Check Fuel Fill Inlet - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check Fuel Fill Inlet

So on my way to school this morning I looked over to my message screen to check my gas range and I notice a "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message. Before posting this thread I did my research and it said there might be some debris in the cap less filler so I checked it cleaned it up I even grabbed the nozzle that came with the car and inserted it a few times and took it out and nothing. The little seal was closed and there was no debris. Has anyone had this problem before? How we're you able to fix this issue?
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Maybe do the "system check" and see if that clears it. If not then you could always disconnect the battery for a few min. to totally reset all your sensors. I think that will clear your idle learn as well so let the car idle for 5 min after you do that.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Maybe do the "system check" and see if that clears it. If not then you could always disconnect the battery for a few min. to totally reset all your sensors. I think that will clear your idle learn as well so let the car idle for 5 min after you do that.
I did the "system check" and it still appeared. I will disconnect the battery as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully that clears it off. There's nothing I should worry about regarding the message right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There's a Ford mechanic that goes by the site name of TexasBoneKing on another Mustang site. He's mentioned that he's had to replace a few of these (under warranty), as the seal gets messed up from inserting and removing the fuel nozzle on angles, or bouncing them (nozzles) around (folks shaking the nozzle to get every last drop when the pump shuts off).

Hope this is not the case with you. If you still have a warranty, it should be covered.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There's a Ford mechanic that goes by the site name of TexasBoneKing on another Mustang site. He's mentioned that he's had to replace a few of these (under warranty), as the seal gets messed up from inserting and removing the fuel nozzle on angles, or bouncing them (nozzles) around (folks shaking the nozzle to get every last drop when the pump shuts off).

Hope this is not the case with you. If you still have a warranty, it should be covered.
Well this light just came on while I was on the road. There was a bit of a bumpy road that I took today as I was on my way to school. The speed limit is 50 and I was going about 60. (I was running late to class) the car did shake a bit since it was bumpy. After arriving at the stop light I notice the message has just came up. Think this could have caused it?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Most codes that are spontanious will clear themselves after 4 or 5 stop and restart conditions. If it stays, then of course you have a problem.

Another old trick to clearing a code is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, then reconnect. This used to clear OBDII codes in the past; not sure if it still works in the newer OBDII vehicles. This however clears all your radio channel sets, and other memory functions you may have in the vehicle.

Or, head over to a parts store. Most will read your codes for free, and clear them as well.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most codes that are spontanious will clear themselves after 4 or 5 stop and restart conditions. If it stays, then of course you have a problem.

Another old trick to clearing a code is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, then reconnect. This used to clear OBDII codes in the past; not sure if it still works in the newer OBDII vehicles. This however clears all your radio channel sets, and other memory functions you may have in the vehicle.

Or, head over to a parts store. Most will read your codes for free, and clear them as well.
Is this a serious thing to worry about? One more thing, I do have a 91 octane race tune on my car. I'm afraid the dealer will make any excuse to not cover this because I have a custom tune installed.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Well, this gets back to the never ending "discussion" on mods and warranty issues. Theres one going on now where some folks think a warranty is no big deal, and to go ahead and do what you want with mods.

Theres always a good chance that your dealership will still work with you on this repair; you'll find out when you talk to them about it if this problem persists.

What I would do is to head over to a parts store, have them do a free scan, and have them clear the code. Most automotive parts stores offer this. If the fault comes back, you'll need to repair it. Your code is part of the emmisions section. The cap (or in our Mustangs case, the seal in the neck) keeps the fumes from getting into the air we breath. The fumes get routed to the charcol canister, then eventually to the intake were they are burned. This does not rob any HP, so it's a good, clean emmisions thing. It's not engine damaging, so don't worry about that.

Also, never "top off" the fuel when fueling; when the fuel kicks off, stop, don't try to squeeze in any more fuel, as the overflow can (and eventually will) damage the charcol canaster. They are over a hundred bucks a pop. The over fueled fuel sloshes around when you drive, and gets into the charcol canister.

In your case, it sounds like the filler neck seal. Hopefully it was just a one time deal. See if you can clear the code, then drive on, and hopefully it will not set itself again.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
... as the seal gets messed up from inserting and removing the fuel nozzle on angles, or bouncing them (nozzles) around (folks shaking the nozzle to get every last drop when the pump shuts off).

Wow, Bucko; the owners manual tells you to get all the gas out of the nozzle before removing it, IIRC. Thanks for letting me know, I wont do this anymore
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Wow, Bucko; the owners manual tells you to get all the gas out of the nozzle before removing it, IIRC. Thanks for letting me know, I wont do this anymore
I believe the owners manual is refering to allowing the fuel to drain out of the nozzle, and not to shake it around the filler opening. This will for sure ruin the seal flap.

And don't over fill! When the pump clicks off the first time, stop filling! Don't keep forcing an additional one or two more times of squeezing the fuel handle. This 'extra" fuel ends up sloshing into the overflow tube (intended to allow fumes into the charcol canister), and the raw fuel ruins the charcol canister. The canister is an expensive replacement.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I believe the owners manual is refering to allowing the fuel to drain out of the nozzle, and not to shake it around the filler opening. This will for sure ruin the seal flap.

And don't over fill! When the pump clicks off the first time, stop filling! Don't keep forcing an additional one or two more times of squeezing the fuel handle. This 'extra" fuel ends up sloshing into the overflow tube (intended to allow fumes into the charcol canister), and the raw fuel ruins the charcol canister. The canister is an expensive replacement.
Yea, I stop on the first shutoff on all my cars and trucks I had. But my natural reaction to the requirement to get all the fuel out of the nozzle while still in the filler; was to shake it about and then pull it out
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
....But my natural reaction to the requirement to get all the fuel out of the nozzle while still in the filler; was to shake it about and then pull it out
Are we still talking about the Mustang?!?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Bucko is 100% correct

He did say this:
Quote:
It is not only Fords or Mustangs but all of the new cars suggest to stop filling when the pump clicks off. My 1998 Corvette book had this same information as well as My Mini Cooper JCW information.

It just ain't 1957 anymore

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

I cleared the code with my reader and so far so good.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Just an update on this issue...

After clearing the code and disconnecting the battery my CEL still came on. As it turns out it was my fault. When I put the axel back on took apart the clamps by the mid pipe( sorry not sure what its called). Anyway, the tabs didnt line up properly and so the pipe had a slight twist in it. It was a little to close to the fuel evap tube and it melted.

Im telling you guys this so you dont do the same thing. Be careful putting it back together. Ive done exhaust over 20x and this is my first bad experience. It will now cost me 470.00 to get it fixed.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Oh yeah, I was very lucky. The tech said it could have started a fire. Lesson learned!!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #17

Region: Tennessee
I just had the Check Fuel Inlet warning pop up on my 2011 GT. The car only has 17k miles but being a 2011 is probably out of warranty. My question is how much does it cost to fix and does anyone know if a dealership may goodwill it out and fix it since early it literally has no real miles on it?
GrabberblueGT50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberblueGT50 View Post
I just had the Check Fuel Inlet warning pop up on my 2011 GT. The car only has 17k miles but being a 2011 is probably out of warranty. My question is how much does it cost to fix and does anyone know if a dealership may goodwill it out and fix it since early it literally has no real miles on it?
It is an Emissions control so it still might be under warranty
Quote:
— 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic
converters, electronic engine control unit (ECU), transmission control
module (TCM), and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module
I would go to my local Ford sealer and ask.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would find the plastic funnel that you are supposed to use when adding fuel from cans (look in spare tire area) and see if that will open/clear fuel filler. Mayhap see if it goes away with battery disconnect if not and it doesn't go away I would try a locking gas cap. If they will wtty it as Siber suggested that would be great, but I doubt they will.

nice use of search!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to add goodwill with dealer is dependant on your relationship with dealer. I tend to buy oil filters from the dealer I would go to for wtty service and say hi to sales each time to build up good will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang