In Honor of my '11 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
In Honor of my '11 V6

Hey guys, I noticed the V6 community is pretty lively here so I figured I would contribute what I can. I bought my 2011 Base 6MT Grabber Blue V6 brand new back in december 2010 and it was love at first drive. I thought it was very well equipped for a base model and knew the 3.7 in it had great potential.

The first modification was a MMR CAI, at the time there werent many options available, so I took a chance with it. I was immediately suprised at how it made the stock exhaust louder and gave a nice whistle when first getting on the gas. The throttle response was better and overall just felt alittle quicker.

Next on the List was the exhaust.. my buddy in highschool had a 2002 Mustang GT and got Borla Stingers for it and it sounded great. I scoured Youtube for sound clips.. but there were NONE. So.. I took a gamble, and ordered the Borla S-Type Axelback directly from Borla.

After installing it.. I was BLOWN away. The sound was intoxicating.. and my MPG counter progressively got worse every day LOL. I drove around with just the CAI and Borla for a couple months.. and was very satisfied. I did want alittle more power though.. and the stock 2.73 gears were mind boggling. So I started researching gears and Tuners.

I ended up deciding on 3.73s and a SCT tuner from American muscle. I ordered the Tuner and scheduled the Gear Installion a day after my Tuner was to arrive. The Tuner arrived and I picked my car up from the shop. I loaded up the 91 Race Tune and drove home. I was babying the car at this point because I know your supposed to break in new equipment and what not.. but DAMN... This car felt like a total BEAST now.

My MPG decreased even MORE now.. LOL. The car was soo much fun to drive.. I would look for any excuse to go out and rip through some gears.

It wasnt long after.. I figured out the stock 17" bicycle tires were pretty inadequate. I did some research... and decided on the Black GT500s 18x9 on all four corners with Nitto NT555. These things were PERFECT.. I could now launch effectively and first gear was actually useful.

A coworker of mine recently picked up a 2011 Nismo 370Z.. This thing was SWEET.. I loved the interior and just overall look of the car. He paid nearly DOUBLE that of my Stang though. We talked smack for fun at work saying we would smoke each other. Finally one weekend we agreed to go to the Drag Strip. This 370Z was his first manual car and he claimed it was stock besides a "chip" which I was skeptical about it having. I had perfected my launch by this point and knew I could give him a run for his money..

Boy was I wrong... I didnt give him a run for his money... I took ALL his money.. and then some. He was complaining about the traction control saying even though he disabled it, it would still bog him down on the launch. Plus he was on stock tires which didnt look that sticky.

Heres the result.

A couple months after that.. I craved alittle more power.. and alittle more sound. I ordered a Lethal Performance Off Road H-Pipe. HOLY CRAP.. this sucker was LOUD now. I would have loved it.. but it had a good bit of rasp between 2500-4000 RPMS. I adjusted my daily driving to shift at 2400 rpm and it sounded great.

A few months ago.. I decided I wanted to upgrade the driveshaft, clutch+flywheel, suspension, and then install a supercharger.

I came really close to pulling the trigger... but after some long hard thought.. decided against it.. and ended up trading her in on a 2013 Mustang GT Track+Tech Pack.

I still miss my lovely 3.7 from time to time.. I ran her pretty hard but babied her when I wasnt. I hope you guys enjoyed the little timeline.. sorry if it was kind of long!!

Ohh.. heres the '13

Bokeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you take your mod's off before selling? I want dibs lol
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This was a really interesting read!!

Thank you for sharing!!

I hope you enjoy the big 5.0!:]

What mods you gonna go first?
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Nice
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokeo View Post

Hey guys, I noticed the V6 community is pretty lively here so I figured I would contribute what I can. I bought my 2011 Base 6MT Grabber Blue V6 brand new back in december 2010 and it was love at first drive. I thought it was very well equipped for a base model and knew the 3.7 in it had great potential.

The first modification was a MMR CAI, at the time there werent many options available, so I took a chance with it. I was immediately suprised at how it made the stock exhaust louder and gave a nice whistle when first getting on the gas. The throttle response was better and overall just felt alittle quicker.

Next on the List was the exhaust.. my buddy in highschool had a 2002 Mustang GT and got Borla Stingers for it and it sounded great. I scoured Youtube for sound clips.. but there were NONE. So.. I took a gamble, and ordered the Borla S-Type Axelback directly from Borla.

After installing it.. I was BLOWN away. The sound was intoxicating.. and my MPG counter progressively got worse every day LOL. I drove around with just the CAI and Borla for a couple months.. and was very satisfied. I did want alittle more power though.. and the stock 2.73 gears were mind boggling. So I started researching gears and Tuners.

I ended up deciding on 3.73s and a SCT tuner from American muscle. I ordered the Tuner and scheduled the Gear Installion a day after my Tuner was to arrive. The Tuner arrived and I picked my car up from the shop. I loaded up the 91 Race Tune and drove home. I was babying the car at this point because I know your supposed to break in new equipment and what not.. but DAMN... This car felt like a total BEAST now.

My MPG decreased even MORE now.. LOL. The car was soo much fun to drive.. I would look for any excuse to go out and rip through some gears.

It wasnt long after.. I figured out the stock 17" bicycle tires were pretty inadequate. I did some research... and decided on the Black GT500s 18x9 on all four corners with Nitto NT555. These things were PERFECT.. I could now launch effectively and first gear was actually useful.

A coworker of mine recently picked up a 2011 Nismo 370Z.. This thing was SWEET.. I loved the interior and just overall look of the car. He paid nearly DOUBLE that of my Stang though. We talked smack for fun at work saying we would smoke each other. Finally one weekend we agreed to go to the Drag Strip. This 370Z was his first manual car and he claimed it was stock besides a "chip" which I was skeptical about it having. I had perfected my launch by this point and knew I could give him a run for his money..

Boy was I wrong... I didnt give him a run for his money... I took ALL his money.. and then some. He was complaining about the traction control saying even though he disabled it, it would still bog him down on the launch. Plus he was on stock tires which didnt look that sticky.

Heres the result.

A couple months after that.. I craved alittle more power.. and alittle more sound. I ordered a Lethal Performance Off Road H-Pipe. HOLY CRAP.. this sucker was LOUD now. I would have loved it.. but it had a good bit of rasp between 2500-4000 RPMS. I adjusted my daily driving to shift at 2400 rpm and it sounded great.

A few months ago.. I decided I wanted to upgrade the driveshaft, clutch+flywheel, suspension, and then install a supercharger.

I came really close to pulling the trigger... but after some long hard thought.. decided against it.. and ended up trading her in on a 2013 Mustang GT Track+Tech Pack.

I still miss my lovely 3.7 from time to time.. I ran her pretty hard but babied her when I wasnt. I hope you guys enjoyed the little timeline.. sorry if it was kind of long!!

Ohh.. heres the '13
Ived seen your channel on youtube nice videos man I think even converse with you on lca? Anyways nice and hope the 5.0 is treating you well
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
That was an awesome story!
thanks for sharing it
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hey, Welcome! I followed your channel on YouTube a bit. Nice upgrade and glad to see you sticking with a grabber. Although, I'm not a big fan of the 13-14 appearance. Couldn't wait a year to see the redesign though? I know that's what I'm waiting for.

Also, didn't want to transfer any of those mods such as the wheels to the GT?
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Great read.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Hey, Welcome! I followed your channel on YouTube a bit. Nice upgrade and glad to see you sticking with a grabber. Although, I'm not a big fan of the 13-14 appearance. Couldn't wait a year to see the redesign though? I know that's what I'm waiting for.
Same lol, if I like the redesign I might pay off my v6 for it to be my workcar and get myself gt or maybe a cobra
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Did you take your mod's off before selling? I want dibs lol
Well.. when I got my '11 V6 I had that mentality that I was gonna keep the car FOREVER.. LOL. So I threw away most of the stock parts. And sold the Stock rims/tires on Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBman View Post
This was a really interesting read!!

Thank you for sharing!!

I hope you enjoy the big 5.0!:]

What mods you gonna go first?
Thanks! Already have a Borla S-Type Axelback on it and Barton 2 Post Bracket. I have the Barton shifter, JBA Off Road H-Pipe, and C&L's revised '13 GT CAI sitting in boxes that I will install on wensday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Nice
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Ived seen your channel on youtube nice videos man I think even converse with you on lca? Anyways nice and hope the 5.0 is treating you well
Whats lca? Thanks and yes its treating me well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
That was an awesome story!
thanks for sharing it
You're Welcome, Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post

Also, didn't want to transfer any of those mods such as the wheels to the GT?
Thanks, I wanted to wait for the 2015s.. but patience has never been a strong suit for me . Also, sold my stock V6 rims on craigslist so I couldnt transfer them over.. plus Im not sure if they would clear the Brembo Brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Great read.
Thanks!

Quote:
Same lol, if I like the redesign I might pay off my v6 for it to be my workcar and get myself gt or maybe a cobra
I'll probably get a beater sometime this year.. like a 98 Civic. I drive my wifes '13 Honda CRV some days of the week when I can.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The guy with the 370z has no excuse but that you are faster, you were still pulling away even after the launch
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lower control arms I also asked about how much your gears were lol I enjoy the videos you put up of car they are sweet
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Nice story! What's better? A modded v6 or stock v8?
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Excellent question!!

I am curious as well!!
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Nice story and videos . I raced a nismo 350z at the strip and got beat .....
I know it wasn't stock and not sure if they come stock with a turbo but I got killed . I had stock every thing at the time . But after watching your video makes me want to get better tires and try again lol.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha your video of you vs the 370z was a huge part in me putting my order in for my stang last year. Thanks for the story and enjoy the new gt!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Love your mustang.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've seen your vids on youtube before. Love them.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depack21 View Post
The guy with the 370z has no excuse but that you are faster, you were still pulling away even after the launch
Yeah, it wasnt his night!

Quote:
Lower control arms I also asked about how much your gears were lol I enjoy the videos you put up of car they are sweet
Ooh, thought you were asking about something else. Yeah I never got LCAs on my V6 but plan to get them on my 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Well I can tell you that even in stock form my 5.0 is faster than my modded 3.7.. but probably not by as much as most think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
Nice story and videos . I raced a nismo 350z at the strip and got beat .....
I know it wasn't stock and not sure if they come stock with a turbo but I got killed . I had stock every thing at the time . But after watching your video makes me want to get better tires and try again lol.
Yeah they dont come with Turbos so the one you raced was pretty heavily modded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
Hahaha your video of you vs the 370z was a huge part in me putting my order in for my stang last year. Thanks for the story and enjoy the new gt!
Glad I could help! Your stang looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
Love your mustang.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I've seen your vids on youtube before. Love them.
Cheers!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You sir,

Are now a celebrity
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Cool story bro. Lol, seriously.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have to admit your 3.7 looks way cooler then that 13, besides the 5.0 on the side. Those are my favorite wheels.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Wow dude. Sweet V6 man. I'd have gone with the GT but wasn't a good decision financially. But seriously, you destroyed that 370z. Congrats.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Congratulations on the 13' GT, They're amazing machines. After seeing your V6 build, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the GT! I see you really like Grabber blue lol, Good luck with everything.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Both are very nice cars!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
very nice Bokeo...inspiring me to race a local 370 that thinks he's bad ***....only upgrades to his are CAI and exhaust.....
Like your new GT...that's sweet!

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You sir,

Are now a celebrity
Haha nah. Just a car guy/girl like most on people on this site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Cool story bro. Lol, seriously.
Thanks Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Have to admit your 3.7 looks way cooler then that 13, besides the 5.0 on the side. Those are my favorite wheels.
Well I put alittle bit of effort into the looks of my V6.. wanted to drop it a inch or so but that never happened. My 5.0 will look better soon enough =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Wow dude. Sweet V6 man. I'd have gone with the GT but wasn't a good decision financially. But seriously, you destroyed that 370z. Congrats.
Thanks Puma, The V6 is a great car and even though you had to settle with less, its still an awesome machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Congratulations on the 13' GT, They're amazing machines. After seeing your V6 build, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the GT! I see you really like Grabber blue lol, Good luck with everything.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Thanks Dan, will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
Both are very nice cars!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
very nice Bokeo...inspiring me to race a local 370 that thinks he's bad ***....only upgrades to his are CAI and exhaust.....
Like your new GT...that's sweet!
Thanks Zoom, Im glad I can inspire. Make no mistake though, even a regular 370Z is a quick machine and you will need to be on your A game if you do run him. My buddies Nismo 370Z "Should" have beat me.. but alot of conditions when racing can change the outcome of what should and should not happen.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha nah. Just a car guy/girl like most on people on this site!

Thanks Bro

Well I put alittle bit of effort into the looks of my V6.. wanted to drop it a inch or so but that never happened. My 5.0 will look better soon enough =)

Thanks Puma, The V6 is a great car and even though you had to settle with less, its still an awesome machine.

Thanks Dan, will do!

Thank you!

Thanks Zoom, Im glad I can inspire. Make no mistake though, even a regular 370Z is a quick machine and you will need to be on your A game if you do run him. My buddies Nismo 370Z "Should" have beat me.. but alot of conditions when racing can change the outcome of what should and should not happen.
No, you ARE a celebrity
Don't question it
Accept it, just don't embrace it :p
I don't like cocky celebrities :p
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

For sure..accept it. Posted your vids to my facebook! I get you on a better driver might get me on the drag..but I've already beat 93-04 GTs that thought they had something..and made em all cry when showed em after the race of course, all I have is a 6 cyl...lol!

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, you ARE a celebrity
Don't question it
Accept it, just don't embrace it :p
I don't like cocky celebrities :p
Okay, I'll try to accept it!

Quote:
For sure..accept it. Posted your vids to my facebook! I get you on a better driver might get me on the drag..but I've already beat 93-04 GTs that thought they had something..and made em all cry when showed em after the race of course, all I have is a 6 cyl...lol!
Thats cool, yeah I beat up on a few of those myself. Had a 06 GT that I smoked say I was BSing when I told him it was just a V6. He asked me to pull over nearby and pop the hood. He was in disbelief, but his GT was bone stock and he had a 12" subwoofer in the back. So I told him to get rid of the subwoofer, and visit AmericanMuscle.com and get some basic bolt ons and he would definetly be alot faster.

Thanks for sharing my vids on your FB, I have some other vids on my channel that arent allowed on this forum that you might like as well
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay, I'll try to accept it!

Thats cool, yeah I beat up on a few of those myself. Had a 06 GT that I smoked say I was BSing when I told him it was just a V6. He asked me to pull over nearby and pop the hood. He was in disbelief, but his GT was bone stock and he had a 12" subwoofer in the back. So I told him to get rid of the subwoofer, and visit AmericanMuscle.com and get some basic bolt ons and he would definetly be alot faster.

Thanks for sharing my vids on your FB, I have some other vids on my channel that arent allowed on this forum that you might like as well
No subwoofer? Gasp why not :p
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

too heavy for one thing...

Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No subwoofer? Gasp why not :p
Quote:
too heavy for one thing...
Yes, I had a small 10" sub in my car for about a week before I took it out. Even though it only weighed mabye 25-35 pounds, I could feel a difference when driving the car.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Buddy of mine had an rx7 with 2 16"s in it...couldn't get out of its own way.....but it sure could bass it out

Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Great story.... I have a 2013 v6 premium and love it, however waiting for the 2015.. this is my 8th mustang and this V6 runs pretty strong. I remember I bought a new 1997 mustang cobra and that was top dog back in the day, never thinking that one day I would be happy with a V6 stang. With good power for the street and great MPG its hard to beat, BUT its no 5.0 LOL
Thax1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang