Copy of keys. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Copy of keys.

Ok so I painted my key...looks nice for about 3 weeks. Now I ruined the buttons while sanding. I'm just gonna learn from the ignorance, and buy a new one. Can I get the blank key made at say, Walmart or Home Depot? I'd rather not do my local dealer. They suck at customer service and matters like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Ok so I painted my key...looks nice for about 3 weeks. Now I ruined the buttons while sanding. I'm just gonna learn from the ignorance, and buy a new one. Can I get the blank key made at say, Walmart or Home Depot? I'd rather not do my local dealer. They suck at customer service and matters like this.
Walmart should be able to make it, don't know about home depot tho
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Will a standard key work? I thought there was a chip or something inside that is required to start the car.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would by the Key off of Ebay and then take it to anyone that cuts keys.
Then you will need to program it with both of the keys that came with your car.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Will a standard key work? I thought there was a chip or something inside that is required to start the car.
You can have them made to just unlock the car or to unlock and start.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post

You can have them made to just unlock the car or to unlock and start.
Yeah the place I'm getting it from also includes instructions. I don't use the mykey feature anymore. The chip is in the inside. Not on the key part. Correct? I would take to the dealer I bought it but, damn. 2 hours for a key?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

And there Luke 400 bucks if I remember correctly... That's what my dealer said at least
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
And there Luke 400 bucks if I remember correctly... That's what my dealer said at least
I found them for 99.99. The boss 302 set is $302. I highly doubt a standard key will be over $100. I'm fine with paying that $100 too. My ignorance taught me something. Google first.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have not had to have a key made since 02 lol
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Genuine replacement key

click here>2012 Ford Mustang 4 Button remote key OEM 12 SP | Amazingkeys.com

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I found it for $99/$100. It's oem too. I'm wondering if it could be made at Home Depot or Walmart or somewhere like that. Small town, small choices. It's not like the old Taurus where they had a tiny chip in them. I think its all in the inside. I have paint mist on it and it still works fine.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
WalMart or Home Depot around here wouldn't even try to cut the key. It didn't fit in their machine. I went to the locksmith and they cut it. Only chraged me a dollar
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
WalMart or Home Depot around here wouldn't even try to cut the key. It didn't fit in their machine. I went to the locksmith and they cut it. Only chraged me a dollar
No locksmiths round here :/
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, nothing negative, but why did you paint your key?
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotors View Post
Just out of curiosity, nothing negative, but why did you paint your key?
Lawl, but seriously. A GT owner air brushed his. And it looks damn good. High high high end cars like Ferrari and some Porsches have color matched keys. It looked nice when I first did it but it wore off. I re did it. Then after that looked like crap I plasti dipped it. My God that was an amazing job for two coats. Now I peeled it off and sanded it down. I'm gonna put a race red cover over it and either live with it or order a new one. Depends on my mood toward the cover.

I'm learning that doing research is always key and ignorantly going into a project is a bad idea. Here is why....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3495114658.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	90752  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lawl, but seriously. A GT owner air brushed his. And it looks damn good. High high high end cars like Ferrari and some Porsches have color matched keys. It looked nice when I first did it but it wore off. I re did it. Then after that looked like crap I plasti dipped it. My God that was an amazing job for two coats. Now I peeled it off and sanded it down. I'm gonna put a race red cover over it and either live with it or order a new one. Depends on my mood toward the cover.

I'm learning that doing research is always key and ignorantly going into a project is a bad idea. Here is why....
Yikes! Umm don't the keys come apart??
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Read the owners manual on how to program a new key if required.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

White Lightning is my hero

I'm telling you that White Lightning is no different then I was when I was his age. He is not afraid to tackle anything he wants to do. When he does screw up he admits it and asks for help in getting things back on track. I have been following his posts since I joined this forum and admit I have learned a lot.

White You are a true "CAR GUY"

Ronnie
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx View Post

Yikes! Umm don't the keys come apart??
Yes. You can buy a new housing but with my string of bad luck with the project, I'd be minus one key

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

3 threads, and lots of advice. If only I had this before instead of during.

Don't get me wrong. It looks nice, but unless a body shop does it and clears it, its not gonna last. I just bought a red silicone cover
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Re did in black. Ill use fine sand paper then hit it one more time then glossifier. So at least if any peels through the cover, it will be black.

F- first
A- attempt
I - in
L- learning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3407519315.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	90862  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Yes. You can buy a new housing but with my string of bad luck with the project, I'd be minus one key

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

3 threads, and lots of advice. If only I had this before instead of during.

Don't get me wrong. It looks nice, but unless a body shop does it and clears it, its not gonna last. I just bought a red silicone cover
I was thinking you could've taken it apart to sand it
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was thinking you could've taken it apart to sand it
There is a pry point. But if assume its one time only glue. Any glue would possibly mess up the internals. I'm playing it safe now.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Maybe to replace the battery

It probably comes apart to change the battery. Maybe???

Ronnie
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

There is a pry point. But if assume its one time only glue. Any glue would possibly mess up the internals. I'm playing it safe now.
OK gotcha my moms jeep keys have a screw so I thought maybe the mustang keys did too, but it's probably glue or tabs
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

I'd try a local hardware store like ACE. About the only keys Homedepot likes cutting are the non chip keys. Some guys won't even cut the regular Ford Keys.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:

OK gotcha my moms jeep keys have a screw so I thought maybe the mustang keys did too, but it's probably glue or tabs
No, we're not that complicated. Chrysler loves to over complicate things. Ford Key Fobs are easy!

Coty just get a dime or nickel and it comes right off. I messed with the Fusions when I had it as a rental. Enterprise would probably charge me for that.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

I'd try a local hardware store like ACE. About the only keys Homedepot likes cutting are the non chip keys. Some guys won't even cut the regular Ford Keys.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

No, we're not that complicated. Chrysler loves to over complicate things. Ford Key Fobs are easy!

Coty just get a dime or nickel and it comes right off. I messed with the Fusions when I had it as a rental. Enterprise would probably charge me for that.
Ok I like screw because then your not just relying on the little plastic tabs to hold it together
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Ok I like screw because then your not just relying on the little plastic tabs to hold it together
It's pretty solid I've dropped a million key fobs and never had em break. They really clamp on tight like a remote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That's surprising. Have you looked in the yellow pages to be sure? People must need a locksmith sometimes and they are plentiful around Michigan anyway.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's pretty solid I've dropped a million key fobs and never had em break. They really clamp on tight like a remote
Cool!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It doesn't have a chip on the outside though. We have a Russell do it center and they cut the older style ford keys.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:

My logic! I don't want to mess up those internals. The casing is $60 while the whole new key is $100

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:

That's surprising. Have you looked in the yellow pages to be sure? People must need a locksmith sometimes and they are plentiful around Michigan anyway.
We are from Alabama. Not to sound like an idiot, but most just use a credit card or hide keys. Few years back EVERYONE thought it was a good idea to have a spare mounted somewhere. Thieves caught on and we stealing cars left and right.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote:

I dropped mine when I had the two piece key system, it broke the little thing that kept it on the key ring.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

We are from Alabama. Not to sound like an idiot, but most just use a credit card or hide keys. Few years back EVERYONE thought it was a good idea to have a spare mounted somewhere. Thieves caught on and we stealing cars left and right.
I just did a quick google search, and there is an Alabama Locksmith Association, so there must be some in the state.

Alabama Locksmith Association
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

I just did a quick google search, and there is an Alabama Locksmith Association, so there must be some in the state.

Alabama Locksmith Association
That's no bueno they also help Tennessee.. Alabama can't compromise with Tennessee since they're talking to Georgia, about moving the border back.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's no bueno they also help Tennessee.. Alabama can't compromise with Tennessee since they're talking to Georgia, about moving the border back.
That's been in the works for awhile. One of these days. As for locksmiths, no doubt there are some in Alabama. But my little town of 1,600 ish, slim to none.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Plastic dipped and then put cover over it. It's bright red, not orange. Just how my lights are in my ceiling fan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-513928338.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	91354   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1213786291.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	91355  

Name:	image-3748477846.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	91356  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Plastic dipped and then put cover over it. It's bright red, not orange. Just how my lights are in my ceiling fan.
Clone trooper or storm trooper?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang