void warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
void warranty

can someone list aftermarket part that would voild warranty because im so lost i used have to have a dodge avneger and the only thing voild the warranty was if you tuned it
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
well thats a very sticky question. Basically a dealer CAN void your warranty for just about anything they want.... you could try to fight it but you wont be able to really. The best thing to do is to talk to your local dealer or dealers and ask them straight up what they think will void and wont void it.

If you put a catback on then anything it touches or messes with usually is voided, since it doesnt mess with much nothing is really done there.

You usually can do most anything that does not require a tune.... but if you have ANY Major issues you had best put it back to stock as they will find any reason they can to void an deny a claim regardless of what others tell you.

Some dealers are cool some dont like anything changed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing will void your warranty, as long as it does not cause any damage. Simple as that.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Nothing will void your warranty, as long as it does not cause any damage. Simple as that.
That's a very vague answer. Your best way is to talk to you dealer, you might be very surprised what you can do!

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
well thats a very sticky question. Basically a dealer CAN void your warranty for just about anything they want.... you could try to fight it but you wont be able to really. The best thing to do is to talk to your local dealer or dealers and ask them straight up what they think will void and wont void it.

If you put a catback on then anything it touches or messes with usually is voided, since it doesnt mess with much nothing is really done there.

You usually can do most anything that does not require a tune.... but if you have ANY Major issues you had best put it back to stock as they will find any reason they can to void an deny a claim regardless of what others tell you.

+1
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

Actually, a dealer cannot void anything they want to. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage. If it did, then yes, the warranty would be voided, but only for that part. If it didn't then they cannot void anything, and they would have to do the work under the warranty.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually, a dealer cannot void anything they want to. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage. If it did, then yes, the warranty would be voided, but only for that part. If it didn't then they cannot void anything, and they would have to do the work under the warranty.
+1 when I spoke to my dealer they told me that if it wasn't tune related or not suspected to be tune related my car would be fine! I'm using the tune reference because its probably the most debated warranty issue. I've read all dealers are different and some will give you a much harder time than others. If you want peace of mind before you start modding sit down with your service manager and discuss exactly what you plan on doing and how it will or will not effect your warranty. But if you have a catastrophic failure and your tuned, it clearly states your warranty is void. Once you tune it changes many parameters in your computer that would be an uphill battle to fight for your warranty.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
The dealer can void any warranty work they wish, based on modifications done to the vehicle. It will be UP TO YOU to prove them wrong.

How deep are your pockets if it were to come to this?

Most find a dealership that works with modifications. There are dealerships that will...to a point.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The dealer can void any warranty work they wish, based on modifications done to the vehicle. It will be UP TO YOU to prove them wrong.

Most find a dealership that works with modifications. There are dealerships that will...to a point.
That's exactly my point. My dealer clearly explained that if something fails or requires work that is mod related your **** out of luck. Example if you do gears and you have some sort of failure in the diff your screwd! Like I said talk to your dealer and see what will work for you. Everything is to a point like bucko stated.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

That's a very vague answer. Your best way is to talk to you dealer, you might be very surprised what you can do!

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

+1
Yes ask your dealer. My dealer told me it is your car what you do to it outside the dealers doors we know nothing about, But when it come in make it stock again so there is no question when warrantee work comes up. Just hope you can find a dealer as cool as mine!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
can someone list aftermarket part that would voild warranty because im so lost i used have to have a dodge avneger and the only thing voild the warranty was if you tuned it
If your interested te new diablo intune supposedly won't void warranty. As long as you reset to stock the dealer can't tell it was ever tuned. This is coming straight from diablo sport, I called they answered then I bought. Best value by far, you really can't grasp the difference a tune makes until you actually do it
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's actually the exact opposite. It's UP TO THE DEALER to prove that the mod caused the damage. If the dealer cannot provide enough evidence that the mod caused the damage, then the part is still under warranty.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My dealer said I have to order stuff from ford racing and have them put it on to keep the warranty.

I feel like a kid "my dealer said"
Deibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
It's actually the exact opposite. It's UP TO THE DEALER to prove that the mod caused the damage. If the dealer cannot provide enough evidence that the mod caused the damage, then the part is still under warranty.
Nope. Your wrong. A dealer can refuse to perform warranty repair if they feel a mod, or action that the owner did was the cause of the failure.
It will be up to you to fight this decision. Don't believe this? Ask your dealer, or better, read your warranty papers.

I hope this never happens to anyone, as it becomes an issue of who may have deeper pockets to fight it in court if it has to go that far. You have recourse with the regional service rep if you cannot work it out with the current or other dealership.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope. Your wrong. A dealer can refuse to perform warranty repair if they feel a mod, or action that the owner did was the cause of the failure.
It will be up to you to fight this decision. Don't believe this? Ask your dealer, or better, read your warranty papers.

I hope this never happens to anyone, as it becomes an issue of who may have deeper pockets to fight it in court if it has to go that far. You have recourse with the regional service rep if you cannot work it out with the current or other dealership.
Nope, I'm not going to go back and forth with you over this, but if you read up on federal law regarding warrants, the dealership must do the research into the mod, and prove to the customer that it caused the damage. They can't just pop the hood and see a CAI and be like "oh, you added that yourself, sorry, can't fix your broken belt". They actually have to prove that the CAI caused the issue. Now, some dealerships may not be trustworthy, and will try to get out of any warranty work if they believe the customer doesn't know the law/warranty regulations, but legally they cannot do that.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
+1, that is why I so far have only looked at items they will install. One Item didn't come from Ford Racing and they had me order it and they will install it when I get the car back to them. I could have done it myself in several hours but that will do it for $75. At my age, money well spend.

Be nice to your service folks, they like these Mustangs
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually if you read the warranty you will see that Ford participates in the BBB arbitration process. There is no cost so, the depth of your pockets does not enter into it.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
Actually if you read the warranty you will see that Ford participates in the BBB arbitration process. There is no cost so, the depth of your pockets does not enter into it.
+1
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes you are correct....but if they rule in favour of ford its a final none contested decision. If you also read your manual under warranty you will see that tunes etc can deny you warranty work, in turn going through the process of the arbitrator, in turn if you lose your ****ed! Ford has been in the business a very long time and I think they have their butts covered pretty dam good! Ford is a billion dollar company and will have every angle covered as far as the law is concerned!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes you are correct....but if they rule in favour of ford its a final none contested decision. If you also read your manual under warranty you will see that tunes etc can deny you warranty work, in turn going through the process of the arbitrator, in turn if you lose your ****ed! Ford has been in the business a very long time and I think they have their butts covered pretty dam good! Ford is a billion dollar company and will have every angle covered as far as the law is concerned!
Actually, you are not bound by the arbitration decision but, if you accept it, Ford is. If you do not accept it, you can then pursue other remedies under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually, you are not bound by the arbitration decision but, if you accept it, Ford is. If you do not accept it, you can then pursue other remedies under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
Good luck. Hope you have deep pockets! I don't know what the laws are in the states but here its binding to both you and Ford!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+100000
"Magnuson-Moss warranty act" Those are the key words right there. You really have no business discussing what voids your warranty and what doesn't until you have read that law. That is the law that states that a company "Ford" cannot simply void you warranty just because you moded the car. It also states that it is on the responsibility for Ford to prove that your modification caused the damage that needs to be repaired. Apparently, a lot of dealerships lie about this (Ex. The dealer who said it has to be a Ford racing part that they install) so, going to a free arbitration would actually benefit you exponentially, and could result in Ford being forced to do the work under warranty, and you having peace of mind for future mods.

*cough* *cough* or anyone else reading this forum. *Cough*
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good luck. Hope you have deep pockets!
In my state, the limit in small claims court is $10,000. It would have to be a pretty big warranty claim to exceed that.

Small claims court costs about $100. No deep pockets needed. Of course, you have to be right and be able to prove it.

In reality, it will most likely never get that far. It is is Ford's interests to resolve these problems as well.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure how it works in the states but here its binding to both you and ford!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_225659.png
Views:	78
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	92236
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know what the laws are in the states but here its binding to both you and Ford!
Didn't realize you were not in the States. I don't know the laws up there. YMMV.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+100000
"Magnuson-Moss warranty act" Those are the key words right there. You really have no business discussing what voids your warranty and what doesn't until you have read that law. That is the law that states that a company "Ford" cannot simply void you warranty just because you moded the car. It also states that it is on the responsibility for Ford to prove that your modification caused the damage that needs to be repaired. Apparently, a lot of dealerships lie about this (Ex. The dealer who said it has to be a Ford racing part that they install) so, going to a free arbitration would actually benefit you exponentially, and could result in Ford being forced to do the work under warranty, and you having peace of mind for future mods.

*cough* *cough* or anyone else reading this forum. *Cough*
I'm not saying that if you do a Cai that your warranty is dead....your missing my point. Going back to the tune reference that if your car is tuned and you have a catastrophic failure it will be very easy for Ford to void your warranty as it changes many parameters. As it states in your manual it can void warranty work and it would be YOUR responsibility to prove them wrong. I've also had this discussion with my dealer that, example, if I did gears and and had the diff failed it would not be covered, but let's say the tranny failed it would be covered. I'm not saying like some people say that if you do a Cai your engine warranty is dead.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Didn't realize you were not in the States. I don't know the laws up there. YMMV.
Np, our laws are very different from yours, but like I've been saying from the begining just talk with the dealer. Some don't give you any hard time about mods!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying that if you do a Cai that your warranty is dead....your missing my point. Going back to the tune reference that if your car is tuned and you have a catastrophic failure it will be very easy for Ford to void your warranty as it changes many parameters. As it states in your manual it can void warranty work and it would be YOUR responsibility to prove them wrong. I've also had this discussion with my dealer that, example, if I did gears and and had the diff failed it would not be covered, but let's say the tranny failed it would be covered. I'm not saying like some people say that if you do a Cai your engine warranty is dead.
The text in the manual under the warranty section is mainly there as a deterrent to weed out the guys who don't know their rights. It's sad, but companies do it all the time. They put jumps and hoops for customers to get through before they get to the real answer, hence internet forums.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Hey, here's an lets beat a dead horse..
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Hey, here's an lets beat a dead horse..
27 Posts on a thread about warranties before Deadsp0t showed up. I think that's a record.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

27 Posts on a thread about warranties before Deadsp0t showed up. I think that's a record.
Your argument is tired, regardless of the act you keep posting and quoting the fact of the matter is if you tune your car and blow an engine it's coming out of your pocket.. There are countless examples of this, what you learned in school has no bearing on real life.. Please show me ppl who had tunes, blew an engine and Ford 'ok'd' an engine replacement, please, I beg if you..

A prime example is AM's warranty with the tuning of the new 5.0 because the dealership, which has zero to do with it because Ford Makes the decision whether to replace an engine, not the dealer won't touch it.. Seriously...
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your argument is tired, regardless of the act you keep posting and quoting the fact of the matter is if you tune your car and blow an engine it's coming out of your pocket.. There are countless examples of this, what you learned in school has no bearing on real life.. Please show me ppl who had tunes, blew an engine and Ford 'ok'd' an engine replacement, please, I beg if you..

A prime example is AM's warranty with the tuning of the new 5.0 because the dealership, which has zero to do with it because Ford Makes the decision whether to replace an engine, not the dealer won't touch it.. Seriously...
Not to get into an argument with you..again, but if you read the entire thread, no one mentions tunes once. Were talking about aftermarket parts.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Not to get into an argument with you..again, but if you read the entire thread, no one mentions tunes once. Were talking about aftermarket parts.
The same logic applies.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The same logic applies.
No, not really.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

No, not really.
Apparently no logic applies..
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Apparently no logic applies..
Logically completely applies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang