Mustang Evolution Forum banner

$150 for a CAI? cant beat that

Tags
cai
3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  rebeltx 
#1 ·
I just stumbled across this while looking at parts. There were a few color options floating around on google shopping. There are blue, red, black, and white filter models as well if you want to color match. The add says it is for the 2011 but I dont see why it wouldn't fit on 2012 or 13 unless someone knows something I dont about these.

happy shopping!

Spectre Performance 9929K Air Intake Kit 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L-Black HPR Filter

#2 ·
That picture sure does not look like a 2011 up CAI

That picture sure does not look like a 2011 up CAI for a Mustang. I would find out before buying one. The 2011 up V6 Mustangs get cold air through the front grill area. The one in that picture just don't look right.

Ronnie

#3 ·
If you look closely at your stock intake you can see a small passage to pull outside air in. That makes since with the stock intake because it is sealed on top to keep air flowing the proper direction thru the paper filter. On an aftermarket cone intake you dont have to seal the top of the intake cover and air is going to naturally pass thru the grille and into the intake. If you think about it, you could almost use a straight tube or put a slight curve on it like airaid.

#4 ·
The AIRAID does connect to the grill opening.

The air box on the AirAid is open at the top but very close to the hood.

#5 ·
I would think twice about any vehicle aftermarket website named "Race-Mart." For another $100 you could get a legit, well reviewed CAI. Or keep checking your forums/ebay/craigslist for a used one, it would be better then what you're looking at, IMO.

#6 ·
rebeltx said:
I just stumbled across this while looking at parts. There were a few color options floating around on google shopping. There are blue, red, black, and white filter models as well if you want to color match. The add says it is for the 2011 but I dont see why it wouldn't fit on 2012 or 13 unless someone knows something I dont about these.

happy shopping!

Spectre Performance 9929K Air Intake Kit 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L-Black HPR Filter
Be careful for 2013+ plus. The hood openings drip water, so one should get an2013+ kit,

#10 ·
It will not flow any better than your stock setup.

If you're buying it for dress up or to obtain the "sound" when you stomp the right "drive by wire" pedal, then go for it. If you expect any seat of the pants power gains, you'll be disapointed.

If you want power gains, buy a setup that includes a CAI and tuner package. This one you're thinking of would not work well with a tuner; it's stock tube size will not flow any better.

Again, if it's only for looks and sound, go for it. If you have a "plan" to go for more power, then consider buying a better CAI that works with a tuner.

#11 ·
I have a CAI already, I posted this more for information purposes. I agree that you will see less of a gain with the diameter of the tube being the same as stock. But if you think about it, allot of the non tune CAI's have the same diameter tube, or at least do at the MAF. Ultimately, you can only flow as much air as will pass thru the smallest part of the CAI, that would be where the MAF sensor connects on the non tune CAI's.

As far as race-mart, there just a seller, Specter is the manufacturer and has proven themselves in both racing and on the salt flats..... there called the "400 MPH company" for a reason ya know.... Im not saying it's better but it should be on par with the competition.... wont really know until someone buys one.

#12 ·
I don't know why you guys think the expensive ones are really worth the extra money. All of them are a simple tubing with a heat shield and cone adapter. Sure, some have different diameters, but it's not voodoo.

#13 ·
I've reported this before on other CAI threads: the 3.7 V6 does not improve itself with 99% of the CAI kits out there for sale. The stock airbox flows great.

If you go the way of a tuner, larger throttle body, and an exhaust setup, then the CAI kits MADE for a larger throttle body and tuner for the 3.7 V6 will improve performance 10 fold.

If you plan to buy a tuner and do exhaust improvements, hold off on buying a CAI until you buy the tuner at the very least.

#15 ·
Yep... I fallowed Sanguin's lead and built my own CAI as well using his advice. I have not gotten my main tube done yet because I have been working so much but I do have a Cone air filter with a MAF adaptor that works well with my tune. As soon as I figure out how to connect the rubber hoses I will be good to go. and yea, i think im only at like $70 total for what i have now.

#21 ·
I'm takeing a saw to that thing when I get back home... Been traveling on business for 2 weeks solid, my girl friend keeps calling me asking why packages are being delivered...... I have spent every penny of my travel perdeum on parts. I can't even remember what all I bought. And I schedualed a dyno session and talked to AM about looking at the results and firming shift points even more.... Got to love those guys

Gunna be a good day tater

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.