stock speaker upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
stock speaker upgrade

I am looking into purchasing new speakers to put into my car to replace the stock speakers..(drive a 2011 base model v6) I've been doing my research as far as varieties, and I am kinda on the fence about whether I should get 2-way or 3-way speakers. I'm only looking to replace the speakers that are already in the car..I don't wanna add a woofer or amp to the trunk or anything like that. I also don't want to replace the head unit that came with the car. I listen to all types of music, so for my price range, I'm really looking to just get the best high's from the tweeter and a great blend of boom and punch from the woofers (I'm not trying to make my car rattle or boom for attention or anything, just a great bass sound inside that isn't overly obnoxious sounding from the outside) for all you speaker guru's out there, based off what i said above, do you have any tips or thoughts on how to maximize my sound while not breaking the bank? (I'd be looking to spend 250 at the most for the speakers.. and i've got a guy for the install so I won't be paying for that at all.) Any input would be great, thanks for the help.
dmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Iv had quite a few diff speakers in other vehicles .

Iv had Polk audio , infinity , Sony , and some off brands but the best sound vs price I had was the sony's . I'm not a fan of their Amps and subs at all though.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Do you plan on upgrading the radio in the future as well? If not, your budget is a good one for the base radio. I assume you do not have the premium sound system already; not that many sterio afficianos will rant on it, but for me it is plenty.

Make sure your installer uses speaker wire adaptors to install the aftermarket ones, rather than cut and splice the new speackers. This way you could install the original ones back in when you sell or trade in the car, then sell the upgraded speakers and get some coin back.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I installed Rockford Fosgate 3 way speakers in my doors and rear deck. The 3 way have a built in tweeter and the sound quality is WAY better you can hear the background instrumental much better. Now I just have to find a sub that will fit in the shaker housings
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
How much did the fosgate speakers run u ? If u don't mind me asking . Haven't err tried their speakers only subs and amps .
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

In my years I have put many hundreds of car stereos in peoples car. Starting in high school I ran a small audio business out of my home and eventually grew that into two full blown car audio shops and a home install truck. I have since sold this business and used the funds for school and other things. However, much of what I learned still applies to me in my career as an audio technician doing concerts and other large-scale events. I will tell you now that buying cheap speakers is a waste of money. I watched many clients disregard my advice and buy cheap speakers just to find that their radio now sounds worse than before. You have to buy quality to get quality, and in audio, quality isn’t cheap. Here are my recommendations keeping your budget in mind.

Manny manufacturers will make there cheaper speakers with knock off parts and sometimes even outsource the manufacturing all together. The companies I use DO NOT use cheaper parts to save money, they don’t cut corners to save a buck and there reputation comes before making a cheap speaker for the masses.

Recommended brands that make speakers in your price range would be Boston Acoustics, Focal, Infinity and JL Audio. Polk makes some good stuff also but there cheaper lines are just that…. Cheap. In your price range you should be able to get into a real nice pair of infinity’s or some base JL, Focal, or Boston Acoustic’s.

This is the cheapest speaker I would buy for your car. It’s made by infinity and for the price it offers some decent features. It leaves some things to be desired but for the price it cant be beat. 1” tweeter is textile which translates to crisp high end instead of sharp and piercing like many aluminum tweeters. The poly cone is the one thing that I wish was better on these. These speakers will have an ok low end response with a good punch but lacking in the overall mid range. I would call these a step up from stock for sure but they probably wont blow you away.
Infinity Reference: $130
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R860...fx.html?tp=105

This is Focal’s “base” model speaker. It has some good features but Focal is holding back here. Aluminum tweeters are not my thing so that’s a negative for me, there good for throwing high end long distances but that’s not the goal in a car.…. Focal makes speakers for home and large scale audio as well. These look just like the high/high mid driver’s I have seen in larger speaker box’s that I have flown for concerts. Focal, being a home and pro audio speaker producer, is likely modifying there other lines to go into car’s…. good speakers but not my choice in car audio.

Focal Access: $170
Focal Access 570CA1 SG 5"x7" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

This choice is for the person who wants some good kick and punch from there system. The manufacturer, JL Audio, is a HUGE name in the car audio industry, If you were buying sub woofers they make the best in the business. Because of the companies history of creating stupid amounts of bass there door and deck speaker fallow suit closely. If you want some low end these will be your best bet. The downside here is that JL lacks a little in the high/high mid range in there speakers. Basically, what you gain in low end you loose in high end and mid range clarity…. These are good speakers but still, not my choice.
JL Audio C2: $180
JL Audio C2-525X Evolution� Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

This is my speaker of choice and probably what I will put in my car once Im done with my performance mod’s. They are made by infinity and offer the best features for your money. This speaker uses a textile tweeter to provide that crisp high end that is expected from a high end speaker. In addition it uses a formed glass fiber speaker cone to help produce smooth low end and excellent mid range response. The formed glass fiber cone is a step up from the woven cones that many use now days. Woven cones are cheaper to produce but over time loose some of there clarity and do eventually wear out (talking many many years before this happens but it does happen) . These also have the best frequency response of all the speakers listed and the highest sensitivity (more volume) of the speakers listed here. The RMS range on these is also the widest meaning it will work better with more stereo units, it also lowers the risk of damage being done by overdriving the speaker. With a speaker like this, your radio is going to cause signal distortion before you get speaker distortion…. In English, that means these speakers produce better sound at high volume than your radio can actually pump out. On top of that they come with a 3 year warranty for piece of mind.
Infinity Kappa: $180
Infinity Kappa 682.11cf 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Here is a link to compare all 4 of these. I did not price shop so if you look around you may be able to beat these prices.
Compare: All Car Speakers at Crutchfield.com[COLOR="Silver"]
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
How much did the fosgate speakers run u ? If u don't mind me asking . Haven't err tried their speakers only subs and amps .
150 for 2

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
I bought from a local speaker shop
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have these installed now
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yakhjuD...ime-R1693.html
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Fosgate is the perfect example of a great company out sourcing there product. Back in the day, Rockford made some great stuff. However, with the introduction of there original P1 Sub Rockford showed it's cheap side. The originals had a cover over the magnet to make it look much bigger than in actually was. Kids fell for the trick while the pro's shook there head in disapproval. I stopped carrying Rockford for a short time and spoke to manny reps about my reasons. Those original P1 subs are now called the "prime" series of sub even though Rockford swears that the new P1 (Power) series was just redesigned and the Prime series is a new product. Either way, there full of it and are just trying to dodge the fact that they got real cheap when economic times got hard. Now days, Rockford has been rebuilding there reputation to the pro's who are wise to there tricks. They have been producing decent stuff the last few years but a little good doesn't undo the bad. It will be a few more years before I call Rockford a "choice" manufacturer again.

There new line of "prime" seem to be up to par for the price. When you buy a 3 way speaker you need an internal crossover so some money that would go to material go's to that. It's a trade off but not necessarily a bad one. I personally have not herd these newer Rockford speakers so my view is based strictly on what I have read.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I love them they are a lot better than the factory (duh) I changed them and found that one speaker on my rear deck was blown lol. I actually listened to some at the store and decided on the fosgates. A friend of mine has SPLs in his car and they sound good as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I might have misses it but what size are the door speakers and the back deck speakers?
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie
I might have misses it but what size are the door speakers and the back deck speakers?
6x9 in both locations
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
5X7, 6X8, the 6X9's will not fit without trimming.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

well, don't we all just love conflicting information
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Yea I need this info as well. I know on the old fords it was 5x7 and 6x8. Has that changed. And does ford have to install these odd sizes.
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry my bad it's 6x8. Lol
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I had Sony Xploeds in my Jetta, wasn't really too impressed with the quality I was expecting a little more. I had an 88 Olds Cutlass Calais that I dropped some rockfords into. Those were amazing! However, personally, I think the sound out of my stock system is plenty for me.
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang