Packages - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Packages

Hey, folks. First time poster, new member.

I will be purchasing a 2013-14 V6 Premium in about 2-3 months. I have pretty much decided on colour and interior, also the "main" package. (If you're curious, either D.I. Blue w/pony package or race red w/MCA package... Mostly due to rim colour/exterior paint looks... Saddle leather with both)

What I'm still undecided on is the smaller features: nav, performance, security/reverse, glass roof, that sort of thing.

So... I'd love some advice hearing what you all think. Any packages/features you find absolutely mandatory? Are the ones you decided on worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lem
Lemonart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonart View Post
Hey, folks. First time poster, new member.

I will be purchasing a 2013-14 V6 Premium in about 2-3 months. I have pretty much decided on colour and interior, also the "main" package. (If you're curious, either D.I. Blue w/pony package or race red w/MCA package... Mostly due to rim colour/exterior paint looks... Saddle leather with both)

What I'm still undecided on is the smaller features: nav, performance, security/reverse, glass roof, that sort of thing.

So... I'd love some advice hearing what you all think. Any packages/features you find absolutely mandatory? Are the ones you decided on worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lem
I am going to be the first to say it lol. For the price of a loaded premium v6 you can get a 5.0. If I was you that's what I would do. That being said I love my 3.7, but if I had the extra cash and I wasn't driving 250-300 miles a day I would've gotten the 5.0.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Lol... considered and passed on already, but we're thinking alike. It's my everyday car (or will be). Lots of city driving, lots of gas. While I dig the 5.0, I feel a loaded V6 will be easier to live with day to day... Plus I've driven a V6 on many occasions and they fit me just fine .

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It was definitely something I did consider.

Lem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol... considered and passed on already, but we're thinking alike. It's my everyday car (or will be). Lots of city driving, lots of gas. While I dig the 5.0, I feel a loaded V6 will be easier to live with day to day... Plus I've driven a V6 on many occasions and they fit me just fine .

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It was definitely something I did consider.

Lem
I will say this . I talked to a friend not too long ago and she is getting around 30 mpg Hwy in her 5.0. Lol but its your decision and my 3.7 has plenty of power for a DD. But I will be putting FI on it sooner or later.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Welcome!

The Nav in My last ford was rarely used in 3 years... And was out of date quickly. That's why you have a smartphone!!

While some will disagree... I have the backup camera and security package. The camera really helps (screen in the mirror). I've backed into spots for 20 years... But having this really ensures safety (kids/PETA/property). It is disappointing that you can't get a GT500 style spoiler with it... But there are some creative folks that carved one up and made it work while looking factory.

Good luck!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

30 mpg isn't bad at all for the V8. But it can't beat 42 . And, not sure where you live, but I'm assuming you're in the USA. In Canada gas is stuuuuupid compared to you guys. Sad fact .

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Black on Black... So getting back to topic, what did you end up putting in your 3.7?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

The really f'd up irony is you get a huge share of oil from us... Go figure. Anyways... Packages! Lol
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
30 mpg isn't bad at all for the V8. But it can't beat 42 . And, not sure where you live, but I'm assuming you're in the USA. In Canada gas is stuuuuupid compared to you guys. Sad fact .

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Black on Black... So getting back to topic, what did you end up putting in your 3.7?
What do you mean by that ? I have roush Cai, lethal performance O/R H-pipe, pypes pype-bomb axle back, Bama tune
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I meant as far as factory options.

Lem
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'd disagree about the 5.0 don't get me wrong nothing beats the sound of the v8 but a base 5.0 is so cheap looking. I'm shocked people buy stangs without interior upgrade. Heck a guy at my work has a 2010 convertible v6 base and spent the extra money for stripes and the automatic....it looks like absolute crap next to mine. I have the premium pckg with an MCA grille and OEM hids (now standard). Interior I have black leather and the interior upgrade Pckg....the aluminum looking dash and the leather and nicer gauges make it a whole different car inside and the my colour lights are a plus. Then there is sync which is my favorite thing about the package.

Ditch the Nav and glass roof...way overpriced. Opt for a performance Pckg I wish I got that. You get performance goodies and nicer wheels for a fair price.

The extras make a car substantial. A base model gt looks like crap inside and out compared to a fully loaded v6. There. I said it. If you don't care about having a nice interior and wheels etc then get a fox body with a crazy motor or a terminator cobra! 305hp kills pretty much all the v8 muscle cars of the 90s. Its plenty of power. Unless you absolutely need that v8 rumble there is no excuse to bash the 3.7. I can't stand people with 220hp v8 cars laughing at our v6s....plain ignorance. Its a shame really the cyclone is a brilliant engine.

I wasn't even in the market for a mustang I wanted a Nissan z with a 6cyl. This new engine brought me to mustang...the commercial "first 30mpg 305hp v6"
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

And the performance pack, but the main reason I got that is bc of the rims.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lem
Just to let you know our 3.7 has almost the same power as a 10 GT! Cheaper on gas and insurance and if you do gears, tune and Cai to start its a v6 rocket! Don't get me wrong I love the new 5.0 but its not practical for me with the added cost. You can have a lot of fun with the v6 and with it loaded it would awesome!

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:

Lem

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

The really f'd up irony is you get a huge share of oil from us... Go figure. Anyways... Packages! Lol
How are you getting 42 mpg? Do tell! I get 12L/ 100 km. That's a mix of highway,city and traffic...oh yeah and a pretty heavy right foot! : )
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, some great advice so far. Let's tall about Nav for a second. To clarify, it does NOT include myford touch, right? Simply navigation? Any other goodies at all? Can Sync without the screen still provide destination/weather info?

Ford's page isn't the most transparent when it comes to digital features that I can find.

Anyways, the only other reason I was thinking about it was to break up the dash. The mustang stock dash isn't the best looking thing in the world. But it's not a deal breaker.

Lem

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I'm going by the advertising literature that states 45mpg hwy. I realize that will be lower in real life. But still beats out the 5.0.

Lem
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, some great advice so far. Let's tall about Nav for a second. To clarify, it does NOT include myford touch, right? Simply navigation? Any other goodies at all? Can Sync without the screen still provide destination/weather info?

Ford's page isn't the most transparent when it comes to digital features that I can find.

Anyways, the only other reason I was thinking about it was to break up the dash. The mustang stock dash isn't the best looking thing in the world. But it's not a deal breaker.

Lem

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I'm going by the advertising literature that states 45mpg hwy. I realize that will be lower in real life. But still beats out the 5.0.

Lem
45 mpg is unrealistic in everyday driving! If I baby it I can maybe get 31-32 in mixed driving! Some people are obsessed with trying to get ridiculous mpg and go to great lengths to try and get it, to them I say buy a prius. Your driving a mustang!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that. But my insatiable lust for performance must be offset by reality. In reality I will probably hit between 30-35 mpg in the V6. In a 5.0 I suspect 22-27. Significant considering I want to balance performance with every-dayness.

I feel we're not discussing what my original question was lol. I'm simply concerned with packages for the V6. I want to know what ppl bought and why they love them or should have taken a pass.

I say this with respect: I'm not concerned with fuel consumption data on V6 vs V8. Nor am I concerned with which one is better. I'm getting a V6. It's decided. Done deal.

Now... Package thoughts please .

Lem
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I understand that. But my insatiable lust for performance must be offset by reality. In reality I will probably hit between 30-35 mpg in the V6. In a 5.0 I suspect 22-27. Significant considering I want to balance performance with every-dayness.

I feel we're not discussing what my original question was lol. I'm simply concerned with packages for the V6. I want to know what ppl bought and why they love them or should have taken a pass.

I say this with respect: I'm not concerned with fuel consumption data on V6 vs V8. Nor am I concerned with which one is better. I'm getting a V6. It's decided. Done deal.

Now... Package thoughts please .

Lem
Great choice! Imo I think the nav option is way over priced! The pp is a great option imo depending what your long term goals
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. My big question about the PP is how it affects the ride. One of the things I loved about the stock mustang was that I could literally drive in it for 12 hours on a road trip, get out, and feel fine... No odd backaches or anything.

I love the idea of the PP, but how much comfort does it take away? Minimal or tons?

Lem
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I found the perf PACk fairly comfortable compared to standard v6. But I prefer a firmer ride. I think you can stream directions through your phone via blue tooth. I get 22 mpg in mixed driving. The my key feature I never use. Sync likewise maybe to stream radio shows to radio or make calls. In winter the comfort package is a plus
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, Let's start out by asking you besides gas, what is it your looking for in your mustang? This is a individual question that only you can answer. The true performance V8 guy is always going to tell you to buy the 5.0 even if it only came with one door, roll up windows and no air conditioning because the only thing that matters is, its a V8 and how fast it goes. If Ford tomorrow made a 405 HP V6 the V8 guys would still say buy the V8. That's cool if that's your thing.

Do you plan to track your car? Depending on how you answer I would say the performance package is a great investment. If your not going to track your car, don't waste the $1700 dollars on the PP. Want more acceleration and still great MPG, get the 3:31 gears for 400 dollars from the factory. I think the leather seats are way nicer than the cloth and more comfortable for those longer commutes. I would get a back up camera. I would get the sync system. I am not a fan of the MCA pony package but that's just a personal preference. With the right gears (3:73) the 13 V6 is just as quick as a stock 10 Gt that came with 3:15 gears and that was the cats meow back in 2010.
A bare bones base 5.0 with absolutely nothing extra other than automatic is going to run you around 30k. That comes with cloth, manual seats. A loaded V6 will run you about the same, which will include, leather seats, power package, back up camera, upgraded gears, sync package,
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP, Let's start out by asking you besides gas, what is it your looking for in your mustang? This is a individual question that only you can answer. The true performance V8 guy is always going to tell you to buy the 5.0 even if it only came with one door, roll up windows and no air conditioning because the only thing that matters is, its a V8 and how fast it goes. If Ford tomorrow made a 405 HP V6 the V8 guys would still say buy the V8. That's cool if that's your thing.

Do you plan to track your car? Depending on how you answer I would say the performance package is a great investment. If your not going to track your car, don't waste the $1700 dollars on the PP. Want more acceleration and still great MPG, get the 3:31 gears for 400 dollars from the factory. I think the leather seats are way nicer than the cloth and more comfortable for those longer commutes. I would get a back up camera. I would get the sync system. I am not a fan of the MCA pony package but that's just a personal preference. With the right gears (3:73) the 13 V6 is just as quick as a stock 10 Gt that came with 3:15 gears and that was the cats meow back in 2010.
A bare bones base 5.0 with absolutely nothing extra other than automatic is going to run you around 30k. That comes with cloth, manual seats. A loaded V6 will run you about the same, which will include, leather seats, power package, back up camera, upgraded gears, sync package,
You're right, it's about what I'm looking for. I love performance, but the V8 bare bones seems less attractive than a loaded V6 for everyday use anyways.

Anyhow, I guess, as I've been thinking about it is... Perf pack or not. Electronics/nav or not. The 3.73 gear ratio seems like it might be a happy compromise to give me a little more boost in acceleration. Does anyone with the 3.73 option see any severe gas consumption disadvantages?

Lem
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 2012 v6 and by far my favorite package on it is the performance package. It comes with tons of suspension upgrades, good looking rims, a slightly higher 3.31 rear end and better brakes. Driving my friends base model v6 truly feels completely different in terms of handling acceleration and braking. Not that his is bad by any means. I just never realized the difference the performance package made
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
I have a 2012 v6 and by far my favorite package on it is the performance package. It comes with tons of suspension upgrades, good looking rims, a slightly higher 3.31 rear end and better brakes. Driving my friends base model v6 truly feels completely different in terms of handling acceleration and braking. Not that his is bad by any means. I just never realized the difference the performance package made
3:31 is a lower gear ratio. The higher the number the lower the ratio.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
I'd disagree about the 5.0 don't get me wrong nothing beats the sound of the v8 but a base 5.0 is so cheap looking. I'm shocked people buy stangs without interior upgrade. Heck a guy at my work has a 2010 convertible v6 base and spent the extra money for stripes and the automatic....it looks like absolute crap next to mine. I have the premium pckg with an MCA grille and OEM hids (now standard). Interior I have black leather and the interior upgrade Pckg....the aluminum looking dash and the leather and nicer gauges make it a whole different car inside and the my colour lights are a plus. Then there is sync which is my favorite thing about the package.

Ditch the Nav and glass roof...way overpriced. Opt for a performance Pckg I wish I got that. You get performance goodies and nicer wheels for a fair price.

The extras make a car substantial. A base model gt looks like crap inside and out compared to a fully loaded v6. There. I said it. If you don't care about having a nice interior and wheels etc then get a fox body with a crazy motor or a terminator cobra! 305hp kills pretty much all the v8 muscle cars of the 90s. Its plenty of power. Unless you absolutely need that v8 rumble there is no excuse to bash the 3.7. I can't stand people with 220hp v8 cars laughing at our v6s....plain ignorance. Its a shame really the cyclone is a brilliant engine.

I wasn't even in the market for a mustang I wanted a Nissan z with a 6cyl. This new engine brought me to mustang...the commercial "first 30mpg 305hp v6"
Love that commercial!! That's why I got gray!
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Tech package and the performance package are what I got. However, I really wish I had gotten the navigation package with the big ol' screen! I absolutely LOVE sync!!! It's probably one of my favorite things about my Mustang! But I love music and listen to it allllll the time. Just my .02
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
30 miles to a gallon in a v8 give me a break. Only if you do 60 on the highway with the cruse on and no city driving.
13Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Electronics package is more than just the Nav, for me it was a no brainer just for the ETAC. The built in hard drive is nice also, but the wife does not get to freeze me out in the summer or burn me up in the winter now since she has her own temperature controls.
Mine is a Mustang Club of America, Comfort Package, Performance package, Security Package and Electronics Package. The only thing it did not have that I wanted was the back up Camera and it has the spoiler on it now, just have to make the harness to make it work.
The only drawback of the Performance Package is you will need a set of winter tires (guessing the way you spell Colour you might be in Canada). The ride for me is not bad, I have driven my car on 8 to 10 hour stints without any ill effects, and I have a bad back already.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

OP, The performance package is totally worth it depending on how you plan to drive your pony. For 1700 dollars you get the 18 inch tires, GT suspension and 3:31 gears. I feel the suspension on the base model without the PP is great. I don't auto x or track my pony. I get in my pony, drive on a rural road, get on the highway, set cruise control and drive straight. I can do this just fine with my 17 inch tires instead of 18 or 19 inch tires and without a GT suspension. Now you can opt to get just 3:31 gears for an extra 400 which you will definitely notice a difference in kick from the 2:73 gears. If you plan on putting 3:55 or 3:73 gears in the future, then save the 400 dollars and put that money towards the new gears.

You may like the wheels much better with the performance package or pony package over what comes with the base model. I know the standard, base wheels on a 5.0 are hideous looking and ugly with a capital U. I personally like the base wheels on the V6 model but you may not.

Since your commuting with your pony then comfort should be a big thing and having the leather seats over cloth is a must. I personally think having a back up camera is worth every penny but that's just my opinion. The real way for you to tell is go drive a pony without the PP and then drive one with the PP and see which you like more.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, I think I'm at the point where I'll need to hop behind a wheel and compare. I agree with you about the rims. I like base model V6 rims, but 17 is small for my liking. The 18's are great! TBH I'm not sure how I feel about the 19's. they look fine but sometimes I think they look a little too race-y for everyday driving.

Very astute observation on how I spell "colour" lol. I am from Canada but I live in Toronto so winter tires aren't really necessary here. We get a nice dumping of snow maybe two or three times in jan/feb, but that's it and it tends to melt fast.

Loving all the suggestions so far! Leather is, indeed, a must! Where I first fell in love with a mustang was last year when I rented one and drove the entirety of old Route 66. Sync was awesome, leather was awesome, factory shaker stereo was very well done (and I work in music production).

Quick question... Can someone describe the difference between the nav computer in the mustang vs. fords new "myford touch" thing? Also, does anyone know what nav data they pull from? (Tomtom, garmin, etc.)

Lem
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
you are better off getting a base mustang i got a base mustang tore it apart and upgraded everything. save extra cash and upgrade all factory stuff better then the premium you can get leather seats for 400 bucks why pay few thousand for it
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a huge upgrader/tinkerer. I'm not tracking this car, just city driving and will eventually want good resale.

For me the Premium has all the comfort features I want, plus cool things like mycolor and pony projector lamps. Gotta enjoy SOME eye candy .

Lem
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post
you are better off getting a base mustang i got a base mustang tore it apart and upgraded everything. save extra cash and upgrade all factory stuff better then the premium you can get leather seats for 400 bucks why pay few thousand for it
Where did you buy your leather seats for 400 dollars?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Go to ebay, go to Roush's take-off store. Sometimes they sell them for $350. They're skins, so you'll need to strip your seat and install these over it.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya, I think I'm at the point where I'll need to hop behind a wheel and compare. I agree with you about the rims. I like base model V6 rims, but 17 is small for my liking. The 18's are great! TBH I'm not sure how I feel about the 19's. they look fine but sometimes I think they look a little too race-y for everyday driving.

Very astute observation on how I spell "colour" lol. I am from Canada but I live in Toronto so winter tires aren't really necessary here. We get a nice dumping of snow maybe two or three times in jan/feb, but that's it and it tends to melt fast.

Loving all the suggestions so far! Leather is, indeed, a must! Where I first fell in love with a mustang was last year when I rented one and drove the entirety of old Route 66. Sync was awesome, leather was awesome, factory shaker stereo was very well done (and I work in music production).

Quick question... Can someone describe the difference between the nav computer in the mustang vs. fords new "myford touch" thing? Also, does anyone know what nav data they pull from? (Tomtom, garmin, etc.)

Lem
If you think the 18's are great then the PP is the way to go.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

In Canada the PP only comes with the 19's.

Lem
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It is not so much the snow, the summer only tires suck below 40F, or 4 or 5C, I live in Tennessee and we might get 3 or 4 inches here a year, but the freezing fog with just wet roads it was like driving on Hockey Pucks, not much traction and cornering was a bear, let alone taking off from a red light so I bought a set of Roush take offs for mine. Just the Stock all season tires but they get me around when it is cold.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Siber. I don't have much experience with summer tires. This is useful info!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang