Anyone done internals? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Anyone done internals?

Wondering if anyone on here has upgraded any of there engine internals. pistons, rods, whatever..... If you have I would like to hear about what you have done and your goal's. Im thinking that Im going to do my internals before my turbo but wanted to hear some others experiences.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The only person that has done internals is Solobusa

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Wondering if anyone on here has upgraded any of there engine internals. pistons, rods, whatever..... If you have I would like to hear about what you have done and your goal's. Im thinking that Im going to do my internals before my turbo but wanted to hear some others experiences.
you going turbo?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I was just on the Hellion website and was looking at the turbo kit for the 11 mustang. It seems they had the boost setting to 5. Do you know how much boost you can set the turbo on without changing the engine and doing work on. How much boost can you leave the turbo set to and not cause any stress and damage to the engine. After doing some research, it seems that installing a turbo is much better and easier on a engine. The supercharger is much harder working on the engine a uses more fuel than a turbo. Compared to the pro charger supercharger it is set for 8 psi of boost can you safely set the turbo for the same 8 psi of boost and not cause stress on the engine. It looks like the supercharger is always making the engine work harder but the turbo is not doing anything until you stomp on the gas pedal.

Any thoughts between turbo or supercharger?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I was just on the Hellion website and was looking at the turbo kit for the 11 mustang. It seems they had the boost setting to 5. Do you know how much boost you can set the turbo on without changing the engine and doing work on. How much boost can you leave the turbo set to and not cause any stress and damage to the engine. After doing some research, it seems that installing a turbo is much better and easier on a engine. The supercharger is much harder working on the engine a uses more fuel than a turbo. Compared to the pro charger supercharger it is set for 8 psi of boost can you safely set the turbo for the same 8 psi of boost and not cause stress on the engine. It looks like the supercharger is always making the engine work harder but the turbo is not doing anything until you stomp on the gas pedal.

Any thoughts between turbo or supercharger?
personally i would pick turbo over supercharger i think the supercharger would mess something up before the turbo does
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

They're both adding boost. And it's not the amount of boost that is the issue, it's detonation. You can run 20lbs of boost and never have an issue, if you don't detonate. You're always going to be limited by combustion chamber size, heat, timing, and octane of the gas you're shoving in the cylinder. You can't compare boost from one power-adder to the other like it's all that matters.

Turbo is easier on the engine cause it takes more time for the boost to build. It also is free power and doesn't take power from the engine to run it. However, either one with a bad tune will destroy stuff and both are adding more wear to the engine once you hit boost. If your thoughts about choosing between them are focused on engine longevity then you should stay stock.

If you play with boost on a N/A car, at some point you're going to break something. It's not a matter of if, but when. It may be the transmission, axle, or driveshaft. If you actually use that power, something is going to break.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
They're both adding boost. And it's not the amount of boost that is the issue, it's detonation. You can run 20lbs of boost and never have an issue, if you don't detonate. You're always going to be limited by combustion chamber size, heat, timing, and octane of the gas you're shoving in the cylinder. You can't compare boost from one power-adder to the other like it's all that matters.

Turbo is easier on the engine cause it takes more time for the boost to build. It also is free power and doesn't take power from the engine to run it. However, either one with a bad tune will destroy stuff and both are adding more wear to the engine once you hit boost. If your thoughts about choosing between them are focused on engine longevity then you should stay stock.

If you play with boost on a N/A car, at some point you're going to break something. It's not a matter of if, but when. It may be the transmission, axle, or driveshaft. If you actually use that power, something is going to break.
Awesome post
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

Thanks sir, great information
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'll add this. Something to consider if you want to get a lot of power out of them...

Turbo's, since they run off exhaust gas, are basically a matter of getting a good sized turbo for its intended us and a large enough downpipe to whisk away the exhaust gases after the impeller. However, due to this, you never have to worry about exhaust. You can run stock manifolds if the system uses them, and stock exhaust after the downpipe. The most you can positively do to maximize a turbo kit is just install a larger intercooler and meth injection to lower intake temps. I'm pretty sure the CFM kit has some kind of exhaust restriction issue, their torque is way too high compared to HP. We'll see when more info becomes available.

Supercharger (Centri, since it's our only option atm): With this, you're just modifying the intake side of the car. These superchargers use intercoolers too and they can be upgraded along with meth injection... however, you really have to worry about exhaust mods. You need to maximize scavenging and anyone that is smart will get headers. You can also play around here. If you dyno the car and find your setup has a lot of torque, you can trade it off for more HP by going to a larger exhaust. Biggest benefit to the S/C setup: You can keep all your exhaust mods if you modified it N/A first, and the S/C will benefit from this!

Turbo is probably going to be the cheapest route for someone who has a virgin car. S/C may make more sense if you've already been modifying N/A and have invested in major exhaust mods (headers, mid-pipe, etc.)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Personally I'm not in any hurry to get a FI system. There will be more options down the road as new systems come out.. Once people start getting turbo's we learn more about the capabilities of the 3.7. Once that happens I may consider building my own FI system depending in what is available at Time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang