cutting springs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
cutting springs.

Has anyone.cut their springs on here? Im.thinking of cutting aftermarket ones cause i want that stiff ride but to be lower. If i get a 2inch drop will i need new shocks? And how do i know if i need to camber? Iknow i need a panhard bar. But thats about it.. Hah
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
are the oem springs for your model linear or progressive? that'll decide what you can and can't do with them

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
are the oem springs for your model linear or progressive? that'll decide what you can and can't do with them
I have no clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

find out can't do much until we know

Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Don't cut your springs you will be really disappointed with ride quality and it can cause potential problems down the road. I dropped 2 inches and I didn't need a panhard. You will need camber bolts if you go past an 1.5 inch drop
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Don't cut your springs you will be really disappointed with ride quality and it can cause potential problems down the road. I dropped 2 inches and I didn't need a panhard. You will need camber bolts if you go past an 1.5 inch drop
is that based on personal experience with cutting the springs on that model? what's the style of them? the only reason i ask is because i've cut many mustangs with great success but the spring style works great for cutting...so sn95's and NE's....so that's why i'm curious about what kind of springs the new ones have.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

is that based on personal experience with cutting the springs on that model? what's the style of them? the only reason i ask is because i've cut many mustangs with great success but the spring style works great for cutting...so sn95's and NE's....so that's why i'm curious about what kind of springs the new ones have.
Well I tried cutting mine and it was a terrible ride and I learned it makes it a lot weaker and have a better chance for rust. So I just spent the 125 bucks for the new springs and I'm way happier. But it's personal preference it just didn't feel right to me and it's almost impossible to make them even and I'm weird about that.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Chopped springs and aftermarket ones feel the same to me
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What do you think this is? Civic forums? Do it rite or not at all.

And you will need shocks eventually if you go 2" drop cuz the stock ones will eventually blow out from being over compressed when you hit bumps.

Cutting springs... Come on guys and gals, were better than that
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

And you will need shocks eventually if you go 2" drop cuz the stock ones will eventually blow out from being over compressed when you hit bumps.

+1
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My coilovers were compressing my shocks as well when I would have it low and stock shocks handled it well. Cutting springs has the same quality of ride as a lowering spring and it's cheaper.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

And I suppose welding in some aluminum tubing is as good as an aluminum drive shaft rite? Don't be ridiculous, just spend the money to do it rite or don't do it at all. Springs are cheap in the grand scheme of modding your car, if your not going to pay for that and do it rite then you should leave the car stock. I'm not trying to be a butt to the OP but for Pete sake, what kind of standard are you setting for the rest of the car?

if that's not enough to convince you, lets look at it this way... Your going to half a$$idly (is that a word?) chop up part of what plants 300 HP to the ground... Yea, that sounds like a great idea.......

And ride quality the same? Not a chance, your going to be bouncing around like a fat kid chasing a ball on a trampoline.

But hey, if you want to listen to the guy who from the looks of his profile pic doesn't even drive a 3.7 stang then by all means go for it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And I suppose welding in some aluminum tubing is as good as an aluminum drive shaft rite? Don't be ridiculous, just spend the money to do it rite or don't do it at all. Springs are cheap in the grand scheme of modding your car, if your not going to pay for that and do it rite then you should leave the car stock. I'm not trying to be a butt to the OP but for Pete sake, what kind of standard are you setting for the rest of the car?

if that's not enough to convince you, lets look at it this way... Your going to half a$$idly (is that a word?) chop up part of what plants 300 HP to the ground... Yea, that sounds like a great idea.......

And ride quality the same? Not a chance, your going to be bouncing around like a fat kid chasing a ball on a trampoline.

But hey, if you want to listen to the guy who from the looks of his profile pic doesn't even drive a 3.7 stang then by all means go for it.
So i can assume u dont drive a 3.7 right lol jk jk hahaha

But seriously the dude has a point!!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Dam lots of people run cut springs at the track.

Some people even cut aftermarket springs. Oh no somebody wants to cut their springs, not that big of a deal. Depending if they're linear or progressive, that's all u need to worry about. Oh and don't cut 3-4 coils, just 1-1 1/4 coils.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dont know if you actually read the forum but i said i was buying aftermarkets dude..
They dont sell aftermsrkets that will drop me 2" so i was thinking about cutting.them until i get coilovers which are expensive. So yea.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="rebeltx;1554695"]And I suppose welding in some aluminum tubing is as good as an aluminum drive shaft rite? Don't be ridiculous, just spend the money to do it rite or don't do it at all. Springs are cheap in the grand scheme of modding your car, if your not going to pay for that and do it rite then you should leave the car stock. I'm not trying to be a butt to the OP but for Pete sake, what kind of standard are you setting for the rest of the car?

But hey, if you want to listen to the guy who from the looks of his profile pic doesn't even drive a 3.7 stang then by all means go for it.[/QUOTEl

And plus i know many people that run cut springs.
And you obviously havent had experience with cut springs so why are you in here.
Im not heating them up im cutting them.
And the guy that doesnt have a 3.7 actually knows what he is doing.
And what rlse you gonna go around yelling at people for plasti dipping their car to cause its not real paint?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruChris View Post
I dont know if you actually read the forum but i said i was buying aftermarkets dude..
They dont sell aftermsrkets that will drop me 2" so i was thinking about cutting.them until i get coilovers which are expensive. So yea.
If u get 1.5" springs and leave the iso's out, that would put u close to 2".
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Has anyone.cut their springs on here? Im.thinking of cutting aftermarket ones cause i want that stiff ride but to be lower. If i get a 2inch drop will i need new shocks? And how do i know if i need to camber? Iknow i need a panhard bar. But thats about it.. Hah
Dude i have my old stock ones u can hack at to see how it feels lol
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Dude i have my old stock ones u can hack at to see how it feels lol
Dude message back lol
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Why cut them?????????????????

Just get a torch and heat them until they are as low as you want them.

This guy was right when he say's'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

I have heard some dumb stuff on these forums but "CUTTING SPRINGS????" Come on. There are much better ways to ruin a car the cutting springs.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Just get a torch and heat them until they are as low as you want them.

This guy was right when he say's'

I have heard some dumb stuff on these forums but "CUTTING SPRINGS????" Come on. There are much better ways to ruin a car the cutting springs.

Ronnie
Did you just say torch them???
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you just say torch them???
Yup ive seen it done bro. I have my old springs in a box that u can torch and then if u dont like it put ur stock ones back!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup ive seen it done bro. I have my old springs in a box that u can torch and then if u dont like it put ur stock ones back!
Torch really screw them up cause they lose their stifness, torching is horrible.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If u torch em, no wonder your ride quality sucked.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Never heat springs. Bad.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Never heat springs. Bad.
But its fun jk jk
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But its fun jk jk
Ah! I see the sarcasm.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey TruChris,

I was being "Facetious" ((inappropriately amusing))

In all seriousness you do ""NOT"" want to cut your springs. It would probably not work as you expect. You also never ever want to heat them to lower a car.

If you want a lower car and want to be safe just go to a place like American Muscle that handles the proper things to do it and spend the $$$$ to do it right.

Why ruin your car if you don't have to.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I was being "Facetious" ((inappropriately amusing))

In all seriousness you do ""NOT"" want to cut your springs. It would probably not work as you expect. You also never ever want to heat them to lower a car.

If you want a lower car and want to be safe just go to a place like American Muscle that handles the proper things to do it and spend the $$$$ to do it right.

Why ruin your car if you don't have to.

Ronnie
I plan to get sr lowering but is it safe to take out ISOs?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Lots of people run without isos. Just wrap the spring ends with electrical tape.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Lots of people run without isos. Just wrap the spring ends with electrical tape.
Alright cool cause i never liked the ideas of cutting springs but without ISOs will put me perfect height. Just want to keep my car as good as possible. Hah
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone help me with.cambering situation though? How do i know how much to camber and negatively or positively??
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The best advice I can give you is to get a setup that allows you to go as low as you want to. I speak from experience lol. I tried eibach lowering springs and ride was good but not low enough. Still had a good bit of wheel gap. Then I tried pro street coilovers. Back was still sitting up. Cut two coils out of the back and finally got it to look like I wanted it to. But the ride.... Ohhhh the ride. Miserable comes to mind. Handling is incredible but you hit an expansion joint, or pothole or anything and it hurts. If I were to go back and do it again, I would get coilovers that were designed to go as low as I wanted to without having to cut
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I found some megans that put me where i want to be and for a good price. But they are for 05-09 mustangs...
Im wondering if i can get them to fit on mine though. I just need to find out if its just different forks.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone help me with.cambering situation though? How do i know how much to camber and negatively or positively??
1-2 degrees of negative camber is what I run. If you stay on the streets primarily, 1 degree should be fine(basically stock specs). I run 1.5 degrees of negative camber because I autocross my car as well as it being my DD. I used Eibach camber bolts and they allowed me the adjustability I was looking for. I hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang