Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tinting question

4K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  rotors 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about tinting my 2012 Mustang but wanted to get everyone's feed back on what a good percentage would be. Don't want it too dark but would 35% look decent on a race red color?

#2 ·
35% is where the tint starts to get dark. 35% is still good enough to look blackish and let you see outside at night backing up.

My Malibu had 15% on it, and it was a pain to see out of, I had to roll the windows down sometimes. Both my Grand Prix and Mustang are 35% and I'm pretty happy with it.

35% on a bright day...

#33 ·
35% is where the tint starts to get dark. 35% is still good enough to look blackish and let you see outside at night backing up.

My Malibu had 15% on it, and it was a pain to see out of, I had to roll the windows down sometimes. Both my Grand Prix and Mustang are 35% and I'm pretty happy with it.

35% on a bright day...
I would go 20% on the sides and rear but that's just me. Here in Maryland the legal tint is 35% for the front side windows. 35% is just not dark enough.

#10 ·
I got 35% and sure wish I would of went darker.
If cops were strict around here there's no way I would have done 5% .. I love it and I have no complainants :) So if 35% is the legal limit and cops are strict in your area then go for it!
Unless the cops in your area are 100% duchebags go for 20%. That's what I have and its a great medium. If I was to do it over I would go 5% bc I have sensitive eyes.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like I might go darker than 35%, maybe 20%, for looks and also to keep it somewhat cooler in the summertime. In response to Hmiller, I'm getting it done in TN where the max legal is 5%. However the thing about Ft. Campbell is we sit in both KY and TN. I don't know what the max legal in KY is so I don't wanna get screwed with by cops when I go over.

#14 ·
rotors said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like I might go darker than 35%, maybe 20%, for looks and also to keep it somewhat cooler in the summertime. In response to Hmiller, I'm getting it done in TN where the max legal is 5%. However the thing about Ft. Campbell is we sit in both KY and TN. I don't know what the max legal in KY is so I don't wanna get screwed with by cops when I go over.
Tn is 35%. My work truck is registered in tn

#18 ·
Black on Black said:
Technically you can go as dark as you want on the back sides and rear. The front is what they care about. It's more for officer safety than yours.
Only in certain areas. Several states specify all windows.

#22 ·
I have 17% on my 2012. I like it allot but I do roll my windows down when crossing multiple lanes of traffic. It's not so much a need as it is me not wanting to get hit in my new car. I have been pulled over before and the officer didn't say anything about it or my exhaust, just didn't agree with my speed lol... 47 in a 35

#27 ·
ouch! It depends, but I've heard of people getting pulled here for 10 mph over. Luckily, radar detectors are legal in the 2 states so next investment right there

#28 ·
I don't use a detector, I use my eyes. I don't speed more than 5-8mph over except on rare occasions. I've never had a ticket, only gotten pulled over once and told "go home" for laying rubber all through first gear on main street with my Grand Prix. lol

#30 ·
I had a tough decision when I tinted mine. I wanted to go 20% all the way around, but being from Chicago 35% is the legal limit and they're pretty strict on it. After a good month of going back and forth I compromised and went 35% on the front and 20% on the back. IMO it looks great and I'm very happy with my choice. :)

#31 ·
Make sure you check your state and local laws on tint... I live in upstate NY and my area allows 20% on driver and passenger side the rear window can be limo.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Make sure you check your state and local laws on tint... I live in upstate NY and my area allows 20% on driver and passenger side and the installer must insert the state sticker showing the tint is legal... the rear window can be limo.

#32 · (Edited)
Check out this site for legal shades allowed for your state:

Welcome to TintLaws.com

The "visor" column referes to how far down the tint cam be on your windshield; there are tiny letters on the left/right of the windshield.

That is, if it's important to you to be legit.....

#34 · (Edited)
all states are differant when it comes to % of tint,here in missouri it is 20% and no tint on front windshield. when I bought my car the back window was so dark I couldn't see out of it in bright sun. took it off right away. Go as dark as you want within legal limits but be safe, got to see all those other idiot drivers out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.