2013 turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2013 turbo

i was wondering if we can turbo the v6
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hmmm not sure about turbo but you can supercharge it. There are many different company's that make it for the v6 I'm sure
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here ya go. You can turbo anything, if you have the parts and patience. http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
^^+1

You can turbo whatever you want. However, I recommend supercharger. It's much better for the life of your engine. Turbos pump really hot air and way more psi. A supercharger will make your V6 the king of the road and only pump about 8psi, making it a lot easier on your engine. Plus, a dual piston supercharger creates no heat at all, so it doesn't even need an intercooler.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma
^^+1

You can turbo whatever you want. However, I recommend supercharger. It's much better for the life of your engine. Turbos pump really hot air and way more psi. A supercharger will make your V6 the king of the road and only pump about 8psi, making it a lot easier on your engine. Plus, a dual piston supercharger creates no heat at all, so it doesn't even need an intercooler.
I have to disagree with this. Turbo is much more efficient at the same power level. A turbo uses wasted energy to create more power whereas a supercharger takes power directly from the motor.
A good turbo system will cost you more money but you have greater flexibility in power levels.

What is this dual piston sc you speak of?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I have to disagree with this. Turbo is much more efficient at the same power level. A turbo uses wasted energy to create more power whereas a supercharger takes power directly from the motor.
A good turbo system will cost you more money but you have greater flexibility in power levels.

Yep. What he said.

Turbos make as much boost as you want, its why they have boost controllers to monitor it. It's generally cooler air than a roots or whipple supercharger because you can use a full size air to air intercooler. The other ones have to use a smaller water to air intercooler with their own water system.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just YouTube 'what is forced induction'. More psi means more wear on your engine. I agree superchargers rob power because they run off of the vehicles pulley, but I would personally rather have less psi and know my engine will last longer.

A dual screw supercharger is just one of two style superchargers. It's not a brand, it's a design. Just YouTube it an there is a cool 8 minute or so video on benefits and downfalls of all forced induction options.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

[QUOTE="Sanguin;1490987"]

Yep. What he said.

Turbos make as much boost as you want, its why they have boost controllers to monitor it. It's generally cooler air than a

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

Yep. What he said.

Turbos make as much boost as you want, its why they have boost controllers to monitor it. It's generally cooler air than a roots or whipple supercharger because you can use a full size air to air intercooler. The other ones have to use a smaller water to air intercooler with their own water system.
no, turbos always make hotter air. Even running dual inter coolers is still hotter than ambient air. Like I said, a dual screw supercharger creates no heat what so ever, thus not needing an inter cooler, however, an added inter cooler would make induction that much colder.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote:

And sorry, I meant dual screw.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
But the supercharger takes energy directly from the belt system of the engine. Meaning there's that wear in the engine plus the psi.. With the turbo it's just the psi.
This is a pointless discussion because that facts are the turbo is far more efficient.. YouTube is like Wiki.. Anyone can post anything there.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I thought suerchargers are harder on your engine because its using engine pulleys to be powered which robs you of hp and lowers engine life. But i know the turbo runs hotter because of exhuast air and if you arent careful and dont know what you are doing you can seriously mess up your engine with a turbo because you can boost it as much as you want. Thats what i think i know, or beleive to be correct from everything ive learned. But i would much rather go with a supercharger. I plan to procharge my car soon.
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys
I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys run off of your main pulley. So no, sorry, adding a frictionless pulley to the mix is not worse at all by any means. Heat is the main enemy when it comes to power, and ten out of ten times, a turbo creates an incredible amount of heat, this is why an inter cooler is a necessity when it comes to turbo forced induction. And yes, YouTube is not always purely factual, but it's not all lies and there is truth out there.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

But it is additional engine use.
Its like smoking one ciggarette wont kill you right than and there but overtime it slowely put more wear and is more work.
Please correct me if i am wrong though.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys run off of your main pulley. So no, sorry, adding a frictionless pulley to the mix is not worse at all by any means. Heat is the main enemy when it comes to power, and ten out of ten times, a turbo creates an incredible amount of heat, this is why an inter cooler is a necessity when it comes to turbo forced induction. And yes, YouTube is not always purely factual, but it's not all lies and there is truth out there.
I have a roots blown car. The amount of heat it produces robs me of 40-45 hp in no time. I run an ice box and go through 10lb of ice for each run down the track.
I also eat at least one belt a year due to the friction from my sc pulley at 18000+ rpm's.

Some people are scared of turbos like they are of nitrous. A proper boost controller and waste gate prevents any overboost situations.

Fact is a turbo will make more power at the exact same psi as a supercharger.
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You're right in what you're saying, but it's such a small addition of wear on your engine than a turbo. Like I said, even a dual inter cooling system is still blowing hot air in the engine, just not as hot as one. Also, the psi on a turbo can be set to be ridiculously high, like 20-30+ psi. A supercharger cannot do this. Meaning, you get more horsepower out of a turbo, and it doesn't use the engine to power itself, but causes more damage with heat and boost than a supercharger ever could utilizing a pulley, with relatively no extra work for the engine. Granted its a little, it more than makes up for the extra main pulley it utilizes.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Quote:

I have a roots blown car. The amount of heat it produces robs me of 40-45 hp in no time. I run an ice box and go through 10lb of ice for each run down the track.
I also eat at least one belt a year due to the friction from my sc pulley at 18000+ rpm's.

Some people are scared of turbos like they are of nitrous. A proper boost controller and waste gate prevents any overboost situations.

Fact is a turbo will make more power at the exact same psi as a supercharger.
I agree a turbo will do this. A turbo means more boost, but more boost means more engine wear. I'd rather replace a belt than gaskets and seals.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
You're right in what you're saying, but it's such a small addition of wear on your engine than a turbo. Like I said, even a dual inter cooling system is still blowing hot air in the engine, just not as hot as one. Also, the psi on a turbo can be set to be ridiculously high, like 20-30+ psi. A supercharger cannot do this. Meaning, you get more horsepower out of a turbo, and it doesn't use the engine to power itself, but causes more damage with heat and boost than a supercharger ever could utilizing a pulley, with relatively no extra work for the engine. Granted its a little, it more than makes up for the extra main pulley it utilizes.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I agree a turbo will do this. A turbo means more boost, but more boost means more engine wear. I'd rather replace a belt than gaskets and seals.
I don't think you understand what i'm saying.

A supercharger at 6psi will make less power than a turbo at 6psi. No extra strain on the motor.
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't heard that.

Anyway, I've given my opinion to the thread owner. Hope everything works out for you. Had fun chatting with you guys. Cheers.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

To the op, any form of fi comes with increased risk of engine damage. There is no such thing as a safe power adder.
Weigh your goals for the car against your options and budget and do your research.
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
to answer the OP's question, and what you have probably figured out by now, you can supercharge or turbo your V6. There is the hellion turbo system available and there are others in the works (rumors say CFM is working on one). there are also a few supercharger kit's already available. for whatever reason allot of mustang owners prefer superchargers and thats why you see them come out first. Maybe it's because the gt500 and cobra jet has always been supercharged or maybe people feel that turbo is for tuners and superchargers are for american muscle cars... who knows.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Check out the latest "5.0 Mustangs and fast Fords" magazine. There's an aftermarket vendor (hellion) article that installs a turbo on the 3.7 V6.

Kit starts at about $3900.00

For me, I'll just go the route of the GT when I want more HP over my current V6. Waiting on the 2015's....
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
At this point there is only one supercharger kit on the market - the Procharger. If you have an automatic or a 2013 though you can't get a complete kit.

Hellion has the only turbo kit right now. I don't like the placement of their turbo though or the fact it requires a scavenger pump.

CFM is still working on their kit. No ETA as of yet but pictures look like a better set up.

The engine doesn't know how it is being boosted. Wear is about the same.

Turbo though will produce more RWHP and torque at the same level of boost.

There is no roots or twin screw for the 3.7. It is going to be tough to fit one, especially with an intercooler. Pull your intake manifold and take a look. The valley is very narrow and the injectors stand up tight too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

*sigh* Don't listen to Puma. He has no idea what he's talking about. Like low, I have a roots blower (m90) on my Grand Prix. It made 6lbs of boost stock. I modified a lot of things and dropped pullies. Im making 12lbs of boost atm. I can't add more boost without an intercooler, because the air is so hot from the supercharger. Compressing air makes heat, any of them heat the air. Nature of the beast.

Turbos can achieve high psi output, but it doesn't mean you can use that much. A car that can handle 8psi can only handle 8psi. There are things that can be done to allow more but there you go.

Superchargers take power to make power.
Turbos are free power as a byproduct of exhaust.

Listen to the people that have them or have played with them. I've had my Grand Prix blown for about 6+ years. I have another blown Grand Prix sitting at the house too. I love six cylinder boosted cars.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
*sigh* Don't listen to Puma. He has no idea what he's talking about. Like low, I have a roots blower (m90) on my Grand Prix. It made 6lbs of boost stock. I modified a lot of things and dropped pullies. Im making 12lbs of boost atm. I can't add more boost without an intercooler, because the air is so hot from the supercharger. Compressing air makes heat, any of them heat the air. Nature of the beast.

Turbos can achieve high psi output, but it doesn't mean you can use that much. A car that can handle 8psi can only handle 8psi. There are things that can be done to allow more but there you go.

Superchargers take power to make power.
Turbos are free power as a byproduct of exhaust.

Listen to the people that have them or have played with them. I've had my Grand Prix blown for about 6+ years. I have another blown Grand Prix sitting at the house too. I love six cylinder boosted cars.
I am just saying what ive been taught. And if i am wrong someone please tel me. But sanguin is right listen to people that have done it to their cars.... Lol
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

thank you everyone that reply still thinking about about but i dont even know where to start for Performance as mt first mod.

a one thing what is this ghost cam i a lot of people having them on there v6?? just wondering
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55
thank you everyone that reply still thinking about about but i dont even know where to start for Performance as mt first mod.

a one thing what is this ghost cam i a lot of people having them on there v6?? just wondering
Ghost cam was only available on the 5.0 to my knowledge.

If you are just starting out spend the next few months reading and researching before purchasing anything. You don't want to buy mods that won't work with your goals for the car.
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you are just starting out spend the next few months reading and researching before purchasing anything. You don't want to buy mods that won't work with your goals for the car.
Good advice. Set a goal and stick with it. You should dig deep into old threads here, there is a wealth of great info on this forum. I'm confident that if you do some reading and digging in the old threads your path to performance will become clear.

Fear not the dark side as fear leads to anger and anger to hate...

Sorry, just watched Star Wars lol
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are some for the 3.7. I think Lund does it and maybe Bama now. There is a vid on youtube for anyone who feels like searching.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There are some for the 3.7. I think Lund does it and maybe Bama now. There is a vid on youtube for anyone who feels like searching.
Mpt does one
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

thank you everyone i think the first mod im going to do is the drive shaft then gears
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
thank you everyone i think the first mod im going to do is the drive shaft then gears
Really? Ds as first mod?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

let him do what he wants its his car...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Really? Ds as first mod?
what you recommend??
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what you recommend??
Don't worry about it. If you're really going balls to the walls performance, it's a good starting place.

-Free ponies since it frees up drivetrain loss.
-Mod most people recommend it before going very far power wise.
-No tune or anything else required to get full benefit.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a good idea, your going to need one later anyways and once you start adding HP mods your going to be hooked. Then the day will come when you reslize Taft you NEED a new drive shaft and you will kick yourself because you really wanted to spend that $ on some other mod.... Drive shaft first will make you happy down the road, think long term not short
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

i have an questions about the gears

can i just get 3.73 gears or is there more to it??
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I have an automatic V6 2012, can I put a supercharger or turbo, or is that only for standard vehicles. Please excuse my ignorance I don't know anything about cars. I am 35 yrs old and this is my first Mustang or sports car for that matter.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
i have an questions about the gears

can i just get 3.73 gears or is there more to it??
Just an install kit, the actual install & Im guessing a speedo adjustment.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang