2013 turbo - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

I have to disagree with this. Turbo is much more efficient at the same power level. A turbo uses wasted energy to create more power whereas a supercharger takes power directly from the motor.
A good turbo system will cost you more money but you have greater flexibility in power levels.

What is this dual piston sc you speak of?
+10
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #37
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I think it's a good idea, your going to need one later anyways and once you start adding HP mods your going to be hooked. Then the day will come when you reslize Taft you NEED a new drive shaft and you will kick yourself because you really wanted to spend that $ on some other mod.... Drive shaft first will make you happy down the road, think long term not short
Why spend 500 plus bucks on a drive shaft as a first mod? Awfully expensive to gain how much HP?

Wait on the driveshaft until your warranty is over; at least the first 36K bumper to bumper. Then a tuner, exhaust, a CAI that works well with the tuner, then if you must drive over the 130 MPH current speed limiter that Ford has set, do the driveshaft and lift the speed limiter.

I'll assume you plan to run the car at a track; lifting the speed limiter and using a single piece driveshaft to allow for the excessive speeds over 130 make no sense for the public roads.

You might consider a GT as your next Mustang if you must go that fast. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Before the hate posts come, I enjoy my V6 for what it is; fun to drive, quick response, and fantastic fuel economy making it a great total package for it's price.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone thought of using the twin turbos from the ecoboost?? I've been tempted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

what you recommend??
All I'm saying is don't dive right in. There are a lot of great people on here that will give you some excellent advise,take your time .There is nothing wrong with upgrading the ds, that being said, imo, if you plan on doing gears shortly after you will need a tuner. As its been covered countless times, our stock ds are fine even if you remove the governor as long as you keep it under 125mph. But yes when or if you turbo or sc eventually you will need a ds.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Ok, I have an automatic V6 2012, can I put a supercharger or turbo, or is that only for standard vehicles. Please excuse my ignorance I don't know anything about cars. I am 35 yrs old and this is my first Mustang or sports car for that matter.
You can still put one on your car, it is just that the Procharger kit is for manual. So you need to get the "tuner" kit and may have to do a little extra fabrication and a dyno tune to get it running. So have a tuner lined up and ready to deliver your car to.

As far as a turbo, the only kit out right now is the Hellion. That is the one where the turbo is mounted in the driver side fender well, and it requires a scavenger pump for the oil because the turbo is mounted low.

So either go with that, or fabricate your own turbo set up if you have the skills (or friends with skills and necessary tools - that is where I am heading). Of course, doing your own you will have to again arrange for a tuner to get it running correctly.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Just YouTube 'what is forced induction'. More psi means more wear on your engine. I agree superchargers rob power because they run off of the vehicles pulley, but I would personally rather have less psi and know my engine will last longer.

A dual screw supercharger is just one of two style superchargers. It's not a brand, it's a design. Just YouTube it an there is a cool 8 minute or so video on benefits and downfalls of all forced induction options.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------
+1. Why would you care if it robbed power to make power? It's still going to make the 5-600 hp. And when you go wide open, you're not going to care. I hate turbo systems. Seen too many blown up
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

+1. Why would you care if it robbed power to make power? It's still going to make the 5-600 hp. And when you go wide open, you're not going to care. I hate turbo systems. Seen too many blown up
I've seen more nitrous and sc cars blowup than turbo. It's all about quality and attention to detail. Doesn't matter what the power adder is if you aren't smart with it
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

I have to disagree with this. Turbo is much more efficient at the same power level. A turbo uses wasted energy to create more power whereas a supercharger takes power directly from the motor.
A good turbo system will cost you more money but you have greater flexibility in power levels.

What is this dual piston sc you speak of?
+ 100000000000 idk why ppl hate on turbos
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
Has anyone thought of using the twin turbos from the ecoboost?? I've been tempted
I think someone mentioned this elsewhere and they said those turbos are pretty much maxed out, they're really small. This would mean your mustang might hit 400hp or just under, but you have no more head room for expansion later. If you could find some taken off for really cheap, I'm sure it'd be viable. However, if you're dumping money on turbos, might as well get what you want to begin with.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've seen more nitrous and sc cars blowup than turbo. It's all about quality and attention to detail. Doesn't matter what the power adder is if you aren't smart with it
+1000000.. Am all for both but more for turbos..I've seen both ends gone wrong but like u said its all about maintenance

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

I think someone mentioned this elsewhere and they said those turbos are pretty much maxed out, they're really small. This would mean your mustang might hit 400hp or just under, but you have no more head room for expansion later. If you could find some taken off for really cheap, I'm sure it'd be viable. However, if you're dumping money on turbos, might as well get what you want to begin with.
I figured... I agree i might as well spend on better potential and higher quality . Thanks for thwarting info. I might go single but if i can get twins for the same price am sold
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Why would one care? Unless the ONLY use for the car is racing, then anytime you are not racing, it wound be beneficial to NOT be draining power.

So say when one takes it to work. Drives down the street. Goes to get groceries.
Power when one wants, never the drag off engine.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Why would one care? Unless the ONLY use for the car is racing, then anytime you are not racing, it wound be beneficial to NOT be draining power.

So say when one takes it to work. Drives down the street. Goes to get groceries.
Well even at mild throttle the sc will produce power but it still does rob power until it hits boost
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. The engine is always moving the supercharger and having to turn the rotors in it. Boost it makes is based off engine load. If you accelerate slow you never make boost. Floor it, even at low rpms, you'll get boost. It's why they're linear and have more torque.

For the fun of it... the Eaton M90 blower on my Grand Prix:

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

Well even at mild throttle the sc will produce power but it still does rob power until it hits boost
I don't know too much about them, but when I was taught, they are always dragging on the engine. Also, the ones I know of, allegedly, went by RPM when the boost kicked on. So if it didn't kick on until 3,000 rpm, any driving under that RPM will be rather inefficient.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. The engine is always moving the supercharger and having to turn the rotors in it. Boost it makes is based off engine load. If you accelerate slow you never make boost. Floor it, even at low rpms, you'll get boost. It's why they're linear and have more torque.

For the fun of it... the Eaton M90 blower on my Grand Prix:
Man that's sexy...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I thought about it, the turbos and manifold from the f150 actaully aren't that expensive through ford, I just don't know if the manifolds will bolt up and if there would be clearance issues, and if you want bigger turbos they should bolt right up. I think they should work since our 3.7 is basically a bored out 3.5 but I don't want to be the Guinea pig.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know too much about them, but when I was taught, they are always dragging on the engine. Also, the ones I know of, allegedly, went by RPM when the boost kicked on. So if it didn't kick on until 3,000 rpm, any driving under that RPM will be rather inefficient.
They are but not at the same time.. When your on idle or low throttle your dragging same as lagg from a turbo except straining the engine a bit. Its all based on throttle not rpm
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Want to know if they bolt up? Get an exhaust gasket for both vehicles. and overlay them.

Clearance is a whole different animal though.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is mainly true. Just never seen a sc car blow up. At least a factory one like a rs3 or Shelby. Most turbos were just rigged to run an most were like 8-15 boost on a 2.4 l engine lol
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post

I thought about it, the turbos and manifold from the f150 actaully aren't that expensive through ford, I just don't know if the manifolds will bolt up and if there would be clearance issues, I think they should work since our 3.7 is basically a bored out 3.5 but I don't want to be the Guinea pig.
Ill be the test pig lol but ill do research first on what's the max power i will get and if its worth the cost/power

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Want to know if they bolt up? Get an exhaust gasket for both vehicles. and overlay them.

Clearance is a whole different animal though.
Clearance won't be an issue we got plenty of room..
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're talking turbo? As in its on when you want and the supercharger is giving that constant power no matter what
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're talking turbo? As in its on when you want and the supercharger is giving that constant power no matter what
I am under the impression supercharger is always onndrag, but only sometimes gives piwer.
Turbo is not instant, and is more detail oriented, but does not drain power when not in use.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

I am under the impression supercharger is always onndrag, but only sometimes gives piwer.
Turbo is not instant, and is more detail oriented, but does not drain power when not in use.
Nah...all in the setup.
I've driven zero lag turbo cars and also sc cars that build boost at any level.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:

Nah...all in the setup.
I've driven zero lag turbo cars and also sc cars that build boost at any level.
No bro.. Sc always gives power from start to finish but there is always the bit of drag on motors.. And as low said its all on the build.. My evo was built anti lagg but its requires more maintenance.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No bro.. Sc always gives power from start to finish but there is always the bit of drag on motors.. And as low said its all on the build.. My evo was built anti lagg but its requires more maintenance.
So superchargers are always on? As in, always giving boost? I was underthe impression they required power, and that isnwhythey kicked in.

Say, just random numbers, it takes 25 hp to make 100 with he sc. It won't turn on at 1000 rpms when I make 35 hp, it waits until 3000 rpms when I make 75 hp.

Does that make sense what I am explaining? Not saying it is right, but that is how it was explained.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So superchargers are always on? As in, always giving boost? I was underthe impression they required power, and that isnwhythey kicked in.

Say, just random numbers, it takes 25 hp to make 100 with he sc. It won't turn on at 1000 rpms when I make 35 hp, it waits until 3000 rpms when I make 75 hp.

Does that make sense what I am explaining? Not saying it is right, but that is how it was explained.
That sounds like a turbo... U might be confused on which works at what time..
Its easy .. Sc works the second you press the gas. Yes it will cost 25hp but will produce 100 so you won't even feel the drag only your motor will strain a bit. And a turbo can be adjusted with a boost controller to boost at a certain rpm and to only boost a specific psi . Example: it won't boost till say 1000rpm and depending on how much boost i want it will discharge any extra.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #62
Road Trip!

Region: New York
A little off topic as in the cars but, answer this? Seeing quite a few people on here saying turbo's produce more power and they are more efficient. Then why do the top fuel, nitro burning cars and a large majority of big time drag racers prefer superchargers over turbo's?

A self contained turbo style supercharger runs off the belt system and at 8psi on the stock 3.7L it produces about an extra 190HP... I wonder what a turbo produces at the same psi on the stock motor? I would also like to see the dyno comparison between the two and see what the HP and TQ are and see if the turbo lag causes any major differences. Oh yeah the self contained turbo style superchargers the boost can be adjusted.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #63
Road Trip!

In three years I'm going with the procharger system over a turbo... Biggest reason it is proven on the motor and produces big power at low boost!!'
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
A little off topic as in the cars but, answer this? Seeing quite a few people on here saying turbo's produce more power and they are more efficient. Then why do the top fuel, nitro burning cars and a large majority of big time drag racers prefer superchargers over turbo's?

A self contained turbo style supercharger runs off the belt system and at 8psi on the stock 3.7L it produces about an extra 190HP... I wonder what a turbo produces at the same psi on the stock motor? I would also like to see the dyno comparison between the two and see what the HP and TQ are and see if the turbo lag causes any major differences.
Turbos are harder to tune and set up correctly. Much easier to set up and install require less..
Turbos are much more involved in setting up, installing and tuning.
Those nitro cars are rebuilt between passes and that's much easier to do with a supercharger then a turbo set up.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Turbos are harder to tune and set up correctly. Much easier to set up and install require less..
Turbos are much more involved in setting up, installing and tuning.
Those nitro cars are rebuilt between passes and that's much easier to do with a supercharger then a turbo set up.
U couldn't say it better.. Its easier to swap belts,pulleys,tunes and mounts in a snap then it would with a turbo.. As far as power goes rated on psi and stock features a turbo can more than easily produce a greater output based on its size but will be harder for the average guy to maintain.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #66
Road Trip!

This is the real reason turbo's are not used in top fuel...For one, NHRA's rules outlaw turbochargers. Why, I don't know. So they have to use a supercharger.
Second, they are unsafe for that application. Because the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens, the hot burning nitromethane would hit the turbine wheel of a turbo. This would NOT be a good thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruChris View Post
I thought suerchargers are harder on your engine because its using engine pulleys to be powered which robs you of hp and lowers engine life. But i know the turbo runs hotter because of exhuast air and if you arent careful and dont know what you are doing you can seriously mess up your engine with a turbo because you can boost it as much as you want. Thats what i think i know, or beleive to be correct from everything ive learned. But i would much rather go with a supercharger. I plan to procharge my car soon.
but the turbo doesn't pump the exhaust gas into your engine.
it uses it to turn a turbine that shoves outside-air into your engine.
if done correctly it shouldn't run hotter than a supercharger. heck, if they're both one correctly you shouldn't have to worry about it getting hot at all.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo is 90% ground work. You can get a turbo big enough to give you headroom, then just limit it with a boost controller and turn it up as needed. Running a bigger turbo means more lag, but you have to find a balance. Do lots of turbo maps, pick the best one. Don't just grab a turbo on ebay and expect excellent results.

Superchargers are easier to mount IF they make a manifold for your vehicle and they just bolt on. Custom wise, a turbo is easier since you can buy flanges and tell an exhaust shop what you want. Otherwise you have to have tons of brackets made, belts rerouted, then have to worry about pulley sizes, belts slipping, hood clearance and so on.

The only good thing about superchargers compared to turbos is they're mostly self-contained lubrication. Turbos you ALWAYS have to run oil lines and mess with your oil system to do it. I will say superchargers are more reliable and they work. Fewer parts and fewer things to go wrong.

If I was doing a build where I could save money by doing a supercharger, I would. However, on this platform, both will be expensive unless you do the work. I'd prefer turbo over supercharger due to the benefits and I'd like to own one. Only turbo vehicle I've driven so far is the Ecoboost F150.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
but the turbo doesn't pump the exhaust gas into your engine.
it uses it to turn a turbine that shoves outside-air into your engine.
if done correctly it shouldn't run hotter than a supercharger. heck, if they're both one correctly you shouldn't have to worry about it getting hot at all.
They both get hot. Turbo gets heat transferred via exhaust system. Superchargers (roots) get it transferred via the intake manifold.

If that wasn't enough, compressing air makes heat. It's a by product of forcing the air together. Same way air compressors get hot in a shop.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
This is the real reason turbo's are not used in top fuel...For one, NHRA's rules outlaw turbochargers. Why, I don't know. So they have to use a supercharger.
Second, they are unsafe for that application. Because the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens, the hot burning nitromethane would hit the turbine wheel of a turbo. This would NOT be a good thing.
Negative.. Nhra has rules and specs based on class not based on sc vs turbo. And as far as unburned methanol reaching the turbo it would just be spat out the down pipe or release valve. Yes it might detonate again but not within the turbo due to release pressure .
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How much will either effect mileage?
Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang