Driveshaft??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Driveshaft???

Hey guys I have a 2013 v6 auto and I'm looking to see if it has the crappy driveshaft or the good one how can I tell I want to know because I want to install 373 gears and don't wanna do it if I have the crappy one I don't want it to blow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmo View Post
Hey guys I have a 2013 v6 auto and I'm looking to see if it has the crappy driveshaft or the good one how can I tell I want to know because I want to install 373 gears and don't wanna do it if I have the crappy one I don't want it to blow
Hi, lots of threads on this. Did you know GTs have had more drive shaft failures then the V6? So far only 3 failures can be found on the internet and 2 of those are not the factory driveshaft.

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures of the MT82 have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I think the "obsession" of one Youtube video of a guy driving 135 with a camcorder in his hand is selling more driveshafts then Joe Biden in selling shotguns.

Can you give us a picture of your drive shaft?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Hi, lots of threads on this. Did you know GTs have had more drive shaft failures then the V6? So far only 3 failures can be found on the internet and 2 of those are not the factory driveshaft.

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I think the "obsession" of one Youtube video of a guy driving 135 with a camcorder in his hand is selling more driveshafts then Joe Biden in selling shotguns.

That sums it up! +1000000! This is my 13 ds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_185841.png
Views:	210
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	92159  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Look-up complaints on "safeCar" and hundreds of complaints of MT82 transmission problem and only one GT shaft failure. Yet folks with MTs are not asking if they should get a new transmission. These reported failures of the MT82 have caused crashes and injuries, yet no official reported complaints of a DS failure in a V6 yet, just a GT of a guys kid doing burnouts.

I'll jack up the car Tomorow and put a pic up. So would putting in the 373 gears harm the shaft in a way that I have to be worried I know it make the drive shaft spin harder so it works harder than factory gears.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll jack up the car Tomorow and put a pic up. So would putting in the 373 gears harm the shaft in a way that I have to be worried I know it make the drive shaft spin harder so it works harder than factory gears.
How much torque you going to add beyond stock or will the engine stay stock? How much "abuse" will you be giving it? That will give info to folks that know more than I do to help answer it.

Look up AL shaft failures on GTs. While the new quality AL shafts being put out are great, any shaft can fail and many aftermarket ones have on GTs and 2 V6s so far before they fixed an issue.

Any time you seriously are worried about a shaft stock or aftermarket , safety U-loops are a risk mitigating factor on the track in hi-impact situations.

Are you just planing to street jumping a little at a light way under the speed limit, or are you seriously going to push it hard on the track?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much torque you going to add beyond stock or will the engine stay stock? How much "abuse" will you be giving it? That will give info to folks that know more than I do to help answer it.

Look up AL shaft failures on GTs. While the new quality AL shafts being put out are great, any shaft can fail and many aftermarket ones have on GTs and 2 V6s so far before they fixed an issue.

Any time you seriously are worried about a shaft stock or aftermarket , safety U-loops are a risk mitigating factor on the track in hi-impact situations.

Are you just planing to street jumping a little at a light way under the speed limit, or are you seriously going to push it hard on the track?
I'm not planning on killing the engine but I want that extra power that I know this motor is capable of mostly street driving and maybe track just 1 time after everything is done I plan on doing just bolt ons like axle back exaust cai tune and possibly headers down the road and the 373 gears I just don't want to end up like that video lol that scared the hell out of me lol
Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmo
You have the same DS as the 2011-2012. Crappy 2-piece steel shaft, weighs 28.2 lbs.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not planning on killing the engine but I want that extra power that I know this motor is capable of mostly street driving and maybe track just 1 time after everything is done I plan on doing just bolt ons like axle back exaust cai tune and possibly headers down the road and the 373 gears I just don't want to end up like that video lol that scared the hell out of me lol
Yep that video is scaring a bunch of folks

So, how many 2011+ folks do you think have already done what you propose and not had an issue? Remember on the street you wont be doing anything but jump a little under the speed limit, not be doing 135 like the "Perp" in the fail video.

Just a thought and now I will bow out of the discussion and let the pros provide guidance.

Art
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

on American muscle that v6 is doing 11s which is probably a lot faster than I will go but the aluminum ds is still together with no problems at all
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i feel you dude i want to add 3.73 on my car to but im scared because of the ds and im standard
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
i feel you dude i want to add 3.73 on my car to but im scared because of the ds and im standard
Really? I would be A LOT more worried about transmission failure! C'on people! Mass hysteria!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I myself fell a victim to this driveshaft thing. I just received my one piece aluminum driveshaft today from of course American Muscle along with the 3:73 gears that will be installed this Monday on my 11 V6. I just pulled the trigger on the driveshaft mainly because my understanding its around 30 less pounds of rotational mass which will cause the car to accelerate faster. Plus have the added protection should I be in a legal situation to safely drive at 150 MPH without worrying about the driveshaft. I myself am just doing bolt on mods. Currently running a 91 Hybrid performance tune, CAI, Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system, having the aluminium driveshaft and 3:73 gears installed. Next month I will add BBK headers and off road x pipe. Then done on my mods.

If you have the money, go for the one piece aluminum driveshaft. If nothing else the new aluminum driveshaft will give you better acceleration off the line which is something the 11 plus V6 could use
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Im buying a custom made one for $300..... Have fun spending 700 guys hahaha why dont u just look around town for a shop that makes them.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I myself fell a victim to this driveshaft thing. I just received my one piece aluminum driveshaft today from of course American Muscle along with the 3:73 gears that will be installed this Monday on my 11 V6. I just pulled the trigger on the driveshaft mainly because my understanding its around 30 less pounds of rotational mass which will cause the car to accelerate faster. Plus have the added protection should I be in a legal situation to safely drove at 150 MPH without worrying about the driveshaft. I myself am just doing bolt on mods. Currently running a 91 Hybrid performance tune, CAI, Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system, having the aluminium driveshaft and 3:73 gears installed. Next month I will add BBK headers and off road x pipe. Then done on my mods.

If you have the money, go for the one piece aluminum driveshaft. If nothing else the new aluminum driveshaft will give you better acceleration off the line which is something the 11 plus V6 could use
That's exactly the reason why anyone should replace their ds! 1. Rotational mass reduction, 2 planning on race like conditions.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos
Im buying a custom made one for $300..... Have fun spending 700 guys hahaha why dont u just look around town for a shop that makes them.
Where about can you get a custom driveshaft made specifically for your car for 300$? Even if that is true, I would rather pay double the $ for one that comes from a shop that specializes in driveshafts and one that balances the shaft at high RPMs. Also one that has spends hundreds of hours customizing and making the shaft 100% fail-proof.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Where about can you get a custom driveshaft made specifically for your car for 300$? Even if that is true, I would rather pay double the $ for one that comes from a shop that specializes in driveshafts and one that balances the shaft at high RPMs. Also one that has spends hundreds of hours customizing and making the shaft 100% fail-proof.
Lmfao this shop literally only makes driveshafts for full drag cars. My uncle is good friends for the shop and is gna have one made for my car which they usually dont do low HP cars. They make drive shafts that handle 600+ TQ and very high RPM. You may spend ur money and buy your products the way you want sir im just saying u can do that or just find a shop that makes custom drive shafts
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know that American Muscle gets their aluminum driveshafts from The Axle Exchange which from my understanding makes excellent driveshafts. To say the driveshaft from American Muscle is better or worse than the driveshaft from the driveshaft shop, I have no clue. I'm sure both company's make a very good quality driveshaft that will hold up to high speeds in excess of 150 plus and give you a noticeable difference in acceleration. I'm just partial to American Muscle because there ***** is on the money and the best customer service. I don't think AM carries crap mustang products. I have the belief of, if American Muscle is selling something then it ain't garbage. Besides I have never read or heard a bad experience of a driveshaft which American Muscle has sold that has exploded. I have spoken with American Muscle and they say the driveshaft they sell is top quality and I for one believe them.

I actually looked at the driveshaft shop web site and according to their site they no longer sell a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs. They have listed the shafts for the 5.0's but none for the V6 model. A member on this forum told me they just recently called Shaftmasters and they no longer make the one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs.

Thanks to all you folks on here and the talk of this driveshaft thing my wallet fell victim to buying one. If for no other reason your rotational mass will be greatly cut down and you can pull the car harder and better off the line acceleration. I think AM and others claim you can cut your acceleration down by .2 tenths. Heck, you got 11 plus v6 folks running 5.1 to 5.2 0-60 with no mods, stock tires and 3:31gears. Add a one piece aluminum driveshaft and your down to 4.9 to 5.0 0-60 and you still ain't got a performance tuner, CAI, 3:73 gears,headers and off road x pipe. With those type of mods, one could be at 4.5 to 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby of a little V6 and some bolt on mods .

Get that driveshaft!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know that American Muscle gets their aluminum driveshafts from The Axle Exchange which from my understanding makes excellent driveshafts. To say the driveshaft from American Muscle is better or worse than the driveshaft from the driveshaft shop, I have no clue. I'm sure both company's make a very good quality driveshaft that will hold up to high speeds in excess of 150 plus and give you a noticeable difference in acceleration. I'm just partial to American Muscle because there ***** is on the money and the best customer service. I don't think AM carries crap mustang products. I have the belief of, if American Muscle is selling something then it ain't garbage. Besides I have never read or heard a bad experience of a driveshaft which American Muscle has sold that has exploded. I have spoken with American Muscle and they say the driveshaft they sell is top quality and I for one believe them.

I actually looked at the driveshaft shop web site and according to their site they no longer sell a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs. They have listed the shafts for the 5.0's but none for the V6 model. A member on this forum told me they just recently called Shaftmasters and they no longer make the one piece aluminum driveshaft for the 11-13 v6 mustangs.

Thanks to all you folks on here and the talk of this driveshaft thing my wallet fell victim to buying one. If for no other reason your rotational mass will be greatly cut down and you can pull the car harder and better off the line acceleration. I think AM and others claim you can cut your acceleration down by .2 tenths. Heck, you got 11 plus v6 folks running 5.1 to 5.2 0-60 with no mods, stock tires and 3:31gears. Add a one piece aluminum driveshaft and your down to 4.9 to 5.0 0-60 and you still ain't got a performance tuner, CAI, 3:73 gears,headers and off road x pipe. With those type of mods, one could be at 4.5 to 4.7 0-60. Not too shabby of a little V6 and some bolt on mods .

Get that driveshaft!
That would probably be the best option and 4.5-4.7 0-69 would be pretty sweet
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That would probably be the best option and 4.5-4.7 0-69 would be pretty sweet
Did you get yours yet?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

$300.00 Aluminum driveshaft ??

Charllie_Santos said:
Quote:
He also said:

Quote:
Lmfao this shop literally only makes driveshafts for full drag cars. My uncle is good friends for the shop and is gna have one made for my car which they usually dont do low HP cars. They make drive shafts that handle 600+ TQ and very high RPM. You may spend ur money and buy your products the way you want sir im just saying u can do that or just find a shop that makes custom drive shafts
Translated that means if you have an Uncle or Father or any other family member or friend that is friends with the shop that builds drive shafts you can have them make you a one off special for a very huge discount price.

Charlie paid $300.00 which means if the shop was to sell them on the open market they would at least be double plus any shipping so about $650.00 to $700.00 or more retail.

It's not everybody that has friends in a business that makes drives shafts so even if you did find someone to make you a one off product you probably would still pay more.

Ronnie
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Charllie_Santos said:

He also said:

Translated that means if you have an Uncle or Father or any other family member or friend that is friends with the shop that builds drive shafts you can have them make you a one off special for a very huge discount price.

Charlie paid $300.00 which means if the shop was to sell them on the open market they would at least be double plus any shipping so about $650.00 to $700.00 or more retail.

It's not everybody that has friends in a business that makes drives shafts so even if you did find someone to make you a one off product you probably would still pay more.

Ronnie
I actually ended up getting it free. My uncle paid for it as a birthday gift i was like oh snap! But yea my dads friend said he would normally charge anywhere from 500-800 depending on what material the customer wanted. If u wanted CF then its gna be more
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Nice going Charlie

That's what I meant. If they made one for someone they did not know it would have cost at least $700.00 but being a one off product I'm sure it would cost $800.00 or more.

Did you install it yet? If not get a scale and weigh it and let us know the weight. A photo would be nice too.

Free is a great price.

Ronnie
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what I meant. If they made one for someone they did not know it would have cost at least $700.00 but being a one off product I'm sure it would cost $800.00 or more.

Did you install it yet? If not get a scale and weigh it and let us know the weight. A photo would be nice too.

Free is a great price.

Ronnie
Yea installed it the day they finished it. It was 27lbs lighter than stock
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Any notice acceleration?

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote:

Did you get yours yet?
Not yet hopefully by the end of summer I gotta save up 700 is a lot of money when you have other bills.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Do you notice a difference ?

is the acceleration any better?
Any extra vibration?

Ronnie
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
is the acceleration any better?
Any extra vibration?

Ronnie
I do feel that its easier to accelerate my car. No vibrations so far so thats good.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So if your new "BARGAIN" drive shaft does break into little pieces, are you going to man-up Charlie and tell everyone about your 'BARGAIN" breaking?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
So if your new "BARGAIN" drive shaft does break into little pieces, are you going to man-up Charlie and tell everyone about your 'BARGAIN" breaking?
Lmfao i hit 150 on I10 E last night for a good 5min and nothing happened. I told you it was built by a shop that literally ONLY makes driveshafts and makes them for customers across the US you really think they will sell a DS if they cant back up their work? My DS can handle 200MPH safely if my car could push it that far. If my driveshaft fails and explodes i will personally make a video apologizing hahaha but like i said its from a shop that only makes DS for a living. They ripped out my DS took its dimensions and made me a new one by the end of the following day. They were pretty quick about it. I got to see the balancing machine. Lemme tell you i was afraid of the driveshaft blowing up hahaha but na it stayed perfectly in tact like a champ!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

27 lbs lighter than stock? The stock driveshaft weighs 28 pounds..bro you totally sound like you have no clue what your talking about. Why dont u take a photo of your custom driveshaft...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Stock driveshaft is 43 pounds

Depending on the aluminum used it would be 16 to 20 pounds lighter

A carbon fiber driveshaft is even lighter but I really don't know if it would last a couple hundred thousand miles of street driving like the aluminum one will.

The stock driveshaft is heavy , weak, and the slider is a really crap design.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Depending on the aluminum used it would be 16 to 20 pounds lighter
The stock DS on a 2011+ V6 is NOT 43 lbs. That is the GT driveshaft! The 2011+ V6 stock DS weighs 28.2 lbs.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

27 lbs lighter than stock? The stock driveshaft weighs 28 pounds..bro you totally sound like you have no clue what your talking about. Why dont u take a photo of your custom driveshaft...
Lol. +1

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The stock DS on a 2011+ V6 is NOT 43 lbs. That is the GT driveshaft! The 2011+ V6 stock DS weighs 28.2 lbs.
So if that info is correct there would be very little performance gain compared to the stock ds other than the 135+ mph benefit?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...um-driveshaft/

See read there...an aluminum DS will save you about 8 lbs on the V6. No where near 27 lbs.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Closed. Speed of 150 MPH being posted on public roads will not lead to anything constructive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang