Catch Can and Condensation - I hope - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Catch Can and Condensation - I hope

I empty the oil catch can between oil changes and yesterday it was brown -- uh oh.

Checked the dip stick and it was nice and "oil color" - no brown.

We just got through a serious cold snap so I am guessing it is just condensation in the catch can.

Is there anyone else that has one (or just knows stuff like this) that can tell me that is indeed the case?
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What oil are you using? dyno, semi, or full synthetic?

My catch can always has a black color of oil that it catches. Never matches the tan color of the dip stick.

remember, this is "blowby" oil up into the valvecovers, so it's not going to match that of the oil pan; a good thing!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I use the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.

The car has 16K on it, so I have emptied the catch can a few times at this point and it has always looked like the oil drained from the engine.

I wanted to post this in case it set off some alarm bells that there was something I needed to fix.
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Nope. All normal. I always did find it strange that the oil draining out of the pan appears dark, yet the dipstick shows it tan. I've had to dip my finger into the drain pan container just to verify!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't freak out too much, sounds like standard catch can oil. Oil usually looks black because of how dense it is, when you look at smaller quantities it will thin out and give that gold or brown color. If your really woried about water in he oil you can do 2 things. First is look under the oil cap, if there is white residue or goopy crap then you could have a problem. the other thing you can do is change the oil and let the old oil sit for a few days, if there is water in it there will be a layer of water on top of the oil after a day or so of letting it settle. I honestly think your ok but if you want to be sure then an oil change is your best bet.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Nope. All normal. I always did find it strange that the oil draining out of the pan appears dark, yet the dipstick shows it tan. I've had to dip my finger into the drain pan container just to verify!
What that is, is the oil can't stick to the dip stick and is a very thin layer. Also the stick only shows 2 quart low, not bone dry. The oil at the bottom of the pan is black because of sludge and when emptied the color also fills out.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I did some reading about the PCV system and this appears to me that it is normal.

A quote from this article http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

"the PCV system will scavenge much of this moisture from the oil, in the form of steam"
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsInMyCoffe View Post
I did some reading about the PCV system and this appears to me that it is normal.

A quote from this article AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve

"the PCV system will scavenge much of this moisture from the oil, in the form of steam"
Except, we do not have a PCV valve....it's a straight tube from the valve cover to the intake tube runners. No valve between. Don't know why it was scraped, unless too many folks would not change it out, it got clogged and damaged the engine from crankcase buildup.

Next time you have a few minutes, take a Q-tip, remove one end of the passenger side crankcase tup, swab the inside of this tube. You'll be shocked as to how much oil mist is going into the air intake on the passenger side.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The 3.7 does in fact have 1 PCV valve. It sits inside the valve cover attached to the passenger side vent stem. I found it just a bit ago while I was re routing my hose line o eliminate the valve cover gasses venting back into the engine. Now it's just looped back to the intake before the TB and I have the cover venting to the atmosphere. I will get a catch can to collect any oil later so as to not have it dumping oil all over the engine bay or ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3452585498.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	91279

Right where my pinky sits is the hose leading to the IM. The only way to keep the car from either stalling out or running a 1,200+ idle was to bend the hose line restricting the air a bit. Not it sits at 550-675 rpm at idle ( give or take)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang