Food for thought - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Food for thought

Ok I was on a late night run and noticed something. My car goes 115 on a stock tune. I could squeeze 120 out of it but I got scared.( Gas didn't cut out)

Now what I'm really pondering on, if and when I put gears in sometime this year, would I be out closer or farther away from the 113 mph limit. I know we recalibrate with the tuner but I'm looking at it as far as the force on the driveshaft, is it the same or will it be altered?

Pic I captured (yes I know, hazard) but its proof that mine goes beyond the supposed 113.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100609651.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	91353  
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When I had my 2012 I know i hit 115mph stock one time thats why I thought it was weird that they say its limited to 113mph.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I posted this in a thread somewhere... At any given speed, you're turning more rpms on the driveshaft with shorter gears. Now, it doesn't really matter until you get into 5th and 6th gears. In 4th, the engine rpm is the driveshaft rpm (that gear is 1:1).

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I posted this in a thread somewhere... At any given speed, you're turning more rpms on the driveshaft with shorter gears. Now, it doesn't really matter until you get into 5th and 6th gears. In 4th, the engine rpm is the driveshaft rpm (that gear is 1:1).
I knew we all talked about it but won't gears put more a stress on the shaft. Not at a cruising speed per say but having fun with it.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I knew we all talked about it but won't gears put more a stress on the shaft. Not at a cruising speed per say but having fun with it.
No. If anything gears make it easier to do work on the tires since the gears are a torque multiplier in the rear diff.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post

No. If anything gears make it easier to do work on the tires since the gears are a torque multiplier in the rear diff.
Excuse my ignorance on the matter. But when I read torque multiplier, I think harder work. Or are you saying the shorter gears make the work easier by multiplying the load for less
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Yes with shorter gears your DS is going to be spinning quicker. With 3.73 gears and stock DS I wouldn't go over the stock limiter.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Yes with shorter gears your DS is going to be spinning quicker. With 3.73 gears and stock DS I wouldn't go over the stock limiter.
What I'm thinking is at those speeds, would it be spinning faster than the speed of the 113 mph. Which btw, what gears were in when those shafts blew. Lets say you go 130. Would it be spinning at the speed of the legendary 135 mph and snap or no? It you get what I'm saying.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Ok I was on a late night run and noticed something. My car goes 115 on a stock tune. I could squeeze 120 out of it but I got scared.( Gas didn't cut out)

Now what I'm really pondering on, if and when I put gears in sometime this year, would I be out closer or farther away from the 113 mph limit. I know we recalibrate with the tuner but I'm looking at it as far as the force on the driveshaft, is it the same or will it be altered?

Pic I captured (yes I know, hazard) but its proof that mine goes beyond the supposed 113.
One time on the closed freeway i was driving on i hit 125 i could do it again if i honestly wanted to but don't wanna try my luck again. Im on a Bamma tune tho! I thought they left the governor on if i don't have a new DS
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I recall one of the Video's of the drive Shaft breaking was around 120 on the dyno, he had 3.73 gears also and it was on Deceleration.
The weakness is the Harmonics the Metal gives off, certain RPM on the drive shaft gives off the harmonics that weakens the metal causing it to break. 1 of the reasons you want a Drive shaft Balanced at a higher RPM, but Balancing at load stress are a completely different animal.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

One time on the closed freeway i was driving on i hit 125 i could do it again if i honestly wanted to but don't wanna try my luck again. Im on a Bamma tune tho! I thought they left the governor on if i don't have a new DS
It's an option
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine has no upgrades under the hood and mine will top out at 120.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I recall one of the Video's of the drive Shaft breaking was around 120 on the dyno, he had 3.73 gears also and it was on Deceleration.
The weakness is the Harmonics the Metal gives off, certain RPM on the drive shaft gives off the harmonics that weakens the metal causing it to break. 1 of the reasons you want a Drive shaft Balanced at a higher RPM, but Balancing at load stress are a completely different animal.
I'm not worried about the video. I'm wondering what ford says the shaft will break at and what gear ratio did they use to confirm this. I'm getting 3.55 and I plan on traveling these speeds at times.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's an option
No its actually not. They will enable it or disable it if u say u do or do not have a stock DS check the tune question list.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote:

I'm not worried about the video. I'm wondering what ford says the shaft will break at and what gear ratio did they use to confirm this. I'm getting 3.55 and I plan on traveling these speeds at times.
Just get a custom drive shaft made. Me n my buddy are getting ones made for us. 300 for us
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

No its actually not. They will enable it or disable it if u say u do or do not have a stock DS check the tune question list.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Just get a custom drive shaft made. Me n my buddy are getting ones made for us. 300 for us
Do you trust someone to just make it? I would think spending double that from American Muscle may be worth it. You know AM is going to sell top quality driveshaft that fits perfect.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Do you trust someone to just make it? I would think spending double that from American Muscle may be worth it. You know AM is going to sell top quality driveshaft that fits perfect.
+1000
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Do i trust someone who builds 900HP engines for a daily job....yes, yes i do. I trust him with my car and all my friends trust him with their cars. He's worked for ford, chevy, audi and private contracting for the military all being a mechanic fixing and rebuilding engines and everything else that makes the tires move.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't have a tuner bud.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Quote:

Do i trust someone who builds 900HP engines for a daily job....yes, yes i do. I trust him with my car and all my friends trust him with their cars. He's worked for ford, chevy, audi and private contracting for the military all being a mechanic fixing and rebuilding engines and everything else that makes the tires move.
Great for you. Ill spend my money on the people who sponsor this.

Also I forgot to add, if they ask do you have a stock shaft or not as to the limiter; that means its an option technically.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't have a tuner bud.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Great for you. Ill spend my money on the people who sponsor this.

Also I forgot to add, if they ask do you have a stock shaft or not as to the limiter; that means its an option technically.
If the limiter was a option then it would have its own drop down menu id assume
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

That's cool bro. Your fortunate to have someone like that who you know and trust they will make a great solid driveshaft that will withstand speeds of 135 plus. For me and maybe others here on the forum don't have someone they know who can trust to do that. I just don't know someone who can make them. Maybe your buddy will make me a one piece aluminum driveshaft for my 11 pony and mail it to me. 300 is a great price for a great quality one piece aluminum driveshaft.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

That's cool bro. Your fortunate to have someone like that who you know and trust they will make a great solid driveshaft that will withstand speeds of 135 plus. For me and maybe others here on the forum don't have someone they know who can trust to do that. I just don't know someone who can make them. Maybe your buddy will make me a one piece aluminum driveshaft for my 11 pony and mail it to me. 300 is a great price for a great quality one piece aluminum driveshaft.
If u pay for it i honestly don't see why not? Just pay the 300 and then the shipping cost which would prolly be minimal
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just curious, what's the error in the speedometer on our cars? Older models are within 10%. These new ones calibrate each drive cycle and the outer diameter of the tires are slightly different with models and wear so the rpms per mile differ based on that. Shouldn't we be talking about driveshaft rpm and not just top speed?

Not to throw rocks, just wondering...
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Just curious, what's the error in the speedometer on our cars? Older models are within 10%. These new ones calibrate each drive cycle and the outer diameter of the tires are slightly different with models and wear so the rpms per mile differ based on that. Shouldn't we be talking about driveshaft rpm and not just top speed?

My Speedo is almost correct with the 27.6 inch 225/60 17's (winter tires), so it is off with the stock 27.2 inch 255/40 19 by a bit, both with a GPS which is pretty close checking it with Radar Trailers on more than 1 occasion.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So, back to the question at hand...... With my 3.73 gears I can see a pretty big difference in RPM vs speed. Obviously it now takes more RPM to hold a desired speed. I have done 100 on mine with 3.73 gears, I figure it equals out to around 115 if I were stock. I don't think I would push much over that speed on the stock DS personally. But what your thinking as far as taller gears=more RPM and more RPM=more stress or likelihood of vibration is correct. So, in a round about way, the taller gears will put you at more risk of snapping a DS..... That's the way I understand it at least
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You know I've wondered this too. Look to the right, left, and dead center of the gauge. You'll be off 5 mph in every direction except dead on. But you don't sit dead on so it center right, or is the seat position right?

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Actually, you've got more the point that I could. I'm complementing this with gears. So there is your topic lol

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
So, back to the question at hand...... With my 3.73 gears I can see a pretty big difference in RPM vs speed. Obviously it now takes more RPM to hold a desired speed. I have done 100 on mine with 3.73 gears, I figure it equals out to around 115 if I were stock. I don't think I would push much over that speed on the stock DS personally. But what your thinking as far as taller gears=more RPM and more RPM=more stress or likelihood of vibration is correct. So, in a round about way, the taller gears will put you at more risk of snapping a DS..... That's the way I understand it at least
Yeah see, with the stock limiter you will say 113 but in reality would you be pushin near that 135? That's what I'm curious about. I don't want to get gears and pop my shaft out because I forgot about this
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You are corect. If you had say 3.73's and were going 113mph your DS would be spinning at a higher rpm than it would with stock gears. I'm not sure what the magic number is but at some point your DS will be spinning at the equivalent of 135mph stock before you actually hit that speed. That fact is true through the entire rpm range
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
You are corect. If you had say 3.73's and were going 113mph your DS would be spinning at a higher rpm than it would with stock gears. I'm not sure what the magic number is but at some point your DS will be spinning at the equivalent of 135mph stock before you actually hit that speed. That fact is true through the entire rpm range
So... Will it pop? or keep spinning until you put it under high stress? I personally want to test this. But if it pops I'm gone need more than a shaft replacement.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Outta your f'n mind !!! Lol it's not that important tho show people, man that's the last thing I'm thinkin about at that speed. Complete attention is on the road wow...
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement

Outta your f'n mind !!! Lol it's not that important tho show people, man that's the last thing I'm thinkin about at that speed. Complete attention is on the road wow...
Yea taking a photo while going triple digit speeds is just asking for trouble....cmon man
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post

Calm down bud. I'm showing this as proof that the 113 limiter is garbage. And as a matter a fact I am about full blown crazy. Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Yea taking a photo while going triple digit speeds is just asking for trouble....cmon man
If you're a good driver you can have the ability to control the car, snap the picture and get back down to speed. It was 1 am and no cars were on the highway. I wasn't putting anyone's life at risk but mine. What I do with my life is up to me.

These cars go fast for a reason, so why commute in them and have no fun. If I wanted to do that I'd buy a Toyota. Because race car!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Calm down bud. I'm showing this as proof that the 113 limiter is garbage. And as a matter a fact I am about full blown crazy. Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

If you're a good driver you can have the ability to control the car, snap the picture and get back down to speed. It was 1 am and no cars were on the highway. I wasn't putting anyone's life at risk but mine. What I do with my life is up to me.

These cars go fast for a reason, so why commute in them and have no fun. If I wanted to do that I'd buy a Toyota. Because race car!
Because Mustang.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey more power steering to ya bro, I'm not tryna be your parent or anything, I like getting up there also. I was just like damn that's crazy... Ha ha
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post

Hey more power steering to ya bro, I'm not tryna be your parent or anything, I like getting up there also. I was just like damn that's crazy... Ha ha
I thought you were yanking my chain. My bad lol I'm a speed junky. Once you hit 140 on a strip you just want to match it wherever. 120 in these cars feels like 80. I guess that's why I feel more comfortable doing it than in my new edge. Which was scary.

I don't think I want 3.55's now though
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I hit 110 on the freeway with traffic Jackin with a Porsche New Year's Eve night and a few others, fun night lucky I didn't get yanked ... No more than 95 now though I got two tickets and not trying to get anymore these days

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

On my way to court as I speak
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Maybe it's just me, but 120 has never been an issue in either of my mustangs. I did buy both of them while I was in Germany (IDK). 120+ on a regular basis. Even since I recived my car in the states I have been 120+. I know that most US spec vehicles have limiters (GOVs), My Explorer had 120 on the dash but when I hit 118/120ish it would cut out back to 110 and after some time driving it would be hard to run at 110+. I mostly crused at 108 on long trips.
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang