Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best gears for my '13?

3K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Oh2freshstang 
#1 ·
What are the best gears to get for my '13 v6

And can you link me to the part on Americanmuscle.com

#3 ·
Ramon2013,

Is your '13 v6 a manual or auto? I would probably go with 3.73 gears for either transmission, but 4.10's are another option if you have an auto. Again, I think 3.73's will suit you the best, especially if it's your daily driver.

Do you have a custom tuner to recalibrate your speedo? You're going to need one or go to a Ford dealership to have them adjust the speedometer for the new gear ratio.

Shane

#4 ·
What are your driving habits? Meaning, do you drive mainly city or highway commutes?

If your driving has you mostly in the city, then you're most likely interested in quicker hops; a taller gear like a 3:73 or 4:10 is what you'd be after.

Highway commutes? Then a 3:31 or 3:73 would be what your after. I'm guessing MPG is not your concern, as the taller gearing is going to toss that aside.

I do plenty of highway driving. I kept the 3:31 in mine, and can get 28 MPG on the highway, and the V6 and its gearing gives me plenty of pep when I want it.

#10 ·
I vote 3.55:1, especially if he wants a turbo later on. They are coming!

#14 ·
MrMike said:
Ford will recallibrate your speedo for 3.73 gears?
sprdave said:
No,Ford can only calibrate for a 3.31 gears set I believe.In order to recalibrate
your speedo for a new gear set you would need a computer tuner and tune.
Your speedo can recalibrate you for anything. Its just math by the computer. I would just get a gauge and use that. I never use my stock gauges anymore.

#16 ·
Yes,if you put in higher gears, your odometer will show more miles put
on than you have actually driven.I just recently put 3.55 gears in and I
have not yet got a tuner to fix this.I don't put alot of miles on during the
week so its not a priority.When summer gets here,I will be putting a big order
in and getting a tuner from AM. Shipping to Canada is a killer.

#17 ·
Yes,if you put in higher gears, your odometer will show more miles put
on than you have actually driven.I just recently put 3.55 gears in and I
have not yet got a tuner to fix this.I don't put alot of miles on during the
week so its not a priority.When summer gets here,I will be putting a big order
in and getting a tuner from AM. Shipping to Canada is a killer.
I ordered a spoiler and roush axel backs Wednesday night from AM and they already cleared customs and en route to montreal. Eta Tuesday.

#25 ·
For a DD 3.73 is probably the tallest gear you would want to run. Im an auto as well, should be having my gears installed by steeda by end of month if things go as planned. im going 3.73, between gears, my tune, exhaust and intake I should be laying some good rubber

#28 ·
alrefire said:
When I do change from my highway gears I'm going to get 3.55s
From what I've been told that, or 3.31s are beat for a turbo setup
I don't know much about gears other than rotation change, what makes the 3.31s best for turbo? Or is it just opinion?

#33 ·
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my 3.73's. will be driving down to Steeda here in Florida on the first to have everything done. I'm thinking I should leave the big check book at home or god knows what else I will buy. The guys have been real nice and were able to squeeze me in last second. Not only did they have the best price around (I only looked at reputable speed shops) but we all know that if anyone can install gears properly it is the guys at Steeda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.