Is CAI worth it? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do you think the bbk 73mm tb will fit the Steeda? Or even worth it?
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #37
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd suggest a search on CAI to locate the half dozen or more threads in the past month that have been started here. This is a very popular topic on this site, and gets brought up at least once a week. I think folks are getting tired of answering the same questions.

Moderators, how about a CAI sticky?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, go with Airraid and a bama sct performance tuner. You will love the combo. Or go with BBK cai but either choice make sure you get a performance tuner.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP, go with Airraid and a bama sct performance tuner. You will love the combo. Or go with BBK cai but either choice make sure you get a performance tuner.
If you're going to get a tune with it, get something that requires a tune
AFE or steeda
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
+1
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like a kid because my STEEDA CAI is waiting for me to pick it up at my local fed ex. I have gears (3.73) arriving on the 11th along with a tuner. its like Christmas (yeah I say Merry Christmas still) all over again.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
I feel like a kid because my STEEDA CAI is waiting for me to pick it up at my local fed ex. I have gears (3.73) arriving on the 11th along with a tuner. its like Christmas (yeah I say Merry Christmas still) all over again.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------
I'm jelly of your excitement :p
Te steeda intake makes a very nice sound and looks ridiculously huge :p
On a cold day, start up the engine, and open your hood. You'll be like "WTF! Is that normal?!?!?"
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

I'm jelly of your excitement :p
Te steeda intake makes a very nice sound and looks ridiculously huge :p
On a cold day, start up the engine, and open your hood. You'll be like "WTF! Is that normal?!?!?"
Lol. I will have to do that. When I got the box I opened it at the fed ex store because it looked kind of small, I had a k&n on my previous mustang, and I was nervous I didn't get everything. But when I looked inside I saw that huge filter and order was restored. When I get all my parts in I'm going to post a video.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

This is for all they people keeping up on this thread. My Gears came in yesterday and I was setting up an appointment to get them installed by a reputable auto shop. As I was speaking to the man he told me the gears will whine so it is best for me to know that now. He then went on to say how they were sued at one time and lost because of the gear whine issue. That made me lose confidence in the shop but am I just being paranoid about this? Will the gears whine so much I will regret having them installed?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is for all they people keeping up on this thread. My Gears came in yesterday and I was setting up an appointment to get them installed by a reputable auto shop. As I was speaking to the man he told me the gears will whine so it is best for me to know that now. He then went on to say how they were sued at one time and lost because of the gear whine issue. That made me lose confidence in the shop but am I just being paranoid about this? Will the gears whine so much I will regret having them installed?
If you get it done right there should be no difference just talk to different shops and see what they say. Try a truck performance place because they switch gears the most out of any other shop
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

NO-NO -NO

Don't even think of using this shop. Those gears are never going to make any noise at all when installed properly and the correct fluid is used.

Adamp1 said::
Quote:
What part of We were sued one time and "LOST" do you not understand????

If it was Me I would just go to my Ford Dealer and have them installed. At least they would be done properly even if it did cost a little more.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
!!!!!!! STOP !!!!!!

Properly installed gears WILL NOT whine... go to a different shop. If your gears whine the shims need to be adjusted or they didnt replace bearings that should have been replaced. He told you that they will whine because he's too lazy to open up the rear end again and redo the work he did incorrectly..... they got sued and lost for a reason and the reason is they did a half *** job and weren't willing to stang behind there work and fix the issue...... RUN AWAY AND DONT LOOK BACK!

Steeda installed my 3.73 gears, they have been dead silent since day one.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

lol

Ronnie, you seem to put things into perspective. I guess I just want my toy now. I think I will talk to the dealer and see what they can do. I wanted to avoid them because they were just flat out rude when I talked to them about installing gears. But if they can get it done right then I'm all good.

The only time I heard about gear whine is when people were complaining about it but this shop tells me that is normal for the gears to whine and "that's the nature of the beast". I understand the nature of the beast but not if all the other beast don't have this problem.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't know why your dealer should be rude

That is what they are in business for. To do service work and install things for their customers. Go to another service adviser and if they are rude go to a different dealer and call the owner of the rude place and tell them their service advisers are not doing what he hired them to do.

The Mechanic will get paid a flat rate charge to do the install. I'm sure that the Mechanic will be happy to make his pay even if the service adviser will not get the huge commission they like by up selling people on stuff they don't need. I hate to say this but some service advisers are just stupid greedy idiots and all they care about is a fat paycheck and not customer service. This rude one is not happy because you bought the gears someplace else and he won't make a commission off of you.

There is no reason they should be rude to you for wanting to get a mechanic to work on your Mustang.

I don't mean to sound harsh but that is the way I feel about people that are getting paid and not doing their job.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie, you seem to put things into perspective. I guess I just want my toy now. I think I will talk to the dealer and see what they can do. I wanted to avoid them because they were just flat out rude when I talked to them about installing gears. But if they can get it done right then I'm all good.

The only time I heard about gear whine is when people were complaining about it but this shop tells me that is normal for the gears to whine and "that's the nature of the beast". I understand the nature of the beast but not if all the other beast don't have this problem.
yea, there full of it. there should be no whine from your gears and a good shop (like steeda) will tell you that if they do whine then bring it back and they will fix it. Dealers are going to be expensive, I think the book says it's a 5 hour job, mine took just under 4.

I would just keep looking around man. Maybe ask some friends or look for a shop with a dyno. If they have a dyno then they may be performance oriented and have experience doing gears.

Also, dont forget that new aluminum drive shaft before you get to wild with those gears.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Run from that shop!!!!.There clueless.I like you, wasn't sure where to get my gears installed but,I did some searching and found a local 4x4 shop that modifies jeeps.I figured he had lots of experience with gear swaps.It cost me a little more,but my 3.55s are exactly like stock,no whine or sound.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
Run from that shop!!!!.There clueless.I like you, wasn't sure where to get my gears installed but,I did some searching and found a local 4x4 shop that modifies jeeps.I figured he had lots of experience with gear swaps.It cost me a little more,but my 3.55s are exactly like stock,no whine or sound.
+1
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
yea, there full of it. there should be no whine from your gears and a good shop (like steeda) will tell you that if they do whine then bring it back and they will fix it. Dealers are going to be expensive, I think the book says it's a 5 hour job, mine took just under 4.

I would just keep looking around man. Maybe ask some friends or look for a shop with a dyno. If they have a dyno then they may be performance oriented and have experience doing gears.

Also, dont forget that new aluminum drive shaft before you get to wild with those gears.
I dont plan on getting too wild, I will keep it legal. I just want my Mustang to live up to the reputation. If I can get more power then so be it lol. Thanks for the info, Im going to check with the dealer today.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

So I found a guy who will install my gears and he even called the manufacturer to make sure the gears I ordered will not whine. The Install cost will be 450-500. Which is fine with me plus he does them all the time.

Note: I like Ford but some of their service adviser's are rude. I spoke with a person in service at the dealership next to where I work and they told me they can install my gears. They said they would like to get more info on my car and took down my info. Needless to say I never got a call back. I called them and they took down my info, again. No Call back. Im not talking about a day later Im talking about a week and a half. I call again and finally, without getting new info, they gave me a rough estimate $850 I just said thank you and hung up.

Ford, if you would like to stay afloat then I recommend you stop making the customer feel like they are being punished for wanting to give you business. 850 for what! a 5 hr (max) install!!!? I mean I am even providing the part. They just wanted a full days work for not wanting to install my gears.

Sorry for the rant but thats just disappointing.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I found a guy who will install my gears and he even called the manufacturer to make sure the gears I ordered will not whine. The Install cost will be 450-500. Which is fine with me plus he does them all the time.

Note: I like Ford but some of their service adviser's are rude. I spoke with a person in service at the dealership next to where I work and they told me they can install my gears. They said they would like to get more info on my car and took down my info. Needless to say I never got a call back. I called them and they took down my info, again. No Call back. Im not talking about a day later Im talking about a week and a half. I call again and finally, without getting new info, they gave me a rough estimate $850 I just said thank you and hung up.

Ford, if you would like to stay afloat then I recommend you stop making the customer feel like they are being punished for wanting to give you business. 850 for what! a 5 hr (max) install!!!? I mean I am even providing the part. They just wanted a full days work for not wanting to install my gears.

Sorry for the rant but thats just disappointing.
I called several ford dealerships, and one of them told me they wanted 1600 for everything
I literally laughed on the phone then hung up
BS on the dealers part
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.73 gears, Steeda cai, and tune is on my mustang and it is a different car. Wow! I have stock wheels and tires so my next change will be that but I am loving the extra power. Traction is good too. I'm going to take it out and have some fun but I recommend the 3.73s woohoo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2916678234.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	91724  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai