Dead battery - 2013. Surprised. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dead battery - 2013. Surprised.

So even though I have auto headlights, I like to roll around with fogs and parking lights on. so occasionally I switch the lever. This time I forgot to turn off/turn back to auto.

7hrs later. DEAD battery. not one bit of sputter in it. when the keys are out, the fog lights are off. All thats left is the tail LEDs and the headlight LEDS. Arent they supposed to be ultra low voltage? I didnt think theyd drain me dead.

Mental Notes for future:
Dead battery = dead trunk cant pop from remote or inside the car. have to crawl thru back seat to get the emergency handle inside the trunk ( to get your cables)

auto rolldown windows dont work. so try not to break your damn window opening or closing the doors. Must apparently be recalibrated after you get the car started????? I mustve missed that part in the manual.

No shiftlock release?!?! car was parked in a spot that I couldnt get another jump car to it. So I went to get it out of P and roll it back so it was accessible. No go. Cant get out of Park with any combination of the key, key & brake, etc etc. no bypass found?
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Was it beeping when you got out? If you turn your lights on (not auto), when you pull the key out, the car will keep beeping at you to tell you to turn them off. You had to have known that and purposely ignored it for the lights to be the cause.

Also, the not being able to shift out of park is strange. You do not need power to do that, all you need is the key in the ignition. (to my knowledge). Just put the key in, turn it to accessories, then shift to neutral and push it out.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i didnt say it wasnt my fault. it beeps, but not that loudly and when I got out i was in a rush. so yea, im sure it did beep. thats not the point tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well, if you can't budge your car without power, at least you know that it's safe from theft haha.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

Well Batteries can and often do/cause strange things when they are dying. I've seen my fair share of it. In any event take it to your Ford dealership, and get them to replace it. Even if it is excluded from the Warranty, I'd still recommend a Motorcraft battery.

Or have it towed.. Ford has good Road Side assistance.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

This almost happen to my 5.0 I also was in a rush because I was late to school during 2nd period the announce, owner of a gray mustang your lights are on. But I did not heard no beeping sound when I got of the car. I also roll with with my fog lights.
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_96 View Post
= I also roll with with my fog lights.

like a boss....
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This almost happen to my 5.0 I also was in a rush because I was late to school during 2nd period the announce, owner of a gray mustang your lights are on. But I did not heard no beeping sound when I got of the car. I also roll with with my fog lights.
Oh dear...
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post

like a boss....
Ha right
Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Ha right
They called over the innercom the day I got my LICENCES wil the owner of the blue mustang please come to the office and everybody stared at me and I smiled my a$$ down to the office bc I had no parking pass
Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

They called over the innercom the day I got my LICENCES wil the owner of the blue mustang please come to the office and everybody stared at me and I smiled my a$$ down to the office bc I had no parking pass
That's what happen to friend. He's the one with the blue 5.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2998029046.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	94563  
Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
You probably only have a 1 volt drain on the battery. I've took a volt meter to mine when it died. I had 11.5 volts where I usually run 12-13
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Was it beeping when you got out? If you turn your lights on (not auto), when you pull the key out, the car will keep beeping at you to tell you to turn them off. You had to have known that and purposely ignored it for the lights to be the cause.

Also, the not being able to shift out of park is strange. You do not need power to do that, all you need is the key in the ignition. (to my knowledge). Just put the key in, turn it to accessories, then shift to neutral and push it out.
If it's an automatic, you also need to press the brake pedal to shift out of park.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post
i didnt say it wasnt my fault. it beeps, but not that loudly and when I got out i was in a rush. so yea, im sure it did beep. thats not the point tho.
What is the point? The car attempted to warn you; you were in a rush....ignored/did not hear the beep. Car did what it should.

Sorry it happened to you though. I left an interior overhead light on once. Killed my battery. It was already over 3 years old. I was able to charge it and use it another year. Good Motorcraft battery.

Most likely, the dealership will just recharge your battery, as I doubt it is bad; just discharged from leaving the fog lights on.

By the way, how are these fogs wired? My fogs are off as soon as I turn the key off, without requiring any activation of the headligh/fog switch.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
What is the point? The car attempted to warn you; you were in a rush....ignored/did not hear the beep. Car did what it should.

Sorry it happened to you though. I left an interior overhead light on once. Killed my battery. It was already over 3 years old. I was able to charge it and use it another year. Good Motorcraft battery.

Most likely, the dealership will just recharge your battery, as I doubt it is bad; just discharged from leaving the fog lights on.

By the way, how are these fogs wired? My fogs are off as soon as I turn the key off, without requiring any activation of the headligh/fog switch.
Also I must add that over head/ map lights won't drain your battery. I've went out to my car in the evening, popped my flash drive out to update my music, and forgot about the lights and in the morning when I crank the car they will come back on. I like how are starter is a one touch starter instead of the typical turn over till it cranks design
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

As long as testing proves the cells are stable. Otherwise they'll defect it out and either recycle it or send it to back to Johnson Controls. It's all up to the manufacture as to what they want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Also I must add that over head/ map lights won't drain your battery. I've went out to my car in the evening, popped my flash drive out to update my music, and forgot about the lights and in the morning when I crank the car they will come back on. I like how are starter is a one touch starter instead of the typical turn over till it cranks design
^That is true it will not drain the battery. They should turn off. I've left it in accessory mode over night and it started right up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang