I need to settle this myth - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
Not everyone wants to trade in a car after 100k miles nor has the money to go through with it.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

And I also understand your just posting your opinion... Nice to have an intelligent convo every once in a while
Mine are just breaking in at 100K! My truck has 157K (2005 F150 with the 4.2 V6), my Saab had 236K (son totaled it). I'll have this Mustang for a long time. I hope to have another parked along side of it someday; A true Boss 302.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #72
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Five W twenty Motor Oil = 5W20 Motor Oil

That is 5 w 20 Motor oil.

Why 5-W-20 motor oil ????
It will flow instantly as soon as you start your car. (((-INSTANTLY-)))

Start the engine, Drive away, just don't floor it until you get it up to temperture.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I can't reply to this thread anymore... Some ppl are just so ignorant... Your car, do what you want

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
That is 5 w 20 Motor oil.

Why 5-W-20 motor oil ????
It will flow instantly as soon as you start your car. (((-INSTANTLY-)))

Start the engine, Drive away, just don't floor it until you get it up to temperture.

Ronnie
Maybe where you live....but at -25(celsuis) in the winter here I highly Recomend letting it warm up! Have you ever driven a car right after starting it at that temp? Trust me it doesnt like it at all!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I can't reply to this thread anymore... Some ppl are just so ignorant... Your car, do what you want
BAZINGA
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
+10000000000000 I'm just gonna do what I want.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You're wrong. I know this first hand. I started my rental Mercedes one morning back in 2004 to defrost the windshield one cold morning. As the engine was running, I was scraping the frost off the windshield.

Along came a German police officer, who promptly wrote me a $150.00 Euro dollar ticket for allowing my engine to idle. My jaw dropped, but it is and still is the law.

The newer Mercedes and BMW's now have the feature where the engine cuts off after approx 20 seconds of idle. As soon as you press the 'drive by wire" pedal (formorly known as a gas pedal), the engine restarts. There is an override button to disable, or you have your A/C on. It's on my wifes 2013 BMW.

Read, get the facts before you say "it won't happen". Its true.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Simply trying to help eliminate the myths. Since a moderator thinks that's a waste of time, then I'm done.
Im simply in amazement that you could be so ignorant to say that to me. I don't have to read up on anything. I'm using common sense, and saying that most cops would just say "hey, could you turn your car off please." Now if your a d-bag then I could see you getting a ticket, but if your nice I would bet lots of my money on saying that nothing will happen. But I guess I just think too highly of people, and give them the benefit of a doubt.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's a old pic, but I feel it fits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-324995224.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	92240  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
I know it's a old pic, but I feel it fits.
Rofl

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
BMW recommends driving their cars as soon as you start them, just not exceeding 3k rpms until it has full heated up. Honestly, most cars in use today are never warmed before they're driven unless they have to thaw frost/snow off them. Just do what you want and try not to abuse it.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #81
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Im simply in amazement that you could be so ignorant to say that to me. I don't have to read up on anything. I'm using common sense, and saying that most cops would just say "hey, could you turn your car off please." Now if your a d-bag then I could see you getting a ticket, but if your nice I would bet lots of my money on saying that nothing will happen. But I guess I just think too highly of people, and give them the benefit of a doubt.
No comment. I presented facts, and now it's up to folks to make their own decision. I too am done.

And seeing as how I was a visitor in Germany, I pled ignorance to the law...it did not help. I recieved a ticket.

Continue with your common sense. It's working for you.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I just drive like a grandma till I get to the freeway, lol
DallasVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Well ["warm up, main reason is the valve train is the last part of engine to receive oil. Less wear on valve train if idles until oil gets there."]

Yep, on DOHC cars like ours, we need the oil all up on those cams and buckets. That is why when anything is just barely out of spec you get tap dancing Leprechauns in your engine, or worse a river dance; until about 90 seconds or so and the oil flows better. I only had a Tap dance once for about 7-10 seconds, but never had it again and I don't plan to stress those components.

We started to hear this "don't let the car warm up" when the gas crisis first came in the 70's and the Jimmy Carter told us to put sweaters on and turn the heat down to 65 degrees in the winter.

I looked at the car care myths and most are fair and balanced and some are not.
Car Care Myths And The Real Story - Car Care - All Cars - Motor Trend Magazine

The real concern is the EPA folks don't want people putting more un-burned fuel in the atmosphere for pollution and stuff.

As to their clear coat myth busting, NOPE a treatment like TST Teflon is better than waxing your car. Once you have Teflon coating you never put wax on. Only cleaner and more Teflon. I had a 9 year old truck with TST and 135k miles look brand new and sell in 4 hours on Craig's list.

My 2008 truck still looks brand new, no wax, only cleaner. And my Mustang has TST as well, no wax.

In that article, they are "Iffy" on the lead needed for pre-72 engine valves and say you "can get by", Green Bias again.
I've been having issues on cold starts with a lot of tapping. I have a cold air intake and am running a bama 93 race tune. What should I do to fix this?
Dgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoebel View Post
I've been having issues on cold starts with a lot of tapping. I have a cold air intake and am running a bama 93 race tune. What should I do to fix this?
What is the build date of your car on the side driver door panel?
What year is the car and how many miles?
Does it seem to come from the drivers side nearest the driver?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

What is the build date of your car on the side driver door panel?
What year is the car and how many miles?
Does it seem to come from the drivers side nearest the driver?

Art
I'm not sure of the exact build date, I'm on campus so Ill have to look later but I got the first 2011 mustang off the truck in July of 2010. I have 40000 miles on it and it seems to come from the drivers side if I can remember correctly. It sounds like what you were describing that there's some tap dancing happening on cold starts because there's not oil up in the lifters. It's only in the mornings on days when it gets below freezing at night. I replaced the oil with royal purple full synthetic to see if that would help but it didn't do much.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Also worth noting is that it only lasts for 20 or 30 seconds until the engine begins to warm up
Dgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang