Thoughts on tuners? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post
sounds like you already have you answer, but just to reassure you, I run the 91 Race tune and that tune is so agressive. The first time I accelerated, I was with my friend and we both looked at each other and said "holy sh*t"
Trust me man, Its worth the 20+ cents for the premium grade gas.
+1
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
sounds like you already have you answer, but just to reassure you, I run the 91 Race tune and that tune is so agressive. The first time I accelerated, I was with my friend and we both looked at each other and said "holy sh*t"
Trust me man, Its worth the 20+ cents for the premium grade gas.
So i tried the hybrid tune today and made some run in the hi way i didnt really feel any difference from the street tune or am i just missing something, when my tank is empty i will try the race tune.. Thanks
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post

So i tried the hybrid tune today and made some run in the hi way i didnt really feel any difference from the street tune or am i just missing something, when my tank is empty i will try the race tune.. Thanks
I've personally only ever used the race and hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

I've personally only ever used the race and hybrid
Does it matter that my hybrid tune runs 89 octane? Is that why i couldnt tell the difference between the hybrid and street tune?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Does it matter that my hybrid tune runs 89 octane? Is that why i couldnt tell the difference between the hybrid and street tune?
Possibly but I'm not sure. I would call Bama and ask them the difference between them
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

I didn't think bama made a 89 hybrid I thought they only made 91 & up for hybrid & race tunes!?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

I didn't think bama made a 89 hybrid I thought they only made 91 & up for hybrid & race tunes!?
Thats what i thought so i dont know why i got the hybrid for 89 octane. Is that why i didnt feel any difference from my hybrid tune? How can i change it, should i give them a call?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Do you think i can put the 89 octane in the tank now? Even though i still have a quarter left in the tank and use the 89 tune? And is it bad to change tune all the time?
Dude don't do it, especially if you are changing to a race tune. I accidentally put 91 in on a 93 Race tune. Immediately noticed as the car started running like crap. I just thought I had some build up and I drove it aggressively TWICE. On the second run I realized that I grabbed the wrong nozzle (I'm overseas and there's four labels and three colors on there). I switched the tune to 89. Long story short it caused constant misfires and I burnt up an O2 sensor as it tried to lean itself. Just drive the heck out of it and get rid of the current gas and fill up with 93 or 91 before you change the tune. It's not worth the headache.
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

From what I've heard from others the hybrid isn't as aggressive. And when you empty your tank make sure you run it down to at least under 5 miles to E you don't want the 87 mixing with 91. Let me know how it goes!!
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats what i thought so i dont know why i got the hybrid for 89 octane. Is that why i didnt feel any difference from my hybrid tune? How can i change it, should i give them a call?
Yea u should call them & double check that tune maybe it was labeled wrong that's happen to me before! Once ur on the phone with them for that just ask them to send u a 91 hybrid tune!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

From what I've heard from others the hybrid isn't as aggressive. And when you empty your tank make sure you run it down to at least under 5 miles to E you don't want the 87 mixing with 91. Let me know how it goes!!
I took out the hybrid and got the performance tune, and it feels totally different and it is more aggressive, but my problem now right after i changed the tune to performance, check engine light was on and it is reading too lean, can i use the tuner to erase it? Is it serious? Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I took out the hybrid and got the performance tune, and it feels totally different and it is more aggressive, but my problem now right after i changed the tune to performance, check engine light was on and it is reading too lean, can i use the tuner to erase it? Is it serious? Thanks
I've never had a too lean message. But I know some other guys have had them.. I'd like to know too for future reference.
United States Air Force
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Running 89 Octane for Hybrid tune is useful and sense wise as a woman getting D cup implants and wearing baggie shirts all the time. That's just silly and totally defeats the purpose. If you running Hybrid tune your octane tune for that should be 91 or higher. Why would one ask for the most aggressive tune and get a mid grade octane with it.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighebs10 View Post
I've been really considering getting a tuner for my 2010 v6. I've heard it can really effect your engine life.? Anybody have one or know about them?
Since you have the 2010 you have the 4.0 in it. Very strong engine. Whoever told you that a tune will affect engine life doesn't know what he is talking about.

I had a tune on my 2006 - then added a nitrous kit to the car and put many 1/4 mile passes on that 75 shot and tune. At 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous kit off the car and installed the Xcharger supercharger system, upgraded that to the Xtreme kit. I sold the car with 203,000 miles on it, stock top and bottom on the engine, and still running mid12's at the track the week before I sold it. The new owner now has 211,000 on the car and says it still runs great.

So not sure how the tunes affected engine life - but that 4.0 engine in my old car still has a lot of life in it.

What kills the engine is a tune that is too aggressive, allowing the engine to run lean, leading to a piston failure. If the tune is set up correctly (a place like Bama will give you a safe tune and not try to wring every last ounce of HP out of the car) you shouldn't have any worry. Just make sure if you are running a tune for 93 octane that you have 93 octane in the tank and not 87. You can always run more octane than the tune is designed for with no problem (just no benefit to doing so), but you can't go lower on the octane.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I have a question everyone, I have been running the 91Race tune but the exhaust note is a little too loud for me for daily driving. The cops are where I'm from are d*cks about stuff. I like the street tune because it has that low end torque curve, I just run it with 87. Has anyone out there ran it with 91? I'm just wondering if its worth emailing Bama and getting new tunes sent. Is there any difference in the two octanes?
United States Air Force
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a question everyone, I have been running the 91Race tune but the exhaust note is a little too loud for me for daily driving. The cops are where I'm from are d*cks about stuff. I like the street tune because it has that low end torque curve, I just run it with 87. Has anyone out there ran it with 91? I'm just wondering if its worth emailing Bama and getting new tunes sent. Is there any difference in the two octanes?
As I said before, you will get a small amount more power from the 91,
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As I said before, you will get a small amount more power from the 91,
Yes, but is it worth me changing my tunes?
United States Air Force
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I personally think the 91 HYBRID tune is the way to go. Its the most aggressive tune that American Muscle makes while doing it safely for your cars engine. Its awesome.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Get them..try them out & if u don't like them u can always go back to 87! Take advantage of the free tunes for life!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I personally think the 91 HYBRID tune is the way to go. Its the most aggressive tune that American Muscle makes while doing it safely for your cars engine. Its awesome.
Actually the race tune is the most aggressive. We have a thread that at least 3 ppl got better results out of the race tune.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually the race tune is the most aggressive. We have a thread that at least 3 ppl got better results out of the race tune.
Respectfully, not according to American Muscle. The Hybrid tune is there most aggressive tune, more so than the race tune. This was coming from American Muscle directly who makes the tunes. The hybrid tune is combined with the best street and race DNA into one killer tune
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Respectfully, not according to American Muscle. The Hybrid tune is there most aggressive tune, more so than the race tune. This was coming from American Muscle directly who makes the tunes
I know that's why we tested it, bc someone else said they got better results with the race. So a couple guys went out and tested it. All came back saying the race was the better of the two. It was shaving .1-.2 off of 1/4 times and .1 off of 0-60.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How do you get a hybrid? I've only ever seen the street, performance, and race options
United States Air Force
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How do you get a hybrid? I've only ever seen the street, performance, and race options
Ask for it in the comments section when u order ur tunes!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Ask for it in the comments section when u order ur tunes!
Thanks bro!!
United States Air Force
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black

I know that's why we tested it, bc someone else said they got better results with the race. So a couple guys went out and tested it. All came back saying the race was the better of the two. It was shaving .1-.2 off of 1/4 times and .1 off of 0-60.
Yep. The Hybrid tune is pretty damn close to the Race but the Race seems to pull just a bit harder in the higher RPMs.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks bro!!
No problem bro!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Yep. The Hybrid tune is pretty damn close to the Race but the Race seems to pull just a bit harder in the higher RPMs.
I ran the race tune and didnt feel it pull any harder than my hybrid tune. The Hybrid is my favorite tune.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
So let me get this right. I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow to get my oil changed and tires aligned. I have to set my car back to stock right? Or can I leave my tune on and ask them to do no computer stuff?
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #65
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighebs10 View Post
So let me get this right. I'm taking my car to the dealership tomorrow to get my oil changed and tires aligned. I have to set my car back to stock right? Or can I leave my tune on and ask them to do no computer stuff?
If it's only an oil change, then tell them that; tell the service advisor that writes up your service order to write in "no ECU updates". Make sure its on the work order. Ask to see it before the work (oil change in this case) is done. You have the right to specify what work is allowed, and what is not.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Ok great. So there is no need to set it back to stock? Thanks!
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been thinking about purchasing a used tuner and Used intake off of eBay, I have my reservations about going this route but I could score two for the price of one $310 . any advice would be helpful
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
I've been thinking about purchasing a used tuner and Used intake off of eBay, I have my reservations about going this route but I could score two for the price of one $310 . any advice would be helpful
With the tuner make sure its unlocked/unmarried. If its not its a waste of money. If it is unmarried then you will still have to pay $150 for tunes for life from AM. So take those into consideration.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

With the tuner make sure its unlocked/unmarried. If its not its a waste of money. If it is unmarried then you will still have to pay $150 for tunes for life from AM. So take those into consideration.
But those are custom tunes right? If I bought it I could still use the pre-loaded 93 until I chose to pay the $150 for life.i just felt I could save myself some coin by getting used goods and getting a more of my money. I just want to get a cheap tuner so I can get my gears and I don't see the point of spending another $300 for a CAI to give me 10hp
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post

But those are custom tunes right? If I bought it I could still use the pre-loaded 93 until I chose to pay the $150 for life.i just felt I could save myself some coin by getting used goods and getting a more of my money. I just want to get a cheap tuner so I can get my gears and I don't see the point of spending another $300 for a CAI to give me 10hp
I'm not sure I have never used the preloaded tunes. Someone else will probably chime in on this though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang