I picked up an extra 35 horsepower today - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hi Jim C

It measures exactly 2 1/2 inches long. ( Hose only )

They are genuine Ford parts on the JLT catch can.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Thanks, that let's me know where to cut the hose now!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Also the "at zero rpm" good one Ronnie! Lmao!
it's like that one car..... I think it was part of BMW, that had the whole hydrogen cell thing going on.

they had like 900 something torque ,"available at 0 RPM"
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have a question, why does this give extra horse power, I watched jay leno garage and he says with all the new technology one doesn't need these air breathers, unless u want it for looks and if these do improve horsepower why wouldn't ford do this at the factory so they can say they get more horsepower, I don't think jay leno would lie.. just asking I bought the engine cover for my v6 I still think the air intake coulda been made better its ugly and a dirt collector with all the supports in the plastic, the v8 is still a more attractive engine , most guys disagree with me, but when u gotta an ugly engine u gotta live with it or buy the v8 , the older v6 intake is still bettet looking they coulda made a similar intake. have a great week
manlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlaw38 View Post
I have a question, why does this give extra horse power, I watched jay leno garage and he says with all the new technology one doesn't need these air breathers, unless u want it for looks and if these do improve horsepower why wouldn't ford do this at the factory so they can say they get more horsepower, I don't think jay leno would lie.. just asking I bought the engine cover for my v6 I still think the air intake coulda been made better its ugly and a dirt collector with all the supports in the plastic, the v8 is still a more attractive engine , most guys disagree with me, but when u gotta an ugly engine u gotta live with it or buy the v8 , the older v6 intake is still bettet looking they coulda made a similar intake. have a great week
Um, not to be the prick on here, but are you stupid? This was severe sarcasm, sir. Tis why he said at 0 rpm. Meaning at a stand still, car show.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Um, not to be the prick on here, but are you stupid? This was severe sarcasm, sir. Tis why he said at 0 rpm. Meaning at a stand still, car show.
Haha some people don't seem to understand sarcasm.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi, manlaw38

Manlaw38 said:
Quote:
most guys disagree with me, but when u gotta an ugly engine u gotta live with it or buy the v8 , the older v6 intake is still bettet looking they coulda made a similar intake. have a great week
I think the reason they did not put the old V6 intake on this ugly engine is because they wanted something a lot more efficiant.

As far as this V6 being what you call "Ugly" I personally don't think it is. I like the way it looks and especially the way it runs. I like the sound it makes with my Magnaflow streets, The way it sounds when I pull out to pass a car ( Airaid sounds awesum) I really like the cheap insurance and Miles per gallon.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I hate that I gotta an ugly engine.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Hey now, be nice. He did tell us to have a good week.

But.... C'MON MAN!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
WoW haha. I mean I was born at night but not LAST night. It still amazes me you had some people going, hook, line and sinker LOL. Anyways its starting to look really good and I am pretty sure the catch can will be my next investment as well!
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The show about Jay Leno and an engineer from the Ford special teams group (he did a lot of work on the Boss) was refering to the stock air intake cleaner. He said ford got it right with flow, and that aftermarket CAI's can be considered a waste of money, as the stock unit flows great. I watched the show, and do not recall the conversation ever talking about air breathers, such as those within the valve covers/heads.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The show about Jay Leno and an engineer from the Ford special teams group (he did a lot of work on the Boss) was refering to the stock air intake cleaner. He said ford got it right with flow, and that aftermarket CAI's can be considered a waste of money, as the stock unit flows great. I watched the show, and do not recall the conversation ever talking about air breathers, such as those within the valve covers/heads.
I saw this one too. I mean the boss has a closed filter like oem. But the Shelby has an open
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I saw this one too. I mean the boss has a closed filter like oem. But the Shelby has an open
Maybe for the noise factor? If you have a Shelby, perhaps Ford wanted it to be heard; which is one side benefit of a CAI.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Maybe for the noise factor? If you have a Shelby, perhaps Ford wanted it to be heard; which is one side benefit of a CAI.
If Shelby has it, ill buy it!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I got the engine cover off E-Bay, It came with the extender and the two needed grommets for $135.00 shipped. A little high price for it but after I put it on I think it was worth the $$$$. AM does not sell these.

I got the oil catch can from AM (My favorite place to shop) and it came fast and packaged perfect. It was so easy to install I could not believe it. The JLT came all together with genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. Just remove the stock hose and stick the catch can on. "PERFECT" The AM discount was really nice to have as well as the free shipping.

I had a Mini before and they also had the sludge build up problems but worse. I figured I'm going to keep this Mustang a very long time so the oil catch can was a must have for me.

Ronnie
I hear you on that favorite place to shop!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
This should be worth ten horsepower::

Installed JLT oil catch can

Add this performance engine cover for another 25 horsepower.

Both together should be 35 HP at zero RPM

Seriously I got the oil catch can from American Muscle and it went on so easy I thought I did it wrong.
The Performance engine cover I got from E-Bay and it required a little cutting due to my Airaid CAI fitting was in a different place then the stock air tube.

I think( HOPE) I'm done for a while (FLAT BROKE)
Ronnie
sense you installed your air intake at start do you get a weird grow/knocking noise and clears up at higher rpm kinda sounds like a jake break would
Rahbarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #52
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I don't.

I also made my own catch can for under 30 bucks. The oil in the bowl is two weeks worth (1000 miles). I drive 3 times a week from Orlando to Tampa at highway speeds. Catch cans really do work:
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang