do you NEED to return to stock before loading new tunes on tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
do you NEED to return to stock before loading new tunes on tuner?

Bama always tells you to return your car to stock before uploading new tunes onto your tuner. Is this just in case something happens to your tuner? that way your car is at least set to stock... or does the tuner know what the last tune loaded was and needs to be set to the stock setting? just curious, I fallow bama's directions pretty much exactly but I dont want to load my stock tune on my car just to put another tune on the tuner that I wont use until I get on the dyno anyhow.... AM staff, what say you?
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Bama always tells you to return your car to stock before uploading new tunes onto your tuner. Is this just in case something happens to your tuner? that way your car is at least set to stock... or does the tuner know what the last tune loaded was and needs to be set to the stock setting? just curious, I fallow bama's directions pretty much exactly but I dont want to load my stock tune on my car just to put another tune on the tuner that I wont use until I get on the dyno anyhow.... AM staff, what say you?
Prior to loading your new tunes from AM you need to return your car back to its stock mode. Once that's done, connect your performance tuner into the computer, check for updates and after load your tunes onto the tuner. Then upload your new desired tune back into your awesome pony
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know how to do it, just wondering if returning to stock is really necessary... I guess I'll just keep doing what Bama says and stay safe
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I mean, I would keep returning it to stock because the tuner could crash and you could possibly loose your stock file somehow? I dunno, just my .02 lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I know how to do it, just wondering if returning to stock is really necessary... I guess I'll just keep doing what Bama says and stay safe
I would assume it is necessary being that AM says it needs to be done in order to make sure the transfer is completed properly.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well, some tuners do partial writes and only modify things needed. If you don't return to stock and the tune you're overwriting modified something the new tune doesn't touch, it may combine them and create issues.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing you need to return the car to stock because before the tuner puts the new tune on the car it saves the current tune as the stock tune. Which means if you didn't return your car to the stock tune first you are going to lose it because the tuner saved whatever was on your car as the stock tune. Just my guess lol.
redstang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483 View Post
I mean, I would keep returning it to stock because the tuner could crash and you could possibly loose your stock file somehow? I dunno, just my .02 lol
It has happened in the past that a tune has caused problems, and flashing to another tune without going back to stock tune first caused the engine to not start; now you have a dead vehicle that either has to be towed to a dealership for a complete ECM load, or you call the tech support group of the tuner manufacturer you have to get them to help.

And if this is the case, make sure you plan ahead: are they open on the weekends for help with your dead car?

Follow the directions of the tuner manufacturers: go back to stock prior to installing a new tune.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It has happened in the past that a tune has caused problems, and flashing to another tune without going back to stock tune first caused the engine to not start; now you have a dead vehicle that either has to be towed to a dealership for a complete ECM load, or you call the tech support group of the tuner manufacturer you have to get them to help.

And if this is the case, make sure you plan ahead: are they open on the weekends for help with your dead car?

Follow the directions of the tuner manufacturers: go back to stock prior to installing a new tune.

yea. not worth turning my car into a pumpkin over..... I'll just do as suggested
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have never returned my car to stock and have had zero problems.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Maybe Dan from American muscle can chime in... I did it by accident before and haven't had a problem... But I don't want to have problems later...
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If the manufacturer recommends going back to stock prior to changing to another tune, I'd do it. Look at it this way, if you follow directions and something goes wrong, who's to blame? The manufacturer. If you don't follow directions and something goes wrong, who's to blame? You are, and you can only hope the manufacturer will continue to support your mistake, at a price you can live with.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I said I did it by accident so that's why I'm asking.... The question remains what are the consequences if any? Can someone with some knowledge of the subject answer?
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
For my 2003 I dont have to revert back to stock, I can just upload a new tune to the vehicle. The factory tune is backed up in the programmer
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
For my 2003 I dont have to revert back to stock, I can just upload a new tune to the vehicle. The factory tune is backed up in the programmer
Exactly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang