2013 turbo - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Turbo is 90% ground work. You can get a turbo big enough to give you headroom, then just limit it with a boost controller and turn it up as needed. Running a bigger turbo means more lag, but you have to find a balance. Do lots of turbo maps, pick the best one. Don't just grab a turbo on ebay and expect excellent results.

Superchargers are easier to mount IF they make a manifold for your vehicle and they just bolt on. Custom wise, a turbo is easier since you can buy flanges and tell an exhaust shop what you want. Otherwise you have to have tons of brackets made, belts rerouted, then have to worry about pulley sizes, belts slipping, hood clearance and so on.

The only good thing about superchargers compared to turbos is they're mostly self-contained lubrication. Turbos you ALWAYS have to run oil lines and mess with your oil system to do it. I will say superchargers are more reliable and they work. Fewer parts and fewer things to go wrong.

If I was doing a build where I could save money by doing a supercharger, I would. However, on this platform, both will be expensive unless you do the work. I'd prefer turbo over supercharger due to the benefits and I'd like to own one. Only turbo vehicle I've driven so far is the Ecoboost F150.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------



They both get hot. Turbo gets heat transferred via exhaust system. Superchargers (roots) get it transferred via the intake manifold.

If that wasn't enough, compressing air makes heat. It's a by product of forcing the air together. Same way air compressors get hot in a shop.
Am all for turbo builds but the cheaper and easier is supercharger due to less mounting and no piping required .. true bigger turbo bigger lagg unless your motor has the power to get up the rpms on its own then its power and power and did i mention power..
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmyr View Post
How much will either effect mileage?
Greatly..
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Both are almost negligible if you stay out of boost. ;P

My Grand Prix has to be near 300whp and still gets 30mpg highway with my own custom tune (I own tuning software). Around town with the cam, it eats gas though. I've seen it at low as 19mpg with me having fun romping on it.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Both are almost negligible if you stay out of boost. ;P

My Grand Prix has to be near 300whp and still gets 30mpg highway with my own custom tune (I own tuning software). Around town with the cam, it eats gas though. I've seen it at low as 19mpg with me having fun romping on it.
That's because you have more power to push more weight without changing injection
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taylorations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 333
http://www.americanmuscle.com/procha...ut-2011v6.html

AM doesn't provide SC's for the 2013 model, they will have one in the 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

If you look at the Product Q&A, you will see that someone asked about the fitting for a ProCharger on a 2013, and ProCharger is wanting to make a new model for the '13s.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
http://www.americanmuscle.com/procha...ut-2011v6.html

AM doesn't provide SC's for the 2013 model, they will have one in the 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

If you look at the Product Q&A, you will see that someone asked about the fitting for a ProCharger on a 2013, and ProCharger is wanting to make a new model for the '13s.
We know this.. What's your point???
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
we who?
Maybe the point is the 13' has potential the 11'-12' does not.. Hence.. A new kit..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
I still don't see the point of saying there's none yet.. The thread is about whether turbo or sc.. Or custom setup
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
we who?
Maybe the point is the 13' has potential the 11'-12' does not.. Hence.. A new kit..
But for the most part, they're the same thing. Just some cosmetic and interior differences
And a better driveshaft

I think they're making a new kit because of hood fitment.. But that's just my opinion...
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taylorations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 333
I believe someone said that you can ProCharge.

And you can't.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Also, what if you were the only person that knew this info, and other people didn't know this? I provided additional information that was still completely on subject, so what's the big deal?
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

But for the most part, they're the same thing. Just some cosmetic and interior differences
And a better driveshaft

I think they're making a new kit because of hood fitment.. But that's just my opinion...
A better driveshaft? Last time I checked the 13s still have the cheap two-piece driveshaft.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
I believe someone said that you can ProCharge.

And you can't.
Now that makes sense.. But u just threw it in there so i was like ookkk .. The only reason pro charger hasn't released one is due to tuning issues
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

A better driveshaft? Last time I checked the 13s still have the cheap two-piece driveshaft.
They revised the 2013 driveshaft
I'm not sure on specifics but it is a bit lighter
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taylorations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

They revised the 2013 driveshaft
I'm not sure on specifics but it is a bit lighter
But they're still pretty lame.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
But they're still pretty lame.
As far as I know, only one has been documented breaking I know of. I've heard of another.

So... 2 out of how many mustangs over 3 years is lame? I think it's something blown way out of proportion.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taylorations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

As far as I know, only one has been documented breaking I know of. I've heard of another.

So... 2 out of how many mustangs over 3 years is lame? I think it's something blown way out of proportion.
Well yes, but stock mustangs wouldn't be able to break the driveshaft.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
There's a lot of guys out there with tuned 3.7s with no limiter on them. I'd say very few are running an aluminum shaft.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post

Well yes, but stock mustangs wouldn't be able to break the driveshaft.
Yes it will.. But removing the limiter
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taylorations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 333
Well excuse me, I was incorrect and sincerely apologize.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
Well excuse me, I was incorrect and sincerely apologize.
It happens to the best of us
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Lol, I think it was sarcasm. Anyway... HUGS!
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
Well excuse me, I was incorrect and sincerely apologize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Lol, I think it was sarcasm. Anyway... HUGS!
Lol your excused...
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations

Well yes, but stock mustangs wouldn't be able to break the driveshaft.
STOCK mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
There's a lot of guys out there with tuned 3.7s with no limiter on them. I'd say very few are running an aluminum shaft.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

Yes it will.. But removing the limiter

Removing the limiter makes it not stock...so, still, a stock Mustang has yet to break one.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

STOCK mustangs.

Very true.

Removing the limiter makes it not stock...so, still, a stock Mustang has yet to break one.
If you want to get technical its still stock unless you tune it.. If you just remove the limiter its still stock but yes your right there is no record of a stock ds being broken.
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

If you want to get technical its still stock unless you tune it.. If you just remove the limiter its still stock but yes your right there is no record of a stock ds being broken.
I wonder if anyone knows/has info on torque/hp max capacity for the driveshaft. And I get what you are saying, but if one has a stock car and it pegs at 113, or whatever, then if it goes past then its not stock anymore. Any CPU change is not stock anymore.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I wonder if anyone knows/has info on torque/hp max capacity for the driveshaft. And I get what you are saying, but if one has a stock car and it pegs at 113, or whatever, then if it goes past then its not stock anymore. Any CPU change is not stock anymore.
True in that form... Its rated for 400hp/400tq .. I might be wrong
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

True in that form... Its rated for 400hp/400tq .. I might be wrong
Where did you get that from? And man, your car looks good. The white with the 13 changes looks really good.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Where did you get that from? And man, your car looks good. The white with the 13 changes looks really good.
Its a ball park based on the gt which is rated at 650.. I read somewhere . I have to double check on that. Thanks bro yea the whit sure makes a difference not too many out there
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

Its a ball park based on the gt which is rated at 650.. I read somewhere . I have to double check on that. Thanks bro yea the whit sure makes a difference not too many out there
Just 12 vs 13, I like the 12 better. BUT. In the right colors, like white and gun metal, man, the 13 is just jaw dropping.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Yep. The engine is always moving the supercharger and having to turn the rotors in it. Boost it makes is based off engine load. If you accelerate slow you never make boost. Floor it, even at low rpms, you'll get boost. It's why they're linear and have more torque.

For the fun of it... the Eaton M90 blower on my Grand Prix:
Nice!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Just 12 vs 13, I like the 12 better. BUT. In the right colors, like white and gun metal, man, the 13 is just jaw dropping.
And how lucky am i that i picked white lol
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post

And how lucky am i that i picked white lol
I hate te 13 front end
But I want the tail lights so bad!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

I hate te 13 front end
But I want the tail lights so bad!
I love my front but cus of my stripes. And yea the deck is the sexiest part.
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
I agree, the rear of the 13 is sweet. I blacked out my 2012 tails and like them but it's still not as good looking as the 13 in my opinion. I almost traded for a 13 but just couldn't let my baby go. Ill own mine in just under 3 years, maybe ill trade for a new one then, depends on what the new stang will look like, there is no telling at this point.
__________________
"Turn the mic back on" -Winston Churchill
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I agree, the rear of the 13 is sweet. I blacked out my 2012 tails and like them but it's still not as good looking as the 13 in my opinion. I almost traded for a 13 but just couldn't let my baby go. Ill own mine in just under 3 years, maybe ill trade for a new one then, depends on what the new stang will look like, there is no telling at this point.
You will love it more when you get it.. I love mine its what made me get it in white!
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:48 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.