Which CAI Should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Which CAI Should I get?

Hi everyone, I just bought my first mod for my 2011 mustang v6. I got a 91 octane race tune by Bama. I'm ready to buy a CAI but not sure on which one to get. Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting the BBK blackout CAI at AmericanMuscle or the Steeda CAI.
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Do some searching man there have been DOZENS of these threads...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGTR169 View Post
Hi everyone, I just bought my first mod for my 2011 mustang v6. I got a 91 octane race tune by Bama. I'm ready to buy a CAI but not sure on which one to get. Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting the BBK blackout CAI at AmericanMuscle or the Steeda CAI.
Airraid bro. I too have a 11 v6. I'm running a 91 Hybrid tune by Bama.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got the BBK on mine but most of them will give u the same gains in HP and stuff.
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will not be disappointed in the Steeda CAI for the V6 ... you can do the searches ... but Ill save you the time ... the quality and finish are top notch. We are an ISO 9001-2008 company that is held to the highest standards. This means the end user will only get the highest of quality products.

We also engineer, produce, and manufacture our products right here in the U.S.A. by the American worker!

Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know if I can help provide forum pricing at tim@steeda.com or if I can provide you with any additional answers to your questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
BryanGTR169,

My personal favorite is the Airaid CAI, matched with a Bama custom tune. We've seen impressive gains with Airaid, plus it has a clean factory looking fit. Our 2011 v6 Project Car picked up as much as 22HP & 30TQ with the same setup!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I was also considering that one. I think I might get the Airaid CAI since its the one American Muscle decided to go with. How do you get a hybrid tune?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was also considering that one. I think I might get the Airaid CAI since its the one American Muscle decided to go with. How do you get a hybrid tune?
Call up AM and tell them you would like them to make you a Hybrid tune. Fill out the form they send you. They make the tune and email it back to you.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Call up AM and tell them you would like them to make you a Hybrid tune. Fill out the form they send you. They make the tune and email it back to you.
Thanks buddy. You've been a lot of help! on more question. I'm kind of new to all this, but what would you recommend? A hybrid tune or my 91 octane race tune? Is there a big difference in both?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks buddy. You've been a lot of help! on more question. I'm kind of new to all this, but what would you recommend? A hybrid tune or my 91 octane race tune? Is there a big difference in both?
Prior to my 91 Hybrid tune I was running a 91 performance. I had a 91 race tune that I got rid of for the Hybrid tune. I was not a big fan of the race tune but that's just my own opinion. The street tune had good low end torque but not much mid to high range power. The Hybrid is freaking awesome. It combines the street and race tune together that gives you full power down low, mid and high range. Great off the line torque power. Great mid 3,000 to 4,000 rpm power and great high end power. By far the best tune AM has created. Not best if your looking to get maximum mpg's but best performance tune. You will be hooked and AM makes it so darn easy for ya.

I just can't wait to drop in 3:55 gears to really maximize that torque and HP the car is already producing and lay into its power band quicker.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Prior to my 91 Hybrid tune I was running a 91 performance. I had a 91 race tune that I got rid of for the Hybrid tune. I was not a big fan of the race tune but that's just my own opinion. The street tune had good low end torque but not much mid to high range power. The Hybrid is freaking awesome. It combines the street and race tune together that gives you full power down low, mid and high range. Great off the line torque power. Great mid 3,000 to 4,000 rpm power and great high end power. By far the best tune AM has created. Not best if your looking to get maximum mpg's but best performance tune. You will be hooked and AM makes it so darn easy for ya.

I just can't wait to drop in 3:55 gears to really maximize that torque and HP the car is already producing and lay into its power band quicker.
Wow. If you say it's that great I want it! Lol seems amazing! I'm still impatiently waiting for my tuner to get here. It should be here by Friday morning. Can't wait to upload it and try out the race tune for a few days. Then I'll most likely order the hybrid tune. By the way, is this tune safe?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow. If you say it's that great I want it! Lol seems amazing! I'm still impatiently waiting for my tuner to get here. It should be here by Friday morning. Can't wait to upload it and try out the race tune for a few days. Then I'll most likely order the hybrid tune. By the way, is this tune safe?
All the tunes are safe, bro. You won't regret.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Im with AMDan on this. I have the airaid and bama tune. Best two mods you can get in my opinion. Youll be very happy.

Also get a hybrid tune, the race is not suggested for daily driving. I tried it for a week and went to the hybrid 93.
tthompson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
All of our Bama tunes are safe to use. We only don't recommend using the Race or Hybrid tune all of the time because fuel efficiency isn't a top priority for these tunes. The tunes are designed to safely get max performance out of your engine with a incredible throttle response. However, the Street and Performance tune DO have fuel efficiency in mind and are the only tunes we provide that are able to pass emissions (if your state requires testing).

FYI, you can run the Hybrid or Race tune year round and then switch to the Street tune for emissions testing. Just make sure you run 100miles with the Street tune uploaded, before getting the car emissions tested!

Bottom line, the best part about being enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program is that you have access to all of these tunes. You can get them in any octane level 93 or lower, too. Just send in a request to the Bama team and they'll be happy to send you which tune you're most interested in!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

All of our Bama tunes are safe to use. We only don't recommend using the Race or Hybrid tune all of the time because fuel efficiency isn't a top priority for these tunes. The tunes are designed to safely get max performance out of your engine with a incredible throttle response. However, the Street and Performance tune DO have fuel efficiency in mind and are the only tunes we provide that are able to pass emissions (if your state requires testing).

FYI, you can run the Hybrid or Race tune year round and then switch to the Street tune for emissions testing. Just make sure you run 100miles with the Street tune uploaded, before getting the car emissions tested!

Bottom line, the best part about being enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program is that you have access to all of these tunes. You can get them in any octane level 93 or lower, too. Just send in a request to the Bama team and they'll be happy to send you which tune you're most interested in!

Shane
How can a tune affect emmisions?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthompson79 View Post
Im with AMDan on this. I have the airaid and bama tune. Best two mods you can get in my opinion. Youll be very happy.

Also get a hybrid tune, the race is not suggested for daily driving. I tried it for a week and went to the hybrid 93.
Yeah thanks bud! I just placed an order on the araid CAI. I can't wait for it to arrive and get it installed.

Thank you all for your quick replies! You all were a lot of help!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

Shane
Thank you Shane for your help. I live in California and the fact that you informed me to run at least 100 miles on a street tune before having my car tested was a lot of help. Sure will be keeping me away from a fail!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
How can a tune affect emmisions?
NicholasP,

Some Race tunes will run on the right side and the factory catalytic converts won't be able to keep up with their job. This will cause the rear O2 sensors to throw an emissions code (aka check engine light). Since check engine lights are awful to look at, most Race tunes will turn the rear O2 sensors off so they can't report a faulty signal. This is fine and won't hurt anything on the car. However, if a emissions tester is plugged into the OBDII port with a Race tune uploaded, it will recognize there is not a proper signal coming from the rear O2 sensors anymore. Thus, you will fail the emissions testing.

Both our Street and Performance tunes are very fuel efficient and keep the rear O2 sensors active. So, you will not have any issues passing emissions with one of the two. This is assuming they've been running long enough to log proper memory and feedback for the emissions testing. Hence, I suggested driving 100miles before getting tested.

Shane

Quote:
Thank you Shane for your help. I live in California and the fact that you informed me to run at least 100 miles on a street tune before having my car tested was a lot of help. Sure will be keeping me away from a fail!
I'm glad I could help you out Bryan! Shoot me a PM if you have anymore questions.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
My opinion get the one that give the most performance. Looks don't mean much unless your going to show your car. How often do you lift the hood for others to see the engine compartment?
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hello Shane,

I just bought a 3.73 gear combo from AM for my 2012 v6 automatic. I also bought a Steeda cai but looking to get someone to install those gears might be an issue. So can I tune my cai, which requires a tune and then get a tune later when the gears are installed. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

My opinion get the one that give the most performance. Looks don't mean much unless your going to show your car. How often do you lift the hood for others to see the engine compartment?
Yeah, you have a great point. I liked the BBK blackout CAI cause it looks great. But going with Steeda is most likely the best choice. I'd rather get the best performance than looks. Like you said, I'm not going to be showing everyone what's underneath my hood.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
Hello Shane,

I just bought a 3.73 gear combo from AM for my 2012 v6 automatic. I also bought a Steeda cai but looking to get someone to install those gears might be an issue. So can I tune my cai, which requires a tune and then get a tune later when the gears are installed. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Adamp1,

Of course! Just make sure Bama knows they aren't adjusting the speedo for the gears yet and they'll set you up. Once you get an appointment to have the gears installed, give Bama a call at the same time and ask for new tunes with the speedo adjusted. When you pick the car up from the shop who did the gears, upload the new tune and enjoy!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Shane. I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

+1 and it makes a sweet sound when you gas it
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai