I picked up an extra 35 horsepower today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I picked up an extra 35 horsepower today

This should be worth ten horsepower::

Installed JLT oil catch can

Add this performance engine cover for another 25 horsepower.

Both together should be 35 HP at zero RPM

Seriously I got the oil catch can from American Muscle and it went on so easy I thought I did it wrong.
The Performance engine cover I got from E-Bay and it required a little cutting due to my Airaid CAI fitting was in a different place then the stock air tube.

I think( HOPE) I'm done for a while (FLAT BROKE)
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Looking good man! How are you enjoying the new mods, they really look great!

Keep up the great work!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Seriously I got the oil catch can from American Muscle and it went on so easy I thought I did it wrong.
The Performance engine cover I got from E-Bay and it required a little cutting due to my Airaid CAI fitting was in a different place then the stock air tube.

Ronnie
Bahahahahhaa!!!! Awesome mods. I've done the same to mine!! Looking great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2038952013.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	94770  
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Ronnie
Looks great. I hear you on the flat broke part. Put in almost 3k in two months from AM! Well worth it, although the wife doesn't think so. Lol. Once I finish installing everything this weekend she might change her mind! : )
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The jlt oil catch can and engine cover gave you the extra hp?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1
The jlt oil catch can and engine cover gave you the extra hp?
Did you really not catch the intended sarcasm?....lol

Obviously a oil catch can and engine cover aren't going to give you any HP
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

+100
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Also the "at zero rpm" good one Ronnie! Lmao!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looking good Ronnie
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Damn when i first started reading i thought "this guy is f'n retarded", then i kept reading and saw the saracasm lol. Engine cover looks sweet!

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

did yall buy the engine cover?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Lol, good one ronnie. Your engine bay looks great!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Dang! I thought Ronnie was being serious. I was researching for the longest time too and thinking to myself " how in the world do you get more hp from those parts!"

I'll make note.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

But it'll preserve the engine life yo!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi arturo55

I got the engine cover off E-Bay, It came with the extender and the two needed grommets for $135.00 shipped. A little high price for it but after I put it on I think it was worth the $$$$. AM does not sell these.

I got the oil catch can from AM (My favorite place to shop) and it came fast and packaged perfect. It was so easy to install I could not believe it. The JLT came all together with genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. Just remove the stock hose and stick the catch can on. "PERFECT" The AM discount was really nice to have as well as the free shipping.

I had a Mini before and they also had the sludge build up problems but worse. I figured I'm going to keep this Mustang a very long time so the oil catch can was a must have for me.

Ronnie
Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got the engine cover off E-Bay, It came with the extender and the two needed grommets for $135.00 shipped. A little high price for it but after I put it on I think it was worth the $$$$. AM does not sell these.

I got the oil catch can from AM (My favorite place to shop) and it came fast and packaged perfect. It was so easy to install I could not believe it. The JLT came all together with genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. Just remove the stock hose and stick the catch can on. "PERFECT" The AM discount was really nice to have as well as the free shipping.

I had a Mini before and they also had the sludge build up problems but worse. I figured I'm going to keep this Mustang a very long time so the oil catch can was a must have for me.

Ronnie
You also have them at late model restoration and blue oval. What are you talking about extender on that cover? Is it really a weird foam/ rubber pad and not an abs plastic
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Neat O!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi White

It is made out of some type of rubber. Not hard plastic. It sure does match everything under the hood.

It comes with two grommets that fit into holes at the top of the engine ( Already there ) for the cover to snap into. The extender goes on the oil filler and holds the cover down on that side,
Plug the cap in and it is installed. Very slick installation.

I had to trim a little around the fitting at the airaid fat pipe due to that particular fitting is not in the stock location.

The cover is a stock part on the 2011/2012 performance package manual ( Not Auto ) I really like how it fills in the ugly side of my engine.

The 25 extra horsepower at ZERO RPM is just a nice bonus.

Ronnie
Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #19

Region: Nevada
Quote:

Ronnie
Just curious, how much was it, and how does it sound with it in place?
JGriff97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think I already said this

Yep, Scroll up.

Quote:

The engine cover is just for looks and does not do anything else.

The oil catch can also does not make any noise. It just catches the oil that is going back into the engine. It will prevent sludge from building up over a period of time. Well worth having if you are going to be keeping your car for a long number of years.

Neither item will increase horsepower or add sound. I was joking with that.

Ronnie
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #21

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my question; I meant how does it sound with that intake? I already know that the cover adds at least 30hp, in the parking lot, though
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It sounds great.

I just got on it today for the first time since putting it on. Heading on to I-4 and merging in with the million miles per hour traffic I got to floor it a little bit and it sounded awesome.

It does make my car more responsive even without a tune. I got it from American Muscle for $269.99 less the discount for $253.79 total at my door.

The cover only added 25 horsepower at ZERO RPM. I think it may be defective or installed wrong.

Ronnie
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
I just got on it today for the first time since putting it on. Heading on to I-4 and merging in with the million miles per hour traffic I got to floor it a little bit and it sounded awesome.

It does make my car more responsive even without a tune. I got it from American Muscle for $269.99 less the discount for $253.79 total at my door.

The cover only added 25 horsepower at ZERO RPM. I think it may be defective or installed wrong.

Ronnie
It's probably the elevation difference. Lol
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looking Good Ronnie

I thought the Catch can was worth 25 HP at Zero RPM, or was that only if you put the JLT Stickers on the side windows
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Does this help with the burning oil smell when you accelerate, since its catching the oil and not letting it circulate into the intake?
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

good install with the catch can. I've had one now for about 6 months, and it has caught at leat 6 ounces of oil mist, preventing it from going into the intake.

Allowing the oil to cake onto the valves will rob HP over time, so you just might have a point with gaining (or preventing HP loss) over time.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

That combo is good for an extra 55 hp with a tune
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well I'm good for way more then 55

Red Stallion 11 said:
Quote:
That combo is good for an extra 55 hp with a tune
Well, I gotta tell ya, I have a whole lot of Tune's on my Radio. So many I could never ever know how much added horsepower I really have. I guess it would be 55 plus.

Ronnie
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations View Post
Does this help with the burning oil smell when you accelerate, since its catching the oil and not letting it circulate into the intake?
Wondering the same thing. Any input guys??
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What burning smell????

I never had that happen. I never had a burning smell or any other kind of odor at any time since I bought this car brand new.
I put on the catch can because I'm going to be keeping this Mustang for a very long time. (Maybe 10 years or so) I don't want to eventually have a sludge problem.

As far as a smell. I never had one.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I have one on my cobra from JLT, different way it works though, sits right on top of the valve cover and stops it from getting into the track so I never have to empty it. Its worth at least 43hp though or about 157 internets.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #32

Great idea with the visor stickers. Where did you get them ?

Thanks.
runeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I got them on line at Bob White Ford

They were a little costly but well worth the $$$$$
I hate those ugly yellow billboards the govt. makes them put on the visers telling people what they already know.

Click> http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/

Ronnie
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #34

Region: Maryland
Quote:
It is made out of some type of rubber. Not hard plastic. It sure does match everything under the hood.

It comes with two grommets that fit into holes at the top of the engine ( Already there ) for the cover to snap into. The extender goes on the oil filler and holds the cover down on that side,
Plug the cap in and it is installed. Very slick installation.

I had to trim a little around the fitting at the airaid fat pipe due to that particular fitting is not in the stock location.

The cover is a stock part on the 2011/2012 performance package manual ( Not Auto ) I really like how it fills in the ugly side of my engine.

The 25 extra horsepower at ZERO RPM is just a nice bonus.

Ronnie
Looks good. The JLT catch can is going to be my first mod. Going to order one from AM tomorrow.

Ordered 2/09 | Received VIN 2/13 | Window Sticker 2/19 | Build Date 2/25 / Delivered 3/11
-Airaid CAI/JLT Catch Can, LLumar 20% Tint
RogueWing16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Ronnie
Ronnie, can you do me a favor and measure the length of the tube going from the valve cover connector to the catch can? I have a catch can and extra PCV hose and want to put the 90 degree angle fitting on and cut the extra hose to the correct length like yours. Mine has 2 straight fittings on it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang