Mustang Evolution Forum banner

paint on wheels

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bonnie12V6 
#1 ·
So I have a 2012 pony pkg v6 with the 18" chrome wheels. I asked a local body shop and they said the color is so hard to grip on a chrome wheel...is that true? has anyone paint on a chrome wheel before? thanks

#4 ·
get a high grit sandpaper, and start to go hard on the chrome. then get a lower grit sand paper, and you want to sand it to where it's not so chrome looking, then put a coats in the following order:
primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, paint, paint, paint, clear, clear, clear

#5 ·
You would have to badly scar the chrome, so if you were to go ahead and do it there's no going back. As stated, you would need to scuff the chrome with a ruff grit. I could see starting at 220 and if the chrome is scuffing up good work your way up from there, if not drop down to 80 and work your way up to at least 400. Use a self etching primer to get a good binding to the paint. Use a filler primer if you have some scarring to fill that in. Follow up with 600, and a 1000 if you want a super smooth base surface. I would clear the paint too. It adds a nice shine and a added protection. Should cost under $50

#8 ·
oh poo......just plasti dip em like the rest of us.....you ever want the chrome back...easy fix. and many colors available!

#10 ·
I don't get the plast dip trend. I may get heckled for it but in most cases I don't see the point. If your using plasti dip because its not permanent, but the job your doing is to last, like wheels, why not make it last. You paint them black and don't like it, just paint them silver again. I may be very wrong too, but the plast dip jobs I've seen look good, but never amazing. Paint to me can get the texture and shine that pops. There's powder coating and anodizing, but in the cheap realm I think paint is the way to go.

#11 ·
That's just it. Plastidip is for a satin/matte finish. It allows people to do extreme modifications without the risk of not liking the results. It's cheap and while it might not hold up over a long period, it's easily repaired.

A quality paint job is expensive, on wheels especially. I'd rather preserve my stock finish, which is high quality, than cover it up with something not as good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.