2:73 VS 3:31 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I drive from Orlando to Tampa at least three times a week, and with the cruise set to 75 (right at 2K RPM's), I get 27.2 average.

In the city stop and go, I average 23.4

I buy V6' for this reason (fuel economy), and by far this 3.7 V6 is the best performer to date.
I'm getting 25 MPG highway at 75 MPH, I have 3:73 gears and I rocking around 2400k rpm. For the 2 MPG less I'm getting than you, my vote would be for 3:73 not 3:31 gears. Lol.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I'm getting 25 MPG highway at 75 MPH, I have 3:73 gears and I rocking around 2400k rpm. For the 2 MPG less I'm getting than you, my vote would be for 3:73 not 3:31 gears. Lol.
Yea but youre losing that 2mpg in exchange for what? Just to say I have 3.73s? I doubt that its that much of a difference anyways. Probably like 2-3 tenths in the quarter mile. My vote is 3.31 for all around performance

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

And I really wanna keep this 7yr warranty as long as I can so yea...
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #38
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClaunch View Post
Yea but youre losing that 2mpg in exchange for what? Just to say I have 3.73s? I doubt that its that much of a difference anyways. Probably like 2-3 tenths in the quarter mile. My vote is 3.31 for all around performance
And I believe this is why Ford used this gearing in their performance package.

To each their own. Some want fuel economy, some want as much performance they can get, and others find that happy medium. For me, the 3:31's work. The 3:73's seem good too if you can get 25 MPG on the highway...I'd most likely have trouble keeping my right foot off of the drive be wire pedal though with that setup!
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Headers... Tune.... Intake I want.... Tune.... Gears.... Tune. Axle backs.... What the hell, tune... Tune I want.... Tune.

Least I can get 3.31 re calibrated and still have a stock tune for now.
At least I'm not the only one feeling the pain. I'm beginning to reget the extended warranty.

But I mean, if you do the gear swap and pay for the gears and install for the 3.31 then do another swap when the warranty is gone it just seems like a waste of money.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

That's crazy tall to e almost pushing 3,000. That's means the car is chugging gasoline.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClaunch View Post

Yea if you have 2.73 like I do and want a little more low end torque plus no tune go with the 3.31. Ford can install and recalibrate w/o losing your warrant.
I have no warranty lol I just want to get my gears as exhaust done and order the tuner and steeda intake together so I don't have to shoot Bama a request every month

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post

At least I'm not the only one feeling the pain. I'm beginning to reget the extended warranty.

But I mean, if you do the gear swap and pay for the gears and install for the 3.31 then do another swap when the warranty is gone it just seems like a waste of money.
This is why we research and ask peers for help and experience. I thought this too. What if I want more than the 3.31 and swap AGAIN to 3.55? Ill have wasted too much money. I have to replace my breather valve too and am going ahead and buying the kit from AM so everything gets replaced.

90% of us will grow comfy with the gears we have and beckon for more later. But remember, you have a class leading pony car that's a v6. It can only do so much before you have to go to the dark side of the GT.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's crazy tall to e almost pushing 3,000. That's means the car is chugging gasoline.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I have no warranty lol I just want to get my gears as exhaust done and order the tuner and steeda intake together so I don't have to shoot Bama a request every month

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

This is why we research and ask peers for help and experience. I thought this too. What if I want more than the 3.31 and swap AGAIN to 3.55? Ill have wasted too much money. I have to replace my breather valve too and am going ahead and buying the kit from AM so everything gets replaced.

90% of us will grow comfy with the gears we have and beckon for more later. But remember, you have a class leading pony car that's a v6. It can only do so much before you have to go to the dark side of the GT.
I had debated for six months or more and researched which gears should I replace my 2:73's with. I knew off the bat the 3:31 gears was not an option for me. Being that I didn't have a 5.0 I was already behind the 8 ball when it came to acceleration and performance with having the sixer. It was either 3:55 or 3:73 gears all the way. I don't track my car so 4:10's was not for me. Thankfully I listened to many of the people on the forum and pulled the trigger on 3:73. No regrets and love them. Since the install price is the same I mind as well maximize the cars full potential in acceleration, power and 3:31 gears is not going to do that. I'm only pushing 2400k rpm's at 75 mph and its chugging more gas than my 2:73 gears but I want great acceleration from my sixer more than wanting 31 mpg. To each there own but the sixer is a real power house beast with the right mods and 3:73 gears are awesome.

As far as the OP's question. I would get the 2:73 gears and if you later decide to upgrade you can just have 3:31 installed or what ever gear your want. Why pay the 400 dollars to Ford for 3:31 gears only to pay another 650.00 or 700 dollars to have 3:55 or 3:73 gears installed one year later. Just save the 400 dollars you would of given to Ford and put it towards gears later on when you know exactly what is best for your wants.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had debated for six months or more and researched which gears should I replace my 2:73's with. I knew off the bat the 3:31 gears was not an option for me. Being that I didn't have a 5.0 I was already behind the 8 ball when it came to acceleration and performance with having the sixer. It was either 3:55 or 3:73 gears all the way. I don't track my car so 4:10's was not for me. Thankfully I listened to many of the people on the forum and pulled the trigger on 3:73. No regrets and love them. Since the install price is the same I mind as well maximize the cars full potential in acceleration, power and 3:31 gears is not going to do that. I'm only pushing 2400k rpm's at 75 mph and its chugging more gas than my 2:73 gears but I want great acceleration from my sixer more than wanting 31 mpg. To each there own but the sixer is a real power house beast with the right mods and 3:73 gears are awesome.

As far as the OP's question. I would get the 2:73 gears and if you later decide to upgrade you can just have 3:31 installed or what ever gear your want. Why pay the 400 dollars to Ford for 3:31 gears only to pay another 650.00 or 700 dollars to have 3:55 or 3:73 gears installed one year later. Just save the 400 dollars you would of given to Ford and put it towards gears later on when you know exactly what is best for your wants.
I travel highway at least 2 time a month. And I'm young and trying to manage everything so every penny saved is a penny I can use somewhere else. 2,400 for a 30 minute drive is about as bad on gas as my sn95 new edge. I can plow through 80 at 2,000 so 3:55 would be max but i will never know until I get them installed. I like the 3.31 option though. I can get them retuned without a tuner just yet
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I travel highway at least 2 time a month. And I'm young and trying to manage everything so every penny saved is a penny I can use somewhere else. 2,400 for a 30 minute drive is about as bad on gas as my sn95 new edge. I can plow through 80 at 2,000 so 3:55 would be max but i will never know until I get them installed. I like the 3.31 option though. I can get them retuned without a tuner just yet
For your situation, sounds like the 3:31 will be golden. I'm only going about 7500k miles yearly and don't use my car on a daily basis. So, I completely understand where your coming from on the fuel issue. Certainly nothing wrong with 3;31 gears, gets very good acceleration yet still giving you really good fuel mpg's. If you have 3;31 gears installed the dealership can re calibrate the speed for you because the 3:31 gears are an option from Ford on the v6 models. Your good to go bro.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I just want the good acceleration yet my mpg. Oh yeah, I've heard round here that gears above 3:31 makes the odometer count miles wrong
If you have 2:73 and go to 3:31 your odometer will be off. Have Ford do it and they will recalibrate.

I'm at 2125 rpm at 75 with 3:31 automatic. I took a 250 mile road trip and got 29mpg at 70 mph.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

I feel you on the extended warranty but I'm going to talk to my dealership to take it off
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Just an fyi, i have 3:31 manual and when i road trip from MD to MI to visit family I usually get about 30mpg driving mostly 65-70mph the whole way. Best I have seen is 32mpg. My daily commute to work though I avg about 22-24mpg.
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
I feel you on the extended warranty but I'm going to talk to my dealership to take it off
It sounded like a good idea at the time and I have yet to use it. (The car has just over 40K on it). But I might have to use it in the next month or so, it sounds like my right rear strut needs replacing. Every time I hit a bump the clunk gets louder.

As far as "taking it off," I asked my dealer if that is possible and they stated that it's not pro-rated in terms of price. Meaning, they can't just see I only used 5,000 miles of the extended warranty and I have approx. 50k left so they would cut me a check for the rest of the remaining warranty I didn't use. (If that makes sense) From what I understood, I bought it when I bought my car and that's that. If I were to trade in the Mustang for another car, the extended warranty would continue on with the new car for the remainder of the miles left on it.

Let us know if you find out something different, I'm interested to hear what your deal says.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It sounded like a good idea at the time and I have yet to use it. (The car has just over 40K on it). But I might have to use it in the next month or so, it sounds like my right rear strut needs replacing. Every time I hit a bump the clunk gets louder.

As far as "taking it off," I asked my dealer if that is possible and they stated that it's not pro-rated in terms of price. Meaning, they can't just see I only used 5,000 miles of the extended warranty and I have approx. 50k left so they would cut me a check for the rest of the remaining warranty I didn't use. (If that makes sense) From what I understood, I bought it when I bought my car and that's that. If I were to trade in the Mustang for another car, the extended warranty would continue on with the new car for the remainder of the miles left on it.

Let us know if you find out something different, I'm interested to hear what your deal says.
I just got my car on the 21 on feb I took the car off the lot with 25miles now I have 800 and something, but I still haven't got plates to the car yet and I want to take extended warranty off because I will be modding my car

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote:

I just got my car on the 21 on feb I took the car off the lot with 25miles now I have 800 and something, but I still haven't got the plates to the car yet and I want to take off the extended warranty off because I will be modding my car
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U can cancel the extended warranty anytime just go to the dealer & tell them u want to cancel it. The amount given back depends on how much of the warranty is "left" so the sooner it's done the better. I did it on my totaled 2012 & they just deducted it from my remaining balance!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

U can cancel the extended warranty anytime just go to the dealer & tell them u want to cancel it. The amount given back depends on how much of the warranty is "left" so the sooner it's done the better. I did it on my totaled 2012 & they just deducted it from my remaining balance!
Yes so I can still do it lol?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes so I can still do it lol?
Yup just go to your dealer & tell them u want to cancel your extended warranty & that's pretty much it! Haha.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Yup just go to your dealer & tell them u want to cancel your extended warranty & that's pretty much it! Haha.
Would my Payments go Down?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
we regret our 331 gears in our auto 2013 perf pkg v6.

it surely feels a bit better off the line, but the RPM sacrifice on the hwy is annoying. here in az, 75 mph is right lane traffic. Personally, anything over 70mph in our car really starts tearing away the MPG.

in 7000 miles, 75% hwy, our car is only getting 20.8 mpg. we are generally nice to it, but on the hwy its 75-80 and it just tanks.
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So some of you are getting 25mpg hwy with 3.73 gears? That doesn't make any sense. Even with all bolt on mods and a tune you still wouldn't be in the stock GT performance range. If you get the V6 seams you should at least get yourself some decent milage otherwise what's the point.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post

it surely feels a bit better off the line, but the RPM sacrifice on the hwy is annoying. here in az, 75 mph is right lane traffic. Personally, anything over 70mph in our car really starts tearing away the MPG.

in 7000 miles, 75% hwy, our car is only getting 20.8 mpg. we are generally nice to it, but on the hwy its 75-80 and it just tanks.
I have 3:73 gears and my time on highway is 75 MPH and I'm getting way better than 20 MPG. Granted I'm using 91 or higher octane but 20.8 MPG with 3:31 gears. Damn!!!!!!! Perhaps your driving it like you stole it. Lol
Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Only 7K miles on the engine? You know my 2012 manual was getting poor'ish milage pre 10k. I was getting 20 mpg avg and around 26-27 hwy. I also had 2.73 gears and didn't really push it too hard either.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

its an automatic.

its gets 35+mpg if we are on roads with no lights doing 40-47mph.
it will sit at 29-30mpg if I set cruise on the hwy at 65 but that pisses everyone off, me included.

75-80 the instant fuel and the minute gauges show its sitting right at 20mpg.

2k rpms really is the cutoff for good mpg
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
its an automatic.

its gets 35+mpg if we are on roads with no lights doing 40-47mph.
it will sit at 29-30mpg if I set cruise on the hwy at 65 but that pisses everyone off, me included.

75-80 the instant fuel and the minute gauges show its sitting right at 20mpg.

2k rpms really is the cutoff for good mpg
Have you had the oil changed from when you bought it? It is a new car right? That seam strange considering the autos get better mpg than the manuals now.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

oil has been changed at 500, 1000, and 5000 miles.

its has an airaid and a catback. both of which should have helped it out a bit. we really dont drive it hard. I have a z06 for that
Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I assume you done manual calculations of your mpg?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

we have on short and long trips. neither were very far off the cars calc
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I have the 3.31 rear end and I drive 100% city, constant stop and go. I am averaging 20.3 MPG and I go WOT at least once a day. But I do have a 6 spd manual so I can shift at low RPMs.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

its has an airaid and a catback. both of which should have helped it out a bit. we really dont drive it hard. I have a z06 for that
Wait... you have a freakn z06!!! :-/ thats my dream car...
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh no air raid and axle backs for me then. I go up and down a mountain twice a week and 80 on the freeway daily and will get 22 mpg. If its straight freeway I've gotten 29mpg. Auto 3:32. 7000 miles.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Oh no air raid and axle backs for me then. I go up and down a mountain twice a week and 80 on the freeway daily and will get 22 mpg. If its straight freeway I've gotten 29mpg. Auto 3:32. 7000 miles.
80mph = 2250 rpm
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

80mph = 2250 rpm
80 = 2500k rpm with 3:73 gears. Not sure how much more fuel one is burning with 3:73 gears compared to 3:31 gears. 2500 is not that more than 2250 at 80 mph. Now 2:73 gears at 80 = 1900 rpm.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post

Only 7K miles on the engine? You know my 2012 manual was getting poor'ish milage pre 10k. I was getting 20 mpg avg and around 26-27 hwy. I also had 2.73 gears and didn't really push it too hard either.
Same boat! 2013 v6 2.73 20mpg and not redlining every shift. If I drive it very conservativly maybe 24-25 average.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

80 = 2500k rpm with 3:73 gears. Not sure how much more fuel one is burning with 3:73 gears compared to 3:31 gears. 2500 is not that more than 2250 at 80 mph. Now 2:73 gears at 80 = 1900 rpm.
I wonder what the 2:73 gears would be rpm wise if they held it in 5th gear. Then try 4th gear.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ever pencil and paper the mpg? Or reset the mpg counter. I was once told by that computer I was getting 16.6 mpg on the highway at 65mph. Stupid computer. I want that annoying bump and stall feeling gone is why and anything over 3.31 is a gas chugger to me unless I drove mostly city
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #70
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I have 3:73 gears and my time on highway is 75 MPH and I'm getting way better than 20 MPG. Granted I'm using 91 or higher octane but 20.8 MPG with 3:31 gears. Damn!!!!!!! Perhaps your driving it like you stole it. Lol
Or, he is not resetting it after every tank fill up.

If you drive the highway for several tank fillups without resetting the MPG indicator, it will continue to show a high MPG average. If you drive highway, then a day or two of city, your average MPG will drop, and stay at that reading, even after a day or two of highway driving, as you are getting an average MPG reading.

You should reset the MPG reading after every fill up to obtain a true, day to day indication of your MPG reading.

See your owners manual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang