Headlight kit installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Headlight kit installation

Hey everyone,

I just got a brand new HID headlights kit, (Opt7 Premium AC Xenon HID to be exact) that I am using to replace the stock bulbs in my 2011 v6. I wanna preface this comment by saying I"m no mechanic/car handyman, but I am looking to do the full install myself.. I swapped out lights in my old ford escape no problem, but i've been reading some stuff and watching some how-to videos, and i've gotten mixed results.. some of the videos i've seen said I'll need to completely remove my front bumper and headlight housing in addition to the plastic protector that is under the hood, and I saw others that just simply explain how to run the wires and swap the bulbs. Can anyone confirm if this is true, or if it easier to install the bulbs by doing one of these methods?? I will only be replacing the headlights, mounting/securing the ballasts and setting the wires in a spot where they aren't visible, I am not changing the bulbs for the turn signals or anything like that. I'm not opposed to doing all the work, or at least trying to... but I wasn't sure if removing the bumper is a absolutely necessary.. any input would be great.
dmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Can it be assumed that you have HID headlight housings, like the 2013's (which already come with HID, so I'm assuming you are not). Putting an HID ballast/bulb kit into non HID projection headlight assemblies ony produces a bluish "splash" of light in front of you. Many do this because it "looks cool", but actually creates less frontal light, and is annoying to other drivers on the road. Projection headlight assembles do as their name suggests; they project the light beam from the bright HID bulb in a narrow, forward direction.

Conventional, non projection headlight assemblies cannot focus the HID light correctly. You actually loose distance with this arrangement, and annoy other drivers.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Can it be assumed that you have HID headlight housings, like the 2013's (which already come with HID, so I'm assuming you are not). Putting an HID ballast/bulb kit into non HID projection headlight assemblies ony produces a bluish "splash" of light in front of you. Many do this because it "looks cool", but actually creates less frontal light, and is annoying to other drivers on the road. Projection headlight assembles do as their name suggests; they project the light beam from the bright HID bulb in a narrow, forward direction.

Conventional, non projection headlight assemblies cannot focus the HID light correctly. You actually loose distance with this arrangement, and annoy other drivers.
+1
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Region: New Jersey
Thanks I guess? I didn't need yourI input on what you thought about the headlight itself.. I wanted to know if anyone knew the easiest way to install replacement bulbs

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

And they are projection bulbs BTW
dmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk3
Thanks I guess? I didn't need yourI input on what you thought about the headlight itself.. I wanted to know if anyone knew the easiest way to install replacement bulbs

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

And they are projection bulbs BTW
Take out the old ones and put in the new ones.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So let me get this straight. I feel like I just read it too generally. You want to replace the bulbs? Or the whole headlight?

For the headlight itself, you gotta pull the the bumper. Which is easy. You have about 15 screws and push pins and once those are out from under the car and the wheel well you pull the sides and it pops right out. Also remove the radiator cover.

For a bulb exchange, just remove the radiator cover so you have room. Idk how to wire up an HID kit. I just bought the brightest halogen bulb I could find. I have DRL's so I had too :/
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So let me get this straight. I feel like I just read it too generally. You want to replace the bulbs? Or the whole headlight?

For the headlight itself, you gotta pull the the bumper. Which is easy. You have about 15 screws and push pins and once those are out from under the car and the wheel well you pull the sides and it pops right out. Also remove the radiator cover.

For a bulb exchange, just remove the radiator cover so you have room. Idk how to wire up an HID kit. I just bought the brightest halogen bulb I could find. I have DRL's so I had too :/
What halogen bulb was that if you dont mind me asking? I have drl as well.
BigClaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Hey bud welcome to the forum.

You will find most people do not like the setup you are going with . It's a controversial subject on this forum . But to answer your question on how to wire them up . You will run a power wire to the battery and a ground wire to the car . I used the bolt for the fender . Make sure to scuff the paint from which area you choose .
Then the kit should have a harness that hooks into one OEM head light harness . The other bulb will jump from that harness to the other side . At least that's how most kits work .when you get the kit and lay it out , it will make more since . If you have any trouble with hooking it up just post something on here and we will help ya out .

Also Guys give him a break .
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClaunch View Post

What halogen bulb was that if you dont mind me asking? I have drl as well.
Sylvania silver star ultra h13 bulbs. Nice crisp white light like an hid but for halogen.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Sylvania silver star ultra h13 bulbs. Nice crisp white light like an hid but for halogen.
+1
I use those in my Mazda and they are really good bulbs and very crisp
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
Hey bud welcome to the forum.

You will find most people do not like the setup you are going with . It's a controversial subject on this forum . But to answer your question on how to wire them up . You will run a power wire to the battery and a ground wire to the car . I used the bolt for the fender . Make sure to scuff the paint from which area you choose .
Then the kit should have a harness that hooks into one OEM head light harness . The other bulb will jump from that harness to the other side . At least that's how most kits work .when you get the kit and lay it out , it will make more since . If you have any trouble with hooking it up just post something on here and we will help ya out .

Also Guys give him a break .
Sorry, no break. I have to share the highways in the early morning commute I have to Tampa. It is annoying to say the least when folks replace their bulbs with HID ones in a NON PROJECTION HEADLIGHT assembly. It splashes the light, and blinds drivers for a moment. This affects me, It's illegal, but unfortunately, the police have other issues they have to inforce since they are spread too thin these days.

I will however ignore these types of posts as to not create any grief to this site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang