Warranty and after market - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Warranty and after market

So I've been seeing a lot of posts on aftermarket stuff added, because obviously that's what we do. But I'm wondering how far are your dealers letting you go without voiding your warranty? I wanted to put a new driveshaft in and my dealer out here in Germany said hell void my warranty if I do it. And I know wheels are okay, what else has very one done that hasn't voided their warranty. I have mine for 7 years/ 75k miles. Can not decided if I want to void it or not. She's still relatively new.....
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
CAI in most cases are ok. Axel back exhaust too but ask. If your dealer keeps saying no then call another dealer that can do warranty work, some places are more lie net than others. You can also get away with most appearance mods
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well from what other posters have said,it sometimes depends on the dealership.
I think you need to be realistic,and know that anytime you add an aftermarket
part you take this risk.I just had new gears installed in my 13.

I'm holding off till late summer to add a tune to correct the speedometer..I want to get a few more miles on my car to make sure I have no major problems.I don't think the
risk is that much greater than if you where to occasionally the car.

Best thing to do is return to stock parts,before you take it into the dealer.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
CAI in most cases are ok. Axel back exhaust too but ask. If your dealer keeps saying no then call another dealer that can do warranty work, some places are more lie net than others. You can also get away with most appearance mods
Well I live in Germany and there is only 1 mustang mechanic that can work on my car for miles around so I don't have the option to change dealers

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
Well from what other posters have said,it sometimes depends on the dealership.
I think you need to be realistic,and know that anytime you add an aftermarket
part you take this risk.I just had new gears installed in my 13.

I'm holding off till late summer to add a tune to correct the speedometer..I want to get a few more miles on my car to make sure I have no major problems.I don't think the
risk is that much greater than if you where to occasionally the car.

Best thing to do is return to stock parts,before you take it into the dealer.
I bought the tuner and always return it to stock but the computers they put in our stangs can pull up the tunes at the shop if they look for it. I know adding aftermarket parts adds risk but I was just curious what our forum members have done and still have a warranty, aside from appearance mods
Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

German girl driving stick mustang ..... I think I fell in love haha
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My dealer gave me the green light on gears and tune. Lucky I guess.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Where you at and which dealer?
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Drive Shaft ????

I would just change it. ( Like I'm going to do with my car) Just don't tell them you changed it. "EVER".

I think only 1 in 1,000 Mechanic's ( PARTS CHANGERS ) will even notice that it is different. Then, I don't think that they could blame to much on a drive shaft change unless you do a tune and take out the speed limiter.

The big thing to worry about is if the aluminum driveshaft causes damage to something else on the car. DUH!!!! HOW???? They sure would have to prove that the drive shaft change caused the problem that needed to be repaired under warranty.

Ronnie

CLICK ON THIS> http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke
German girl driving stick mustang ..... I think I fell in love haha
Haha I was thinking the same thing...+100 for driving stick!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I would just change it. ( Like I'm going to do with my car) Just don't tell them you changed it. "EVER".

I think only 1 in 1,000 Mechanic's ( PARTS CHANGERS ) will even notice that it is different. Then, I don't think that they could blame to much on a drive shaft change unless you do a tune and take out the speed limiter.

The big thing to worry about is if the aluminum driveshaft causes damage to something else on the car. DUH!!!! HOW???? They sure would have to prove that the drive shaft change caused the problem that needed to be repaired under warranty.

Ronnie

CLICK ON THIS> http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Op lives in germany, that law does not apply.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24 View Post
I bought the tuner and always return it to stock but the computers they put in our stangs can pull up the tunes at the shop if they look for it. I know adding aftermarket parts adds risk but I was just curious what our forum members have done and still have a warranty, aside from appearance mods

If you have a tune on your car then your warranty is shot already, mod away....

Quote:
Not to be an a$$, but your dealer is full of it. All warranty work done by a dealer is ultimately paid by ford because they are supplying the parts and have to foot a bill for labor based on a flat hourly rate. Dealers are required to fill out paperwork detailing the problem and circumstances of the issue to prove to Ford that this issue is warranty related. Unless your dealer is lying on paper work to Ford then you can not get away with a tune(unless it's made by ford, like track key). I highly doubt your dealer is going to roll that dice since Ford can revoke there rite to sell ford cars if they wanted to. Also, unless you have it in writing with a signature the dealer can look at you and just deny ever saying that you could tune your car, at which point your screwed. The ONLY exception to this is if you buy gears from the dealer and have them installed there also, then they will recalibrate your speedometer and odometer but thats it, they will not make any kind of performance change.

If your really worried about your warranty then just do non tune bolt on's and take them off if you ever need warranty work.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I understand your point, I've had this debate before being on your side, but all I can say is sit down with your dealer and tell them what you would like to do.....you might just be surprised. Some dealers will give you a hard time about the smallest thing. I'm not, by any means, encouraging anyone to tune, there is always risk! What I should of said instead of my dealer told me to tune away,sorry was at work had to keep it short, is that it also states under the warranty section in our manuals that if there is a failure due to abuse or misuse it can also void your warranty. Meaning that if you have a dealer that gives you a hard time with something as simple as a Cai when you bring it in for service, you should cringe every time you red line it and hope you don't miss a shift and have something fail because they can say it was abuse and deny warranty work, let's face it 90% of us are guilty of driving our cars hard from time to time. For me its really no more of a risk than driving it hard. : ) BTW any dealer that says they will not void your warranty if they install your gears, unless its the factory 3.31, is full of it seeing as Ford does not offer a factory tune for anything other than 2.73 and 3.31. That's what I wanted to do originally but didn't want to tune.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Does this mean the "PINK STRIPED BEAST" is about to come out of storage?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Question to ashpow24....was your Mustang bought in Germany? If so, is your top speed governed like the Mustangs in the United States, or can it drive within the autoban speed limits there in Germany?

If you brought it over from the states, then these questions are mute, which might explain why you are wanting to replace the driveshaft....don't forget though that a tuner would be required to lift the top speed governed for state side Mustangs.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Yes I understand your point, I've had this debate before being on your side, but all I can say is sit down with your dealer and tell them what you would like to do.....you might just be surprised. Some dealers will give you a hard time about the smallest thing. I'm not, by any means, encouraging anyone to tune, there is always risk! What I should of said instead of my dealer told me to tune away,sorry was at work had to keep it short, is that it also states under the warranty section in our manuals that if there is a failure due to abuse or misuse it can also void your warranty. Meaning that if you have a dealer that gives you a hard time with something as simple as a Cai when you bring it in for service, you should cringe every time you red line it and hope you don't miss a shift and have something fail because they can say it was abuse and deny warranty work, let's face it 90% of us are guilty of driving our cars hard from time to time. For me its really no more of a risk than driving it hard. : ) BTW any dealer that says they will not void your warranty if they install your gears, unless its the factory 3.31, is full of it seeing as Ford does not offer a factory tune for anything other than 2.73 and 3.31. That's what I wanted to do originally but didn't want to tune.
Well stated.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Question to ashpow24....was your Mustang bought in Germany? If so, is your top speed governed like the Mustangs in the United States, or can it drive within the autoban speed limits there in Germany?

If you brought it over from the states, then these questions are mute, which might explain why you are wanting to replace the driveshaft....don't forget though that a tuner would be required to lift the top speed governed for state side Mustangs.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Well stated.
I purchased it over here but it is made to stateside specs, so top speed is governed at 115mph. I bought a tuner so that will bump it up a bit. But I do like driving fast and it seems a shame to not be able to out here

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Does this mean the "PINK STRIPED BEAST" is about to come out of storage?
Haha! Yes she is!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Haha I was thinking the same thing...+100 for driving stick!
My car is auto, but in my dreams it's usually stick.....
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

My car is auto, but in my dreams it's usually stick.....
Why did you get auto? Your young!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Why did you get auto? Your young!
It wasn't my choice ;p
Parents provided the car
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang