void warranty - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #36

Region: Nevada
Look at it this way. Your buying a quality product for a reputatible manufacture. Do with it as you wish and have fun. Some of them will fail, that is in the numbers. If you know how to work the system you will be good. Remember a very lage proportion of Mustangs will run fine forever.
Bobavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobavata View Post
Look at it this way. Your buying a quality product for a reputatible manufacture. Do with it as you wish and have fun. Some of them will fail, that is in the numbers. If you know how to work the system you will be good. Remember a very lage proportion of Mustangs will run fine forever.
+1

That is part of the problem, a lot of people don't know the system, so they post things that scare other people. Which they shouldn't.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

+1

That is part of the problem, a lot of people don't know the system, so they post things that scare other people. Which they shouldn't.
Couldn't have said it better myself.........
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have held off on the tune because of warranty concerns. Curious, has anyone personally been denied warranty work due to a tune? On V6mustangperformance they interview the owner of the driveshaft failure video. He tuned his car, removing the 113 speed limiter. Ford replaced his driveshaft under warranty and re-flashed his ecu. I would think that would be a time warranty work would be denied. Here's a quote and link.

Ford stood behind their product and repaired his car under warranty! After the damage was repaired, he said everything felt smooth again. Also, Ford flashed the ECU with an update which greatly improved the low end throttle response. Now the factory tune feels basically like the SCT did, so he is driving it stock.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/tips...shaft-failure/
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
I have held off on the tune because of warranty concerns. Curious, has anyone personally been denied warranty work due to a tune? On V6mustangperformance they interview the owner of the driveshaft failure video. He tuned his car, removing the 113 speed limiter. Ford replaced his driveshaft under warranty and re-flashed his ecu. I would think that would be a time warranty work would be denied. Here's a quote and link.

Ford stood behind their product and repaired his car under warranty! After the damage was repaired, he said everything felt smooth again. Also, Ford flashed the ECU with an update which greatly improved the low end throttle response. Now the factory tune feels basically like the SCT did, so he is driving it stock.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/tips...shaft-failure/
Thank you for posting this. Now everyone will know that they have nothing to fear from moding or tuning their car.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Thank you for posting this. Now everyone will know that they have nothing to fear from moding or tuning their car.
Spoke to my dealer again and they said unless its directly related to a tune ill be fine, but in all the years they've been there they have never seen that. She also added that they see many mustang and f-150's that have been tuned and they have never denied warranty work. So law or no law I'm going to do gears and tune now knowing my dealer has my back! Thx for all the info from both sides.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I like where this is going. I want the tune but fear the dealer!
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I like where this is going. I want the tune but fear the dealer!
Lol, so did I, when I walked in I was almost nervous to even ask my service manager about it, but when I told them what I wanted to do I was pleasantly surprised how supportive they were.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734578161.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	92594

Right....
I see several of our members posted replies..
How'd those requests for new DS go?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Right....
I see several of our members posted replies..
How'd those requests for new DS go?
Yea I read those responses too. Sounds like some members are misinformed. The stock driveshaft on a 2011+ V6 mustang weighs 28 lbs...not 43 lbs. Also, very important, the 2013 has the SAME driveshaft as the 11 and 12. I don't know why some people believe the 2013 has a new driveshaft?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Just saying what my dealer told me. I believe that most dealers can give you a really hard time about warranties when it comes to tune and can even void it, in Canada anyways....but some dealers will work with you. Talk to your dealer.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

Yea I read those responses too. Sounds like some members are misinformed. The stock driveshaft on a 2011+ V6 mustang weighs 28 lbs...not 43 lbs. Also, very important, the 2013 has the SAME driveshaft as the 11 and 12. I don't know why some people believe the 2013 has a new driveshaft?
I do not believe this is accurate. People have weighed and photographed them. That is where I learned about it. People replaced 11 and 12 drive shafts, and it weighed in at 43 pounds. Then, when people started replacing their 13 drive shafts, they said Mine doesn't look like that! And found it weighed less, and looked. LIttle different.

I could be wrong, to know for fact I would need a brand new factory 12 and later brand new factory 13 to see for fact with my own eyes. Anyo.e who wants to donate for my research is welcome lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

I do not believe this is accurate. People have weighed and photographed them. That is where I learned about it. People replaced 11 and 12 drive shafts, and it weighed in at 43 pounds. Then, when people started replacing their 13 drive shafts, they said Mine doesn't look like that! And found it weighed less, and looked. LIttle different.

I could be wrong, to know for fact I would need a brand new factory 12 and later brand new factory 13 to see for fact with my own eyes. Anyo.e who wants to donate for my research is welcome lol
It is 100% accurate. I have my stock DS sitting in my garage. Would you like me to take a photo of it on the scale? It weighs 28.2 lbs. Now, the GT driveshaft weighs 43 lbs, and I think that is where the confusion came from. The 2013 driveshaft is the same as the 2011 2012. I think people believed they were all different because someone on here stated that there 2013 was a 1 piece aluminum. Then people started taking photos of there 2013 DS and you could clearly see a 2 piece steel DS.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

It is 100% accurate. I have my stock DS sitting in my garage. Would you like me to take a photo of it on the scale? It weighs 28.2 lbs. Now, the GT driveshaft weighs 43 lbs, and I think that is where the confusion came from. The 2013 driveshaft is the same as the 2011 2012. I think people believed they were all different because someone on here stated that there 2013 was a 1 piece aluminum. Then people started taking photos of there 2013 DS and you could clearly see a 2 piece steel DS.
+1. I hate when myth distorts truth.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

So, to wrap this up and summarize, no tune, mod or anything will void your warranty, unless the work/mod/or tune is directly related to the damage that needs warranty work.
So mod and tune away!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz
So, to wrap this up and summarize, no tune, mod or anything will void your warranty, unless the work/mod/or tune is directly related to the damage that needs warranty work.
So mod and tune away!
That is how it should be....unfortunately a dealer can choose to disobey those rules and void your warranty anyways. Seen it happen before to a buddy. But you are right, that is the law.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is how it should be....unfortunately a dealer can choose to disobey those rules and void your warranty anyways. Seen it happen before to a buddy. But you are right, that is the law.
Tell your buddy to take the dealer to arbitration. It's free, Ford must do it (as listed in the BBB) and he is almost guaranteed to win.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tell your buddy to take the dealer to arbitration. It's free, Ford must do it (as listed in the BBB) and he is almost guaranteed to win.
It's really not that hard for Ford to say we designed your car to operate at 305 hp. Retuning exceeded the limits of design and the added HP blew your engine or transmission etc. it's really the power train that is important. All they have to do is prove it to a judge on paper. To prove otherwise is more complicated.

Even K&N backing up our warranty through their warranty is iffy. Say the sensors are damaged per Ford from an oiled filter.
K&N could easily say you oiled it incorrectly. Just an examples but Moss Magnusson was designed to protect you for OEM type after market parts. Say using a Fram Filter instead of Fomoco when both are designed within specs. Not for parts that alter the performance of the car.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I feel better about my performance tune now. Modding these cars are a lot of fun. This is a good thread.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
It's really not that hard for Ford to say we designed your car to operate at 305 hp. Retuning exceeded the limits of design and the added HP blew your engine or transmission etc. it's really the power train that is important. All they have to do is prove it to a judge on paper. To prove otherwise is more complicated.

Even K&N backing up our warranty through their warranty is iffy. Say the sensors are damaged per Ford from an oiled filter.
K&N could easily say you oiled it incorrectly. Just an examples but Moss Magnusson was designed to protect you for OEM type after market parts. Say using a Fram Filter instead of Fomoco when both are designed within specs. Not for parts that alter the performance of the car.
Was you're suggesting Ford would do is illegal. They can't lie and say the car is only built for 305hp, when the GT has over 400 and it is on the same chassis with the same aerodynamics. I think that would be a hard sell on Fords part. At least to a judge and owner who know what they're talking about.

Last resort, call your local news and have them do a story on it. Bad publicity is a death sentence to companies, even large ones like Ford.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Was you're suggesting Ford would do is illegal. They can't lie and say the car is only built for 305hp, when the GT has over 400 and it is on the same chassis with the same aerodynamics. I think that would be a hard sell on Fords part. At least to a judge and owner who know what they're talking about.

Last resort, call your local news and have them do a story on it. Bad publicity is a death sentence to companies, even large ones like Ford.
Enlighten me what chassis has to do with drivetrain and driveline parts, engine, trans and the ever popular DS. We all know the 8.8 is the same.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

+1.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Quote:

I don't think he meant chassis I think he's saying the engine is made for only 305 from the factory. Rolleyes.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
+1.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I don't think he meant chassis I think he's saying the engine is made for only 305 from the factory. Rolleyes.
Yeah, I skimmed the post really quick. All i saw was "rated for 305hp", so I assumed he was talking about the car. Regardless of that, the guy who snapped his shaft at 135 got all of his work done under warranty, so I think that covers a lot of scenarios that one might see.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Enlighten me what chassis has to do with drivetrain and driveline parts, engine, trans and the ever popular DS. We all know the 8.8 is the same.
Enlighten me why you still think a tune will void a warranty.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I skimmed the post really quick. All i saw was "rated for 305hp", so I assumed he was talking about the car. Regardless of that, the guy who snapped his shaft at 135 got all of his work done under warranty, so I think that covers a lot of scenarios that one might see.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Lol, Ive been guilty of that too once or twice. After sitting down with my dealer I'm confident to tune.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It was pretty clear I was speaking of drivetrain. And I still have doubts about a guy who drives with one hand on the wheel and a camcorder in the other who just happens to snap his DS at the same exact moment. Then he's dumb enough to post it on the Internet. Lets get him on here with pictures of his service order to show the warranty repairs. What I said Ford has the right to do is not illegal. It is the law. If your car is limited to 113 mph and you over ride that and something breaks warranty on drivetrain voided.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Interesting. I don't recall anyone saying it was a one piece. I could find the threads where I was told the DS is 43 lbs, while others with newer ones said it was 28. I am not saying you are wrong, or arguing with you, but there is evidence going against what you said on here. I'd have to look it all up and find it to site the sources.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang