I need to settle this myth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I need to settle this myth

So always start up my car when it's cold (im talking cold!) and leave it running for a few minutes because that's what my dad always told me was good for the engine, my girlfriend says its not necessary because she read articles on consumers report which is a valid source and I've read them too. But on here I recall seeing some posts about warming up the engine being good, so what do you guys do? Or think?
rickyschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
First off I don't trust anything that consumer reports post, they're a bunch of import loving know nothing's. All I ever read in their articles is them bashing US cars. Back to your question I would allow warm up time because overnight the oil has settled back down in the sump and your internals aren't properly lubricated. Also the oil is is very thick when cold and has a high viscosity. I don't sit and wait for it to warm up very long, but i keep the rpms low when its cold out.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I always warm my engine up. It just makes sense to me to let the oil circulate threw the engine before you put it under strain. As far as it being a myth, not sure, but that's what my father taught me as well
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Well from what I know and heard its a good idea to let the car warm up its better for the engine gets the oil pumping through out the whole engine and in my car if the car is warmed up the heat will work better and then It will be warmer inside my car lol so yea if you got the time then you might as well do It
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys that's what I thought It makes sense! Glad to know!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have always used synthetic oil in my cars.I live in Ontario,Canada and we have cold winters half the year.The sythetic oil is not affected by temperature change as much.I make sure I always idle an engine after start up and try not to rev it.I usually allow it at least 60 seconds to warm up.This has worked for me.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I come from a family of mechanics, always been told to let eng. warm up, main reason is the valve train is the last part of engine to recieve oil. Less wear on valve train if idles untill oil gets there. Cold oil flows slower and the oils viscosity is at it's optimum when warm. I have also heard no reason to let eng. warm up I'll keep warming mine, been driving since early 70"s and too old to change now lol. I used to be an aircraft mechanic and NO ONE starts an aircraft and just takes off. An engine is an engine no matter what it is in.
pamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Current conventional wisdom is that is is unnecessary.

Motor Trend:
Car Care Myths And The Real Story - Car Care - All Cars - Motor Trend Magazine

Popular Mechanics:
Warm the Engine First? Debunking More of Dad's Myths - Popular Mechanics
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I wouldn't warm it to operating temp but I at least let the idle drop before taking off.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I always wonder this too. But my pops always told me to let it warm up first.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You don't really need to let it run more than a minute, should be enough time for all the fluids to get moving properly. After that you're just wasting gas until the engine warms up.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
warming it up a bit or taking it really easy on it until its warm is a good way to go
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
i always let mine warm up my dad taught me the same
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you have Forged pistons you all better let your cars warm up. hypers not so much. I always let my car warm at least until I can see my exhaust, usually I try to get the coolant to 100-120. That's just me because I trust my gut and what I know
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hahah looks like we're all going to tell our kids the same thing and be like pops
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Letting the car warm up some is good, not totally necessary as long as you keep out of the gas until it's fully warm.

Excessive idling is bad.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Well ["warm up, main reason is the valve train is the last part of engine to receive oil. Less wear on valve train if idles until oil gets there."]

Yep, on DOHC cars like ours, we need the oil all up on those cams and buckets. That is why when anything is just barely out of spec you get tap dancing Leprechauns in your engine, or worse a river dance; until about 90 seconds or so and the oil flows better. I only had a Tap dance once for about 7-10 seconds, but never had it again and I don't plan to stress those components.

We started to hear this "don't let the car warm up" when the gas crisis first came in the 70's and the Jimmy Carter told us to put sweaters on and turn the heat down to 65 degrees in the winter.

I looked at the car care myths and most are fair and balanced and some are not.
Car Care Myths And The Real Story - Car Care - All Cars - Motor Trend Magazine

The real concern is the EPA folks don't want people putting more un-burned fuel in the atmosphere for pollution and stuff.

As to their clear coat myth busting, NOPE a treatment like TST Teflon is better than waxing your car. Once you have Teflon coating you never put wax on. Only cleaner and more Teflon. I had a 9 year old truck with TST and 135k miles look brand new and sell in 4 hours on Craig's list.

My 2008 truck still looks brand new, no wax, only cleaner. And my Mustang has TST as well, no wax.

In that article, they are "Iffy" on the lead needed for pre-72 engine valves and say you "can get by", Green Bias again.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I always let mine warm up, due to conventional wisdom, and because I can physically feel a difference in the engine!!

It is not near as responsive cold as it is when it's warmed up, it has to do much more work to a heave the same amount of acceleration. Everything is just more "in tune" after it's warmed up.

Everything is "stiff" when it's cold....

Does that make sense?
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBman View Post
I always let mine warm up, due to conventional wisdom, and because I can physically feel a difference in the engine!!

It is not near as responsive cold as it is when it's warmed up, it has to do much more work to a heave the same amount of acceleration. Everything is just more "in tune" after it's warmed up.

Everything is "stiff" when it's cold....

Does that make sense?
Yep, just like human bodies. I am very arthritis when I wake up cold in-the morning and once I warm up, my joints are so much more flexible! Machines are like us, you let them sit, they get really atrophy.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
just don't floor it or anything like that until it gets to normal operating temp.
normally on a cold start, my car will rev at like 1200, i wait untill it drops to normal (700) before leaving
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I actually just learned about this. Before you start your car turn it to accessory mode let it sit for five seconds then start it. This runs a check through all your computer and makes sure everything is good. Then after you start out after about 45 seconds it is safe to drive the engine basically just has to get oil in it and it will be safe just don't be hard on it but it will be fine!
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I usually sit for at least 30 seconds or until the engine idle settles a bit if the car has been sitting for a few hours. If it's real cold I'll let it warm up for a minute or so. I usually start it up in the morning and let it run for a few minutes before I leave though. My car is usually outside so I kind of need to to get the frost off.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
I actually just learned about this. Before you start your car turn it to accessory mode let it sit for five seconds then start it. This runs a check through all your computer and makes sure everything is good. Then after you start out after about 45 seconds it is safe to drive the engine basically just has to get oil in it and it will be safe just don't be hard on it but it will be fine!
Actually it's the on position, and almost everything is instantaneous except for the priming of the fuel lines with pressure. Either way, it doesn't matter, just a few more cranks before it fires.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
First mistake was listening to a woman about a car lol. Always warm your car up if it has been sitting for hours.
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever it is where it isn't cranked yet my bad lol
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I always let it warm up for 60 seconds. Just enough to really get it lubricated. Even if it isn't doing anything, how important is 1 minute.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The new cars no longer require a "warm up". In the old days, you let them warm up to release the choke. We no longer have a choke.

Start it, put it in gear, and drive off. While this ,may sound mute, it also provides a bit more in the fuel mileage as well; no longer do you need to waste fuel idling to allow a warm up. Your running 5W-20 oil, and at least semi-synthetic (right?), so the oil no longer needs to get to temp either.

if you were in germany and let your car "warm up", they'd give you a ticket; against the law over there to allow the car to idle more than one minute. Most new cars, such as the BMW's and mercedes have the auto stop, auto start feature now. My wifes BMW has it. Takes a bit of getting used to, but effective.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I prefer to let my vehicles warm up for a couple reasons. Oil circulation, oil temp, coolant temp and engines and components are diff types of materials, cast, polymer and aluminum all expand at different rates.
If you choose not to let your car warm up I'd suggest no spirited driving or beating on it until it does. Just my exp and opinion, nothing more.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a 3rd generation shade tree mechanic. Each vehicle class & generation of vehicle is a little different.

It is good practice to allow a few seconds after turning the key on to allow the fuel pressure build in a fuel injected car; especially the older ones.

At startup, almost all the oil is in the oil pan. There is still residual oil on interior engine surfaces but the oil needs to circulate through the engine. Therefore, it is a good idea to let it run for a minute or so to allow the oil to get circulated throughout the engine before driving. The colder it is outside, the longer you might want to wait.

Warming your engine to normal operating temperature isn't necessary to drive the vehicle. It is good practice not to drive too aggressively until the car has reached normal operating temperatures. As a matter of fact, the manual that came with our GT500 specifically warned against "spirited driving" before the car reaches normal operating temperatures.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
First off I don't trust anything that consumer reports post, they're a bunch of import loving know nothing's. All I ever read in their articles is them bashing US cars. Back to your question I would allow warm up time because overnight the oil has settled back down in the sump and your internals aren't properly lubricated. Also the oil is is very thick when cold and has a high viscosity. I don't sit and wait for it to warm up very long, but i keep the rpms low when its cold out.
First they don't bash American Cars, secondly all their car data comes from subscribers, so if you are un-happy with the results you can thank the subscribers. They have in several instances praised American cars, especially Chrysler in more recent articles.

Warming up your car is no longer needed, and is a waste of gas. It is advised that you go easy on it for the first few minutes. I think there may be a section of the owners manual that deals with this.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I wouldn't warm it to operating temp but I at least let the idle drop before taking off.
Agreed
MustangForEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClaunch View Post
First mistake was listening to a woman about a car lol. Always warm your car up if it has been sitting for hours.
Hahah yea I mean I still did it but I just wanted a correct response as to why I do it! Seems like we have a consensus. Now we all know, no spirited driving till it reaches operating temp, however you don't need to wait to start driving if it doesn't. Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyschulze View Post
Hahah yea I mean I still did it but I just wanted a correct response as to why I do it! Seems like we have a consensus. Now we all know, no spirited driving till it reaches operating temp, however you don't need to wait to start driving if it doesn't. Thanks guys
Unless you have forged pistons, or a turbo that needs oil too, or different metal types and creation methods ie cast iron block, forged alum pistons. But deadsp0t and I already said it.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Letting the car warm up some is good, not totally necessary as long as you keep out of the gas until it's fully warm.

Excessive idling is bad.
Best put. Excessive idle is not good for the motor at all. I let min warm enough for the RPMs to drop down to the normal idling level. Then keep your foot off the floor until at proper engine temp.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post

Best put. Excessive idle is not good for the motor at all. I let min warm enough for the RPMs to drop down to the normal idling level. Then keep your foot off the floor until at proper engine temp.
What in the world is "Excessive Idle"? And how does this hurt your engine?
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang