BBK Shorty headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
BBK Shorty headers

This may just be a rumor that if floating around some of the forums but I have caught wind of BBK planning to come out with shorty headers for the 3.7 mustang in the next 3-6 weeks...... dont lynch me if it doesnt happen but i think the 3.7 is about to get some love!!!!!!!!!
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
This may just be a rumor that if floating around some of the forums but I have caught wind of BBK planning to come out with shorty headers for the 3.7 mustang in the next 3-6 weeks...... dont lynch me if it doesnt happen but i think the 3.7 is about to get some love!!!!!!!!!
Those are pointless unless for turbo applications
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

wont know till we see them in a dyno.... I know the stock headers flow pretty well but some may be interested in these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
wont know till we see them in a dyno.... I know the stock headers flow pretty well but some may be interested in these
Everyone knows Shorty's are for turbo's only? Anyone can tell u that bro.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thats far from true my friend. unless you were being sarcastic, manny people prefer the shorties over LT's. Wheather it is for sound or performance, some people are going to want shorties. That's just the way it is, we both know that.... kinda like trying to convince a ricer that his fart can does not give him bigger balls, you can tell him all day long but he's still going to tear thru first gear at a heart stoping 15mph when he passes the cheerleaders thinking he is the ****.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats far from true my friend. unless you were being sarcastic, manny people prefer the shorties over LT's. Wheather it is for sound or performance, some people are going to want shorties. That's just the way it is, we both know that.... kinda like trying to convince a ricer that his fart can does not give him bigger balls, you can tell him all day long but he's still going to tear thru first gear at a heart stoping 15mph when he passes the cheerleaders thinking he is the ****.
Shortys do not provide much HP gain compared to LT but honestly ive only ever seen them used with Turbo's bro but yea u have a point bro i love ur example hahaha
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't mind getting shorties. Just to be different also mine is still a DD so it'll be perfect.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Shortys do not provide much HP gain compared to LT but honestly ive only ever seen them used with Turbo's bro but yea u have a point bro i love ur example hahaha
I know what your getting at brother, in fact, i think the shorties will provide less gain than the LT headers do to be honest. the real question is will it give you a HP and torque bump where as the LT headers give a great HP bump but you loose a touch of torque. If the shorties give only say 15hp gain but a 10 wheel torque gain as well then some might see it as a worthwhile investment..... as far as turbo go's, i have no idea.... we will have to wait and see what BBK has in the works
Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know what your getting at brother, in fact, i think the shorties will provide less gain than the LT headers do to be honest. the real question is will it give you a HP and torque bump where as the LT headers give a great HP bump but you loose a touch of torque. If the shorties give only say 15hp gain but a 10 wheel torque gain as well then some might see it as a worthwhile investment..... as far as turbo go's, i have no idea.... we will have to wait and see what BBK has in the works
I prefer HP since i have Gears to help on my torque issue :p
Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
I wouldn't mind getting shorties. Just to be different also mine is still a DD so it'll be perfect.
Same here. I drive 100 mile round trip for my job. I don't want a buzzing, droned over headache before 9:30 every morning. I'm going with shorties because it'll look nice seeing chrome/ceramic and having a wee better sound. I'm going with roush too so it'll be perfect.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote:

I prefer HP since i have Gears to help on my torque issue :p
But! Dear sir, gears don't exactly give you torque numbers. They yield a faster 0-60 time with what little torque our cars have.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Same here. I drive 100 mile round trip for my job. I don't want a buzzing, droned over headache before 9:30 every morning. I'm going with shorties because it'll look nice seeing chrome/ceramic and having a wee better sound. I'm going with roush too so it'll be perfect.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

But! Dear sir, gears don't exactly give you torque numbers. They yield a faster 0-60 time with what little torque our cars have.
Yea i know they are called torque multipliers because they dont actually give u torque but make u spin ur wheels as if you did
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: New York
I look at it this way. The shorties will flow better than stock manifolds giving more power and torque. A bump on power and torque is always a good thing no matter how much. Not to mention you would be ready for a turbo any time you want one. I would also assume they would be better than long tubes for the states with strict emissions laws.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
I look at it this way. The shorties will flow better than stock manifolds giving more power and torque. A bump on power and torque is always a good thing no matter how much. Not to mention you would be ready for a turbo any time you want one. I would also assume they would be better than long tubes for the states with strict emissions laws.
Emissions are okay with a catted mid pipe thats all that counts bro
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Emissions are okay with a catted mid pipe thats all that counts bro
Have you done a smog check on your catted x pipe? Did u pass?
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc3.71994 View Post

Have you done a smog check on your catted x pipe? Did u pass?
Yup it passes bro
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
They have been taking order for the Short Tube or Long Tube headers for about a month American Muscle Mustang Parts.

2010-2014 Mustang Shorty Headers at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Shorties are a good replacement for stock exhaust manifolds for looks, and their ease of installation. Other than that, they do not offer much in the way of performance. If you're going to spend the money and time replacing the stock exhaust manifolds, buy a set of long tube headers.

If you want flash and easy install, then the shorties are for you. Just don't expect any big performance gains.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Shorties are a good replacement for stock exhaust manifolds for looks, and their ease of installation. Other than that, they do not offer much in the way of performance. If you're going to spend the money and time replacing the stock exhaust manifolds, buy a set of long tube headers.

If you want flash and easy install, then the shorties are for you. Just don't expect any big performance gains.
Everyone forgets the damn sound aspect of a better flowing header. Js and the cooler temps of ceramics. Better for boosted cars too
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

This was a major part of my reasoning. If you go through the effort of removing stock manifolds to replace with headers, why not just go the way of long tube ones to maximize the gain? Short tube are better than stock, yes, but for the effort and price, not much in the way of performance.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Shorty headers don't prove much for power gains. Test proven. LTs allow a little more flow and have shown small gains. Watch longtubes vs shorty.
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This was a major part of my reasoning. If you go through the effort of removing stock manifolds to replace with headers, why not just go the way of long tube ones to maximize the gain? Short tube are better than stock, yes, but for the effort and price, not much in the way of performance.
I get to run my lethal performance H pipe with no modification. Once again, don't care over performance. Some stuff is just for show and sound. Plus they are like $350. Longs are almost $100 cause of that and the shorty pipe you have to buy as well
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I get to run my lethal performance H pipe with no modification. Once again, don't care over performance. Some stuff is just for show and sound. Plus they are like $350. Longs are almost $100 cause of that and the shorty pipe you have to buy as well
You get more sound with LT since u say u wabt sound.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:

You get even more airflow which makes more sound lol
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

aren't shorties supposed to help low end which means 0-60?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
Very little so little its not even noticable in my opinion but like he said he wants sound and looks not power
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You get more sound with LT since u say u wabt sound.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

You get even more airflow which makes more sound lol
But! Supercharger later.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But! Supercharger later.
Lol long tubes r better for S/C
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
All I can say is if I were going to do headers, it would be the shorties, long tubes are nice but even with a catted X-Pipe the car would never pass a visual inspection in most states.
Long Tube note
Quote:
Technical notes. Not legal for use on pollution controlled motor vehicles; intended for off road use only.
VS the Short Tube note
Quote:
Technical notes. Check local ordinances to ensure that this BBK product is legal for use in your state.
I live in a State where parts already have emission testing and the full state is not far behind, After fighting with the state of California more than 25 years ago about emission controls I will leave the stock Emissions in place. I am not going to change it back for emissions.
To all that are running High Flow Cats or Catless good luck and I hope you keep all of your old parts.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
All I can say is if I were going to do headers, it would be the shorties, long tubes are nice but even with a catted X-Pipe the car would never pass a visual inspection in most states.
Long Tube note
VS the Short Tube note
I live in a State where parts already have emission testing and the full state is not far behind, After fighting with the state of California more than 25 years ago about emission controls I will leave the stock Emissions in place. I am not going to change it back for emissions.
To all that are running High Flow Cats or Catless good luck and I hope you keep all of your old parts.
I run LT Headers and high flow catted xpipe. I pass both visual and emissions testing so long I have my street tune on acouple days prior to the testing. I just got my testing done a month ago. The inspector told me the LT were okay so long I have catalytic Converters. And since he saw them and did the smog/sniffer testing he passed me and I was on my way
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
F those shorties. I've been rolling a shorty my whole life and I was tired of it. That's why I got me a long one.. The ladies hate the shorty bro. Just saying. Ba ha ha haha
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Those are pointless unless for turbo applications
Even with a turbo, you have to have your own *custom* headers. Someone please correct me if in wrong.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

I run LT Headers and high flow catted xpipe. I pass both visual and emissions testing so long I have my street tune on acouple days prior to the testing. I just got my testing done a month ago. The inspector told me the LT were okay so long I have catalytic Converters. And since he saw them and did the smog/sniffer testing he passed me and I was on my way
Bro where did you get the carted x pipe? If I can get the catted x and long tubes, I will be happy chap.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Even with a turbo, you have to have your own *custom* headers. Someone please correct me if in wrong.
Nope
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I have seen Turbo Set ups that ran off the stock manifolds as well as some that came with there own headers, personally I would rather have the system that used its own header for flow purposes.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post

Bro where did you get the carted x pipe? If I can get the catted x and long tubes, I will be happy chap.
Bro its on American muscle lol btw I am selling mine for 300 compared to 450+ on american muscle
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

F those shorties. I've been rolling a shorty my whole life and I was tired of it. That's why I got me a long one.. The ladies hate the shorty bro. Just saying. Ba ha ha haha
hahaha I feel ya on that. I already have long tubes. I was jw.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang