$150 for a CAI? cant beat that - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
$150 for a CAI? cant beat that

I just stumbled across this while looking at parts. There were a few color options floating around on google shopping. There are blue, red, black, and white filter models as well if you want to color match. The add says it is for the 2011 but I dont see why it wouldn't fit on 2012 or 13 unless someone knows something I dont about these.

happy shopping!

Spectre Performance 9929K Air Intake Kit 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L-Black HPR Filter
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That picture sure does not look like a 2011 up CAI

That picture sure does not look like a 2011 up CAI for a Mustang. I would find out before buying one. The 2011 up V6 Mustangs get cold air through the front grill area. The one in that picture just don't look right.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you look closely at your stock intake you can see a small passage to pull outside air in. That makes since with the stock intake because it is sealed on top to keep air flowing the proper direction thru the paper filter. On an aftermarket cone intake you dont have to seal the top of the intake cover and air is going to naturally pass thru the grille and into the intake. If you think about it, you could almost use a straight tube or put a slight curve on it like airaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The AIRAID does connect to the grill opening.

The air box on the AirAid is open at the top but very close to the hood.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would think twice about any vehicle aftermarket website named "Race-Mart." For another $100 you could get a legit, well reviewed CAI. Or keep checking your forums/ebay/craigslist for a used one, it would be better then what you're looking at, IMO.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
I just stumbled across this while looking at parts. There were a few color options floating around on google shopping. There are blue, red, black, and white filter models as well if you want to color match. The add says it is for the 2011 but I dont see why it wouldn't fit on 2012 or 13 unless someone knows something I dont about these.

happy shopping!

Spectre Performance 9929K Air Intake Kit 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L-Black HPR Filter
Be careful for 2013+ plus. The hood openings drip water, so one should get an2013+ kit,

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Be careful for 2013+ plus. The hood openings drip water, so one should get an2013+ kit,
he's got a v6, it doesn't have the hood openings.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

he's got a v6, it doesn't have the hood openings.
I didn't know it was just v8s with it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yeah, V6 have clean hoods. V8s have the heat extractors top of the hood.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It will not flow any better than your stock setup.

If you're buying it for dress up or to obtain the "sound" when you stomp the right "drive by wire" pedal, then go for it. If you expect any seat of the pants power gains, you'll be disapointed.

If you want power gains, buy a setup that includes a CAI and tuner package. This one you're thinking of would not work well with a tuner; it's stock tube size will not flow any better.

Again, if it's only for looks and sound, go for it. If you have a "plan" to go for more power, then consider buying a better CAI that works with a tuner.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a CAI already, I posted this more for information purposes. I agree that you will see less of a gain with the diameter of the tube being the same as stock. But if you think about it, allot of the non tune CAI's have the same diameter tube, or at least do at the MAF. Ultimately, you can only flow as much air as will pass thru the smallest part of the CAI, that would be where the MAF sensor connects on the non tune CAI's.

As far as race-mart, there just a seller, Specter is the manufacturer and has proven themselves in both racing and on the salt flats..... there called the "400 MPH company" for a reason ya know.... Im not saying it's better but it should be on par with the competition.... wont really know until someone buys one.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know why you guys think the expensive ones are really worth the extra money. All of them are a simple tubing with a heat shield and cone adapter. Sure, some have different diameters, but it's not voodoo.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've reported this before on other CAI threads: the 3.7 V6 does not improve itself with 99% of the CAI kits out there for sale. The stock airbox flows great.

If you go the way of a tuner, larger throttle body, and an exhaust setup, then the CAI kits MADE for a larger throttle body and tuner for the 3.7 V6 will improve performance 10 fold.

If you plan to buy a tuner and do exhaust improvements, hold off on buying a CAI until you buy the tuner at the very least.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I made mine with an adapter that allows me to size up to larger piping later if I want to. So I can do it like the big boys, for less than $100.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I made mine with an adapter that allows me to size up to larger piping later if I want to. So I can do it like the big boys, for less than $100.
Yep... I fallowed Sanguin's lead and built my own CAI as well using his advice. I have not gotten my main tube done yet because I have been working so much but I do have a Cone air filter with a MAF adaptor that works well with my tune. As soon as I figure out how to connect the rubber hoses I will be good to go. and yea, i think im only at like $70 total for what i have now.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Wait, can someone explain to me exactly how to create a CAI? I'm confused
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Links in my signature...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Yep... I fallowed Sanguin's lead and built my own CAI as well using his advice. I have not gotten my main tube done yet because I have been working so much but I do have a Cone air filter with a MAF adaptor that works well with my tune. As soon as I figure out how to connect the rubber hoses I will be good to go. and yea, i think im only at like $70 total for what i have now.
There you go. Impressive to spend some time and do it yourself.

I posted awhile back on how easy it is to cut off the sound "muffler" on the stock 3.7 V6's air tube and use fiberglass to seal it up. May not flow any better, but you'll get the "noise" that folks seem to like when they stomp the right pedal.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There you go. Impressive to spend some time and do it yourself.

I posted awhile back on how easy it is to cut off the sound "muffler" on the stock 3.7 V6's air tube and use fiberglass to seal it up. May not flow any better, but you'll get the "noise" that folks seem to like when they stomp the right pedal.
Is that what that thing is? I couldn't figure out what it did so I didn't want to just cut it off
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, most intake tubes have this bubbles and weird shapes hanging off the sides. They're all for capturing and lowering sounds from the intake.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm takeing a saw to that thing when I get back home... Been traveling on business for 2 weeks solid, my girl friend keeps calling me asking why packages are being delivered...... I have spent every penny of my travel perdeum on parts. I can't even remember what all I bought. And I schedualed a dyno session and talked to AM about looking at the results and firming shift points even more.... Got to love those guys

Gunna be a good day tater

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai