Comparing the Drive Shafts - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Interestingly I received the new MyFord Magazine today. On the cover is a 2013 Shelby GT500 and it says 2013 Shelby GT500 masters the autobahn. Inside on one of the pages of the article is a section that says Fast Facts 2013 Mustang. Then it goes on to say Each Breed of this Iconic Speedster is Built to Perform. Below that along with stats for each it list the V6, GT, Boss 302 and Shelby. No mention here or in the article of speed limiters or driveshaft issues. Just built to perform. Intentional misleading advertising? Or the car can handle the power?
Absolutely, Ford and the 11 plus sixer has always been advertised and given the perception from Ford of being a serious performance type vehicle with lots of power.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Well we all complain about d-shafts.

But you have to remember, they can handle what ford LIMITED them too.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I don't really care what Ford thinks the car is and all that junk. I'm just wanting to know what it can actually do.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I don't really care what Ford thinks the car is and all that junk. I'm just wanting to know what it can actually do.
It can actually do 113 mph.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, we know it can do more.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Over 113mph is not what's breaking shafts, it's the torque. I don't plan on going much over that but I'm getting 3.73 gears later this week and this is now a real concern of mine... I'm going to ask the guys at steeda if they could pull out a stock v6 and GT shaft while I'm there. That's assuming they have both laying around... Worth a shot.

Would really like to know it I'm safe or not. Last thing I need is my car to be damaged.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Bring a measuring tape and take photos!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Over 113mph is not what's breaking shafts, it's the torque. I don't plan on going much over that but I'm getting 3.73 gears later this week and this is now a real concern of mine... I'm going to ask the guys at steeda if they could pull out a stock v6 and GT shaft while I'm there. That's assuming they have both laying around... Worth a shot.

Would really like to know it I'm safe or not. Last thing I need is my car to be damaged.
Since when is the stock 280 torque so much that it breaks a driveshaft. Even with a performance tuner your not increasing the torque to 100 plus extra torque. I'm sure the driveshaft on the v6 can handle the extra torque numbers the tuner is adding on.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ya dont forget the tape measure! Also ask them if they know of any conversions done where someone swapped them etc. Pick thier brains.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What does getting 3:73 gears have to due with you now being concerned about the driveshaft breaking at high speeds?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

3.73 means the driveshaft is turning faster for a given speed. I posted it in another thread calculations I did, but at certain speeds, the 3.73 was turning about 2k more rpms more than a 2.73.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3.73 means the driveshaft is turning faster for a given speed. I posted it in another thread calculations I did, but at certain speeds, the 3.73 was turning about 2k more rpms more than a 2.73.
But no actual torque is being increased with higher gears. Your just going through the power band quicker but not actually increasing torque numbers.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

But you are spinning the driveshaft faster which puts more stress on it...

Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Hell! I've done more!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

My car hasn't been tuned and it's a 2012 v6 but I've gotten her up to 130
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
My car hasn't been tuned and it's a 2012 v6 but I've gotten her up to 130
No you haven't. not without a tune. limiter is set to around 115. If you hit 130 your speedometer or computer is screwed up my friend.

And I'll be sure to bring a tape measure and take lots of pics. thats assuming they have both laying around.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

But no actual torque is being increased with higher gears. Your just going through the power band quicker but not actually increasing torque numbers.
I have read that increasing gear sizes will lower hp and increase torque. Just the way it all works, supposedly. Not by much, but measurable on a dyno.

Don't know for fact or from personal experience.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I have read that increasing gear sizes will lower hp and increase torque. Just the way it all works, supposedly. Not by much, but measurable on a dyno.

I'll ask the steeda guys while I am out there. they will know for sure..... they did ask if I had a one piece drive shaft but didnt elaborate. Also asked if I had an SCT tuner, which I do but Im having Bama write my tunes...... getting plenty of use out of those free tunes for life lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No you haven't. not without a tune. limiter is set to around 115. If you hit 130 your speedometer or computer is screwed up my friend.

And I'll be sure to bring a tape measure and take lots of pics. thats assuming they have both laying around.
I've ne'er tuned it. Not sure if the last owner did. And it was on stock tires at the time. I don't think my speedo is messed up. Cuz I've gone through those radar traps that show your speed and its exact to what the cars says
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, 145 just don't try it with a camcorder in one hand.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
I've ne'er tuned it. Not sure if the last owner did. And it was on stock tires at the time. I don't think my speedo is messed up. Cuz I've gone through those radar traps that show your speed and its exact to what the cars says
Previous owner had it removed then, thats the only logical explanation. Have you found any other mods? people rarely stop at a tune
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Previous owner had it removed then, thats the only logical explanation. Have you found any other mods? people rarely stop at a tune
When I got it she had the rear window louver and the quarter window scoops and some funky ford digital shift knob. Flowmaster exhaust and a air raid cold air intake. Is there a way to find out if its already been tuned?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

It should actually raise the HP and torque both to the wheels, although it does nothing for actual flywheel HP.
Ever notice that the people that have higher HP and Torque numbers with a stock motor and drive train have 3.31's and not the 2.73's gears. Only a few numbers up, but gears do change the numbers to the ground.
The problem with the 2 piece stock drive shaft is on paper it is built to withstand, but in theory the actual material it is made with is its own undoing. When spinning all things give off some type of Harmonics, certain frequencies are actually weaken things and the with the length and diameter of the V6 drive shaft it reaches that somewhere about 135 MPH. That is not saying that all of them are going to fail though, but like a motor that has a red line or 7000 rpm, running it at 8000 is going to shorten its life or have a major malfunction.
A shorter tube as with the GT drive shaft changes the Harmonics allowing it to spin faster, the only thing wrong with the GT shaft is weight and a couple of extra parts to wear out. Oh and the fact it is to short to go into a V6.
All the Drive Shaft failures that I have seen or read about were all on automatic cars, 2 were on the dyno and both let loose right when the took their foot of the throttle and one of the others was the video of the guy doing 135 mph.
And a little clarification, all drive shafts that are on a car with a moving rear end (Even my 93 Thunderbird with the IRS had a spline on it) have a 2 piece drive shaft, it still needs to get longer and shorter with suspension movement.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

I just hope I dont snap this thing before I get an aluminum one in there. I dont drive much over 80 or 85 and thats only on road trips. I wont be going to the strip either till I get my aluminum one in so I really hope I will be ok...... i feel a loss of sleep coming already lol
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I just hope I dont snap this thing before I get an aluminum one in there. I dont drive much over 80 or 85 and thats only on road trips. I wont be going to the strip either till I get my aluminum one in so I really hope I will be ok...... i feel a loss of sleep coming already lol
Bama leaves the limiter at 125 unless you have an aftermarket drive shaft, but if you are running 3.73 or 4.10 gears even that might be pushing the limits of the stock unit.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

I think he means ford decided 113mph and built the car for nothing more. take off that limiter and all bets are out the window. any number of things could go wrong from the drive shaft to the tires(neither of which are rated for speeds that high) it's just a bad idea in general

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

stupid mobile app D: I was like 2 pages back in the convo haha
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
I think he means ford decided 113mph and built the car for nothing more. take off that limiter and all bets are out the window. any number of things could go wrong from the drive shaft to the tires(neither of which are rated for speeds that high) it's just a bad idea in general

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

stupid mobile app D: I was like 2 pages back in the convo haha
No Ford did not build the car for nothing more. Just because someone blows a tire at 80 mph doesn't mean we have bad tires.
2 DS failures does not mean all DS will fail. Tires are rated by law. DS,s are not rated.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No Ford did not build the car for nothing more. Just because someone blows a tire at 80 mph doesn't mean we have bad tires.
2 DS failures does not mean all DS will fail. Tires are rated by law. DS,s are not rated.
2 failures out of Tens of thousands 11, 12 and 13 V6 stangs and the verdict is because Ford uses a weaker driveshaft. What engineer from the Ford Motor Company provided that statement about the drive shaft? Who came up with the conclusion that the v6 drive shaft is much weaker than the GT drive shaft and cannot handle high speeds?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #99
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Interestingly I received the new MyFord Magazine today. On the cover is a 2013 Shelby GT500 and it says 2013 Shelby GT500 masters the autobahn. Inside on one of the pages of the article is a section that says Fast Facts 2013 Mustang. Then it goes on to say Each Breed of this Iconic Speedster is Built to Perform. Below that along with stats for each it list the V6, GT, Boss 302 and Shelby. No mention here or in the article of speed limiters or driveshaft issues. Just built to perform. Intentional misleading advertising? Or the car can handle the power?
I believe 2013 was the first year that Ford is putting the Mustang out as an export, so it would have to qualify to run on the autoban and other higher speed European roads. Hense the reason for this articles information. Prior to 2013, the Mustang was not listed as a true export.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I believe 2013 was the first year that Ford is putting the Mustang out as an export, so it would have to qualify to run on the autoban and other higher speed European roads. Hense the reason for this articles information. Prior to 2013, the Mustang was not listed as a true export.
Yep except its rhe same driveshaft on the 13 as on my 12 from all pictures that have been posted by 13 owners and Ford techs at swrvice depts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #101
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Yep except its rhe same driveshaft on the 13 as on my 12 from all pictures that have been posted by 13 owners and Ford techs at swrvice depts.
I doubt it on the "export" models. They require different color tail light lenses, side markers, different inner door reinforcement, and perhaps this once piece driveshaft if it is required to maintain higher speeds. If you're in the military and are bringing a vehicle over, you are exempt from these export requirements in most European countries.

I remember this because I had a heck of a time trying to bring back (to the states) a late 2001 BMW I had bought while working in Germany. In order to get it registered in the states, I would have had to bring it to U.S. specs. I finally gave up and sold it in Germany, as it was not going to be worth it (cost for parts, and inspections). There is a certain year that becomes preempt from having to do this, as I also brought back an old 1984 VW Westfalia (camper). It did not have to go through all the U.S. specs to bring it in.

The same goes for cars being exported to Germany. They have to have certain specs that we don't have.

I'm thinking the Mustangs bound for Europe will be built slightly different, which may include this single driveshaft (if it's required to hold higher speeds).

So, perhaps there will be a special part number for "export" driveshafts for Mustangs. Only time will tell, and a parts guy at a Ford dealership willing to try and look it up for you.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed but my point relates to the article, it was a 2013 shipped from the States to GermNy. Same tail lights, side markers etc. And it clearly says Each Breed of This Iconic Speedster is Built to Perform. I know someone who retired from design at Ford. If Im lucky I might get some answers. What would you all like to know regarding this matter? Its worth a try.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Correct. It takes HP to turn the steeper gear.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know what it takes to swap out a drive shaft?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012
Agreed but my point relates to the article, it was a 2013 shipped from the States to GermNy. Same tail lights, side markers etc. And it clearly says Each Breed of This Iconic Speedster is Built to Perform. I know someone who retired from design at Ford. If Im lucky I might get some answers. What would you all like to know regarding this matter? Its worth a try.
I want to know why we are still banging on about this lol
An advert is just that. An advert.
I remember a SAAB commercial where one flies off of a cliff. Hope no one looked too far into that. And lets not forget that 300 hp performs. Being built to perform can mean anything. Is not like the advert said "All models go to 160! "

When the v6 goes to 160+, but is governed to 113.
And the GT500 convertible goes to 200+, but is governed to 155.

And most German cars are governed to 150, regardless of "quality of driveshaft" or whatever else.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang