Mustang Evolution Forum banner

In Honor of my '11 V6

4K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  Gtzzoom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Hey guys, I noticed the V6 community is pretty lively here so I figured I would contribute what I can. I bought my 2011 Base 6MT Grabber Blue V6 brand new back in december 2010 and it was love at first drive. I thought it was very well equipped for a base model and knew the 3.7 in it had great potential.

The first modification was a MMR CAI, at the time there werent many options available, so I took a chance with it. I was immediately suprised at how it made the stock exhaust louder and gave a nice whistle when first getting on the gas. The throttle response was better and overall just felt alittle quicker.

Next on the List was the exhaust.. my buddy in highschool had a 2002 Mustang GT and got Borla Stingers for it and it sounded great. I scoured Youtube for sound clips.. but there were NONE. So.. I took a gamble, and ordered the Borla S-Type Axelback directly from Borla.

After installing it.. I was BLOWN away. The sound was intoxicating.. and my MPG counter progressively got worse every day LOL. I drove around with just the CAI and Borla for a couple months.. and was very satisfied. I did want alittle more power though.. and the stock 2.73 gears were mind boggling. So I started researching gears and Tuners.

I ended up deciding on 3.73s and a SCT tuner from American muscle. I ordered the Tuner and scheduled the Gear Installion a day after my Tuner was to arrive. The Tuner arrived and I picked my car up from the shop. I loaded up the 91 Race Tune and drove home. I was babying the car at this point because I know your supposed to break in new equipment and what not.. but DAMN... This car felt like a total BEAST now.

My MPG decreased even MORE now.. LOL. The car was soo much fun to drive.. I would look for any excuse to go out and rip through some gears.

It wasnt long after.. I figured out the stock 17" bicycle tires were pretty inadequate. I did some research... and decided on the Black GT500s 18x9 on all four corners with Nitto NT555. These things were PERFECT.. I could now launch effectively and first gear was actually useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91xeM2K2SQ

A coworker of mine recently picked up a 2011 Nismo 370Z.. This thing was SWEET.. I loved the interior and just overall look of the car. He paid nearly DOUBLE that of my Stang though. We talked smack for fun at work saying we would smoke each other. Finally one weekend we agreed to go to the Drag Strip. This 370Z was his first manual car and he claimed it was stock besides a "chip" which I was skeptical about it having. I had perfected my launch by this point and knew I could give him a run for his money..

Boy was I wrong... I didnt give him a run for his money... I took ALL his money.. and then some. He was complaining about the traction control saying even though he disabled it, it would still bog him down on the launch. Plus he was on stock tires which didnt look that sticky.

Heres the result.

370Z Nismo VS V6 Mustang - Drag Race - YouTube
V6 Mustang VS 370Z Nismo - Drag Race - YouTube

A couple months after that.. I craved alittle more power.. and alittle more sound. I ordered a Lethal Performance Off Road H-Pipe. HOLY CRAP.. this sucker was LOUD now. I would have loved it.. but it had a good bit of rasp between 2500-4000 RPMS. I adjusted my daily driving to shift at 2400 rpm and it sounded great.

2011 Mustang V6 Borla S-Type + OR H-Pipe - YouTube

A few months ago.. I decided I wanted to upgrade the driveshaft, clutch+flywheel, suspension, and then install a supercharger.

I came really close to pulling the trigger... but after some long hard thought.. decided against it.. and ended up trading her in on a 2013 Mustang GT Track+Tech Pack.

I still miss my lovely 3.7 from time to time.. I ran her pretty hard but babied her when I wasnt. I hope you guys enjoyed the little timeline.. sorry if it was kind of long!!

Ohh.. heres the '13 :headbang:

See less See more
#10 ·
Well.. when I got my '11 V6 I had that mentality that I was gonna keep the car FOREVER.. LOL. So I threw away most of the stock parts. And sold the Stock rims/tires on Craigslist.

This was a really interesting read!!

Thank you for sharing!!

I hope you enjoy the big 5.0!:]

What mods you gonna go first?
Thanks! Already have a Borla S-Type Axelback on it and Barton 2 Post Bracket. I have the Barton shifter, JBA Off Road H-Pipe, and C&L's revised '13 GT CAI sitting in boxes that I will install on wensday.

Thank you!

Ived seen your channel on youtube nice videos man I think even converse with you on lca? Anyways nice and hope the 5.0 is treating you well
Whats lca? Thanks and yes its treating me well!

That was an awesome story!
thanks for sharing it :D
You're Welcome, Thank you for reading!

Hey, Welcome! I followed your channel on YouTube a bit. Nice upgrade and glad to see you sticking with a grabber. Although, I'm not a big fan of the 13-14 appearance. Couldn't wait a year to see the redesign though? I know that's what I'm waiting for.

Also, didn't want to transfer any of those mods such as the wheels to the GT?
Thanks, I wanted to wait for the 2015s.. but patience has never been a strong suit for me :lmao:. Also, sold my stock V6 rims on craigslist so I couldnt transfer them over.. plus Im not sure if they would clear the Brembo Brakes.

Great read.
Thanks!

Same lol, if I like the redesign I might pay off my v6 for it to be my workcar and get myself gt or maybe a cobra
I'll probably get a beater sometime this year.. like a 98 Civic. I drive my wifes '13 Honda CRV some days of the week when I can.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys, I noticed the V6 community is pretty lively here so I figured I would contribute what I can. I bought my 2011 Base 6MT Grabber Blue V6 brand new back in december 2010 and it was love at first drive. I thought it was very well equipped for a base model and knew the 3.7 in it had great potential.

The first modification was a MMR CAI, at the time there werent many options available, so I took a chance with it. I was immediately suprised at how it made the stock exhaust louder and gave a nice whistle when first getting on the gas. The throttle response was better and overall just felt alittle quicker.

Next on the List was the exhaust.. my buddy in highschool had a 2002 Mustang GT and got Borla Stingers for it and it sounded great. I scoured Youtube for sound clips.. but there were NONE. So.. I took a gamble, and ordered the Borla S-Type Axelback directly from Borla.

After installing it.. I was BLOWN away. The sound was intoxicating.. and my MPG counter progressively got worse every day LOL. I drove around with just the CAI and Borla for a couple months.. and was very satisfied. I did want alittle more power though.. and the stock 2.73 gears were mind boggling. So I started researching gears and Tuners.

I ended up deciding on 3.73s and a SCT tuner from American muscle. I ordered the Tuner and scheduled the Gear Installion a day after my Tuner was to arrive. The Tuner arrived and I picked my car up from the shop. I loaded up the 91 Race Tune and drove home. I was babying the car at this point because I know your supposed to break in new equipment and what not.. but DAMN... This car felt like a total BEAST now.

My MPG decreased even MORE now.. LOL. The car was soo much fun to drive.. I would look for any excuse to go out and rip through some gears.

It wasnt long after.. I figured out the stock 17" bicycle tires were pretty inadequate. I did some research... and decided on the Black GT500s 18x9 on all four corners with Nitto NT555. These things were PERFECT.. I could now launch effectively and first gear was actually useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91xeM2K2SQ

A coworker of mine recently picked up a 2011 Nismo 370Z.. This thing was SWEET.. I loved the interior and just overall look of the car. He paid nearly DOUBLE that of my Stang though. We talked smack for fun at work saying we would smoke each other. Finally one weekend we agreed to go to the Drag Strip. This 370Z was his first manual car and he claimed it was stock besides a "chip" which I was skeptical about it having. I had perfected my launch by this point and knew I could give him a run for his money..

Boy was I wrong... I didnt give him a run for his money... I took ALL his money.. and then some. He was complaining about the traction control saying even though he disabled it, it would still bog him down on the launch. Plus he was on stock tires which didnt look that sticky.

Heres the result.

370Z Nismo VS V6 Mustang - Drag Race - YouTube
V6 Mustang VS 370Z Nismo - Drag Race - YouTube

A couple months after that.. I craved alittle more power.. and alittle more sound. I ordered a Lethal Performance Off Road H-Pipe. HOLY CRAP.. this sucker was LOUD now. I would have loved it.. but it had a good bit of rasp between 2500-4000 RPMS. I adjusted my daily driving to shift at 2400 rpm and it sounded great.

2011 Mustang V6 Borla S-Type + OR H-Pipe - YouTube

A few months ago.. I decided I wanted to upgrade the driveshaft, clutch+flywheel, suspension, and then install a supercharger.

I came really close to pulling the trigger... but after some long hard thought.. decided against it.. and ended up trading her in on a 2013 Mustang GT Track+Tech Pack.

I still miss my lovely 3.7 from time to time.. I ran her pretty hard but babied her when I wasnt. I hope you guys enjoyed the little timeline.. sorry if it was kind of long!!

Ohh.. heres the '13 :headbang:
Ived seen your channel on youtube nice videos man I think even converse with you on lca? Anyways nice and hope the 5.0 is treating you well

#7 ·
Hey, Welcome! I followed your channel on YouTube a bit. Nice upgrade and glad to see you sticking with a grabber. Although, I'm not a big fan of the 13-14 appearance. Couldn't wait a year to see the redesign though? I know that's what I'm waiting for.

Also, didn't want to transfer any of those mods such as the wheels to the GT?

#9 ·
Same lol, if I like the redesign I might pay off my v6 for it to be my workcar and get myself gt or maybe a cobra

#19 ·
Yeah, it wasnt his night!

Lower control arms I also asked about how much your gears were lol I enjoy the videos you put up of car they are sweet
Ooh, thought you were asking about something else. Yeah I never got LCAs on my V6 but plan to get them on my 5.0

Nice story! What's better? A modded v6 or stock v8?
Well I can tell you that even in stock form my 5.0 is faster than my modded 3.7.. but probably not by as much as most think.

Nice story and videos . I raced a nismo 350z at the strip and got beat .....
I know it wasn't stock and not sure if they come stock with a turbo but I got killed . I had stock every thing at the time . But after watching your video makes me want to get better tires and try again lol.
Yeah they dont come with Turbos so the one you raced was pretty heavily modded.

Hahaha your video of you vs the 370z was a huge part in me putting my order in for my stang last year. Thanks for the story and enjoy the new gt!
Glad I could help! Your stang looks great!

Love your mustang.
Thank you!

I've seen your vids on youtube before. Love them.
Cheers!

#15 ·
Nice story and videos . I raced a nismo 350z at the strip and got beat .....
I know it wasn't stock and not sure if they come stock with a turbo but I got killed . I had stock every thing at the time . But after watching your video makes me want to get better tires and try again lol.

#27 ·
Haha nah. Just a car guy/girl like most on people on this site!

Cool story bro. Lol, seriously. :D
Thanks Bro :headbang:

Have to admit your 3.7 looks way cooler then that 13, besides the 5.0 on the side. Those are my favorite wheels.
Well I put alittle bit of effort into the looks of my V6.. wanted to drop it a inch or so but that never happened. My 5.0 will look better soon enough =)

Wow dude. Sweet V6 man. I'd have gone with the GT but wasn't a good decision financially. But seriously, you destroyed that 370z. Congrats.
Thanks Puma, The V6 is a great car and even though you had to settle with less, its still an awesome machine.

Congratulations on the 13' GT, They're amazing machines. After seeing your V6 build, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the GT! I see you really like Grabber blue lol, Good luck with everything.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Thanks Dan, will do!

Both are very nice cars!
Thank you!

very nice Bokeo...inspiring me to race a local 370 that thinks he's bad ass....only upgrades to his are CAI and exhaust.....
Like your new GT...that's sweet!
Thanks Zoom, Im glad I can inspire. Make no mistake though, even a regular 370Z is a quick machine and you will need to be on your A game if you do run him. My buddies Nismo 370Z "Should" have beat me.. but alot of conditions when racing can change the outcome of what should and should not happen.

#24 ·
Congratulations on the 13' GT, They're amazing machines. After seeing your V6 build, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the GT! I see you really like Grabber blue lol, Good luck with everything.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan

#26 ·
very nice Bokeo...inspiring me to race a local 370 that thinks he's bad ass....only upgrades to his are CAI and exhaust.....
Like your new GT...that's sweet!

#29 ·
For sure..accept it. Posted your vids to my facebook! I get you on a better driver might get me on the drag..but I've already beat 93-04 GTs that thought they had something..and made em all cry when showed em after the race of course, all I have is a 6 cyl...lol!

#34 ·
Buddy of mine had an rx7 with 2 16"s in it...couldn't get out of its own way.....but it sure could bass it out

#35 ·
Great story.... I have a 2013 v6 premium and love it, however waiting for the 2015.. this is my 8th mustang and this V6 runs pretty strong. I remember I bought a new 1997 mustang cobra and that was top dog back in the day, never thinking that one day I would be happy with a V6 stang. With good power for the street and great MPG its hard to beat, BUT its no 5.0 LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.