Aluminum or Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Aluminum or Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

Not getting much love over in the "track" section so I thought I would try here......

I'm looking into a new drive shaft for my mustang but I'm not sure what is better. I know the carbon is the lighter of the two but it is also not as torsionally stiff. In my mind that means it wouldn't be the best for the drag strip since you want your power going to the wheels and not into twisting the DS.... Am I correct in saying that the aluminum one is better for my application because it is more stiff even though the carbon weight about 2Lb's less?

I asked the manufacturer and they said the carbon is the better choice but you have to think they would say that because it is also more expensive.... Here is exactly what they had to say...

"the carbon is more torsional than aluminum but its what helps, during loading it twists about 30 degrees so it will not shock the tires
loose. also when it unloads it does it at a slower rate then a Steel or aluminum so again its not shocking the tires loose. most cars
will see a .01 to .003 60ft increase alone from this shaft. "

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm really not sure what to think now...
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Not getting much love over in the "track" section so I thought I would try here......

I'm looking into a new drive shaft for my mustang but I'm not sure what is better. I know the carbon is the lighter of the two but it is also not as torsionally stiff. In my mind that means it wouldn't be the best for the drag strip since you want your power going to the wheels and not into twisting the DS.... Am I correct in saying that the aluminum one is better for my application because it is more stiff even though the carbon weight about 2Lb's less?

I asked the manufacturer and they said the carbon is the better choice but you have to think they would say that because it is also more expensive.... Here is exactly what they had to say...

"the carbon is more torsional than aluminum but its what helps, during loading it twists about 30 degrees so it will not shock the tires
loose. also when it unloads it does it at a slower rate then a Steel or aluminum so again its not shocking the tires loose. most cars
will see a .01 to .003 60ft increase alone from this shaft. "

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm really not sure what to think now...
Go with aluminum. It's cheaper and holds up better to drag racing. It also functions the same as the carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is just a little lighter.
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Aluminum, the CF isn't worth the dropping 2 more lbs for $400 more. Both are usually rated over 900 hp so it doesn't matter that much as far as power and twisting the DS

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Aluminum, the CF isn't worth the dropping 2 more lbs for $400 more. Both are usually rated over 900 hp so it doesn't matter that much as far as power and twisting the DS
This

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang