driveshaft or gears combo? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
People are way to paranoid with the drive shaft. I've seem more people tearing up our trannys but no one seems to make a massive issue out of it more than the handful of ds that have failed!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
People are way to paranoid with the drive shaft. I've seem more people tearing up our trannys but no one seems to make a massive issue out of it more than the handful of ds that have failed!
Paranoid is not even the word. People are afraid of going over 80. Don't want to accelerate too quickly. Omg, people are hilarious! Like two stock driveshafts failed around 135 roadway and around 160 on a Dyno and like its this major issue all over the world with the V6 mustang. Hilarious. Let's no go over 80 because the DS might explode. I bet more water pumps break on the car than driveshafts. So screwy!

Unless someone has increased there HP and Torque to over 600 on there 11 plus v6 there is no way a driveshaft is exploding with 3:73 gears and the stock HP and torque when accelerating . I don't care how many times you floor that pedal. Screwy
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Like Mass hysteria is almost an understatement!
I don't believe there is enough evidence in larger numbers to worry about it.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Go put 3.73 gears, bama hybrid tune and CAI on you car and go blasting down the freeway to find out then. I'll be here to laugh at you when Im rite and your repairing you car.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Google "aluminum ds failure pictures", maybe we should invest in titanium ds! If your going to swap your stock ds do it for the weight reduction (20lbs) and noise reduction if your a manual, not because people tell you your car will expode and catch fire if you dont!

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Go put 3.73 gears, bama hybrid tune and CAI on you car and go blasting down the freeway to find out then. I'll be here to laugh at you when Im rite and your repairing you car.
Lol, I'm laughing at you NOW! Sorry, this thread is ridiculous. I'm not hating! : )
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Paranoid is not even the word. People are afraid of going over 80. Don't want to accelerate too quickly. Omg, people are hilarious! Like two stock driveshafts failed around 135 roadway and around 160 on a Dyno and like its this major issue all over the world with the V6 mustang. Hilarious. Let's no go over 80 because the DS might explode. I bet more water pumps break on the car than driveshafts. So screwy!

Unless someone has increased there HP and Torque to over 600 on there 11 plus v6 there is no way a driveshaft is exploding with 3:73 gears and the stock HP and torque when accelerating . I don't care how many times you floor that pedal. Screwy
You said it. Example, there have been so many manual transmission issues covered on this forum alone but no one is saying....if you do gears and a tune your going to rip your syncros apart so you should upgrade to a tremic. Lol In fact we had someone on this forum who just had his transmission replaced last week on his stang because of poor fabrication not even wear and tear but no one panics like this so called ds issue! BTW his car if I remember correctly was stock!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Google "aluminum ds failure pictures", maybe we should invest in titanium ds! If your going to swap your stock ds do it for the weight reduction (20lbs) and noise reduction if your a manual, not because people tell you your car will expode and catch fire if you dont!

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Lol, I'm laughing at you NOW! Sorry, this thread is ridiculous. I'm not hating! : )
Man oh man, are these forums entertaining or what? Omg, my Kidney just exploded from laughing so hard. I feel very confident in Ford and my 11 V6, the stock driveshaft wont explode when doing 80 or 90 MPH with me having 3:73 gears in it or me pressing the gas pedal down. Even with a tune and Cai one is not increasing there torque numbers by like 400 extra.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I'm very confident in my 6er also! But if some people are not maybe they should invest in a ds saftey loop for a stock or aluminum ds! Some of those aluminum ds snapped under 100mph!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm very confident in my 6er also! But if some people are not maybe they should invest in a ds saftey loop for a stock or aluminum ds! Some of those aluminum ds snapped under 100mph!
Unless you have a HP and torgue monster vehicle and racing that sucker regularly I can't imagine how people must be beating and raging the dog ***** out of their car for street use in order for the DS to snap. I have never blown a driveshaft and have driven plenty of my vehicles at higher speeds. Heck my wife's Mazda mini van will do triple digits any day of the week and have never blown a driveshaft. I have driven a 93 v6 Camaro and I down right beat the balls off that car and never did I have a issue with the driveshaft. Of course I was never doing neutral bombs but still drove that car like I stole it and yet never had a driveshaft issue.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Unless you have a HP and torgue monster vehicle and racing that sucker regularly I can't imagine how people must be beating and raging the dog ***** out of their car for street use in order for the DS to snap. I have never blown a driveshaft and have driven plenty of my vehicles at higher speeds. Heck my wife's Mazda mini van will do triple digits any day of the week and have never blown a driveshaft. I have driven a 93 v6 Camaro and I down right beat the balls off that car and never did I have a issue with the driveshaft. Of course I was never doing neutral bombs but still drove that car like I stole it and yet never had a driveshaft issue.
I agree. In High School I did neural bombs in my 65 Plymouth V8 and got 80k miles before blowing the tranny. The DS was never a concern.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Has anyone made a 2011-2013 V6 driveshaft failure count over 3 units?

I heard of 2 GT drive shaft failures and no paranoia in that camp? Or is there?

Lets go back to the old years. How many driveshaft failures did the old cars like Nova's, Darts, and Mavericks have? Hard to get that info maybe due to lack of internet forums back then to spread the word globally in nano-secs.

PS, next time my car is at the dealer I am going to ask them to take a cell-phone picture of my shaft to compare with the 2012s. I think mine will be the same. Then I will ask what the cost is of that special 2013 part number in the book. I bet he says he can't get that, its a export part...or he will ask me if I plan to take the limiter off. Any takes on which answer he gives?

PPS, my stock shaft is fine, and I am not concerned about its virility at all
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Has anyone made a 2011-2013 V6 driveshaft failure count over 3 units?

I heard of 2 GT drive shaft failures and no paranoia in that camp? Or is there?

Lets go back to the old years. How many driveshaft failures did the old cars like Nova's, Darts, and Mavericks have? Hard to get that info maybe due to lack of internet forums back then to spread the word globally in nano-secs.

PS, next time my car is at the dealer I am going to ask them to take a cell-phone picture of my shaft to compare with the 2012s. I think mine will be the same. Then I will ask what the cost is of that special 2013 part number in the book. I bet he says he can't get that, its a export part...or he will ask me if I plan to take the limiter off. Any takes on which answer he gives?

PPS, my stock shaft is fine, and I am not concerned about its virility at all
And if I'm not mistaken wasn't one of those 3 driveshaft failures a shaftmaster one piece aluminum driveshaft where the car was on Dyno. I guess to the person who doesn't want to go over 80 until they get there one piece aluminum driveshaft, that's simple then, don't go over 80 if your that concerned about it. If your don't want to accelerate quickly until you get your new driveshaft, then don't.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The old days it was bad

Hi ArtU,
When at a drag strip back in the 60's-70's -80's there were a whole lot of failures but it was 99% universal joints breaking before a drive shaft twisted off. I have seen drive shafts twisted off on some Altered cars but they had to have a scatter shield over the bell housing and a drive shaft loop on those very high performance cars. This is nothing new. I also have seen Universals go on my own cars but with no damage done.

The problem with the 3.7 V6 drive shaft is it works great at normal driving but it is hollow and very weak in the center. It also has weights in the rear section to try to stop vibration due to they did not want to have to balance them to the close tolerance of a one piece. This badly engineered item weighs in at 43 pounds and just think of the power it robs getting it moving. Of course once it is spinning the weight helps it's rotation force.

Shaft Masters did have a problem with two of them failing on their dyno at 6,900 RPM but resolved the problem with the yoke by making it longer and stronger. They have a story on their site. They are replacing all of the Shafts they already sold.

This is one of those things we will never know how many failures Ford will have or have had. I'm sure there are plenty of failures but no way to find out how many. It is not noted as a safety failure so they don't have to disclose the problem.

Ours is not the only forum presenting this Drive Shaft failure worry so there must be more to it then we will know.

Read this>http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...sues-resolved/

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Ronnie, you are correct about the 60s-70s track, U-joint failures on stock cars with bolt ons. I broke a U-joint on the street once but I didn't have the super mod torque to make it drop a shaft, it just farked up and made me stop. Shaft drops with really twisted u-joints were with lots of torque back then correct? Big Block Torque numbers in 4:10 gears IIRC?

["This is one of those things we will never know how many failures Ford will have or have had."]

Really? I think if it was as much a failure and risk as the Manual Tranny issues, CSPC, SafeCar, and NTSB would force an investigation; especially since the risk of huge injury in a dropped shaft and car flip over or shaft entry to a child in the rear seat is much greater than the trans issue of busting a lower gear and driftin' the read end onto a center median tree. But not risk as much as a Toyota running WOT with your foot on the break

I could be wrong and defer to your greater experience in the speed industry than my risk management experience.

["Ours is not the only forum presenting this Drive Shaft failure "]

Correct, but I so far I have counted only 3 V6 2011-2013 failures reported everyone is all obsessing about, so I was asking if more have come to lite since last year?

["Of course once it is spinning the weight helps it's rotation force."]
Just a tech question here, my Full Size Truck once its spinning, it seems like it keeps it moving on ball bearings at 65, allowing it to get better MPG while you exercise a very light cruise on the throttle, don't break an egg style. Could this be part of the MPG gains in this model car?

Also again, what about all the GT V8 stock and aftermarket shaft failures over the last 10 years? Has that has been happening much longer? in a quick Google I see a post from 2007 talking about GT aftermarket shaft failures at 70mph, Inquiring minds are wanting to know.

Aluminum Driveshaft Failure at 70 mph... - Page 2 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

PPS it would seem that user "White Lighting" is correct that you can die at any speed over 55
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi ArtU

Check this>Shaftmasters 3.7L Mustang Driveshaft Issues Resolved | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

My opinion is that with all of the company's that are into making one piece aluminum drive shafts for the newer cars with these stupid slider cheaply made drive shafts there must be something to it. If you recall, Honda recalled all of there Civics not to long ago to replace "DRIVE SHAFTS"

I'll try to find an artical.OPS, here it is>http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...-problems.html

Ronnie
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Check this>
I'll try to find an artical.OPS, here it is>2012 Honda Civic sedans recalled due to driveshaft problems

Ronnie
So correct Ronnie, and I agree there is something to it. That report is Honda. So where is the reports on the Fords? I saw hundreds and hundreds of reports on Ford Manual MT82s, causing injury, crashes and wrecks; where are the reports on the shafts other then the 3? I would like to hear more about it to believe it is a bigger problem than the Triad.

What I see, and correct me if I am wrong, is that 3 V6 drive shaft failures have caused most of the aftermarket shaft makers to sell out and back-order most of the quality shafts they can make. The more they sell, the more the 3 failures cause everybody to obsess and more buy them and their out of stock and back ordered again?

A not so similar situation, but similar by the same "desire", resulted in gun stores being totally sold out of all viable self defense guns and ammo in the last 45 days.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So correct Ronnie, and I agree there is something to it. That report is Honda. So where is the reports on the Fords? I saw hundreds and hundreds of reports on Ford Manual MT82s, causing injury, crashes and wrecks; where are the reports on the shafts other then the 3? I would like to hear more about it to believe it is a bigger problem than the Triad.

What I see, and correct me if I am wrong, is that 3 V6 drive shaft failures have caused most of the aftermarket shaft makers to sell out and back-order most of the quality shafts they can make. The more they sell, the more the 3 failures cause everybody to obsess and more buy them and their out of stock and back ordered again?

A not so similar situation, but similar by the same "desire", resulted in gun stores being totally sold out of all viable self defense guns and ammo in the last 45 days.
+1. So exhausted. I'm buying a KIA.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i dont know what to get no more then
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
i dont know what to get no more then
You won't be harming your car with either one. Your choice.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

i want to get the ds but yall are saying the aluminum ds breaks to
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

It's very very rare.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's very very rare.
okay what the hell then what all this arguing saying its not good?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Please re read your thread!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Arturo55

I guess you missed this,
Click here>>http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...sues-resolved/

This company found a problem at way more RPM then you will ever get to, They rectified the problem and now they are replacing all of the drive shafts they sold. Any way you look at it. These aluminum one piece drive shafts are lighter, stronger and better then the stock 3.7 V6 Mustang drive shaft.

There is no law or anything forcing a person to replace the stock drive shaft. It is up to the person that wants to do it that needs to make that decision.

It is kind of like people putting a CAI on a V6 Mustang that already came from the factory with a CAI. A lot of Mustang owners will replace them with an aftermarket one because they want to. Not because they really need to.

If they re tune the computer and do some mod's then they need to put on a better CAI. Same with the drive shaft, Do some mod's to get more torque and a higher speed you need to replace the stock drive shaft.

Ronnie
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
QUESTION- If you snap your stock DS because you were going too fast, would you break just your DS or would anything else be harmed?? I'm guessing your car would just stop moving and you'd had to get towed and another DS..
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

thank you everybody that help im still going to get the one piece aluminum ds
nexts time let just keep it short answers lol
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

can i install it myself?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
thank you everybody that help im still going to get the one piece aluminum ds
nexts time let just keep it short answers lol
Go for it buddy. What ever floats your boat. Heck maybe someday I'll even buy a one piece aluminum driveshaft in case I get a hankering to travel 150 MPH.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go for it buddy. What ever floats your boat. Heck maybe someday I'll even buy a one piece aluminum driveshaft in case I get a hankering to travel 150 MPH.
not trying to go that fast maybe 120 at the most
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe this also. Please note that 2 of the failures were after market drive shafts. And I still question a drive shaft just so happening to break while someone is driving 135 with a camcorder in one hand. How stupid can a person be?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

There are much more benefits to a new driveshaft then just that.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

There are much more benefits to a new driveshaft then just that.
Very true. Lighter rotational mass and will help with your acceleration off the line. That's cool.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Quote:
125-130 max
I have the 2011 v6 premium, and idk if it cones with a different drive shaft, but I hit 140 when I got my tune
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
QUESTION- If you snap your stock DS because you were going too fast, would you break just your DS or would anything else be harmed?? I'm guessing your car would just stop moving and you'd had to get towed and another DS..
Hi TgMeyer, Google the "driving 135 with a camcorder in one hand" video. If the back falls, not much happens unless your rev limiter was removed and then you could break piston rods or cams from over redline way too fast etc.

If the front falls, well it can do body damage and drive train damage at the lest and at the most perhaps come up into the cabin in the back if you really were going fast. IIRC, the perp...errr..operator in the video got his body damage fixes.

{EDIT} Dag-Nabit, that above is for a one piece drive-shaft from my youngin' days below is what a two-piece could do{end}

Well, since it it two pieces, both things will be happenin'

The front piece likely will be floppin' about at the RPM of the end gear you are in, doing under-body damage as it goes up and down on the u-joint. The rear end piece will be doing the same from the inertia of the differential, but has that super nasty possibility of hitting something in the road that send it into the rear of the cabin.

I think only one car I can remember 40 or more years ago had a single drive shaft break at the front, hit the ground, caught in something and made the car flip. Not sure if that was from ABC wide-world of sports or another Saturday afternoon TV show covering drag racing.

The Thrill of Victory - The Agony of Defeat...was the byline of that show said in a very stepped manner on each word.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang