driveshaft or gears combo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
driveshaft or gears combo?

well i need help i dont know what to get first driveshaft one piece or the 3.73 combo
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
definitely gears.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
OP, What are your short term goals and what are you looking to achieve with your mods?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
well i dont want to break my stock shaft and goals just make it faster this car has potential
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Gears.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
well i dont want to break my stock shaft and goals just make it faster this car has potential
Based upon your statement, one can draw a conclusion your very interested in traveling at high speeds such as 130 plus. This would be the only suspected reason your concern the driveshaft would break. Based on this I would go with installing a one piece aluminum driveshaft as a first mod that way you can begin your goal of high speeds. Then, go with gears.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Based upon your statement, one can draw a conclusion your very interested in traveling at high speeds such as 130 plus. This would be the only suspected reason your concern the driveshaft would break. Based on this I would go with installing a one piece aluminum driveshaft as a first mod that way you can begin your goal of high speeds. Then, go with gears.
how fast can you go with out breaking the ds if you have gears bama tune
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

how fast can you go with out breaking the ds if you have gears bama tune
125-130 max
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

how fast can you go with out breaking the ds if you have gears bama tune
Thats kind of debatable but to be on the safer side of things, one should stay under 130 mph with stock DS. How fast do you want to go? What is your goal of top speed you want to travel?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Thats kind of debatable but to be on the safer side of things, one should stay under 130 mph with stock DS. How fast do you want to go? What is your goal of top speed you want to travel?
I agree, but like you said to be on the safe side.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Are we talking track or street use? Because anything around 130 should only be at the track! Saftey first.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

I agree, but like you said to be on the safe side.
Based upon the wants of the OP It sounds like he or she should spend for the one piece aluminum driveshaft first. Then go for gears. Track use of course or on an enclosed private course.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Thats kind of debatable but to be on the safer side of things, one should stay under 130 mph with stock DS. How fast do you want to go? What is your goal of top speed you want to travel?
its not a goal to go up that fast more like racing wise track or street
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Do the Drive shaft first.

Do the drive shaft and then when you get more $$$$ do the gears. The lower ratio gears will cause your drive shaft to spin faster at highway speeds. The one Piece shaft is lighter and stronger and being lighter will actually make your car seem to have more power. The Drive Shaft will also give you piece of mind. When you do put your gears in and re tune for the gears you just take off the speed limiter and enjoy.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

its not a goal to go up that fast more like racing wise track or street
Idk the way he said it made it sound like he wants to accelerate faster. Not necessarily just going fast.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
That's what I got also. Back to the post...gears or ds? Lol

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

If you want off the line speed do gears. If your more concerned with top end go ds.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
That's what I got also. Back to the post...gears or ds? Lol

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

If you want off the line speed do gears. If your more concerned with top end go ds.
Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP indicated he didn't want to break his driveshaft which to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds. if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
+1. He was a little unclear.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP stated he didn't want to break his driveshaft that to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds because if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
You also forget that there is mass hysteria at work. It seems like every v6 owner is worried about breaking his driveshaft....
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Yes sir. Totally agree which was why I was wondering what the goal for the OP was. When the OP indicated he didn't want to break his driveshaft which to me meant they wanted to drive at high speeds. if not high speeds why would the stock driveshaft break at normal lower speeds. So , OP how fast are you looking to travel in your pony?
talking about racing wise
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

You also forget that there is mass hysteria at work. It seems like every v6 owner is worried about breaking his driveshaft....
Lol. Very true. Consumers with the v6 models sure seem to be concerned about that DS exploding. I'm not worried but then again I don't plan on driving my pony at speeds of 130 plus. Now my pony may of seen triple digits every now and again but never 130 mph. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

talking about racing wise
Like drag or a course
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

talking about racing wise
Talking top speed wise, how fast are you looking to go. Well it's like this. If you don't plan on traveling over speeds of 130 then the stock driveshaft is perfectly fine. Go for 3:73 gears for your first mod.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Lol. Very true. Consumers with the v6 models sure seem to be concerned about that DS exploding. I'm not worried but then again I don't plan on driving my pony at speeds of 130 plus. Now my pony may of seen triple digits every now and again but never 130 mph. Lol
The most my pony has seen is 120, I have hit that like three times. I seem to hit 100 about once a week, but haven't done it so much in the last couple months.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Talking top speed wise, how fast are you looking to go. Well it's like this. If you don't plan on traveling over speeds of 130 then the stock driveshaft is perfectly fine. Go for 3:73 gears for your first mod.
Yep, that sums it up.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
dont get me wrong ill take to the the track but if you call me out on the street illl race but i dont know because i dont want my ds to break lol
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

You also forget that there is mass hysteria at work. It seems like every v6 owner is worried about breaking his driveshaft....
Like Mass hysteria is almost an understatement!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
dont get me wrong ill take to the the track but if you call me out on the street illl race but i dont know because i dont want my ds to break lol
So does that mean you want to travel at speeds excess of 130 mph?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ntbruncie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PHOENIX
Region: Arizona
Posts: 997
Save up and do it all that's my goal. The other day I was cruising 60mph shifted down to 3rd hit the gas shifted in to 4th and midway through 4th I hit the speed limiter. And still had 2 more gears wtf ford. (Closed corse) I didn't buy a mustang to drive like a grandma lol
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Save up and do it all that's my goal. The other day I was cruising 60mph shifted down to 3rd hit the gas shifted in to 4th and midway through 4th I hit the speed limiter. And still had 2 more gears wtf ford. (Closed corse) I didn't buy a mustang to drive like a grandma lol
Very true. Get that performance tuner and one piece aluminum driveshaft and no more grandparents driving for you. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
We got our one piece aluminum driveshaft and sct bama performance tuner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9673U0ZJT.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	90508
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
I would go drive shaft first. I did my 3.73 gears first and now Im constantly having to be conscious of my speed and acceleration. I cant (or wont rather) go to the strip, cant launch and wont go over 80 mph because Im worried about snapping my drive shaft. I may be going overboard but better safe than sorry. Now I am waiting for them to be back in stock at AM and feel like I HAVE to buy the DS now.

If you do the DS first then you can do the gears when you have the money to spend rather than feel like it is something you need to get done as soon as you can.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Smart thinking rebeltx

As we all know,
Install gears
Enjoy the faster wind up.
Feels so great do it more
More & more

Then you get this:


Nest step is to get your one piece drive shaft.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I would go drive shaft first. I did my 3.73 gears first and now Im constantly having to be conscious of my speed and acceleration. I cant (or wont rather) go to the strip, cant launch and wont go over 80 mph because Im worried about snapping my drive shaft. I may be going overboard but better safe than sorry. Now I am waiting for them to be back in stock at AM and feel like I HAVE to buy the DS now.

If you do the DS first then you can do the gears when you have the money to spend rather than feel like it is something you need to get done as soon as you can.
Can't go over 80????? Huh, Why now can't the V6 go over 80 mph with the stock driveshaft? Why can't you accelerate fast? First I thought the speed number was around 130, did someone lower that now?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Can't go over 80????? Huh, Why now can't the V6 go over 80 mph with the stock driveshaft? Why can't you accelerate fast? First I thought the speed number was around 130, did someone lower that now?
3.73 gears require the DS to spin faster to maintain higher speeds. when you do 80mph your RPM's sit at around 2K (estimate), mine sit at around 2.5K because of 3.73's which is the equivalent of turning your cruse control on at about 95. Im plenty safe at 80 and I know that so I dont cruse at anything higher just for safety sake. I could probably get to 100 before I was in any real danger.

I dont launch my car because It puts extra strain on the driveshaft as well. If I had stock gears then no problem but I would rather not find out the hard way that launching a car with 3.73's and radials will snap your drive shaft.

if your on stock gears then you are perfectly fine. And my methods are conservative to say the least. My numbers are not set in stone or proven, more of just a safety for my own piece of mind.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

3.73 gears require the DS to spin faster to maintain higher speeds. when you do 80mph your RPM's sit at around 2K (estimate), mine sit at around 2.5K because of 3.73's which is the equivalent of turning your cruse control on at about 95. Im plenty safe at 80 and I know that so I dont cruse at anything higher just for safety sake. I could probably get to 100 before I was in any real danger.

I dont launch my car because It puts extra strain on the driveshaft as well. If I had stock gears then no problem but I would rather not find out the hard way that launching a car with 3.73's and radials will snap your drive shaft.

if your on stock gears then you are perfectly fine. And my methods are conservative to say the least. My numbers are not set in stone or proven, more of just a safety for my own piece of mind.
Okay then. Man, I love this site.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:29 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.