To Convertible or Not - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

sbbamafan is unknown around these parts
To Convertible or Not

First post here - thinking I will likely buy a Mustang in a few months. I am really torn between a convertible or a coupe. Do some of you have one and regret not getting the other? Why are you glad you got a convertible? I would really rather have the convertible (never had one before) but am concerned over more road noise, lack of structural stiffness, etc. I'm almost 50 - not racing or anything - prefer to think my 'stupid' days are behind me.

Either way it will be a big change for me since I have been driving SUV's for the past decade or so. Is the trunk in the convertible too small? Are there any problems with the top tearing or anything like that? Mine will be kept in a garage at night but not during the day. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Staff
Staff

Adogg is unknown around these parts
Well first off welcome and second what model year you looking to get?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mystang.GT is unknown around these parts
Welcome!. I bought my second mustang at 44! '05 convertible with a V6. No regrets except I wanted a V8. So, 5 years later I bought the 07 convertible GT. I bought my son an 07 V6 Coupe. Hands down I love my convertible! I do park it from nov-dec until apr because of the salt on the road. Only advise is get what you want. You'll love it Either way!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Probably either an '11 or '12, although there are some things I like about the '13. I generally prefer to buy after the great depreciation....
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Gtzzoom is unknown around these parts
Welcome!
Get the convertible...you wont regret it.
Live a little, get a drop-top...LOL

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Staff
Staff

Adogg is unknown around these parts
Yea if ur planning on going new I would say convertible and if ur not worried about performance the vert should be fine
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I actually had another Mustang in college. My old car died and my parents found a 1981 Mustang hatchback with t-tops and the inline 6 (with the California emissions package). It was such a dog! +/-85 hp in a car that I guess weighed about 3600#. I hated it - had to have it floored to get it to move and it got less than 14 mpg. I had pretty much sworn off Mustangs because of that car. It looked ok and the t-tops never leaked, but that was the end of the 'good'.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sanguin is unknown around these parts
I can think of a few occasions I'd like a vert, but I drive with my windows down a lot. Are you willing to forgo A/C to drive with the top down in the day in summer heat? Is the increased noise/maintenance worth it to you? What about price? I (personally) don't like the modified profile the car gets with the top up.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I can think of a few occasions I'd like a vert, but I drive with my windows down a lot. Are you willing to forgo A/C to drive with the top down in the day in summer heat? Is the increased noise/maintenance worth it to you? What about price? I (personally) don't like the modified profile the car gets with the top up.
The noise is a concern. What additional maintenance? I'd like to know more about this.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

LOL...Sanguin...all the negative points in one sentence ....
If could buy another Mustang new or used (1964 1/2-2010)..i'd get a Vert. You get used to the heat here at the beach

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Mystang.GT is unknown around these parts
I drive with the AC max in the summer with the top down. I drive with the Heat max in the fall if I need it. Now, I also have heat seaters. My 05 had original top for 8 years with no problems and no extra maintenance. I would drop it and pop it back up several times in a trip. and had NO issues.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

PS, Noise isn't bad with the windows up. Convertibles have come a looooong way!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

alrefire is unknown around these parts
i don't use my AC really, unless i have to defrost a window or something
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

me too. unless it rains here...No a/c in the summer. gets me better mpg and performance.
heat & seat heaters is a nice combo...as this is my first car with the heated seats

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in metro Atlanta. Between the 95F degree summer days and the 90+% humidity a/c is a requirement about 9 months of the year. Even in the cold couple of months you still need it for the humidity and rain.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

It can stay so miserably hot here, that is another reason I question whether to get the convertible. I'll put it this way - it is so hot here in midsummer I dont even go to my boat.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Pony_Boy is unknown around these parts
I'd say coupe, windows down has enough air and road noise. If its the same price maybe a drop top but I couldn't get past the smaller trunk, loss of structure rigidity, increased insurance (just on principle even if its cheap), loss of profile (never liked the top up profile), and increased maintenance in time if you plan on keeping it. These are my reasons for a coupe. I drove a convertible when I was shopping around for my mustang, it is a fun experience and worth while IMO if you plan on dropping the top all the time. My wife hates the wind messing with her hair which was another plus for a coupe.

As mentioned before its your car! Get what you love! My next car will be a school bus yellow '13 boss, just need to save and keep looking...
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Soccerluvr4 is unknown around these parts
IMO if you are on the fence between it get a coupe, as soon as Ford makes a hard-top vert Mustang i will be all over it, but until then i hate soft tops.

Faster than a speeding...............
Carvin' corners like a Boss

June 2013 Mustang of the Month
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Extra maintenance is in the top and quarter side glass that rolls down. The top will wear out, it's not a matter of if, but when. It also depends on where you store it (garage?) and such. The longer you keep it, the more important this becomes. If you replace a car every few years, it won't matter at all.

Anyway, I just know a vert isn't for me. The rare occasions I'd like to have one are so few in between, I'll stick to the sexier profile and fewer parts inherent to my hardtop.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Vert all the way. I live in memphis and there are few days that are too hot for the top down...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If there was a hard top convertible with the combination of power, mileage looks and price, Id be all over it. No car is perfect, but the current mustangs seem to be closer than others. The bad thing about the hard top convertibles is that they have very little trunk space when the top is down.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well, they make hard top conversions, but they still don't have the right profile.

Galpin Mustang Convertible Hardtop - YouTube

Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, they make hard top conversions, but they still don't have the right profile.

Galpin Mustang Convertible Hardtop - YouTube
Do sanguin a favor and buy a coupe :p
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, don't do me any favors. It's his car.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

ronnie948 is just getting started.
Hi Sbbamafan

You say you are fifty and thought your Stupid Years were over. Well, let me tell you something. "Your Stupid years are just beginning" Beginning at fifty your brain starts going backwards. I myself just turned seventy but I have the brain of a 16 year old. I don't think this works for everybody but it sure works for us "CAR PEOPLE"

Go rent a Mustang convertable for a week and see if that is what you would really want long term. It is a lot cheaper then buying a Vert and find out you hate putting the top down.

Ronnie
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You say you are fifty and thought your Stupid Years were over. Well, let me tell you something. "Your Stupid years are just beginning" Beginning at fifty your brain starts going backwards. I myself just turned seventy but I have the brain of a 16 year old. I don't think this works for everybody but it sure works for us "CAR PEOPLE"

Go rent a Mustang convertable for a week and see if that is what you would really want long term. It is a lot cheaper then buying a Vert and find out you hate putting the top down.

Ronnie
Good suggestion - I have thought about doing that but I am going to wait until closer to the time I plan to purchase.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

not a bad idea there Ronnie. I know when I FINALLY get to go to Vegas..im gonna rent a vert to drive to Hoover dam, Grand Canyon, and to the CA border. you only live once (Regardless of the Bond movie title ...LOL)

Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

ronnie948 is just getting started.
Hey GTZoom

Don't forget to do the Shelby factory. They do a tour at 10am every day. It is located at the speedway just North of Las Vegas, Then from there you can go up to the Valley of Fire state park. From the Vally of Fire State park you can go back roads to Hoover Dam. When I was there I did a lot.

Shelby Museum and Super Snake factory
Valley of Fire
Hoover Dam
Pawn Stars (Gold & Silver Pawn)
American Restoration (Rick's restoration.)
Counts Customs
Nylon Bone yard
Fremont Street Experience ( Old Las Vegas)
Clark County Museum
The western Ghost town west of Las Vegas
Red Rock Canyon
Plus a lot of time on the Strip.

I did the S.E.M.A. show the first four days and the rest of my two weeks I did all the tourist stuff.

I don't drink or Gamble so my trip did not bust me completely.

I'm sure you are gonna have a great time. I did.

Shelby pictures>
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/p...and%20Factory/

Ronnie
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Some people are NOT convertible people. Those people barley use the top and leave it up 99% of the time. It gets hot, you will sweat, or you will be cold etc. If you dont like droping the to if its colder than 65 or warmer than 75 then its not for you

The "Novelty" of it wears off quick with many.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
i don't use my AC really, unless i have to defrost a window or something
Because race car! I use defrost in the winter. Half crack te windows in the summer unless interstate.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

I like convertibles with the top down. Top up I'd hate them. Also, lets just say you have enemies or punks around you. They could slash the top. Reprinting can be cheaper than a whole new top.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #29
Road Trip!

dobypaw3 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
First post here - thinking I will likely buy a Mustang in a few months. I am really torn between a convertible or a coupe. Do some of you have one and regret not getting the other? Why are you glad you got a convertible? I would really rather have the convertible (never had one before) but am concerned over more road noise, lack of structural stiffness, etc. I'm almost 50 - not racing or anything - prefer to think my 'stupid' days are behind me.

Either way it will be a big change for me since I have been driving SUV's for the past decade or so. Is the trunk in the convertible too small? Are there any problems with the top tearing or anything like that? Mine will be kept in a garage at night but not during the day. Thanks in advance.
sbbamafan welcome and sorry to say the mustang will take you back to your stupid days... They are to much fun to granny them around!!! "IMO" i like the hard top never felt convertibles were that safe overall.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Mustangs is unknown around these parts
I vote coupe. IMO the look of these mustangs with the top up just ruins the look of the car. And 90% of the time I see a convertible the top is up anyways.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
I vote coupe. IMO the look of these mustangs with the top up just ruins the look of the car. And 90% of the time I see a convertible the top is up anyways.
If I had a conv mustang, and lived in a warm place
I'd be topless with the top down
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
If I had a conv mustang, and lived in a warm place
I'd be topless with the top down
I'd vote all women do this.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol me too :p
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

MrMike is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Got my vote!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I think it was the wise man, Bill Engvall, that said "You've seen one woman naked...you want to see 'em all". I can tell you though - he is not correct. There are some you just don't want to see. Kind of like a car crash...no matter how gruesome the scene may be you have to look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang