Headers and off road x pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Headers and off road x pipe

So are headers and a off road x pipe worth the $ on a 2012 v6?
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been looking into them also. they kinda expensive for jus a bit of gain top end and a loss of low end torque..
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

dont forget you need to get a tune with it, if you dont already.
i want to get them also.
power and sound, seems pretty good to me!
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
So are headers and a off road x pipe worth the $ on a 2012 v6?
I have a complete exhaust and seriously if you can afford the $600, DO IT!! Trust me, you seriously will not regret it.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I have a complete exhaust and seriously if you can afford the $600, DO IT!! Trust me, you seriously will not regret it.
Is it really that much of a difference? I gotta agree though is it worth losing low end trq? Cause I do a lot of street driving.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post

Is it really that much of a difference? I gotta agree though is it worth losing low end trq? Cause I do a lot of street driving.
You can easily get ur low end grunt back with a bamma 93 Hybrid tune.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

what exactly is a hybrid tune? is it better than the race tune? cuz thas what I've been runnin on
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

what exactly is a hybrid tune? is it better than the race tune? cuz thas what I've been runnin on
Its a mixture of the race and street. So you get the low end grunt from the street but all the top end power of the race
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its a mixture of the race and street. So you get the low end grunt from the street but all the top end power of the race
would I be better off with that? and how do u get that?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22

would I be better off with that? and how do u get that?
Yes it is a more aggressive, faster accelerating Race tune. Gives the best numbers in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. When ordering your next round of Bama tunes, in the comments section ask for them to replace one of the tunes with a hybrid tune. Say you get a 87 street, 91 race/performance and 93 hybrid...
NakedCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCat View Post

Yes it is a more aggressive, faster accelerating Race tune. Gives the best numbers in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. When ordering your next round of Bama tunes, in the comments section ask for them to replace one of the tunes with a hybrid tune. Say you get a 87 street, 91 race/performance and 93 hybrid...
Ight thanks bro. been wanting to get under 5 sec for awhile now. hope it works!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCat View Post

Oh wow. Damn. I should get on that right away.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Oh wow. Damn. I should get on that right away.
Oh, You so need to get it. I'm running a 91 Hybrid tune and its the most aggressive tune AM is making right now. Its freaking awesome. Full performance from low, mid, and top end.

About headers. Oh heck yeah there worth it. There going on my 11 V6 next month. You won't loose that much low end. Your going to gain a large amount of HP and torque mid to high range. You need to open that engine up to breath. The more cold air shoved into that engine, the more HP and torgue you gonna produce. The stock manifolds and cats are so freaking restrictive of the air flow being pushed out the engine. The headers and off road x pipe are going to greatly open up your engine to breath. The more air in the engine, more air out engine, the more power you have and faster acceleration you will have.

Well worth the 750 for the mod. You will not regret. Plus your car will sound much more aggressive and kick a$$.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

do you have offroad x or catted?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruChris View Post

do you have offroad x or catted?
I have catted, if u can afford it get it both make the same gains because its high flow catts
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have catted, if u can afford it get it both make the same gains because its high flow catts
i cant
maybe after my car is paid off... haha but as of now i think i might go offroad.
isnt it louder also?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i cant
maybe after my car is paid off... haha but as of now i think i might go offroad.
isnt it louder also?
The off road is way cheaper and if you don't have emission testing then that's the way to go.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

The off road is way cheaper and if you don't have emission testing then that's the way to go.
We have testing here but either way i know two shops that can pass u :p

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote:

i cant
isnt it louder also?
Buy off road and ill send u the link for cheap high flow catts so u can be legal and honestly my xpipe is just as loud as my friends. We swapped for a week to see if we could tell the difference... We couldn't
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have been having to choose between the exhaust or a drive shaft...... I really dont want to spend the $ for both at the same time. im having to wait either way because you cant find parts in stock anywhere...
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately I live in California. They won't even approve of the catted pipe. I might just get a custom over axel pipe done to match my axel back Magnaflows then wait around for someone to sell off their headers and xpipe.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unfortunately I live in California. They won't even approve of the catted pipe. I might just get a custom over axel pipe done to match my axel back Magnaflows then wait around for someone to sell off their headers and xpipe.
Have someone in another state order them then just ship it to you marked as a gift. Bam!! Thats all u need
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm glad I don't live in California. Not moving there. Lol. No emissions where I'm at so off road x pipe here I come.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Have someone in another state order them then just ship it to you marked as a gift. Bam!! Thats all u need
Oh I can buy them. Just wontpass smog. Plus I'm not sure I'm going to like the sound. Gonna have to hear a car with headers and X pipe in person cause Im not a fan of any of the YouTube videos.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Fintile get the catted x pipe. I got the BBK headers with catted x pipe and Borla ataks. I can take a video of it tomorrow and post up the link.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
Fintile get the catted x pipe. I got the BBK headers with catted x pipe and Borla ataks. I can take a video of it tomorrow and post up the link.
That would be great! I got a chance to hear a GT with a Bassani X pipe and exhaust. Sounded mean. Nothing like I've heard on any videos. They all sound so high pitched like the bass was turned off and the treble was too high.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #26

Doing the same with my '13. Seems every time im ready to order them American muscle is out of stock though. The borla looks like the better way to go with no need for soldering the o2 sensors to make them longer. Over all I think it's more than worth it to get a stronger sound out of a great looking American icon
Mike_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_gs View Post
Doing the same with my '13. Seems every time im ready to order them American muscle is out of stock though. The borla looks like the better way to go with no need for soldering the o2 sensors to make them longer. Over all I think it's more than worth it to get a stronger sound out of a great looking American icon
The O2 sensor extension problem was when they first came out. They fixed that a long time ago bro
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

That would be great! I got a chance to hear a GT with a Bassani X pipe and exhaust. Sounded mean. Nothing like I've heard on any videos. They all sound so high pitched like the bass was turned off and the treble was too high.
Get a speaker system like me. I jam out in the mornings and I fooled with exhaust videos. You'll see what I mean if you drop $30 on a cheap set with sub.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Get a speaker system like me. I jam out in the mornings and I fooled with exhaust videos. You'll see what I mean if you drop $30 on a cheap set with sub.
Might have to try that.

Mike_gs: take a look at Stage3 and the Basani header/exhaust set up. Sounds nice!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Are the BBK headers and off road x pipe really that loud. Lol. Can a car that is traveling next to you hear your exhaust or engine roar while crusing at a constant speed
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I still can't be convinced to spend the 600+ for some headers that I don't think are really giving you the gains you think it is. My theory is the cat delete or swap to high flow cats is giving you at least half of that gain you are seeing. I plan on doing just the car delete and x pipe for now and see what kind of time I can put down. I should be getting near 12.9 once I get my suspension parts on and DS on. I literally have a pile of parts that need to go on but I'm headed out of town for business today.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I still can't be convinced to spend the 600+ for some headers that I don't think are really giving you the gains you think it is. My theory is the cat delete or swap to high flow cats is giving you at least half of that gain you are seeing. I plan on doing just the car delete and x pipe for now and see what kind of time I can put down. I should be getting near 12.9 once I get my suspension parts on and DS on. I literally have a pile of parts that need to go on but I'm headed out of town for business today.
Keep us up dated. If that give you a decent enough increase then I may just do that as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #33

Quote:

The O2 sensor extension problem was when they first came out. They fixed that a long time ago bro
Maybe it has, I'm not sure. Every bbk set up I have seen on American muscle just comes with extensions you have to splice in and solder together. If there is a better set up that you don't have to do extensions on or buy the longer sensor/wires with that would be fantastic. But as of now I have only seen that on the borla set up.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_gs View Post

Maybe it has, I'm not sure. Every bbk set up I have seen on American muscle just comes with extensions you have to splice in and solder together. If there is a better set up that you don't have to do extensions on or buy the longer sensor/wires with that would be fantastic. But as of now I have only seen that on the borla set up.
Ummm thats wrong. The reason you dont see o2 extensions or any o2 related problems with borla because they ONLY offer the offroad X-Pipe. Sh*t if u wanted to do that u can do it with bbk for 300 less than borla lol look into before u say its the ONLY setup that has that.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #35

Quote:

Ummm thats wrong. The reason you dont see o2 extensions or any o2 related problems with borla because they ONLY offer the offroad X-Pipe. Sh*t if u wanted to do that u can do it with bbk for 300 less than borla lol look into before u say its the ONLY setup that has that.
On the off road headers the borla and the bbk do not require extensions. What I was referring to is that if it was worth it to someone to go catted bbk and do the soldering themselves great, but for me I would be happy to go no catts to not have the headache of doing it and swapping with oem for inspection since tx does have a smog compliance. Only thing that sux is the dps here has been known to check if you have catts if they think you're runnin a little loud.

That being said if you go with the catted from bbk you are shipped (2) 12" extensions.

Sorry if I was unclear. Trying to work, research and post at the same time.

Either way anyone decides to go the headers, x-pipe and an axle back exhaust is a great improvement to any v6 stang.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang