Comparing the Drive Shafts - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
300hp performs! You can pass cars going 45mph super fast to the 55mph speed limit!

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
300hp performs! You can pass cars going 45mph super fast to the 55mph speed limit!
I don't know about you, but I go 80 all the time on the highway. Texas is awesome in that regard.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
And I'm sure you go exactly 55 MPH. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Can we all agree It's probably better to be on the safe side should a person want to travel in excess speeds of 130 plus, then get the one piece aluminum driveshaft and of course proper speed rated tires. Spend the extra 650 for the piece of mind of having a stronger driveshaft that can handle more HP and torgue.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Pfft, I'm living life dangerously. Besides, I'm curious and that's why I'm here.

I'm always going the speed limit too. Just cause I'm passing you must mean you're going less than it, despite what your speedo says.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Pfft, I'm living life dangerously. Besides, I'm curious and that's why I'm here.

I'm always going the speed limit too. Just cause I'm passing you must mean you're going less than it, despite what your speedo says.
Lol
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #112
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Can we all agree It's probably better to be on the safe side should a person want to travel in excess speeds of 130 plus, then get the one piece aluminum driveshaft and of course proper speed rated tires. Spend the extra 650 for the piece of mind of having a stronger driveshaft that can handle more HP and torgue.
Just as long as "a person" that wants to travel in excess of 130 does not do it on the public roads that myself and lots of other people have to share with he/she.

The folks in Germany that drive in access of these speeds are much more educated in driving than us. It takes about 6 months of driving classes, which costs around $2000.00 Euros to complete. Then they have to pass a couple of actual driving exams; city, then highway. If you break any serious driving laws there, your liciense is suspended or revoked. Getting it back will cost you a bunch more.

Too many stupid drivers here in the U.S. to consider having them drive at speeds of 130 MPH without any proper driving education.

Get the driveshaft; drive on the track with it. Most tracks require special driving schools before they let you out on their track. Why should the public roads be your oyster for driving at such speeds?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Just as long as "a person" that wants to travel in excess of 130 does not do it on the public roads that myself and lots of other people have to share with he/she.

The folks in Germany that drive in access of these speeds are much more educated in driving than us. It takes about 6 months of driving classes, which costs around $2000.00 Euros to complete. Then they have to pass a couple of actual driving exams; city, then highway. If you break any serious driving laws there, your liciense is suspended or revoked. Getting it back will cost you a bunch more.

Too many stupid drivers here in the U.S. to consider having them drive at speeds of 130 MPH without any proper driving education.

Get the driveshaft; drive on the track with it. Most tracks require special driving schools before they let you out on their track. Why should the public roads be your oyster for driving at such speeds?
Yeah, I can only imagine the skill level a driver must have to operate in a straight line such as traveling on the autobahn doing 100 plus miles per hour. They must be highly skilled drivers to operate at that speed.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yeah, I can only imagine the skill level a driver must have to operate in a straight line such as traveling on the autobahn doing 100 plus miles per hour. They must be highly skilled drivers to operate at that speed.
There's no way you could fill a highway, like the autobahn, here in north America with the average daily driver! At least 25% of drivers can't handle everyday driving on regular roads! There are people I know that like to drive fast that have absolutely no depth perception......imagine at a 100 mph plus! Think about it. It would never work that's why we don't have one. And if we ever get one you should have pass a coarse to be able to drive on it!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #115
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Check this out:
Texas highway with nation's fastest speed limit records first fatal crash
By NBC News staff

The central Texas road with the nation's fastest speed limit at 85 mph has recorded its first fatal accident, on the same day that it began charging drivers.

The driver of a Honda Civic died after it collided with a Chevy Tahoe in the southbound lanes of state Highway 130 around 1:45 p.m. Sunday. The victim, Martha Melinda Harris, 60, of Lockhart, Texas, had just entered the toll road from the ramp, Mustang Ridge Police told NBC News.

The driver and the passenger in the Chevy Tahoe suffered minor injuries, KXAN.com reported.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident and did not say how fast the cars were traveling.

Wild hogs, however, were not a factor in the crash, police said. Four crashes between vehicles and hogs took place during the first night the toll road opened.

Tolls had been waived for the 41-mile final leg of the roadway, which connects the Austin and San Antonio areas, so drivers could try it out after it opened Oct. 24.

But on Sunday, the SH 130 Concession Co., which developed and manages the toll road through a contract with the Texas Transportation Commission, began charging on the new section.

Tolls for the full stretch of road range from $6.17 for motorists with state electronic toll tags to $8.21 for those without, The Associated Press said.

MrMike is sure right on this subject. Most people really do not pay attention to their drivig. They are drinking, eating, texting, playing with the GPS,putting on makeup, reading the paper or a book or the newest thing is to have your I-Pad on the steering wheel while doing whatever is more important then your driving.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Im at steeda now having my 3.73 gears installed. Was talking about the GT shaft in the v6 and there assessment of this was that due to the longer 5.0 block the drive shaft is shorter (obviously). Because of this there is no safe way to adapt the 5.0 drive shaft to fit onto the 3.7 drive line. They also recommended that if I were going to put a new drive shaft in it should be an aluminum one such as we see online. That would erase any question of failure to it's rated maximum.

He also said I was fine with the stock shaft for normal driving on 3.73 gears but would recommend an aluminum one before going to the strip again just to be safe.

all sounds like good advise that is backed up by what we have found. Hope this helps clear some things up.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting.

Most RWD vehicles that have both a V8 and V6, use identical running gear because the transmission mounts in the same area, they just slide the V6 back further leaving more room at the front of the engine bay.

This would suggest that Ford, for some reason, didn't shift the V6 motor back and lets it and the transmission sit further forward than the V8 model. Does this mean we have out own shifter arm assembly unique to the V6? I'd love to have a garage with a lift and 5.0 for a day.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

They grow up so fast......

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Check this out:
Texas highway with nation's fastest speed limit records first fatal crash
By NBC News staff

The central Texas road with the nation's fastest speed limit at 85 mph has recorded its first fatal accident, on the same day that it began charging drivers.

The driver of a Honda Civic died after it collided with a Chevy Tahoe in the southbound lanes of state Highway 130 around 1:45 p.m. Sunday. The victim, Martha Melinda Harris, 60, of Lockhart, Texas, had just entered the toll road from the ramp, Mustang Ridge Police told NBC News.

The driver and the passenger in the Chevy Tahoe suffered minor injuries, KXAN.com reported.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident and did not say how fast the cars were traveling.

Wild hogs, however, were not a factor in the crash, police said. Four crashes between vehicles and hogs took place during the first night the toll road opened.

Tolls had been waived for the 41-mile final leg of the roadway, which connects the Austin and San Antonio areas, so drivers could try it out after it opened Oct. 24.

But on Sunday, the SH 130 Concession Co., which developed and manages the toll road through a contract with the Texas Transportation Commission, began charging on the new section.

Tolls for the full stretch of road range from $6.17 for motorists with state electronic toll tags to $8.21 for those without, The Associated Press said.

MrMike is sure right on this subject. Most people really do not pay attention to their drivig. They are drinking, eating, texting, playing with the GPS,putting on makeup, reading the paper or a book or the newest thing is to have your I-Pad on the steering wheel while doing whatever is more important then your driving.
Ronnie
So the combination of them making it a toll road and a 60 year old woman caused an accident. Yes, people that old shouldn't be driving that fast. I agree that most USA drivers couldn't handle autobaun speed limits. If they took a course maybe. The problem is people who drive in the left lane slower than the person behind them. It's not complicated. If you're driving slower get over. Otherwise you have to pass them on the right lane which is dangerous. They don't teach kids this nowadays.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

No one gets in the right lane anymore. I try to when I can, but tons of people just ride middle or left for no reason.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2theJ2theC View Post

Yes, people that old shouldn't be driving that fast..
Bite me. lol
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's so annoying. People don't understand simple road rules. Or they just don't care.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Ill sit behind some fool in the left lane for 5 miles until I cant take it anymore and pass them on the right at about 5K RPM so they hear me and about half the time I see, in the rear view, they then move to the right lane. WTF? Do you ever look in your rear view or have any clue what the PASSING LANE is for? 90% of people on the road are clueless.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

I think allot of people just forget the "slower traffic move over" rule. It's not posted all that much in more populated areas. I know you see it out on the "open road". It's one of those things that we would like to be common sense.... too bad common sense is not so common
Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I think allot of people just forget the "slower traffic move over" rule. It's not posted all that much in more populated areas. I know you see it out on the "open road". It's one of those things that we would like to be common sense.... too bad common sense is not so common
Lol. Very true!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #126
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
The left lane is to pass, and not to use as a "driving" lane. Once you pass, you are supposed to move back to the center or right lane. This by far has to be the most abused highway driving rule, forcing folks to pass wildly in the right and center lanes, cutting between cars to perform this.

Rules that are ignored such as this are why we could never have autoban type speeds in the states, unless they became heavily inforced.
That won't happen though, not enough police force to do it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
The left lane is to pass, and not to use as a "driving" lane. Once you pass, you are supposed to move back to the center or right lane. This by far has to be the most abused highway driving rule, forcing folks to pass wildly in the right and center lanes, cutting between cars to perform this.

Rules that are ignored such as this are why we could never have autoban type speeds in the states, unless they became heavily inforced.
That won't happen though, not enough police force to do it.
I am not saying I disagree, but most of the autobahn is restricted, now.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang