Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2013 turbo

7K views 131 replies 27 participants last post by  UltArc 
#1 ·
i was wondering if we can turbo the v6

#4 ·
^^+1

You can turbo whatever you want. However, I recommend supercharger. It's much better for the life of your engine. Turbos pump really hot air and way more psi. A supercharger will make your V6 the king of the road and only pump about 8psi, making it a lot easier on your engine. Plus, a dual piston supercharger creates no heat at all, so it doesn't even need an intercooler.

#5 ·
The Puma said:
^^+1

You can turbo whatever you want. However, I recommend supercharger. It's much better for the life of your engine. Turbos pump really hot air and way more psi. A supercharger will make your V6 the king of the road and only pump about 8psi, making it a lot easier on your engine. Plus, a dual piston supercharger creates no heat at all, so it doesn't even need an intercooler.
I have to disagree with this. Turbo is much more efficient at the same power level. A turbo uses wasted energy to create more power whereas a supercharger takes power directly from the motor.
A good turbo system will cost you more money but you have greater flexibility in power levels.

What is this dual piston sc you speak of?

#6 ·
Yep. What he said.

Turbos make as much boost as you want, its why they have boost controllers to monitor it. It's generally cooler air than a roots or whipple supercharger because you can use a full size air to air intercooler. The other ones have to use a smaller water to air intercooler with their own water system.

#8 ·
But the supercharger takes energy directly from the belt system of the engine. Meaning there's that wear in the engine plus the psi.. With the turbo it's just the psi.
This is a pointless discussion because that facts are the turbo is far more efficient.. YouTube is like Wiki.. Anyone can post anything there. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I thought suerchargers are harder on your engine because its using engine pulleys to be powered which robs you of hp and lowers engine life. But i know the turbo runs hotter because of exhuast air and if you arent careful and dont know what you are doing you can seriously mess up your engine with a turbo because you can boost it as much as you want. Thats what i think i know, or beleive to be correct from everything ive learned. But i would much rather go with a supercharger. I plan to procharge my car soon.

#67 ·
but the turbo doesn't pump the exhaust gas into your engine.
it uses it to turn a turbine that shoves outside-air into your engine.
if done correctly it shouldn't run hotter than a supercharger. heck, if they're both one correctly you shouldn't have to worry about it getting hot at all.

#10 ·
I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys
I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys run off of your main pulley. So no, sorry, adding a frictionless pulley to the mix is not worse at all by any means. Heat is the main enemy when it comes to power, and ten out of ten times, a turbo creates an incredible amount of heat, this is why an inter cooler is a necessity when it comes to turbo forced induction. And yes, YouTube is not always purely factual, but it's not all lies and there is truth out there.

#12 ·
The Puma said:

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I know that turbos are more efficient. But saying a single pulley being used to power two screws that have no friction is like saying that your a/c is going to ruin your engine. All your pulleys run off of your main pulley. So no, sorry, adding a frictionless pulley to the mix is not worse at all by any means. Heat is the main enemy when it comes to power, and ten out of ten times, a turbo creates an incredible amount of heat, this is why an inter cooler is a necessity when it comes to turbo forced induction. And yes, YouTube is not always purely factual, but it's not all lies and there is truth out there.
I have a roots blown car. The amount of heat it produces robs me of 40-45 hp in no time. I run an ice box and go through 10lb of ice for each run down the track.
I also eat at least one belt a year due to the friction from my sc pulley at 18000+ rpm's.

Some people are scared of turbos like they are of nitrous. A proper boost controller and waste gate prevents any overboost situations.

Fact is a turbo will make more power at the exact same psi as a supercharger.

#13 ·
You're right in what you're saying, but it's such a small addition of wear on your engine than a turbo. Like I said, even a dual inter cooling system is still blowing hot air in the engine, just not as hot as one. Also, the psi on a turbo can be set to be ridiculously high, like 20-30+ psi. A supercharger cannot do this. Meaning, you get more horsepower out of a turbo, and it doesn't use the engine to power itself, but causes more damage with heat and boost than a supercharger ever could utilizing a pulley, with relatively no extra work for the engine. Granted its a little, it more than makes up for the extra main pulley it utilizes.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I have a roots blown car. The amount of heat it produces robs me of 40-45 hp in no time. I run an ice box and go through 10lb of ice for each run down the track.
I also eat at least one belt a year due to the friction from my sc pulley at 18000+ rpm's.

Some people are scared of turbos like they are of nitrous. A proper boost controller and waste gate prevents any overboost situations.

Fact is a turbo will make more power at the exact same psi as a supercharger.
I agree a turbo will do this. A turbo means more boost, but more boost means more engine wear. I'd rather replace a belt than gaskets and seals.

#14 ·
The Puma said:
You're right in what you're saying, but it's such a small addition of wear on your engine than a turbo. Like I said, even a dual inter cooling system is still blowing hot air in the engine, just not as hot as one. Also, the psi on a turbo can be set to be ridiculously high, like 20-30+ psi. A supercharger cannot do this. Meaning, you get more horsepower out of a turbo, and it doesn't use the engine to power itself, but causes more damage with heat and boost than a supercharger ever could utilizing a pulley, with relatively no extra work for the engine. Granted its a little, it more than makes up for the extra main pulley it utilizes.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I agree a turbo will do this. A turbo means more boost, but more boost means more engine wear. I'd rather replace a belt than gaskets and seals.
I don't think you understand what i'm saying.

A supercharger at 6psi will make less power than a turbo at 6psi. No extra strain on the motor.

#16 ·
To the op, any form of fi comes with increased risk of engine damage. There is no such thing as a safe power adder.
Weigh your goals for the car against your options and budget and do your research.

#17 ·
to answer the OP's question, and what you have probably figured out by now, you can supercharge or turbo your V6. There is the hellion turbo system available and there are others in the works (rumors say CFM is working on one). there are also a few supercharger kit's already available. for whatever reason allot of mustang owners prefer superchargers and thats why you see them come out first. Maybe it's because the gt500 and cobra jet has always been supercharged or maybe people feel that turbo is for tuners and superchargers are for american muscle cars... who knows.

#18 · (Edited)
Check out the latest "5.0 Mustangs and fast Fords" magazine. There's an aftermarket vendor (hellion) article that installs a turbo on the 3.7 V6.

Kit starts at about $3900.00

For me, I'll just go the route of the GT when I want more HP over my current V6. Waiting on the 2015's....

#19 ·
At this point there is only one supercharger kit on the market - the Procharger. If you have an automatic or a 2013 though you can't get a complete kit.

Hellion has the only turbo kit right now. I don't like the placement of their turbo though or the fact it requires a scavenger pump.

CFM is still working on their kit. No ETA as of yet but pictures look like a better set up.

The engine doesn't know how it is being boosted. Wear is about the same.

Turbo though will produce more RWHP and torque at the same level of boost.

There is no roots or twin screw for the 3.7. It is going to be tough to fit one, especially with an intercooler. Pull your intake manifold and take a look. The valley is very narrow and the injectors stand up tight too.

#20 ·
*sigh* Don't listen to Puma. He has no idea what he's talking about. Like low, I have a roots blower (m90) on my Grand Prix. It made 6lbs of boost stock. I modified a lot of things and dropped pullies. Im making 12lbs of boost atm. I can't add more boost without an intercooler, because the air is so hot from the supercharger. Compressing air makes heat, any of them heat the air. Nature of the beast.

Turbos can achieve high psi output, but it doesn't mean you can use that much. A car that can handle 8psi can only handle 8psi. There are things that can be done to allow more but there you go.

Superchargers take power to make power.
Turbos are free power as a byproduct of exhaust.

Listen to the people that have them or have played with them. I've had my Grand Prix blown for about 6+ years. I have another blown Grand Prix sitting at the house too. I love six cylinder boosted cars.

#23 ·
arturo55 said:
thank you everyone that reply still thinking about about but i dont even know where to start for Performance as mt first mod.

a one thing what is this ghost cam i a lot of people having them on there v6?? just wondering
Ghost cam was only available on the 5.0 to my knowledge.

If you are just starting out spend the next few months reading and researching before purchasing anything. You don't want to buy mods that won't work with your goals for the car.

#24 ·
Good advice. Set a goal and stick with it. You should dig deep into old threads here, there is a wealth of great info on this forum. I'm confident that if you do some reading and digging in the old threads your path to performance will become clear.

Fear not the dark side as fear leads to anger and anger to hate...

Sorry, just watched Star Wars lol

#32 ·
I think it's a good idea, your going to need one later anyways and once you start adding HP mods your going to be hooked. Then the day will come when you reslize Taft you NEED a new drive shaft and you will kick yourself because you really wanted to spend that $ on some other mod.... Drive shaft first will make you happy down the road, think long term not short

#37 · (Edited)
Why spend 500 plus bucks on a drive shaft as a first mod? Awfully expensive to gain how much HP?

Wait on the driveshaft until your warranty is over; at least the first 36K bumper to bumper. Then a tuner, exhaust, a CAI that works well with the tuner, then if you must drive over the 130 MPH current speed limiter that Ford has set, do the driveshaft and lift the speed limiter.

I'll assume you plan to run the car at a track; lifting the speed limiter and using a single piece driveshaft to allow for the excessive speeds over 130 make no sense for the public roads.

You might consider a GT as your next Mustang if you must go that fast. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Before the hate posts come, I enjoy my V6 for what it is; fun to drive, quick response, and fantastic fuel economy making it a great total package for it's price.

#40 ·
You can still put one on your car, it is just that the Procharger kit is for manual. So you need to get the "tuner" kit and may have to do a little extra fabrication and a dyno tune to get it running. So have a tuner lined up and ready to deliver your car to.

As far as a turbo, the only kit out right now is the Hellion. That is the one where the turbo is mounted in the driver side fender well, and it requires a scavenger pump for the oil because the turbo is mounted low.

So either go with that, or fabricate your own turbo set up if you have the skills (or friends with skills and necessary tools - that is where I am heading). Of course, doing your own you will have to again arrange for a tuner to get it running correctly.

#44 ·
I think someone mentioned this elsewhere and they said those turbos are pretty much maxed out, they're really small. This would mean your mustang might hit 400hp or just under, but you have no more head room for expansion later. If you could find some taken off for really cheap, I'm sure it'd be viable. However, if you're dumping money on turbos, might as well get what you want to begin with.

#42 ·
Whitelightning said:
+1. Why would you care if it robbed power to make power? It's still going to make the 5-600 hp. And when you go wide open, you're not going to care. I hate turbo systems. Seen too many blown up
I've seen more nitrous and sc cars blowup than turbo. It's all about quality and attention to detail. Doesn't matter what the power adder is if you aren't smart with it

#45 ·
+1000000.. Am all for both but more for turbos..I've seen both ends gone wrong but like u said its all about maintenance

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I think someone mentioned this elsewhere and they said those turbos are pretty much maxed out, they're really small. This would mean your mustang might hit 400hp or just under, but you have no more head room for expansion later. If you could find some taken off for really cheap, I'm sure it'd be viable. However, if you're dumping money on turbos, might as well get what you want to begin with.
I figured... I agree i might as well spend on better potential and higher quality . Thanks for thwarting info. I might go single but if i can get twins for the same price am sold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.