Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Painting Calipers

4K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  StangSleeperGT 
#1 ·
Im thinking about spraying some caliper paint on my stang next time I have a long weekend. Im assuming it is going to be tedious and long, but is there anything need to look out for while doing this. I dont paint a whole lot.

#2 ·
Painting them isnt the hard part its prepping thats a pain. I used a wire brush and a ac compresser to blow away the leftover brake dust I diddnt whipe off.
I taped off the rotor, the brake hoses basically everything that you dont want paint to touch.

Attachments

#14 ·
x2

There are kits that come with brake cleaner, the paint, and an application brush. So far, I've done 4 vehicles with the paint provided, and still have a little left!

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

I was looking at getting caliper covers..would it be better & cheaper to just paint them instead?
Yes! The covers are cheezy imitations of Brembo brakes. Do the paint instead.

#17 ·
what ever color you want Lightning....
Painting is much better and far more custom. the covers noly come in certain colors anyhoo.......
you can really add a custom look to your car...just like my 2 ;)

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

noly..?ONLY..err. wow...im not awake yet..and still havent had my coffee.....LOL

#19 ·
To get the caliper super clean

Get a couple cans of a product called "BRAKE CLEAN" It will get off any brake dust as well as any oily substance that wiping off won't do.

It is sold under different names such as Brake parts cleaner or Brake Kleen. It is all the same and you can get it at Walmart.

Ronnie

#25 ·
Get a couple cans of a product called "BRAKE CLEAN" It will get off any brake dust as well as any oily substance that wiping off won't do.

It is sold under different names such as Brake parts cleaner or Brake Kleen. It is all the same and you can get it at Walmart.

Ronnie
Get the ones without chlorine though. They leave a white residue when it dries and can be damaging to plastics/rubbers (like the brake hose).

#31 · (Edited)
Hi Whitelightning

The covers look great and cover the ugly caliper. They also prevent 90% of the brake dust from getting my wheels dirty. Another feature is that the brakes will be cooler if you do any auto X-ing or hot lapping. I don't do either anymore so it don't affect me.

Ronnie

#32 ·
The covers look great and cover the ugly caliper. They also prevent 90% of the brake dust from getting my wheels dirty. Another feature is that the brakes will be cooler if you do any auto X-ing or hot lapping. I don't do either anymore so it don't affect me.

Ronnie
If u could do it again would go buy the covers or just go with painting them??

#37 ·
Dozer..was that plastikote engine enamel..? Car quest just got some. Mine are duplicolor grabber green..but since going to have to redo rears as took a lot of abuse to va and back..that looks way more lime....

#38 ·
OH2Freshstang ----I would buy the covers again.

I think the Ford Calipers are the only extremely UGLY thing on the whole car. They are still UGLY even with a coat of paint on them. I would not think twice about getting the covers. I would get black and not red the next time. I like the red but I think black one's would look as good or better with my wheels.

Ronnie

#41 ·
I think the Ford Calipers are the only extremely UGLY thing on the whole car. They are still UGLY even with a coat of paint on them. I would not think twice about getting the covers. I would get black and not red the next time. I like the red but I think black one's would look as good or better with my wheels.

Ronnie
Yea I feel the same way..I think the covers look better than painted calipers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.