Mustang Evolution Forum banner

need some help from a Steeda CAI owner

Tags
cai
2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  rebeltx 
#1 ·
I am looking for some specific information about the steeda CAI. First off, i am trying to determine the inside diameter of the piping. Secondly, I am curious about how it attaches to the throttle body. From pictures I have seen it looks like the tube just slides over the TB. Is this true or it the inside of the tube flared out to fit around the TB?

Also, as a small addition. If you have owned a "no tune" CAI in the past and then went to the Steeda, did you feel a difference?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I've got the Steeda CAI on my 2011 GT. It made a tremendous difference, I run it with a 93 Octane tune. I know you wouldn't want to run it without a tune, they warn it can cause problems with your engine.

The fit is like stock, it fits right over the end of my throttlebody just as the OEM intake tube does. It attaches with an aircraft style metal clamp that screws on.

#8 · (Edited)
Has anyone found the tune required CAI gives better performance? Seems like it would be hard to distinguish the tune gains from the larger CAI gains since you can't run the CAI on the stock tune. The Steeda's look awesome though. I like the radiused inlet at the filter. Looks like it would help smooth the air flow over the MAF sensor. I believe the larger diameter throwing of the airflow readings is why the tune is required, not because it's making more power.

I wonder since everyone says the bigger CAI like steeda needs a tune, why isn't the throttle body upgraded as well like many say will be beneficial. Lol just trying to get that out lol
+1. On the 5.0 they are finding stock intake with tune and CAI with tune are not showing significant differences in 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. Haven't seen anyone do the same testing on the 3.7 though. (...and I've got a CAI. Sounds nice and looks nice.)

#4 ·
I own a steeda CAI for a 2012 v6
from what i remember, it was kind of difficult to get the tubing around the throttle body. I don't think it was flared.
thankfully, it comes with a metal strap to keep it form coming loose( which i honestly doubt would ever happen)
i've never owned a no-tune CAI, as this is my first CAI.
but it gives a really nice sound (assuming you can hear it, mine sound is mostly drowned out by my exhaust)

#10 ·
The engine can only consume so much air by itself. No matter how big of an intake or throttle body you stick on it, the plenum never changes, neither does the displacement.

I can see throttle response and such changing with a throttle body, but not the hp by much. It's like switching from a 3" funnel to a 4" funnel. If they have the same size exit, it's not really doing a lot.

Now, in boosted applications, larger throttle bodies can get some use!

#11 ·
I have a tune and Free tunes for life so I'm not worried about having to get a tune. I really want to do some comparison before I buy or build another CAI. That's part of the reason I'm looking for specific details.

So. Can anyone tell me the inside diameter of the intake tube?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.