . But it it's still a bit notchy finding first and reverse but the the other gears are smooth as ever .
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post

To be honest I didn't ask anything else I was in a hurry . But it it's still a bit notchy finding first and reverse but the the other gears are smooth as ever .
Just keep an eye on it a fluid might help but in the long run could cause more damage that you might end up having to pay...
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
He's talking clutch lines... I thought these were self-bleeding master/slave cylinders?
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Here is the problem with out tranny... On the window sticker it says country of origin: China... Yes our tranny is made in China a country with some of the worst quality control in the world!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
China can make some very good things. It depends on way more than country of origin. So far it seems subpar bearings and synchros are the biggest blame.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
China can make some very good things. It depends on way more than country of origin. So far it seems subpar bearings and synchros are the biggest blame.
As a whole China can not compete with the likes of America, Germany, Italy etc. if you had a choice to have your tranny built here in America or in China which would you choose? I would even spend a few extra hundred to have it built here. At least the chances of problems would be a lot less!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
sprdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Region: Canada
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
China can make some very good things. It depends on way more than country of origin. So far it seems subpar bearings and synchros are the biggest blame.
True,just wonder where the synchros and bearings are made.Even though my M82 has been pretty trouble free on my 2013,I still am really carefully when i'm shifting.
Maybe thinking i should have gotten the 6 speed auto transmission instead.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
I changed the bracket to the Barton one and it made a huge difference. I have had a few shift pops and grinds even after the bracket change but I cant get it to repeat. I also had not driven a manual regularly in 4 years and this tranny and clutch are wonky compared to others. I dont like thr clutch and rev hanging at all. I have only hi rev shifted a handful of times because I dont have confidence in the clutch or the tranny to he honest. I have had a few minor issues with it but I also dont drive it in the cold much either. I think Sanguin nailed it. Precise easy shifts are best. When concentrating on perfect clutch engagement mine shifts great. Get a little sloppy and it locks out, grinds etc. Internal parts are crap
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Also, I do love the extra gear. I also want to buy or make something to make the pedal a little forward. I wish it were out a little more. I think it would help me engage it better. Next mod on my list. I want to also add I had the sve shifter in too and it made grinding in reverse happen. Loved the shorter throw and placement of the shift knob which was placed up and back but coud not deal with rev grind. I took it out a few times, changed reverse lockout spring and spoke with the design guy that made it and he said the shifter was rushed to production.. I still have the shifter as they told me to keep it and gave me my money back. Maybe in the future I will try to figure it out and get it to work.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ntbruncie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PHOENIX
Region: Arizona
Posts: 997
I put the Barton shifte in my car and I love it. It will make your car a whole new animal. Trust me get the shifter it's well worth the money.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
ak_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Alaska
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave
True,just wonder where the synchros and bearings are made.Even though my M82 has been pretty trouble free on my 2013,I still am really carefully when i'm shifting.
Maybe thinking i should have gotten the 6 speed auto transmission instead.
The design for our transmission is from getrag which is a German company that makes the trasmissions for cars like bmw, so the design should be rock solid. I remember reading some where some of the parts are actually made in Germany and china probably isn't sending back the parts that don't meet spec and using them in the transmissions.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post

The design for our transmission is from getrag which is a German company that makes the trasmissions for cars like bmw, so the design should be rock solid. I remember reading some where some of the parts are actually made in Germany and china probably isn't sending back the parts that don't meet spec and using them in the transmissions.
Yeha I read that too the problem is with the synchros I believe that's how it feels. Also I dont think the clutch has anything to do with the problem... its perfectly fine but if the transmission doesn't synchronize the shifts it will grind no matter how good the clutch is. As I shift or try to shift for that matter you can feel the synchronizers messing up...
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.