Lowering install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lowering install

Been getting quotes from local mustang shops for install of springs/shocks/struts/PHB. Getting quotes of $670-$720 for labor! Seems a little steep to me, and that's not including alignment. What have others paid for install of similar equipment? For those that have installed on their own, where you able to install struts/shocks with standard hand tools?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
you can do it with a jack, jack stands and some good hand tools. I would also recommend a spring compressor. A torque wrench is also necessary. here are two links that will help you decide if you can do this yourself or not. I always recommend buying quality tools when posable, they will serve you well for years to come......

How to install Lowering Springs on your 2011-2013 Mustang - Free Shipping!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Ford Racing Lowering Springs Install - LatemodelRestoration.com Blog

J&M Mustang Adjustable Panhard Rod (05-10 V6; 05-11 GT, GT500) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! - Free Shipping!

good luck
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I'll check out those links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed my springs myself. Took 5hrs lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I want to say my install took near that long but I was in no rush and also spent time figuring out how all the suspension parts work together. I now have a much better understanding of our suspension which to me is worth the time and effort alone.

It sounds like you have bought the parts to do this properly (shock, struts, mounts ect) if you bought all those pieces then you should be able to pre assemble the front once you get the old stuff out (you will need the 21mm strut tower nut). The front is the more challenging part, if you can do that the rear is pretty easy.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Yea, I want to say my install took near that long but I was in no rush and also spent time figuring out how all the suspension parts work together. I now have a much better understanding of our suspension which to me is worth the time and effort alone.

It sounds like you have bought the parts to do this properly (shock, struts, mounts ect) if you bought all those pieces then you should be able to pre assemble the front once you get the old stuff out (you will need the 21mm strut tower nut). The front is the more challenging part, if you can do that the rear is pretty easy.
I've got everything priced out and ready to order. Wanted to get a handle on install before actually ordering. I'll spend some time going over the links you provided. I'll also call a few more shops, as I've read there are a few locally that are closer to $250 for labor. I like working on my car, but just imagining myself getting stuck with my front end half way torn apart scratching my head as bearings pour out of my strut mounts

Thanks again for the help! I appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Another question for anyone that has experience. Pros/Cons of keeping or removing the spring isolators? I heard the suspension is more likely to make odd noises if the isolators are removed.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If doing install on your own, do you have to have a spring compressor?
PBrown92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrown92 View Post
I believe autozone "rents" them. Or others have used a trick with a floor jack and jack stands.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I did the rear myself, then took my pony to a local "Oil & Lube Shop", the young guy
there torqued to spec my work, I even adjusted the panhard bar properly, I'll let a shop
do the front when I get the money for the struts & shocks. My car is level now.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That's another option I haven't thought of. Good idea since the front is the tricky install.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone tried using GT500 mounts with arrows pointing the other direction? Did that get your camber back in spec without using camber bolts (what was your front drop after lowering)? Any problem with doing this?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I helped a friend put springs on his 08, didnt need a compressor as the new springs were short enough to get the bolt started wasnt hard at all but ive done a few~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrown92 View Post
I did it without spring compressors but after doing it I would recommend using them. getting them off with the jack stand and jack trick works best for getting them off i think, however, putting the new springs on without a compressor is a royal pain in the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Anyone tried using GT500 mounts with arrows pointing the other direction? Did that get your camber back in spec without using camber bolts (what was your front drop after lowering)? Any problem with doing this?
Ok, make sure you read ALL the details on those GT500 mounts.... it says in the description that they will only work with the ford racing suspension. Talk about misleading...
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you were close to Knoxville TN I would say to bring it on over and bring some Beer
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

hahaha yea, if your around orlando FL I got you covered for a 6er..... thats assuming your 21+

i would help ya out either way, pm me if your around and want a hand. I wont do it for ya but I'll make sure you do it rite and learn so you can help someone some day.

"give a man a fish and he eats for the day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Tell all the shops you want a written estimate. They go play the shops against each other. If they really want your business, they will deal. If not, then you always have the I'll do it myself option.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I did a yelp search and found a great speed shop that does drift suspension work in the area. Got an awesome quote for install of springs, shocks, struts, and adjustable PHB for $185! Not quite as good as a six pack, but way better than $700.

BTW anyone looking at the BMR springs, give Kelly a call at BMR. They've got a killer March sale going on now. BMR springs and Koni STR.T struts and shocks for about $465. Got my order in today. Unfortunately they are already sold out of the Koni's. Great price and great service so no problem waiting a few weeks for items to ship.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a steal! glad you found a good place.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You're going to notice the improvement in handling lowering the pony. Mustang rear
ends really like to fishtail, it's fun till you lose control. Power sliding is also fun, but
you must practice the skill or again losing control can be bad. After lowering the pony
will be much safer at hwy speeds, that rear end really floats! Not a good thing. Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

For those that have lowered your mustangs, did you:

1) Re-use the stock spring isolators? (easy to do? Need to zip tie stock top isolator in place?) Or go with new poly isolators?
2) Keep stock bump stops in place? Cut stock bump stops? Get Ford Racing "softer" bump stops?
3) Re-use the stock strut boot?

Any advice on re-using or replacing these items would be appreciated. I want to make sure I order any additional items I need before starting any install. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
For those that have lowered your mustangs, did you:

1) Re-use the stock spring isolators? (easy to do? Need to zip tie stock top isolator in place?) Or go with new poly isolators?

On my friends 08 no zip ties, reused all OEM isolators, poly can squeek and are usually taller = higher car = not as good drop results, oem are FINE no need to change if they are not screwed up or you want to raise it back up a bit.

2) Keep stock bump stops in place? Cut stock bump stops? Get Ford Racing "softer" bump stops?

some kits come with new bump stops, I cant remember 100% if eibach's did or if we just left the OEM one alone, we didnt cut it on his 08~ you will know it when you hit it and can always cut it later if you want to give it a try lol

3) Re-use the stock strut boot?

Sure, why not? is there any specific reason to change it?

Any advice on re-using or replacing these items would be appreciated. I want to make sure I order any additional items I need before starting any install. Thanks!
What about front sway bar end links since the A Arms will be shorter, not sure this is a huge deal (never even was on older cars) but some do it (and they are cheap)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Great information. Thanks! As far as cuting the bump stops after the install, are the front bump stops accessible? I'll need to look into the front sway bar end links and see it that will be an issue. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Bump stops

I cut mine 1/2 way some people don't, I did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang