This question is probably going to make some people mad. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This question is probably going to make some people mad.

I had Mustang once - worst car I ever owned. I used to be die-hard 'buy American' kind of guy - until my wife's first Honda in 1994. 100,000 miles and never a trip to the dealer...oil changes brakes, tires and spark plugs only. Since then she has had 3 other Hondas and is now in a Toyota Camry. I continued to drive a /Chevy S-10 Blazer (really bad) then a Chevy Silverado, then a Dodge Dakota V8 Quad Cab (fantastic when it wasn;t broken). Then I got a Toyota 4Runner followed by a Toyota Highlander. It was truly an awakening for me that a car can be so trouble free. One thing my wife and I agree on (there arent many) is that the Toyotas are more reliable than the Hondas and are the most trouble free, reliable cars we have owned. That is the problem. As reliable as they are they are boring as hell.

I REALLY want a 2011 or 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible but I am really afraid of potentially going back to those old reliability problems. I plan to keep the car 5+ years and will likely own it until it has over 125,000 miles. What can you tell me about high mileage, long term reliability. I'd like to think Ford is close to catching up. Although I grew up a GM guy - I will never consider a Government Motors car and I really do like the new Ford lineup. Sorry for the long post and I look forward to the responses.
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Most all of haven't had any issues . If they have its been the fluid in the trans . Which the dealer replaces for free and any car u buy from this point on will have the new fluid . So to sum it up mine has been reliable .
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This is my 5th new Mustang. 1976, 1980, 1981, 1986 and now my 2011. The 2011 and newer Mustangs are the most reliable and best quality, ever. Go test drive one and see for yourself .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Idk, I believe it's mostly on how you treat your car. I had an 04 Mustang with well over 100k without a single problem. Also had a 98 saturn for over 200k. My younger bro swears by Honda but its funny because he can never drive his civic because there's always something wrong with it. And when I say always, I mean always. It just sits in his driveway repair after repair. It's ridicules.

But, I've decided never to buy a used car. I'll buy it new, treat it like it should and it should last as long as I need it. When you buy used you buy other people's problems.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It's all in how you treat the car in my experience. My 02 v6 gave me 105k trouble free miles before selling it, factory battery and belt. 92 bronco took till 205k to blow a head gasket, fixed it and kept driving it till I sold it around 220k. I traded a 1987 ranger for that bronco. No idea on the mileage but well over 200k and still going.

Currently have an 07 focus. 96k miles, alt is the only thing i've had to replace.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I have not heard any issues at all with the 3.7 V6 2011 up Mustangs

If you like to buy American you ain't gonna go wrong getting a Late model Mustang. The body as well as the engine are "Made in Michigan" U.S.A. The Automatic transmission is also made in Michigan. The Manual transmission is made in China. Of course a few parts are from Mexico and Canada due to N.A.F.T.A (It's the Law)

I have a 2012 3.7 V6 automatic and I'm telling you that my Mustang is really solid, fun to drive, gets good MPG, Beautiful to look at, Comfortable, and runs perfect. These cars are made for people that like cars. A true Pony car.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i'm on my 3rd '04 and no issues so far but standard maintainence...i'd say if the new ones are half as reliable as the 99-04's you won't have any complaints

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
It's all in how you treat the car in my experience. My 02 v6 gave me 105k trouble free miles before selling it, factory battery and belt. 92 bronco took till 205k to blow a head gasket, fixed it and kept driving it till I sold it around 220k. I traded a 1987 ranger for that bronco. No idea on the mileage but well over 200k and still going.

Currently have an 07 focus. 96k miles, alt is the only thing i've had to replace.
I hate replacing the alt on those focuses I had to replace my moms at 160k and it's a pain !! Did u have to move the axle to get it in like I did ?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Get a v8 thats what a mustang represents.No offence to the v6 guys gals just my 2 cents.
93GTVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GTVERT View Post
Get a v8 thats what a mustang represents.No offence to the v6 guys gals just my 2 cents.
you do know the v6 is the only thing that kept the mustang alive for years? but i guess we all have different opinions on what the mustang represents.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I think fords are really reliable, my family has owned 3 fords thats gone over 200000 miles. My mustang has 120000 and no problems.. we even have a superduty with a gas motor 5.4l that has 275000 miles the only thing we have had to change is a couple coil packs
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My family has had 5 new cars over the past 7 years, a Mercedes ml 500, Cadillac escalade, Nissan frontier, Volvo xc 60 and my 2011 mustang v6, every single car (particularly the Mercedes) has had multiple problems except the mustang. Even with the manual, it's been very reliable
Dgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i will say my current stangs alternator finally kicked the bucket last may...but for 8 years of perfect service i can't complain

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Take care of the car and you will have no problems. If you neglect the car, then it will not give you it's best performance
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
The Mustang represents American Muscle. The 3.7 V6 has that. To the guy Friday night in Upland, Calif. who did a 180 getting on the freeway in his GT, learn how to handle that power before you drive it on public roadways. Or don't drink and drive. BTW going back up the on ramp to exit was not your wisest choice.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I've owned 2. My 2012 and a 2006. I never had any issues with my 2006, I was even in a car accident with it. I rear ended a flat bed and smashed the front of my car. The body shop was able to use every part under the hood, even the radiator that was pushed up against the engine. That car lasted till January of 2013, when I saw my current 2012 v6 premium at the auto mall, lol.

Treat your car right, change the oil, keep it tuned up and you shouldn't have an issue with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Just wondering, but what did this comment have to do with anything the OP asked about the mustangs being reliable cars compared to his foreign cars? Didn't your 93 Gt, 5.0 v8 come factory stock 225 HP? It does represent all that a mustang should be plus how can the 11 plus v6 models with 305 factory HP hold a candle to a factory 93 , 5.0?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Maybe a dumb question , but it would be good to know.

With your attitude,
[QUOTE][
Originally Posted by 93GTVERT
Get a v8 thats what a mustang represents.No offence to the v6 guys gals just my 2 cents./QUOTE]

Why are you on the V6 Forum if you don't like them?????????????

Just wondering !!!!!!! NO OFFENCE MEANT

Ronnie
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Cmon let's not turn this into another V6 vs V8 threads. We all drive mustangs, that's all that matters. The first Mustang ever made had a 6 cylinder so to say a V8 is what a mustang represents is just pure ignorant. Now back to the topic...
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've got just under 130,000 miles on my '04 GT and no problems. Only things I've had to replace on mine was the alternator and the fuel pump. Buddy of mine who has been a certified mechanic for over 5yrs said that's the first time he, or anyone at his shop had seen a fuel pump go bad in a Mustang. Ya I do baby my Pony, but I also like to exercise her as much as possible too!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I put 203,000 miles on my 2006 Pony convertible. Ran a 75 shot of nitrous on it two seasons, pulled the nitrous at 90,000 miles and added the Xcharger. The car was still running mid 12's when I sold it and picked up the 2013 in June; compression checked fine and the new owner is racing it this year. Very few problems, thermostat housing replaced at 199,800; alternator at 178,900.

Maintenance is the key with any car.

My daughter's Toyota lost the engine at 90,000 miles - but her maintenance wasn't that great; other daughter has an Escape and has 140,000 on it and still running strong.

I already have 23,000 on the 2013 and no problems.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a used 12 and the rear end is giving me fits. It's surged only once and its all stock. Other than that breather valve on the rear end, its been all gravy for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Domestic vehicles took a huge hit back in the day when they were put together cheap and had crappy reliability.

Many import car companies actually assemble their vehicles here in America now plus many parts on them (you can find the percent of foreign vs domestic parts) have more parts made in America than some American brands so technically your Honda could be more Domestic than a Camaro~

with all that said Domestics have caught back up in quality, everyone has lemons and every one has issues just how it is. People get screwed by one bad experience and assume EVERY car/truck that given company makes is crap etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Domestic vehicles took a huge hit back in the day when they were put together cheap and had crappy reliability.

Many import car companies actually assemble their vehicles here in America now plus many parts on them (you can find the percent of foreign vs domestic parts) have more parts made in America than some American brands so technically your Honda could be more Domestic than a Camaro~

with all that said Domestics have caught back up in quality, everyone has lemons and every one has issues just how it is. People get screwed by one bad experience and assume EVERY car/truck that given company makes is crap etc.
I agree. I know Hondas are great cars. But have never bought once since the 75 Civic POS I bought new in 75.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I'm at 65,000 on my 06 V6 the only major issues I've had is the throttle position sensor that should've been covered under warranty but the dealer couldn't find the problem, the next issue was the thermostat housing easy fix, and the front calipers have been dragging, I'm on set #2 now, and I hear that its the rubber brake line.

Easy solution to fix that is upgrade them from the factory with aftermarket or choose the track pack.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

I hate replacing the alt on those focuses I had to replace my moms at 160k and it's a pain !! Did u have to move the axle to get it in like I did ?
I unbolted the motor mounts and pulled the motor half out. Just horroble placement.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

40K on mine, and have just had it 12 months. Never been to the dealer for anything.

It's all in how you take care of something, and sometimes just avoiding some sour luck. All in all, Ford has never let me down; Mustang, several trucks, and an Explorer.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You just have to get what you would like.

Hi Sabbamafan,
Mustangs are not a cookie cutter car that will please everyone. It is more of a fun type pony car that appeals to a special group of people that like to drive and have fun with their cars. If you look around you will find Mustang only car clubs as well as Mustang/Ford only car shows. Mustangs like Corvettes are always invited to a lot of different car shows. They fit in with all sorts of groups. Just look on these forums and you will find every age and people of all kinds come together as a huge Mustang family.
I love my 2012 3.7 V6 automatic MCA premium edition Mustang and plan on keeping it for at least ten more years.

Ronnie
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #29

Region: Canada
Agree with the other guys on the forum that the late model Mustangs are great. I have a 2012 V6. Now heading into year 3 and I have absolutely no problems at all. I do store it in winter because of our lousey Canadian winters. Other than that, have had no warranty items or any other type of issue. Best and most comfortable car I've owned.
runeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

ok.ok. Now I just want it more. Unfortunately it will be 6-8 more months before it can happen. In the meantime prices will drop a bit and I will hopefully have a bit more money...
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
ok.ok. Now I just want it more. Unfortunately it will be 6-8 more months before it can happen. In the meantime prices will drop a bit and I will hopefully have a bit more money...
And, the new model 2015's will be in site. Either you buy one of those, or a very clean used pre-2015 model that will get traded in on the new Mustang model. I'm holding off on my next Mustang for either the 2015 (it will have to knock my socks off to buy new), or a clean, used Boss 302.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

And, the new model 2015's will be in site. Either you buy one of those, or a very clean used pre-2015 model that will get traded in on the new Mustang model. I'm holding off on my next Mustang for either the 2015 (it will have to knock my socks off to buy new), or a clean, used Boss 302.
2015 is gonna have a 4 banger turbo option. I'm not too thrilled about it and Fords Aston Martin look. Ill buy a body kit if I have too. It may the 50 year edition but an all new platform, so its gonna be really buggy
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
The very first mustang started it's life with a 6 cylinder. The new V6 can run with V8's with very little money and add a little more and smoke a V8 and still be cheaper to own. Not to mention gas milage. That is why I have the V6... 30+ mpg and the performance of a V8. Had my V6 for exactly one year 21,000 miles no problems at all!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Had my car for 7 years now "2006 mustang", first thing that was going to break was my diff @60,000miles was making humming noises. It was a good opportunity to upgrade. The next thing that broke was that stupid BP gas cap. That broke at 100,000. Replaced it with a locking cap. Aside from that I've got a vortech and tons of bolt ons on it and its been my daily driver currently with 134,000miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2516862891.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	95529  
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

The new v6's can run with the 2010 and before GT's... and they were all hot S**t back then too...

I mean when does it get to the point where if your not gonna track it, why the hell do you need it?? There is no where you can use all that 420 horsepower on the streets... I already have a hard time not getting in trouble in my "little sixxer".... I mean dang, its only 10 less horsepoer than a gt of a couple years ago, and it has a better power to weight ratio!

But anyways OP! My uncle had a twin turbocharged 2009 gt, that he sold when he moved to germany. But it ran great and he has almsot 70 thousand miles on it less than 3 years.... all he ever did was oil changes and jsut regular maintence.
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang