Tuner ??? What my dealer told me - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Tuner ??? What my dealer told me

I asked about doing a tuner on my car a while ago and was told "NO"
CAI OK
Mufflers OK
A tune "NO"

I ask again Tuesday and asked why no tune allowed. My guy told me this:
When you bring the car in for service they might have to update the computers controlling every item on your car. They can only do this if you have not changed any programming. They have had many complaints over the years because the update would not work and wiped out a customers CPU. Then a costly total installation that the customer was to pay for needed to be done.

He said if I wanted to do a tune it would be OK but to be sure to remove it and go back to stock even if I stopped by to get the air checked in my tires or an oil/filter change because part of any service at all they check the CPU to see if it needs an update.

I did ask what if you asked not to update the computer and he did say it had to be checked if the car was still under warranty.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
It does not 'have to be checked'. I had my car in last month to check something. The service director told me last week he had the recall notice but didn't do anything because he didn't know if I had the stock tune on it when I dropped it off. So 'check' for an update maybe, but installing it is not required. He usually asks if it is set to stock when I drop it off so the tech knows if it is safe to do any updates.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Purchase this: It's the Steeda OBD II Cover, it's made with billet aluminum and is supposed to ward off any dealerships from flashing.
Maybe...
Attached Images

DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Re-Read what I just wrote

If the dealer does not want problem's and you want to not have problems all you have to do is re-install the stock programming before taking the car in for service.

It is probably fine if your knowing the person doing the service and tell him personally not to update your computer if it needs an update and he will comply to your wishes. That would be a good thing. BUT- if the person don't know about your tune and automatically checks and it does need to be updated you may or may not have a problem.

If you know you need to get anything repaired under warranty it would be wise to put the stock tune in before going to the dealer.

I'm totally aware of my dealer's reasoning because when they serviced my car the guy checked everything. My car was not on the list for any updates but if it was he would have done it. automatically (Unless I personally asked him not to)

I'm not talking about the re-call at all. Just normal service.

Ronnie
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
basically tune = voided, if you accept that will probably happen and take the risk go for it.

Flashing the cpu over and over (back to stock back to tune etc) can be an issue as well, if the flash screws up mid upload.... you = stranded until ford and reload it and then they KNOW it was tuned
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Lol I took mine in today with Cai full exhaust and tune. My car won't run without a Bama tune. The steeda Cai confuses the MAF and it spits and sputters if stock tune is on.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What it really boils down to is probably this.

If you have a tune on your car just ask the SA not to check or update your CPU. If nothing is wrong with your car and a Government enforced upgrade is not warranted you will be fine.

If you need some warranty work done and it does not affect the CPU your probably OK. If the CPU needs to be reprogrammed after the repair you are doomed.

Of course, All the dealers are different so do some research on what you can get away with.
Ronnie
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've had my car taken in for warranty work before and it had a tune. BUT it had nothing to do with the CPU just replaced my front LCAs. Now that I've replaced the Cats it's most likely voided since I messed with the o2 sensors and stuff. But oh well! Got tired of waiting. Lol
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang