How much money will it be to Install Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
How much money will it be to Install Gears

I got a 2013 v6 and I want to buy some 3.73 Gears and I just wanted to know how much will it be to Install them
CodyMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyMustang3.7 View Post
I got a 2013 v6 and I want to buy some 3.73 Gears and I just wanted to know how much will it be to Install them
Depends bro on alot of factors. I paid 150 but that's cuz my mustang club gets 20% off cuz we always bring business
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Average cost is around $500 total, gears and install included.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Call local shops and ask
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Depends bro on alot of factors. I paid 150 but that's cuz my mustang club gets 20% off cuz we always bring business
I'm happy to hear that it's not that much money because One of my friends told me it's like $1100
CodyMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
I'm happy to hear that it's not that much money because One of my friends told me it's like $1100
Time to get a new friend for price quotes!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Bucko

++++++
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Time to get a new friend for price quotes!
LOL

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote:

Yea the most you would truly spend is like 400 for install bro
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got quotes from respected shops here in FL for between $500 and $750. I went with steeda and paid $533 out the door. Thats for gears, install, and all the gaskets and fluids. If you need new bearings you can add about $100 on to that price but with a 2013 you should be fine. I had just over 30K miles on my 2012 when I got mine done and did not need new bearings.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well i have a new 2013 mustang i have like 300-400ish miles one it, its stander
and i want to get the Ford Racing 3.73 Gears and Bama Tuner (10-13 GT; 11-13 V6) combo kit, does that come everything i need or do i need buy other parts does come with everything in the combokit??
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If your not installing the gears yourself you are better off just buying them from the place that is installing them. If you want to try it yourself then there is an install kit you can buy. It has the gaskets, gear oil and just about everything else you need.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I got quotes from respected shops here in FL for between $500 and $750. I went with steeda and paid $533 out the door. Thats for gears, install, and all the gaskets and fluids. If you need new bearings you can add about $100 on to that price but with a 2013 you should be fine. I had just over 30K miles on my 2012 when I got mine done and did not need new bearings.
U can get the bearing for 20-25 from autozone bro i did instead of paying AM 89
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your not installing the gears yourself you are better off just buying them from the place that is installing them. If you want to try it yourself then there is an install kit you can buy. It has the gaskets, gear oil and just about everything else you need.
but i want the bama tune thats why i want to get combo so i have both but before i buy i want to make sure the 3.73 gears come with everything so when i go to a shop i just pay for the install and nothing else
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

if you get the bama tune you will have free tunes for life. just tell them you are getting gears and the ratio and they will send you tunes via e-mail. then you can put them on the tuner and load them on the car as soon an the gears are done. it's up to you on how you want to do it but you can get the tune for your gears either way.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My local ford dealer told $500 just to install they must not want my buisness or think im just stupid. Lol
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
My local ford dealer told $500 just to install they must not want my buisness or think im just stupid. Lol
thats a dealer for ya. There not going to give you a good deal because they dont want to have to warranty the work. Your better off going to a speed shop that is used to doing things like gears anyways. You will get a better price and a shop that does gear swaps regularly.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Yes +1

Quote:
thats a dealer for ya. There not going to give you a good deal because they dont want to have to warranty the work. Your better off going to a speed shop that is used to doing things like gears anyways. You will get a better price and a shop that does gear swaps regularly.
He's right, unless your dealer is a Mustang fan, and many are, use a speed shop.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Dealers usually use the "FLAT RATE BOOK"

They go by the book and if the books say's it takes five hours that is what they charge you for even if it only takes two or three hours to do a job.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have no clue what this all entails so I am wondering what shops you guys are going to? Just a regular mechanic that you trust or are these specialty shops or just dropping it off at a Jiffy Lube and hoping for the best?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I have no clue what this all entails so I am wondering what shops you guys are going to? Just a regular mechanic that you trust or are these specialty shops or just dropping it off at a Jiffy Lube and hoping for the best?
Unless in the last 30-40 years gears got to be a drop-in operation like an alternator, most folks back in my day had to go to a shop that did Gears to make sure the "gunsmith like fit" would last for 100,000 miles. If gear shims were off in 20K miles they could be ruined. Dealers had guides and jigs to do it for their brand, and speed shops had "speed smiths" that could do it in their sleep. Standard Mec shops hardly ever had folks experienced in gears.

Did anything change since the 70s? Or are gears like a drop in trigger job now?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Gears are not something you want to try and figure out. You need a few special tools like a gear puller and you need to be very familiar with how your rear dif works. I watched the tech at steeda do mine and I was glad it was him and not me... To me it seems like one of those things that if you have to ask how then you should probably leave it to the pro's.

There has got to be a good speed shop around that can give you a fair price. If no speed shop then look for an off road truck place. People who rock crawl and stuff like that have gears put in all the time. I bet a shop like that could get your gears in your car properly. You would probably need to get the parts yourself if you went that rout... I don't see jeep world carrying ford racing gears lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I'd say $500 to $600 if you already have all parts

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

$500 to $600 WITH GEARS AND INSTALL. 533.02 is what I paid from steeda out the door. Steeda is one of the best and labor was not cheap. In fact, labor was half the bill I think... What I did was look up ALL the speed shops your willing to trust. Make a list and call each one for a quote. See who has the best deal and go from there

I drove 3 hours to steeda so don't be afraid to travel. I wouldn't pay over 630 personally but allot depends on location

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang