Weird Acceleration noise of 2013 v6 Mustang!!!!!!!Please help!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Weird Acceleration noise of 2013 v6 Mustang!!!!!!!Please help!!!!

I had this new 13 v6 automatic mustang for only 600 miles. However, the weird sound has been there for a month. When I try to start moving after the stop signs, the car sometimes will have a popping (clicking) sound coming from the front in low rpm(usually 0.9k). It didn't show every time I accelerate after a stop sign, but for the most of time it is there. Also, the car is a little slow before that sound, it speeds up after that sound.(there is a small bumping feeling when the car make that sound). Took it to the dealer twice, they said everything is fine, we didn't hear any abnormal sound.
I read some thread says it's the defective front lower control arm bushing, however, there is no weird sound when the car pass a speed bump. it happens only when I try to accelerate from stop.

Is there anyone know the problem?
Josephtsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephtsai View Post
I had this new 13 v6 automatic mustang for only 600 miles. However, the weird sound has been there for a month. When I try to start moving after the stop signs, the car sometimes will have a popping (clicking) sound coming from the front in low rpm(usually 0.9k). It didn't show every time I accelerate after a stop sign, but for the most of time it is there. Also, the car is a little slow before that sound, it speeds up after that sound.(there is a small bumping feeling when the car make that sound). Took it to the dealer twice, they said everything is fine, we didn't hear any abnormal sound.
I read some thread says it's the defective front lower control arm bushing, however, there is no weird sound when the car pass a speed bump. it happens only when I try to accelerate from stop.

Is there anyone know the problem?

Like when you come to a stop light, you hear it click then it kinda slugs a little then goes?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly, do u know what's the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yep. What it is from constant reading on here is driveshaft play and the auto with 2.73 gears. Alot have this problem but people think we are crazy because they don't pay this much attention to the car. New gears, aluminum shaft, intake or a tune will fix this. The auto in the v6 and the engine being a Ti-VCT has to slowly decide which gear and at which speed to be in. It gets confused since at idle it is in 2nd (least mine is) I counted the down shifts. Then one you go it is in first then shifts back up like normal.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, thanks. But is there anything I can do not to void the warranty? Since it only has 600miles on it.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Well, thanks. But is there anything I can do not to void the warranty? Since it only has 600miles on it.
Take a svc tech fir a ride. It should be in 1st gear at idol. Try putting it in first gear manually when you come to a stoo and see if it happens.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank, and also, every morning the first 1mile will not have this problem, it seems that it needs to be warmed up to show the prob.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Take a svc tech fir a ride. It should be in 1st gear at idol. Try putting it in first gear manually when you come to a stoo and see if it happens.
Mine does in 2nd and stays in second until I accelerate. Then pops down into first. It's weird as hell but both my hometown and actual dealer said it was mostly normal. They said gears would fix that though. Remember also these cars have more hp than torque.

I put it in 1st manually and problem solved. Or just hard launch it for a second

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Thank, and also, every morning the first 1mile will not have this problem, it seems that it needs to be warmed up to show the prob.
Also, try this. Pull fuse number 47 for ten minutes then put it back in. Drive. See what your results were.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Whitelightning;1540202"]

Mine does in 2nd and stays in second until I accelerate. Then pops down into first. It's weird as hell but both my hometown and actual dealer said it was mostly normal. They said gears would fix that though. Remember also these cars have more hp than torque.

I put it in 1st manually and problem solved. Or just hard launch it for a second

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Your dealer is yanking your chain. If you come to a complete stop your car should shift to 1st gear. If a rolling stop perhaps not but like you say then it depends on throttle. When coming to a complete stop if your auto takes off in 2nd it is not normal.
Granted mine has 3:31 but my buddy has 2:73 with no issues.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I think my problem is that when I gently step on the gas pedal(really gently) , it's fine; a little fierce, it's screwed. I think it might use 2nd to take off sometimes. That just explains the bumping feeling, cuz throttle delay shouldn't bump. But how can I know what dear it's in? Mine is the basic V6 with no information display.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Fuse 47 is for throttle delay right? I will try but throttle delay shouldn't have that bumping feeling.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I think my problem is that when I gently step on the gas pedal(really gently) , it's fine; a little fierce, it's screwed. I think it might use 2nd to take off sometimes. That just explains the bumping feeling, cuz throttle delay shouldn't bump. But how can I know what dear it's in? Mine is the basic V6 with no information display.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Fuse 47 is for throttle delay right? I will try but throttle delay shouldn't have that bumping feeling.
There is a slight bump because of the driveshaft but you will get used to it. Rather than count downshifts count up shifts from a stop. If I'm just cruising mine will be in 6 th by 40mph and I can count all the shifts. Also manually put your car in 1st and see if you feel the bump when you take off.

Also try one more test for spitz n giggles. Put your 13 in S mode and don't use the +\- to shift and see what it does.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Fuse 47 controls your driving learning. It fixes mine for awhile. For the gears I just count my gear shifts. It only shifts down 4 times. Meaning second. Then it'll drop mid throttle then go. It's so weird cause it feels like it stalls out then goes.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So did u try going to the dealer to fix it?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Fuse 47 controls your driving learning. It fixes mine for awhile. For the gears I just count my gear shifts. It only shifts down 4 times. Meaning second. Then it'll drop mid throttle then go. It's so weird cause it feels like it stalls out then goes.
My fiance's '12 Focus does that exact same thing where it feels like it's going to stall out. It drives me nuts but the dealer keeps saying everything is normal. It literally sounds like she's driving a manual when she starts moving when it bogs down and then gets moving.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

and how did you fix it? Or you did't ?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

For the mustang I've pulled that fuse from time to time. Number 47 and leave it out. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem with a lower gear ratio like 3.31 and up. I'm hoping a cold air intake will help with some of it. Or enter yet a tuner
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post

My fiance's '12 Focus does that exact same thing where it feels like it's going to stall out. It drives me nuts but the dealer keeps saying everything is normal. It literally sounds like she's driving a manual when she starts moving when it bogs down and then gets moving.
The Focus automatic is the same trans as in my daughters Fiesta. In reality it is a manual trans with a dual automated clutch. Essentially two 3 speeds In one. I know sounds stupid but read your manual and google it. Ours got real hesitant and rough. Found out there is a TSB on it. Took it in and there were some bad seals. Fixed it runs like new again. But still feels like you let a clutch out when taking off. Because it is. Automatically so to speak. Ever notice that at idle on flat ground it doesn't creep forward like with a torque converter?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

The Focus automatic is the same trans as in my daughters Fiesta. In reality it is a manual trans with a dual automated clutch. Essentially two 3 speeds In one. I know sounds stupid but read your manual and google it. Ours got real hesitant and rough. Found out there is a TSB on it. Took it in and there were some bad seals. Fixed it runs like new again. But still feels like you let a clutch out when taking off. Because it is. Automatically so to speak. Ever notice that at idle on flat ground it doesn't creep forward like with a torque converter?
That's pretty interesting. Yeah her's went in for a TSB to prevent it from rolling backwards when in gear or in reverse and it got rid of that. That issue caught me by surprise a ton of times when trying to parallel park. But now that you explained how it works I totally see why it doesn't move on it's own when you take your foot off the brake. The car doesn't really shift that bad especially after it got the TSB taken care of, just seems like it's confused at times as to what gear to be in when you're a low speeds or trying to turn into a driveway or something. The sport mode is moderately fun though, almost shifts better that way haha.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had an auto focus a few months ago as a rental and could punch the gas quickly to the floor and release it and the car would not even move? F'up! When taking off from a start it almost felt like it was in neutrel before it kicked in gear.I could actually rev it to about 1k slowly before the car would start to move. I hope the auto stangs are not like that! I find Ford autos to be very sluggish and clumsy especially when pushing it, also lots of rev hang imo.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I had an auto focus a few months ago as a rental and could punch the gas quickly to the floor and release it and the car would not even move? F'up! When taking off from a start it almost felt like it was in neutrel before it kicked in gear.I could actually rev it to about 1k slowly before the car would start to move. I hope the auto stangs are not like that! I find Ford autos to be very sluggish and clumsy especially when pushing it, also lots of rev hang imo.
The Mustangs are not like that. Mustang has a torque converted true automatic. The Fiesta/Focus is an automated manual trans. Just as your rpms go up as you disengage your clutch. Of course they don't tell you this when you buy it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

The Mustangs are not like that. Mustang has a torque converted true automatic. The Fiesta/Focus is an automated manual trans. Just as your rpms go up as you disengage your clutch. Of course they don't tell you this when you buy it.
Whew! The auto mustang guys deserve better than that! My late 90s auto stang was a slushbox, glad to hear there better now!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Whew! The auto mustang guys deserve better than that! My late 90s auto stang was a slushbox, glad to hear there better now!
Yeah Mike I really like mine and I've been driving manuals for years. My 65 289 Stang was slushy until I put a shift kit in it. The early Ford automatic tranny's didn't hold a candle to Mopar Torqeflights IMHO. Much better now.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So I do check the shifting, it does start to take off from 1st, I think the sound comes before shifting to 2nd. I haven't try unplug the fuse47. If this is a prob of driveshaft, then why it happens only when I try to accelerate after come to a stop?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and how did you fix it? Or you did't ?
Hard to diagnose without hearing it. But try something. Open your hood without the engine running. Push down and up on one fender at a time and see if you have that noise coming from your lower control arm on either side. Eliminate that possibility before we think about the transmission. It may not be noticeable yet on speed bumps.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I do check the shifting, it does start to take off from 1st, I think the sound comes before shifting to 2nd. I haven't try unplug the fuse47. If this is a prob of driveshaft, then why it happens only when I try to accelerate after come to a stop?
Idk. I've read on here a few times that the v6 has a tiny but of play due to the shaft being two piece. Try that fuse one night when you gotta go to the store or something.

See that black rubber piece holding the two together? There is your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2835150579.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	92993  
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Idk. I've read on here a few times that the v6 has a tiny but of play due to the shaft being two piece. Try that fuse one night when you gotta go to the store or something.

See that black rubber piece holding the two together? There is your problem.
I believe he said the sound is coming from the front of his car. The DS joint is in the center. I may be wrong but just don't see it making the sound he describes. Play yes but nothing annoying. Even a solid DS is going to have play in the U joints where they connect. And they can break too.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

That's right, it does coming from the front. I will try unplug fuse 47 tommrrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's right, it does coming from the front. I will try unplug fuse 47 tommrrow.
Did you test for the lower control arms like I suggested?

And I don't know but I've read that removing the fuse will be shown by the ECU and a dealer might question it. I did it but it did nothing. Placebo effect IMHO. Poor throttle response, transmission adapted to easy driving etc is not going to create that noise. If you want it to shift more aggressively drive it harder. In fact stick it in S and just drive it for a day or two. You will find D mode will then shift better. It is adaptive learning. Teach it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe he said the sound is coming from the front of his car. The DS joint is in the center. I may be wrong but just don't see it making the sound he describes. Play yes but nothing annoying. Even a solid DS is going to have play in the U joints where they connect. And they can break too.
I'm still ranting on about the lag, sorry lol

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Did you test for the lower control arms like I suggested?

And I don't know but I've read that removing the fuse will be shown by the ECU and a dealer might question it. I did it but it did nothing. Placebo effect IMHO. Poor throttle response, transmission adapted to easy driving etc is not going to create that noise. If you want it to shift more aggressively drive it harder. In fact stick it in S and just drive it for a day or two. You will find D mode will then shift better. It is adaptive learning. Teach it.
I taught mine. It didn't shift as bad but for some reason, the master reset is best. Idk if it shows on PCM but it it like right next to the fuse box. If they questioned me I would be honest with them. Tell them what's up an tell them why I did it. It'll show either your arrogance or your ability to not fool around. All in how you word it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't yet cuz it's raining hard outside, but I will try as soon as the weather gets better, btw, where do u guys get ur car? I got it from Lindsay Ford, Wheaton, MD
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't yet cuz it's raining hard outside, but I will try as soon as the weather gets better, btw, where do u guys get ur car? I got it from Lindsay Ford, Wheaton, MD
Upland Ford
Upland California
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Long Lewis ford in Hoover, Alabama. But I live in Alexander city. 2 hours away.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hard to diagnose without hearing it. But try something. Open your hood without the engine running. Push down and up on one fender at a time and see if you have that noise coming from your lower control arm on either side. Eliminate that possibility before we think about the transmission. It may not be noticeable yet on speed bumps.
So I did what you recommend, however, there is no sound. Also how can I upload the pics cuz I took the picture about the lower control arm. It also has the serial No starts with 1207...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I did what you recommend, however, there is no sound. Also how can I upload the pics cuz I took the picture about the lower control arm. It also has the serial No starts with 1207...
As long has you bounced it hard and there is no sound then we can rule that out. No idea how to upload pics. Can you try to describe the problem in different words?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

okay, so it feels like after I release the brake and step on the gas, the brake still slightly kissing the plate, thus cause a sound like "Da!" before it completely separates from the plate.(That's just how I feel about the sound and bumping, may not be real scenario or problem) After all, it explains for the reason why car speeds up a little after the sound and bump. Every morning when I fire the car and start driving, the first 0.1-0.2 mile never have that sound. It's just annoying. Mustang is the dream car for me before I came to US (I am a international student study at U of Maryland). But now...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang