driveshaft or gears combo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
driveshaft or gears combo?

well i need help i dont know what to get first driveshaft one piece or the 3.73 combo
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
definitely gears.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, What are your short term goals and what are you looking to achieve with your mods?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well i dont want to break my stock shaft and goals just make it faster this car has potential
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gears.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
well i dont want to break my stock shaft and goals just make it faster this car has potential
Based upon your statement, one can draw a conclusion your very interested in traveling at high speeds such as 130 plus. This would be the only suspected reason your concern the driveshaft would break. Based on this I would go with installing a one piece aluminum driveshaft as a first mod that way you can begin your goal of high speeds. Then, go with gears.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Based upon your statement, one can draw a conclusion your very interested in traveling at high speeds such as 130 plus. This would be the only suspected reason your concern the driveshaft would break. Based on this I would go with installing a one piece aluminum driveshaft as a first mod that way you can begin your goal of high speeds. Then, go with gears.
how fast can you go with out breaking the ds if you have gears bama tune
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

125-130 max
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats kind of debatable but to be on the safer side of things, one should stay under 130 mph with stock DS. How fast do you want to go? What is your goal of top speed you want to travel?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats kind of debatable but to be on the safer side of things, one should stay under 130 mph with stock DS. How fast do you want to go? What is your goal of top speed you want to travel?
I agree, but like you said to be on the safe side.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Are we talking track or street use? Because anything around 130 should only be at the track! Saftey first.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

I agree, but like you said to be on the safe side.
Based upon the wants of the OP It sounds like he or she should spend for the one piece aluminum driveshaft first. Then go for gears. Track use of course or on an enclosed private course.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
its not a goal to go up that fast more like racing wise track or street
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Do the Drive shaft first.

Do the drive shaft and then when you get more $$$$ do the gears. The lower ratio gears will cause your drive shaft to spin faster at highway speeds. The one Piece shaft is lighter and stronger and being lighter will actually make your car seem to have more power. The Drive Shaft will also give you piece of mind. When you do put your gears in and re tune for the gears you just take off the speed limiter and enjoy.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

its not a goal to go up that fast more like racing wise track or street
Idk the way he said it made it sound like he wants to accelerate faster. Not necessarily just going fast.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I got also. Back to the post...gears or ds? Lol

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

If you want off the line speed do gears. If your more concerned with top end go ds.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
That's what I got also. Back to the post...gears or ds? Lol

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

If you want off the line speed do gears. If your more concerned with top end go ds.
Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP indicated he didn't want to break his driveshaft which to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds. if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

+1. He was a little unclear.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP stated he didn't want to break his driveshaft that to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds because if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
You also forget that there is mass hysteria at work. It seems like every v6 owner is worried about breaking his driveshaft....
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP indicated he didn't want to break his driveshaft which to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds. if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
talking about racing wise
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

You also forget that there is mass hysteria at work. It seems like every v6 owner is worried about breaking his driveshaft....
Lol. Very true. Consumers with the v6 models sure seem to be concerned about that DS exploding. I'm not worried but then again I don't plan on driving my pony at speeds of 130 plus. Now my pony may of seen triple digits every now and again but never 130 mph. Lol
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Like drag or a course
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Talking top speed wise, how fast are you looking to go. Well it's like this. If you don't plan on traveling over speeds of 130 then the stock driveshaft is perfectly fine. Go for 3:73 gears for your first mod.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol. Very true. Consumers with the v6 models sure seem to be concerned about that DS exploding. I'm not worried but then again I don't plan on driving my pony at speeds of 130 plus. Now my pony may of seen triple digits every now and again but never 130 mph. Lol
The most my pony has seen is 120, I have hit that like three times. I seem to hit 100 about once a week, but haven't done it so much in the last couple months.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Talking top speed wise, how fast are you looking to go. Well it's like this. If you don't plan on traveling over speeds of 130 then the stock driveshaft is perfectly fine. Go for 3:73 gears for your first mod.
Yep, that sums it up.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

dont get me wrong ill take to the the track but if you call me out on the street illl race but i dont know because i dont want my ds to break lol
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Like Mass hysteria is almost an understatement!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
dont get me wrong ill take to the the track but if you call me out on the street illl race but i dont know because i dont want my ds to break lol
So does that mean you want to travel at speeds excess of 130 mph?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Save up and do it all that's my goal. The other day I was cruising 60mph shifted down to 3rd hit the gas shifted in to 4th and midway through 4th I hit the speed limiter. And still had 2 more gears wtf ford. (Closed corse) I didn't buy a mustang to drive like a grandma lol
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Save up and do it all that's my goal. The other day I was cruising 60mph shifted down to 3rd hit the gas shifted in to 4th and midway through 4th I hit the speed limiter. And still had 2 more gears wtf ford. (Closed corse) I didn't buy a mustang to drive like a grandma lol
Very true. Get that performance tuner and one piece aluminum driveshaft and no more grandparents driving for you. Lol
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

We got our one piece aluminum driveshaft and sct bama performance tuner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9673U0ZJT.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	90508
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I would go drive shaft first. I did my 3.73 gears first and now Im constantly having to be conscious of my speed and acceleration. I cant (or wont rather) go to the strip, cant launch and wont go over 80 mph because Im worried about snapping my drive shaft. I may be going overboard but better safe than sorry. Now I am waiting for them to be back in stock at AM and feel like I HAVE to buy the DS now.

If you do the DS first then you can do the gears when you have the money to spend rather than feel like it is something you need to get done as soon as you can.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Smart thinking rebeltx

As we all know,
Install gears
Enjoy the faster wind up.
Feels so great do it more
More & more

Then you get this:

Nest step is to get your one piece drive shaft.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I would go drive shaft first. I did my 3.73 gears first and now Im constantly having to be conscious of my speed and acceleration. I cant (or wont rather) go to the strip, cant launch and wont go over 80 mph because Im worried about snapping my drive shaft. I may be going overboard but better safe than sorry. Now I am waiting for them to be back in stock at AM and feel like I HAVE to buy the DS now.

If you do the DS first then you can do the gears when you have the money to spend rather than feel like it is something you need to get done as soon as you can.
Can't go over 80????? Huh, Why now can't the V6 go over 80 mph with the stock driveshaft? Why can't you accelerate fast? First I thought the speed number was around 130, did someone lower that now?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't go over 80????? Huh, Why now can't the V6 go over 80 mph with the stock driveshaft? Why can't you accelerate fast? First I thought the speed number was around 130, did someone lower that now?
3.73 gears require the DS to spin faster to maintain higher speeds. when you do 80mph your RPM's sit at around 2K (estimate), mine sit at around 2.5K because of 3.73's which is the equivalent of turning your cruse control on at about 95. Im plenty safe at 80 and I know that so I dont cruse at anything higher just for safety sake. I could probably get to 100 before I was in any real danger.

I dont launch my car because It puts extra strain on the driveshaft as well. If I had stock gears then no problem but I would rather not find out the hard way that launching a car with 3.73's and radials will snap your drive shaft.

if your on stock gears then you are perfectly fine. And my methods are conservative to say the least. My numbers are not set in stone or proven, more of just a safety for my own piece of mind.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

3.73 gears require the DS to spin faster to maintain higher speeds. when you do 80mph your RPM's sit at around 2K (estimate), mine sit at around 2.5K because of 3.73's which is the equivalent of turning your cruse control on at about 95. Im plenty safe at 80 and I know that so I dont cruse at anything higher just for safety sake. I could probably get to 100 before I was in any real danger.

I dont launch my car because It puts extra strain on the driveshaft as well. If I had stock gears then no problem but I would rather not find out the hard way that launching a car with 3.73's and radials will snap your drive shaft.

if your on stock gears then you are perfectly fine. And my methods are conservative to say the least. My numbers are not set in stone or proven, more of just a safety for my own piece of mind.
Okay then. Man, I love this site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang