The notchy tranny syndrom important must read. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Road Trip!

dobypaw3 is unknown around these parts
The notchy tranny syndrom important must read.

I was at my dealer to set up an oil change and tire rotation since it is way to cold and messy to do it myself. I also decided to ask them some questions about the MT-82 and told him I had problems with mine when it is cold but it shift great when warmed up and I discussed what some of us thought the problems are. I asked the service manager if it could be the synco's... He said if it were the syncro's there would be shifting issues all the time. I asked if it might be the clutch... He said the same thing as the syncro's. His reply was, it is a fluid issue and that is why Ford sent out a TSB. Ford will not let you know of this it is your job to check in and have the dealer take care of it. He also told me that the earlier MT-82 are the ones having most of the problems and it happens mostly in 1st thru 3rd. My dealer has changed the fluid in about a half dozen 11' and 12' Mustangs with the MT-82 and the customers have noticed a big difference. I can't wait to see what kind of difference the fluid change makes.

If you are have problems with notchiness hard to put in to gear or slight grinds as putting in gear go to your dealer and ask them to perform the TSB on your tranny. I can't remember but I think TSB stand for technical service bulletin. If you let it go you could end up with much bigger problems that may or may not be covered under warrantee. I also asked why Ford did not send out a recall. He said they do that when there is a safety concern. This problem is not a safety issue.

I asked about modifications. He told me any performance will void the warrantee or certain appearance modification will void it as well. I ask even a cold air intake only? He said any thing in the intake system including emission will be voided. I mention about Ford Racing equipment he told me they are warranted threw Ford Racing but the stock parts on the car are not. There are only 5 dealers in the USA that still do Ford Racing warrantee work anyone who does not live near one of the five dealers need to take it up with Ford Racing themselves. So it is a big risk to mod your car during the warrantee period. I'm thinking about going back to stock till the warrantee is up. Then it is full mod from intake to exhaust with driveshaft, gears, suspension and Procharger I have about three years to go.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

wheelman is unknown around these parts
Warranty voided for appearance mods? Give me a break. This guy has his head up his azz.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
The moral majority is neither
Admin

bucko is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Warranty voided for appearance mods? Give me a break. This guy has his head up his azz.
No, unfortunately he does not have his head up his azz.

It is up to the dealership as to how far they want to take the modifications and warranty claims. They are in the right to refuse any warranty claims due to the owner making modifications to the area in which a warranty claim is being made.

If an owner installs an exhaust system or cat backs, it could effect the exhaust system, but it would be a tough call if the dealership said it effected any other part of the car.

My suggestion is this: talk to your service manager at the dealership you want to use for warranty work. Many have reported here and on other Mustang sites that Ford dealerships "work with you" to perform warranty work, even on vehicles that have modifications.

I doubt however you'll have any luck getting serious engine warranty work done on a vehicle that has had a tune installed. Even if you flash it back to stock, they can now read the ECM and tell it's been altered. Gone are the days that you could flash it back, drive it for a day or two, and the evidence was removed.

To the OP, try another dealership for warranty work if you think your current one will be stuck to their rules. Dealerships get reimbursed for warranty work, but some will not do the work and make a claim for reimbursement if the vehicle has been modified; if they were caught, they may loose on their ability to perform and get reimbursed on warranty work. It's up to the dealer on how tough they want to be.

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You're right: it's up to the dealership what they submit to Ford and up to Ford what they'll cover. If he's telling you they'll refuse to submit something to Ford because you have quarter window louvers then yes, his head is in sun-dont-shine territory and the OP should find another dealer. Ive been through the warranty process more than once.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

SaintSancho is unknown around these parts
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

they cannot void a warrantee for an aftermarket part that they cannot prove caused the problem. aka put on a splitter and your engine is ticking that's unrelated. now if you're having problems with gas mileage and you installed a cai or tuned then they can obviously void it

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

but talk to your dealer I have a friend who was blowing fuses because of his improperly wired fogs. they realized after the second time bringing it in that it was his fault they replaced it for free and told him not to wire it the same or the next time it'd be on his dime
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
but talk to your dealer I have a friend who was blowing fuses because of his improperly wired fogs. they realized after the second time bringing it in that it was his fault they replaced it for free and told him not to wire it the same or the next time it'd be on his dime
Theres a reasonable dealer and I wouldnt even have expected that much. Ive heard some dealers even let you tune but I wouldnt trust that, if I had engine issues, that Ford wouldnt have a problem with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Admin

My above post agree's with you; if the modification is not releated to the warranty claim, it will be difficult if not impossible for a dealer to refuse a warranty issue. I'd stay away from a tuner though for any engine related warranty claims though until your warranty is up, or you don't care to make engine warranty claims.

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the part about them being able to refuse kinda threw me sorry D:
yeah tuners are a bad idea unless you're throwing away your warrenty because its really easy to show how your ecu controls so many parts of the car
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

BlackedStang is unknown around these parts
Every dealer is different..the sales manager at my dealer didn't give two craps about my CAI, exhaust, tune. Still have my factory warranty.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Admin

If I recieved that statement (about exterior mods being warranty stoppers for all repairs), I'd be shopping for a new service department dealership for sure.

There are some out there that even turn their heads when tunes have been installed. On another Mustang forum site I visit, a service tech said they have done warranty work on engines that have had exhaust, tuner, and CAI mods. He mentioned that it was up to the techs discression to decide if a mod created the problem.

Some work with you; others follow the book specifically. Find one that you're happy with.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Deibo is unknown around these parts
Are the 13 models having the same problems?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mines not too bad. then again I live in SoFlo so its cold when it's 70 here.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
I was at my dealer to set up an oil change and tire rotation since it is way to cold and messy to do it myself. I also decided to ask them some questions about the MT-82 and told him I had problems with mine when it is cold but it shift great when warmed up and I discussed what some of us thought the problems are. I asked the service manager if it could be the synco's... He said if it were the syncro's there would be shifting issues all the time. I asked if it might be the clutch... He said the same thing as the syncro's. His reply was, it is a fluid issue and that is why Ford sent out a TSB. Ford will not let you know of this it is your job to check in and have the dealer take care of it. He also told me that the earlier MT-82 are the ones having most of the problems and it happens mostly in 1st thru 3rd. My dealer has changed the fluid in about a half dozen 11' and 12' Mustangs with the MT-82 and the customers have noticed a big difference. I can't wait to see what kind of difference the fluid change makes.

If you are have problems with notchiness hard to put in to gear or slight grinds as putting in gear go to your dealer and ask them to perform the TSB on your tranny. I can't remember but I think TSB stand for technical service bulletin. If you let it go you could end up with much bigger problems that may or may not be covered under warrantee. I also asked why Ford did not send out a recall. He said they do that when there is a safety concern. This problem is not a safety issue.

I asked about modifications. He told me any performance will void the warrantee or certain appearance modification will void it as well. I ask even a cold air intake only? He said any thing in the intake system including emission will be voided. I mention about Ford Racing equipment he told me they are warranted threw Ford Racing but the stock parts on the car are not. There are only 5 dealers in the USA that still do Ford Racing warrantee work anyone who does not live near one of the five dealers need to take it up with Ford Racing themselves. So it is a big risk to mod your car during the warrantee period. I'm thinking about going back to stock till the warrantee is up. Then it is full mod from intake to exhaust with driveshaft, gears, suspension and Procharger I have about three years to go.
It is the synchronizers... the techs at ford dont know **** I have mine at the shop getting a new transmission I have 5k miles the reason why we can still shift is because they are new once you get pass couple thousand miles like 25 you won't be able to shift at all it happend to others its just gonna grt worst. They disassembled my transmission I ask what was wrong they said they didnt know check out my thread I made one for the transmission. Fluid aint gonna cause this but it is a problem. I wouldn't trust the fluid change because they checked my fluid and it was full of metal shreds thats long term damage fluid change is an easy cheap way to shut complainers out...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Suspension lower the appearance if your car. Think about it!!!

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

It is the synchronizers... the techs at ford dont know **** I have mine at the shop getting a new transmission I have 5k miles the reason why we can still shift is because they are new once you get pass couple thousand miles like 25 you won't be able to shift at all it happend to others its just gonna grt worst. They disassembled my transmission I ask what was wrong they said they didnt know check out my thread I made one for the transmission. Fluid aint gonna cause this but it is a problem. I wouldn't trust the fluid change because they checked my fluid and it was full of metal shreds thats long term damage fluid change is an easy cheap way to shut complainers out...
I have absolutely no problems when the tranny is warm or in above freezing weather... Did you ever think yours made it threw defects with bad part/parts remember it is made in china!!! FYI 20,000 miles on my Stang in 10 months this is it's first winter. I an pleased with my synchronizers.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

I have absolutely no problems when the tranny is warm or in above freezing weather... Did you ever think yours made it threw defects with bad part/parts remember it is made in china!!!
The problem is more apparent when In cold weather. I live in south texas 90-110 degree weather and I would experience it. All it is cheap components inside the transmission yeha I kbow I was made in china but you cannot be biased and blame it on that. Ford also changed the fluid because they experience noise when testing the transmissions. They changed it to what we had originally then problems occurd and they changed it again. I am a ford guy always have beeb but this is just poor quality parts not poor assembly and ford knew that.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote:

I have absolutely no problems when the tranny is warm or in above freezing weather... Did you ever think yours made it threw defects with bad part/parts remember it is made in china!!! FYI 20,000 miles on my Stang in 10 months this is it's first winter. I an pleased with my synchronizers.
It is hit and miss thats why there's no recal remember some do have problems. But the people that do have minor problems in the beginning will indeed see more down the road if you were lucky enough to not have any from the start youll will probably won't have any problems at all
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes some will not all, but some will like suspension lowers the appearance of the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Suspension lower the appearance if your car. Think about it!!!.
Uh, lowering your car is more than an appearance mod. Think about it.

Quote:

Yes some will not all, but some will like suspension lowers the appearance of the car.
EDIT: You answered me twice & Im still not sure where youre headed...?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

MrMike is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deibo View Post
Are the 13 models having the same problems?
13's have the new fluid in them. The tsb is for the 11-12 models. I'm trying a new shifter bracket next month, the new barton one, because I have that notchy 1st 2nd problem also. The stock bracket is of very poor quality. You canYouTube "mt-82 stock shifter bracket" to see the how much it could effect your shifting.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

13's have the new fluid in them. The tsb is for the 11-12 models. I'm trying a new shifter bracket next month, the new barton one, because I have that notchy 1st 2nd problem also. The stock bracket is of very poor quality. You canYouTube "mt-82 stock shifter bracket" to see the how much it could effect your shifting.
I was thinking about going with the MGW shifter. But I don't have my car yet. It's waiting for me in Texas.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deibo View Post

I was thinking about going with the MGW shifter. But I don't have my car yet. It's waiting for me in Texas.
I was looking a swapping out the shifter also, but I think our shifter is fine imo. Shorter throws would be nice though.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sanguin is unknown around these parts
MGW replaces the whole remote shifter box. You get something engineered to work and Barton's 2-post bracket actually imitates their design.

Anyway, I still have issues with clunky shifting unless I'm really careful with how I shift. No bracket yet here.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
MGW replaces the whole remote shifter box. You get something engineered to work and Barton's 2-post bracket actually imitates their design.

Anyway, I still have issues with clunky shifting unless I'm really careful with how I shift. No bracket yet here.
I was spoiled in Japan with short throw shifters so I just want to stay in my comfort zone.

I had to do a little research about the Barton and the MGW shifter and the MGW won it for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You said you didn't have your car yet... Have you even driven a MT82? A lot of people call the stock shifter a "short throw" because the gates are really close together for a stock setup.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll be ordering the barton 2 post bracket shortly from AM. On another note I was disappointed to receive my GT 500 spoiler today in candy Apple! Corner was cracked off! Am's customer service took care of me and hoped ill receive a new one by the end of the week!The roush axel backs that I ordered were fine but UPS handling of spoiler package resulted in this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130129_224618.png
Views:	127
Size:	920.5 KB
ID:	88256
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You said you didn't have your car yet... Have you even driven a MT82? A lot of people call the stock shifter a "short throw" because the gates are really close together for a stock setup.
No, I haven't driven a MT82 yet. I'm going off of people experiences for right now.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like really close!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Will the mgw shifter fit in a barton 2 bracket?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The MGW has a bracket built into it. It replaces the whole shifter extension as one piece. Look at a vid on youtube and they show the whole install, beginning to end.

Forgot to add, A guy on Allfords had AM send him 4-5 spoilers before UPS decided to stop breaking them.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The MGW has a bracket built into it. It replaces the whole shifter extension as one piece. Look at a vid on youtube and they show the whole install, beginning to end.

Forgot to add, A guy on Allfords had AM send him 4-5 spoilers before UPS decided to stop breaking them.
Oh don't say that! But to be honest they are not packed well at all! The spoiler moves around in the box and is not covered entirely in bubble wrap...? The corners are completely exposed so if its not handled with care I can see it happening again! I told AM that packaging was average at best! Well see if I get one intact! Fingers crossed. Paint was a perfect match!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #29

Red Baron is unknown around these parts
I have been experiencing the notchy shifting (6 speed manual) as well. But after the car is up to temperature it seems to shift just fine. But after reading some of these posts it might be a good idea to get it looked at.....

My 2012 V6 has less than 14k miles on it so I am hoping I have a LONG way to go before any major issues.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I got the sr performance short throw from american muscle it's a whole new car. it's the cheapest one and I actually got it on recommendation from a friend worried it might be kinda crappy. the throws are even shorter on my 13 which is saying something. the real reason I got it was to clean up the throws and it does an amazing job of it. 150 bucks free shipping I'd give it a shot
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
I have been experiencing the notchy shifting (6 speed manual) as well. But after the car is up to temperature it seems to shift just fine. But after reading some of these posts it might be a good idea to get it looked at.....

My 2012 V6 has less than 14k miles on it so I am hoping I have a LONG way to go before any major issues.
Take it in mine had 5, 000 and had metal shreds in the fluid.. before it gets worst...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

Uh, lowering your car is more than an appearance mod. Think about it.

EDIT: You answered me twice & Im still not sure where youre headed...?
Ok think about this one... "You" install not the dealer a hood scoop which requirers drilling holes in the hood to secure it now your hood rust or the water leaks threw and damages a component under the hood... Guess what's not covered because of the appearance mod!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok think about this one... "You" install not the dealer a hood scoop which requirers drilling holes in the hood to secure it now your hood rust or the water leaks threw and damages a component under the hood... Guess what's not covered because of the appearance mod!!!
It took you 24 hours to coherently post an appearance mod that might void your warranty because the install was effed up? Okay man, you win. I have still have appearance mods and an intact warranty, though. Hmmm...
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, all underhood components are waterproof, because water gets in the engine bay by design... open bottom and road spray. Everything has waterproof connectors with rubber seals.

The GT500 heat extractor in the hood, like I have now, let's water in under the hood and just over the radiator. Same with the GT heat vents that let water drain down the sides of the engine bay.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Adamp1 is unknown around these parts
I spoke to my local ford dealer and they said the only thing voided is the part you put on not anything else. for example. put gears on a your 2012 the driver train is voided.

Aftermarket products is the life we chose to live gentlemen (and ladies) nobody said it would be easy; but in the end it is worth it. what we do with our cars this year, will echo in the following years. (war cry) "Fram! Fram! Kristmenn, Krossmenn!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang